Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Six episodes in, but better late than never. Seth MacFarlane is trying to become a movie star now, but the show that put him on the map is still on the air. Discuss, argue, speculate, quote your quotes, and post your gifs here.

Season 12 was co-showrun by Steve Callaghan and Mark Hentemann, both long-time members of the writing staff (Callaghan was a writers' assistant way back in season 1). This was Hentemann's last season on the show, as he and MacFarlane are currently developing Bordertown for Fox.

This season: Cleveland (with his show freshly cancelled) moves back to Quahog, Peter and Quagmire start a folk band, and the Griffins go to Italy. Also, as announced at Comic-Con, one of the Griffins will die and be replaced by a new family member.

Speaking of which, that brings us to tonight's episode:

Episode 1206: "Life of Brian"
Written by: Alex Carter
Directed by: Joseph Lee
"Stewie and Brian travel back in time to 17th-century Jamestown and make too many close calls with changing history. Stewie decides to destroy his time machine, but comes to regret it when Brian dies when he is hit by a car."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
RIP Mayor Adam We. :smith:

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Ladies and gentleman, I believe we have just witnessed the Jurassic Bark of a new generation.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

drat this was even sadder than the finale of Boardwalk Empire.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Ladies and gentleman, I believe we have just witnessed the Jurassic Bark of a new generation.

Except people actually still cared about Futurama when Jurassic Bark aired.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
This is the first episode I've watched of Family Guy in a long time. They couldn't have screwed it up worse. You don't kill a character and return to stupid jokes 5 minutes later. I'm glad I stopped watching.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Absolutely not. This was incredibly ham-handed.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
The dog died when the car hit him

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I am shocked. Brian was my favorite character.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I haven't watched Family Guy since Season 4 or 5 but from what I hear Seth MacFarlane is driving this show into the side of the mountain and it is wonderful.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

TrixRabbi posted:

I haven't watched Family Guy since Season 4 or 5 but from what I hear Seth MacFarlane is driving this show into the side of the mountain and it is wonderful.

He wants it to end, but Fox doesn't.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Maybe it's just a gag. A very elaborate gag.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

When does the rest of the Griffin family die?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Really, this was just a peculiar decision. I was sure it was Meg or Chris who was going to die, as they're kind of useless characters. I don't quite get this though. There's future episodes with Brian in the summary, and there's even one with him in the title, "Brian the Closer".

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 7, 2014

hambeef
Aug 21, 2004

Can they put Ted in this?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I feel like this is yet another instance of Seth taking his genuine belief that Family Guy is an "All In The Family"-esque show to heart. What did a bunch of those poignant 70's sitcoms do? Kill off a main character to shake things up.

Of course, he's forgetting that almost every instance resulted in the show dramatically going downhill so yeah maybe it's intentional show suicide.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Something about Seth McFarlane’s awful self-insert character being killed off says something, dont you think?

Raften
May 20, 2007
Cognates! They stay crunchy, even in milk!

Space_Butler posted:

I feel like this is yet another instance of Seth taking his genuine belief that Family Guy is an "All In The Family"-esque show to heart. What did a bunch of those poignant 70's sitcoms do? Kill off a main character to shake things up.

Of course, he's forgetting that almost every instance resulted in the show dramatically going downhill so yeah maybe it's intentional show suicide.

It could be worse. He could think this is Archie Bunker's Place.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
This is the first episode I've watched in a long time. It's poo poo.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Nichael posted:

Really, this was just a peculiar decision. I was sure it was Meg or Chris who was going to die, as they're kind of useless characters. I don't quite get this though. There's future episodes with Brian in the summary, and there's even one with him in the title, "Brian the Closer".

It's a strong hint that Brian isn't permanently dead.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Nichael posted:

Actually...
That episode is now titled "Vinny the Closer", and the episode mentioned earlier, "Brian's a Bad Father" is "Vinny's a Bad Father"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They replaced a main character with an italian stereotype.

