Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, wet sanding will give you a smooth, flat surface, but you'll probably need something more aggressive than a regular polish to get the lustre you want. Try a relatively mild compound to start with, and take it from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Revelations posted:

Help me with my paint, AI. Today I wet sanded one of the wheel flares to try and smooth it out, ended up being best if I started with 400, then 600, 1000, and finally 2000 grit. Got it to be very smooth, but I'm not sure if I like it more this way. It loses a lot of the clarity/depth of the clear coat, but that may be because my polishing has been inadequate so far? I did this one by hand, I think tomorrow I may pick up a double action buffer and see if that improves the situation at all.

You must buff after wetsanding. Get a DA and research what pads/compounds you can use to buff with it. DAs typically aren't powerful enough to buff panels after wetsanding, but apparently there are a couple of aggressive new pads/compounds that will let you do it anyway.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I wetsanded a scratch out of the clearcoat of my black Audi a few years ago, scared the poo poo out of me but i kept going at it with finer and finer grain compound and in the end it was shinier then the rest of the car.

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

heh, that's me. i'm wilson.
Mostly a bump update here to keep this from going all archives on me. Most of the car is at Evil Genius Racing getting worked on and powder coated still, I will be able to go out there and get it in the next few weeks I hope. I bought a Porter Cable buffer to work on the painting, but got a notice from my HOA that "repairing or restoring motor vehicles" is against the rules, so I'm chilling out on the obvious things like having a garage paint tent. While that is going on, I'm looking into alternative workspaces and whatever else to prevent this from becoming a bigger issue.

Aside from that, I've done a bit more engine work by getting the (nice, mild)cam:

All lubed up:

And in the block:

I also have a stack of engine parts, but unfortunately discovered that my front engine cover kit did not come with a cam thrust plate. So I've ordered that, along with an oil pan, windage tray, pickup, and dipstick. The only remaining engine component I need(as far as I currently am aware) is a front accessory/belt system to drive the water pump and alternator. Looking to have a more substantial update in the next week or two with a whole lot more work done on that engine.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Revelations posted:

but got a notice from my HOA that "repairing or restoring motor vehicles" is against the rules, so I'm chilling out on the obvious things like having a garage paint tent. While that is going on, I'm looking into alternative workspaces and whatever else to prevent this from becoming a bigger issue.
oh man, I thought the whole reason you lived out in the 'burbs was so you could have a place to work on poo poo. It's a private enclosed garage right? I assume one of your nosy neighbors ratted you out?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

How dare you fix your car in your own garage? only plebs in the woods do that :colbert:

HOA's can go gently caress themselves.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I can understand like in holdobrook's case where they'd want cars that move under their own power to prevent the proverbial trans-am on blocks.

But if I'm fixing a car and it's not sitting torn apart in my driveway for a week then why the fawk can't I do what I want, especially in a garage. Paint tent in a driveway I can understand but your own garage is another story.

This is a reason why I will never live in an HOA area.. I'm not down with paying money so a bunch of nancy home-makers can decide what I can and can't do at my house.

I've heard stories of a guy that had to fight to keep the truck he owned and used for work parked in his driveway because the HOA said all cars needed to be parked in a garage. But the garage didn't fit his pickup.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You are neither restoring nor repairing a car; you're building it. It's like getting kicked out of a no-surgery zone for delivering a baby.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

tater_salad posted:

I've heard stories of a guy that had to fight to keep the truck he owned and used for work parked in his driveway because the HOA said all cars needed to be parked in a garage. But the garage didn't fit his pickup.

The original bylaws of my neighborhood actually had this sort of thing in them, specifically for "commercial vehicles"; I looked them over when we bought the place and it's one of the only rules they changed, and made more lenient as a result.

They actually tend to err on the side of leniency now; I'd certainly rather not have the HOA all up in everyone's poo poo, but if you have to have a one-ton long-wheelbase pickup for work, one would think you would see if it would fit in either the garage or the driveway before you buy a place. A lot of the driveways in this neighborhood are damned short (mine is not, thankfully) so there's at least three or four houses here where you can't actually stay on the sidewalk because the rear axle of a truck is blocking it (and the front bumper is within 6" of the garage door).

I can actually get at least three cars in my driveway if none are extended-wheelbase trucks and I make sure to pull all the way forward. Possibly four if two of them were compacts.

That cam seems roughly similar to the Texas Speed 224R my dad had in his '01 Camaro. That thing made 381RWHP through a T-56, with a conservative 91 octane tune, long-tube headers to a catted Y-pipe and then a cutout. Stock heads and intake manifold (though I think on an '01 LS1, those were already upgraded to the LS6 pieces from the factory).

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

Hog Obituary posted:

oh man, I thought the whole reason you lived out in the 'burbs was so you could have a place to work on poo poo. It's a private enclosed garage right? I assume one of your nosy neighbors ratted you out?

I can only assume so. For now I'm keeping the garage door closed while I work on things, but that means less on the aerosol solvents and other things. Also got more light in there so I can do that.

I'm still debating my ultimate response to this. No reason for me to pay what I do in rent if I can't use my space, especially if I end up renting a workshop somewhere nearby.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
That's the kind of crap I hate. So your kid who sucks at drums can bang wood on metal all day, but I can't turn a socket wrench in an enclosed space?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Revelations posted:

I can only assume so. For now I'm keeping the garage door closed while I work on things, but that means less on the aerosol solvents and other things. Also got more light in there so I can do that.

I'm still debating my ultimate response to this. No reason for me to pay what I do in rent if I can't use my space, especially if I end up renting a workshop somewhere nearby.

