Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I played this game once. After a point I just kind of gave up; I had too many questions to keep track of, and not enough of them got answers from any of the available stoolies, so I ended up getting frustrated and spending my time reading the books instead.

steinrokkan posted:

Indeed - the Guards storyline is probably the strongest one in the entire universe (IMHO by a long shot).

It is, but maybe give Snuff a miss. It's not up to...er...scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Didn't care for Vimes in this game, actually. There was a spoiler here. It's gone now.

toasterwarrior posted:

And on Snuff: I find it best to consider it a "Vimes" book, not a Watch book. It's part of the story's main theme after all, though even then I still don't like it as much as the main Watch series books.

The Watch arc just isn't as strong when Vimes is trying to carry the whole thing. He needs the rest of the core crew to help round things out.

Not to mention that the whole White Savior thing is pretty drat unusual for the series in general, and Vimes is perhaps the least fitting character upon whom to thrust the role.

Dr. Buttass fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 27, 2013

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Robindaybird posted:

I hadn't played the game and the reviews hadn't been spoiler, just noting there's some criticism in that direction, though I suspect those reviews might be full of dung.

I edited out my earlier spoiler but I don't think it's a spoiler to say: It's not Lewton deflecting. Vimes is definitely suffering from a serious case of not being Vimes, and I'll re-elaborate when Bacter gets there.

Back on the subject of things we're allowed to talk about, there's definitely a twisted sort of logic to firing Lewton and not Nobby. In the books, Fred and Nobby are Vimes' ear on the ground, sort of a barometer of what's on the mind of the man on the street, and Nobby knows most of what needs knowing about the more benign corners of the city's criminal element. In short (very short, this being Nobby), he brings to the table something only Cecil Wormsborough St. John Nobbs can, and it's well worth turning a blind eye to his wide assortment of exceptionally petty crime to have that available to him, and he's reliable, in his own way. I'm willing to bet Lewton was an unremarkable copper, so aside from rubbing Vimes' code of ethics the wrong way by taking a bribe, he proved that he, unlike Nobby, wasn't reliable, and he didn't have any special qualities that made it worthwhile to keep him around anyway. Now just kinda ask yourself what's the best thing to do about an employee who can't be relied upon to do their job and offends your moral sensibilities.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I don't mind the VLP, but I do hope you're going to edit out the myriad "gently caress if I know" answers, those are going to get old really fast for us viewers. 'S'matter of fact that's kind of why I gave up on the game...

And Lewton pronounces "troll" funny. I forgot about that.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

SWMadness posted:

Snuff to me just felt like Pratchett threw together a lot of ideas together and they didn't always really mesh well within the story. The books that I like the best out of the Discworld series tend to have strong unifying themes that tie the narrative together as a whole (e.g, Hogfather, Night Watch), and Snuff, apart from the blindingly obvious "racism is bad" message, felt a lot more muddled. The pacing was also really weird where the big climax happened before the end of the action of the story as a whole and the rest of it just felt like padding.

That's a really good way to put it. Unseen Academicals kind of had the same problem. I spent so much time not really sure where he was going with some of the stuff he was throwing around and it really kind of took me out of the book. Talkative Willikins was sort of jarring too.

Oh, lets hit up the Octarine Parrot.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

BoltR posted:

Reading through the Watch books, at first I kept expecting him to pop up in some way, but it didn't take too long before I realized he wouldn't.

Admittedly, I haven't got through them all yet due to a lack of reading time, and haven't read enough Diskworld in general to know how much continuity is respected. However, it seems to me that you'd have a hard time coming up with a proper 'origin' for him. If that really matters at all in the books.

Due to events in the books he would have been around before Carrot arrived on the scene. Unfortunately, unless it's in a book I haven't yet got to, there is no mention of anyone like him. It's not like the books shy away from mentioning the few old members either. Which are all now dead.
While that in itself is really not important, everything describing recent pre-Carrot times makes it sound like really dark times for the Watch is. They seemed to only really exist in name, just stayed out of everyone's way, and never had any hope, drive, or enthusiasm.
I have a hard time imagining someone so hard-boiled and motivated(?) as Lewton existing in such a environment without rubbing off on the other guys. In at least some way.
Though as I said, I haven't read enough of the books to know the policy on making those kind of changes to the narrative.