This is more Poochie than Jefferson Darcy.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 7, 2014

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Is that loving Paulie Walnuts voicing Vinny? That's genuinely awesome.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

LividLiquid posted:

They replaced a main character with an italian stereotype.

This is more Poochie than Jefferson Darcy.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Eh, I liked this show when I was a stupid teenager, but all of the characters on it are husks of what they used to be. They really couldn't have done much more to ruin Brian's likablity than they already had.

It's often repeated that Brian is a liberal mouthpeice for Seth Macfarlane, and that maybe was true in the original series, but modern Family Guy, the same show that tried to make Rush Limbaugh look good, is pretty clearly conservative/libertarian slanted and Brian was turned into an ultra strawman the writers liked to shat on.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

escape artist posted:

Actually...
That episode is now titled "Vinny the Closer", and the episode mentioned earlier, "Brian's a Bad Father" is "Vinny's a Bad Father"

Where do you see this?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Pleasant Friend posted:

Eh, I liked this show when I was a stupid teenager, but all of the characters on it are husks of what they used to be. They really couldn't have done much more to ruin Brian's likablity than they already had.

It's often repeated that Brian is a liberal mouthpeice for Seth Macfarlane, and that maybe was true in the original series, but modern Family Guy, the same show that tried to make Rush Limbaugh look good, is pretty clearly conservative/libertarian slanted and Brian was turned into an ultra strawman the writers liked to shat on.

Are you loving kidding? Seriously. Just don't even post anymore because you aren't watching the show. You think this show tried to make Rush Limbaugh look good? That's the dumbest loving thing I might have ever seen posted in this forum.

And you know what? I'm sick of you all acting like Family Guy's glory days were 10 years ago. Oh yeah, we gotta return to the halycon days of Peter licking his nipples in a public pool, and finding cheetos in his manboobs. High brow stuff right there. What a profound character study, this used to be.

The Rush Limbaugh episode was a critique of people who are quick to switch sides and jump on bandwagons. Kind of like how you hopped on the "gently caress Family Guy" bandwagon, because you turned 20, I guess.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Nov 25, 2013

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

escape artist posted:

Are you loving kidding? Seriously. Just don't even post anymore because you aren't watching the show. You think this show tried to make Rush Limbaugh look good? That's the dumbest loving thing I might have ever seen posted in this forum.

And you know what? I'm sick of you all acting like Family Guy's glory days were 10 years ago. Oh yeah, we gotta return to the halycon days of Peter licking his nipples in a public pool, and finding cheetos in his manboobs. High brow stuff right there. What a profound character study, this used to be.

The Rush Limbaugh episode was a critique of people who are quick to switch sides and jump on bandwagons. Kind of like how you hopped on the "gently caress Family Guy" bandwagon, because you turned 20, I guess.

I basically agree. I mean, I don't think the show's as good as it was, but it's not like some kind of massive fall from grace either. It's just kind of a standard slow down that any sitcom experiences. The hate this show gets is unfounded; it's a joke-machine show and it does its job reasonable well (most of the time).

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

escape artist posted:

No, I see the show. I don't like it. It's poo poo. But I still see it because people in my family watch trash shows in the same room as me.

So not only are you stupidly angry for no good reason, the basis for your bad argument is built on stupid assumptions.

It's really odd how you just segue into a tirade about the past episodes not being "high brow", as if that's what people in the past were ever watching it for.
But if you can't understand the difference with people finding juvenile nipple licking and manboob cheetos more palatable to laugh at than bloody gore for gore sake and everyone being completely unlikable assholes, well I don't know what to tell you.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Pleasant Friend posted:

No, I see the show. I don't like it. It's poo poo. But I still see it because people in my family watch trash shows in the same room as me.

So not only are you stupidly angry for no good reason, the basis for your bad argument is built on stupid assumptions.

