Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

heh, that's me. i'm wilson.

Saga posted:

I looked briefly at their website and I guess the kit mfg. does actually intend people to put 'vette engines in these. Have you driven a demonstrator OP? If I were you I would want to be fairly sure this thing will actually move forward and not just rapidly in very small circles. Also that it doesn't feature the handling characteristics of a first generation Viper.

I haven't driven one, no. I talked to other builders before buying though. I know what I am getting into, and even if I wanted something slower there is nothing I could do except start over with a new engine, which would be silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Found your speedometer.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm pretty sure this is what's going to happen the first time you floor it.

And I can't wait :getin:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

More along the lines of "going so fast the world is warped into terrifying incomprehensibility"

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Das Volk posted:

plus some time-attack-esque aero. Kind of like a redneck formula car.

Pleasepleaseplease do this! :iia:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
You doomed yourself by posting this thread.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Phy posted:

More along the lines of "going so fast the world is warped into terrifying incomprehensibility"

The first time he boots it off the line, two of his competitors will turn into a bowl of petunias and a rather surprised sperm whale.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

redscare posted:

You doomed yourself by posting this thread.

If he completes it he's probably going up in a fireball so it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. :haw:

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Ha ha! When he finishes this car it's going to be really fast!

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

InitialDave posted:

The first time he boots it off the line, two of his competitors will turn into a bowl of petunias and a rather surprised sperm whale.

Maybe the whale will miss the ground this time and learn to fly :unsmith:

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

Minor engine update today. Spent a few hours this weekend filing rings down, electric ring file makes this about a 20 minute process per cylinder instead of over an hour like before, so it was more tolerable. Here is a picture of some rings filed and bagged up for use:

Today I started putting pistons in cylinders, which sucks quite a bit using this band style ring clamp I've got. It tends to shift around as you press the cylinder in, causing a ring to occasionally pop out and requiring you to re-clamp everything. I got the first 4 in, and was on pace to get all 8 done before the sun went down. But then I opened one of my rod bearing boxes and discovered this:

The lower bearing surface is pitted in a couple places, so I can't use this bearing. Fortunately they are about $9 and amazon sells them so I'll have another one this week. Probably try and get a cone style ring compressor also, if I can get one for my slightly odd bore size, just to save myself the pain of dealing with the band one more.

Since I still had 3 good bearings, I went ahead and put cylinders 5 and 6 together before calling it quits for the night.

In other news, Evil Genius Racing is going to be helping me out with the front half of the roll cage. I just need to get the car out to them so they can have a look and start designing. Other cool things starting to happen, I think the car actually has a plan now, but I need to wait until I have it locked in before getting carried away there.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

I laughed way too hard at this, imagining the Lo-Vette catapulting in the air from the ridiculous torque it's going to have. Be careful, OP :ohdear:

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

Added a short block update over on the blog site tonight. Thankfully was able to finish the short block, with the tapered ring compressor things were much easier.

Car is also now at Evil Genius Racing getting a roll cage, and a little bit of work done to the rear end to change the angle of forces in event of a rear impact. It'll also come back powder coated, so I'll be able to put the suspension together once I get it back as well.

Decided to go ahead and get some pictures of some of the other kit components while in this bit of a lull, so here we go:

GAZ gold adjustable shocks with coilover perches/springs:

Driveshaft and aluminum fuel tank(which will most likely get turned into a fuel cell, or replaced with one):

The Noise:

Custom axles:

Wilwood prop valve, master cylinder kit, and dynalite calipers, with stainless steel lines:

Wheel hubs, ready for speed sensors:

Now I need to find a cam and some pushrods, and get the heads on this engine.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
What color are you powdercoating it? I hope it's something bright and obnoxious :)

Revelations posted:

Added a short block update over on the blo
The Noise:

That's going to be loving LOUD

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I'm considering switching to an automatic transmission for my Bricklin, which means I'll have a brand new T-56 Magnum and Diamond Clutch kit rated to 700ft lbs. for sale soon.

You're in SoCal if I remember correctly. Let me know if this is something you'd be interested in. If nothing else, I'd knock some money off and you'd save on shipping and have all the parts required.

Edit: Probably should have sent this as a PM.

BoostCreep fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 22, 2013

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

This is insane. I like it.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

This immediately popped into my head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59-ttKvESEQ

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

BoostCreep posted:

I'm considering switching to an automatic transmission for my Bricklin, which means I'll have a brand new T-56 Magnum and Diamond Clutch kit rated to 700ft lbs. for sale soon.