All of that said though, I do very much agree with you. With how seedy Ankh-Morpork can be, he would be a great vehicle to see another angle of it. Doesn't hurt that noir is something I also enjoy though.

There's no Lewton in the books. Basically, thanks to events in the books he could only be pre-Carrot but thanks to elements of Lewton's own backstory he could only be post-Carrot. Narrative physicists haven't found a third option yet, so Lewton is just for this game.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Loxbourne posted:

The explanation for this is actually given in Men At Arms, I think. One of the mid-era Watch books, anyway - they don't turn to stone, their heat-sensitive brain isn't used to the temperature shock of sunrise and locks up. Alchemists in Ankh-Morpork start selling a barrier cream that helps them cool down.

Which is also why trolls and dwarfs don't get along. Dwarfs hate it when they go out mining and the ore-bearing rock stands up and boxes their ears, and trolls hate having their nap interrupted because someone is trying to steal their nervous system.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Kloro posted:

I think the reason Dodger was better was because he'd probably had it sitting in a desk drawer for years, and the reason why The Long Earth books are better is because the co-author can do some of the heavy lifting on editing. I did read somewhere that his daughter Rhianna (who wrote the Overlord games, and the recent Tomb Raider reboot) may be taking on some ownership of the Discworld, so maybe she'll co-author the next one, which might help. (The writing for the Overlord games does have a pretty Discworld feel to it - write what you know, I guess.)

Officially speaking, this is the status of Discworld re: Rhianna Pratchett's involvement: She has been groomed, somewhat, to take over the series once her father is either too dead or too senile to write it himself. Pratchett intends to leave her the rights to the series when he dies, that she may have the opportunity to do so. She has not, to my knowledge, made an official statement as to whether or not she intends to actually do so, and may prefer to let the series die with her father.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Bacter posted:

I fully expect to be cage matching a couple of you about Vimes next update or so!

And I am gonna be mad about that, lemme tell yez.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

citybeatnik posted:

If I recall correctly, the landscape directly outside of Morpork is one giant field of cabbages.

Chief export of the major cities of the Sto Plains: Cabbage
Chief flora of the Sto Plains: Cabbage
Chief faune of the Sto Plains: Anything that eats cabbage and doesn't mind not having any friends

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
You guys seriously need to drop the game volume for the over-commentary version, I couldn't understand you or the game.

Loxbourne posted:

When watching this video I was cheerily laughing at classic Colon/Nobby dialogue until a "wait, that's meant to be VIMES?" moment. I seriously wonder if the character was changed during production; that dialogue (a string of deductions clearly flung together to wrap up the case before the next teabreak) is perfect Colon.

That is exactly what pissed me off about Vimes when I played this game. He's totally willing to take a few clues (clues, even, which he hates because they're not proper evidence), a grab-bag of lazy preconceptions, and his own personal grudge against Lewton, and throw them all into a blender to make a lovely smooth batch of Lewton Is Guilty Butter, which is about as fundamentally un-Vimes as it gets without getting into Lord Rust territory. There's no denying he would be suspicious of Lewton for being at the crime scene under suspicious circumstances, but in the books even at his least Vimesinest Vimes hates easy answers like "the suspect I personally don't like did it" or the thought that somewhere out there the real criminal is prowling his city doing more not-justice. Like in Guards! Guards! he might actually arrest Lewton because he's the nearest available suspect who's not putting up a fight and he's got Quirke gloating down his neck, but he'd at least feel bad about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Alkydere posted:

Eventually he just broke and Ponder Stibbons had to take up the slack. The Bursar is basically gently handled by the rest of the UU and left to his own devices in his room now where he practices being a lampshade or doorknob or something not being shouted or shot at by Ridcully.

And then Ponder Stibbons also took up the slack in several other departments and more or less ran the UU other than Ridcully's job which was "being smarter than even the audience thinks you are on first glance" and "herding senior wizards", latter pretty much requires the former.

Basically, the only thing keeping Ponder from running amok with University policy and really getting things done is that unless you can back up your position in a fistfight, if Ridcully the Brown says you answer to him, you answer to Ridcully the Brown.

• Locked thread