It's really odd how you just segue into a tirade about the past episodes not being "high brow", as if that's what people in the past were ever watching it for.
But if you can't understand the difference with people finding juvenile nipple licking and manboob cheetos more palatable to laugh at than bloody gore for gore sake and everyone being completely unlikable assholes, well I don't know what to tell you.

You started out the post he originally quoted with the most generic, boilerplate-type criticism that someone who used to watch any show in the history of television before dropping it at some point could be expected to throw around, you then segue into political comparisons you've heard third parties make and finally wrap it all up with how the show made Rush Limbaugh look good in an episode.

I honestly don't see how anyone reading that post would think you haven't stopped watching that show a long while ago and aren't just echoing random reviews/criticisms/comments from third parties...

(...that somehow believe the point of the Rush Limbaugh episode was to make him 'look good', no less)

:psyduck:

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Nov 25, 2013

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
This won't stick, but maybe they'll get a few good episodes out of it. The new dog seems likable, but launching the character as a mishmash of Italian-American stereotypes makes it hard to imagine him as a protagonist for any stories. They still need to fill him out, a lot.

Also, the start of this episode was clearly just "Well we've got years of jokes about Native Americans that we haven't managed to shoehorn in yet, let's just drop them all in at once."

r nasty
Nov 25, 2013

Green and Purple
they can't take brian out because he was in the protopilot precursor thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caR_5BgEgv8

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

You started out the post he originally quoted with the most generic, boilerplate-type criticism that someone who used to watch any show in the history of television before dropping it at some point could be expected to throw around, you then segue into political comparisons you've heard third parties make and finally wrap it all up with how the show made Rush Limbaugh look good in an episode.

I honestly don't see how anyone reading that post would think you haven't stopped watching that show a long while ago and aren't just echoing random reviews/criticisms/comments from third parties...

(...that somehow believe the point of the Rush Limbaugh episode was to make him 'look good', no less)

:psyduck:

I really don't get what you expected me to post with my general disapproval? Just randomly bring up some specific scene I didn't like from some unrelated episode in my initial post?

It was a generic complaint because I didn't expect to have to prove anything. And it's not my fault someone jumped to wrong assumptions from it.

I don't think I want to get into seriously analyzing Family Guy episodes in this thread, because that sounds just awful, but I'll stick with my assessment, Excellence in Broadcasting went out of it's way to make Rush Limbaugh look good.

edit
And just to make it clear, I don't hate Family Guy because it is political.

Pleasant Friend fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 25, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Would it be overly cynical of me to think that they did this just to pull the rug from under the Simpson's plan to also kill off a major character later this season?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Would it be overly cynical of me to think that they did this just to pull the rug from under the Simpson's plan to also kill off a major character later this season?
I doubt it. I think part of it is Seth wanting to shake up the show since he's pretty much done with it, but the network has him under contract and the ratings are still high.

I had to turn off the episode earlier this season where Seth's sister voices some woman who is even crazier than Quagmire, since it was getting too dark even for this show. It was uncomfortable and not funny at all.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was uncomfortable and not funny at all.

Can we rename the thread this because it fits a lot of this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Pleasant Friend posted:

I don't think I want to get into seriously analyzing Family Guy episodes in this thread, because that sounds just awful, but I'll stick with my assessment, Excellence in Broadcasting went out of it's way to make Rush Limbaugh look good.
Honestly, the last time I saw that episode was when it aired, so I might not recall it correctly. However, I don't really think its mission statement was to make Rush Limbaugh look good. I think the mission statement more was "Isn't this crazy? We have one of the worst right wing assholes on our incredibly left wing show. Are you laughing?" Whether or not you laughed is irrelevant and is personal to you.

On a more current topic though, assuming this change sticks on the show (and I am not sure it will), I really feel like future episodes are going to feel incredibly awkward. It's a clear breaking point in the show's basic structure, that feels cheap and soulless. Even by Family Guy cartoon standards. Brian and Stewie are essentially the show's protagonists, after all.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 25, 2013

• Locked thread