You're in SoCal if I remember correctly. Let me know if this is something you'd be interested in. If nothing else, I'd knock some money off and you'd save on shipping and have all the parts required.

Edit: Probably should have sent this as a PM.

Awesome. I already have a clutch but it is a stock one. Send me a PM with more details?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Phy posted:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Press down accelerator...

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Revelations posted:

Wilwood prop valve, master cylinder kit, and dynalite calipers, with stainless steel lines:

Are those the Wilwoods without dust seals? Checked to see if those will hold up to road use (unless you're in the Southwest or something...)?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

88h88 posted:

Press down accelerator...

This ends with you mysteriously reappearing at turn four of Willow Springs, seven years after you vanished during your first test of full throttle. Sam Neill and Laurence Fishburne are sent out in a recovery truck to investigate.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If you're still in CA...how are you planning on getting this thing street legal? Ice dreamed of doing a kit car for ages and will get around to it once I kick this loving motorcycle habit I have. Living vicariously through this thread until then :)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

InitialDave posted:

This ends with you mysteriously reappearing at turn four of Willow Springs, seven years after you vanished during your first test of full throttle. Sam Neill and Laurence Fishburne are sent out in a recovery truck to investigate.

Holy poo poo :golfclap:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

InitialDave posted:

Where we're going, we won't need OHC.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

aventari posted:

What color are you powdercoating it? I hope it's something bright and obnoxious :)

That's going to be loving LOUD

No doubt on that. I had full length long tubes with bullet mufflers on a high power LS1. People could literally hear me a mile away, and within 100 feet it sounded like a jet engine taking off (the S/C did anyway).

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

Z3n posted:

If you're still in CA...how are you planning on getting this thing street legal? Ice dreamed of doing a kit car for ages and will get around to it once I kick this loving motorcycle habit I have. Living vicariously through this thread until then :)

Standing in line at the DMV January 2 trying to get an SB100. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Revelations posted:

Standing in line at the DMV January 2 trying to get an SB100. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Good luck! Get there loving early!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Turbochargers actually do a pretty good job of reducing exhaust noise.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
:stare:

That is a good point.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Revelations posted:

No reason to wait in line now. I got the SB100 for the Noble in July and they still had plenty left. It's not like the old days.

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

Comrade Flynn posted:

No reason to wait in line now. I got the SB100 for the Noble in July and they still had plenty left. It's not like the old days.

Thank God for that, since I haven't managed to get all the paperwork copied yet.

Spent a bunch of time today painting just the fenders/wheel covers/whatever they are called. Mostly for lack of anything else productive I can do on the car at the moment, while engine parts are in transit and the frame is still at the shop. Pictures/words over on the blog for anyone interested in details on that.

Also unwrapped the steering rack:

And the ECM and engine harness:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Now come full circule and run a 0.062:1 rear end.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Revelations posted:

Thank God for that, since I haven't managed to get all the paperwork copied yet.

I think I have PTSD from the paperwork nightmare.

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

Got my SB100 today, and a 3 month moving permit! Still a bit of work to do to finish the registration process more permanently, once it is assembled, but it has a smog exempt status. 4 hours at the DMV sorting out paperwork, glad that part is over. I get to do most of it again once it is road worthy since it needs an inspection by the CHP before I can finalize everything.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Please, AI Superbeings, do not let this be the last post in this thread of wonderment.

Thank you.

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

Help me with my paint, AI. Today I wet sanded one of the wheel flares to try and smooth it out, ended up being best if I started with 400, then 600, 1000, and finally 2000 grit. Got it to be very smooth, but I'm not sure if I like it more this way. It loses a lot of the clarity/depth of the clear coat, but that may be because my polishing has been inadequate so far? I did this one by hand, I think tomorrow I may pick up a double action buffer and see if that improves the situation at all. Going over the pieces this closely I notice a handful of issues on each one, in addition to the actual fiberglass touch ups I'll need to eventually do. These are all definitely getting resprayed at a later point in life, so it is a good learning experience. I also think if I buff it out any more it will end up being more like a gloss finish than the satin was meant to be originally. Anyways, here is a shot of the one I worked on today next to an untouched counterpart. Suggestions?

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007
I'm not a paint expert so take this with a grain of salt, but I think the teeny little grooves from sanding are upping the surface layer by reflecting more light, making it look washed out by comparison to the satincoat. Buffing might help from the buffing compound filling in/evening out the grooves in addition to the pad and pressure physically smoothing the peaks a bit but then you might as well polish it and that's sort of not the point of having had it satin coated, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Check out the detailing thread. Your wetsanding job was great! However you need to properly buff it for sure.

• Locked thread