Would a ventilator and an exhaust vent be doable? Ventilators are relatively cheap compared to what I imagine the budget on this car is, but having an exhaust fan on your garage seems like something the HOA might protest. Depending on the construction it could take you as little as an hour to install a 6x6 exhaust fan.

EDIT: something like these http://www.rewci.com/121620exfa.html

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Pick up the most nasty, rusted, and worst running honey wagon that can be found on Craigslist and park that fucker on the street in front of your house for a few hours several days a week :haw:

'It's not mine there's just something really lovely (pun required) with our pipes I guess' :shrug:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Revelations posted:

poo poo you're only renting? I assumed you owned the place. I'd move the hell out of there.

Seriously though, auto enthusiasts should never even consider buying/renting a house within an HOA. Even if it's initially lenient it could change with a vote and you're screwed.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Revelations posted:

I'm still debating my ultimate response to this.
Please make it something infuriating and hilariously passive-aggressive.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Revelations posted:

but got a notice from my HOA that "repairing or restoring motor vehicles" is against the rules, so I'm chilling out on the obvious things like having a garage paint tent.

Technically, building from the ground up is neither repairing nor restoring.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Don't take HOA threats seriously until you get a court summons. My tenant gets about 3 a year and I just toss them in the trash. If you respond politely you will usually stave off the next level of HOA jerkiness. You should say you are building a lawn mower not a car. No rules against law maintenance right?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

It's not a vehicle, I'm making art. Don't try to stifle my creativity. :black101:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

They actually tend to err on the side of leniency now; I'd certainly rather not have the HOA all up in everyone's poo poo,

My friend found a convenient loophole in his HOA neighborhood because the rules stated all of that.. Except he is the second owner and was never given any sort of HOA paperwork or agreements to sign since he purchased the house as a foreclosure from the bank. He is also a contractor so he parks his commercial work truck in the driveway since it also won't fit in the garage. The HOA threatened to do fine him and do all sorts of things, but him being who he is told them to go gently caress themselves and to get off his property otherwise he's calling the police. They didn't move, he called and that ended his hassles with the HOA. He has since updated the facade from distressed foreclosure property to something more pleasurable to the eye and repainted his house from McMansion beige to something that matched the new look.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

keykey posted:

Except he is the second owner and was never given any sort of HOA paperwork or agreements to sign since he purchased the house as a foreclosure from the bank.

Nice story.....but HOAs are title encumbrances. You don't need to be notified of them, and being in foreclosure doesn't remove them from the title.

They just gave up on him for now, but they can and will demand their fees, etc if it suits them.

HOAs are evil and the laws allowing them to have a title encumbrance are short sighted and wrong.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Motronic posted:

They just gave up on him for now, but they can and will demand their fees, etc if it suits them.

They'll probably just stop until the property is sold, then... surprise! There's "x" number of years of fees not paid, and penalties that accrued monthly. It can get to be quite a bill (I just saw what the HOA of my neighbor is looking for out of the property after she stopped paying for everything in 2010).

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah that doesn't work in a deed-restricted "community."

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
All the term HOA makes me think of is the X-Files episode Arcadia.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
"But I don't want my neighbor to put a bunch of cars up on blocks in his yard!"

Ok, that's what city ordinances are for, you know those things with legal oversight.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
In my parents HOA controlled gated community they put in speed bumps when I was 18 or so, I'm sure it was partly my fault for driving a loud car, dont remember how many times I was yelled at by parents for driving through the neighborhood at 15 mph to slow down.

Anyway people more or less stopped going to the meetings or voting on HOA stuff. Last year they decided out of the blue to triple the amount of speed bumps in the small neighborhood, including one on either side of the pointless stop sign at a T intersection, everyone flipped their poo poo and had to pay to get them removed less then a month later.

edit: sorry about continuing HOA chat that explodes every once in a while in AI. Saw bits of the car in person just after christmas, Revelations was nice enough to let me park my shitbox next to it in his garage and sleep in his spare room when I was driving LA-Vancouver .

D C fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 28, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The reason why HOA rants pop up in AI is because it's against everything that AI stands for pretty much.

HOA's are for people that buy new cars every three years and pay other people to maintain them.

[/rant]

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

leica posted:

The reason why HOA rants pop up in AI is because it's against everything that AI stands for pretty much.

HOA's are for people that buy new cars every three years and pay other people to maintain them.

[/rant]

I got lucky. Mine only has 6 "laws" and there are plenty of car guys. To the left is a newer dodge viper where the owner does his own work, and to the right moved in a mustang guy. The guy across the street has a few off road cars like a jeep, 4runner, and sandrail, none of them stock.

The laws only state that non running cars be not visible from the street and it's only $36/YR, so no management company.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

leica posted:

[/rant]

Agreed.
Though, maybe they exist for people that live like slobs and need neighbors to hold their hands to keep their filthy habits in check? I really have no idea, I've never seen the appeal of buying a lovely build quality cookie cutter home for an over-inflated price then pay monthly for people to bitch about any tiny little detail. I'd rather pay a little more and live in an established neighborhood of custom homes with neighbors that keep to themselves. /rant thingy too.

edit:
Back on topic, I can't wait to see this build move forward again, it's been a thing of wonder and beauty thus far.

keykey fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 28, 2014

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

Another big update with plenty of pictures over on the blog: http://jamesbuildsacar.wordpress.com/2014/02/17/engine-and-roll-cage-progress/

Pretty happy with the continued progress, getting close to taking a weekend over at Evil Genius Racing to put the suspension together. Unfortunately I still don't have wheels, hopefully I can get those ordered and sent to the shop before I get out there myself, and maybe I can roll the thing onto a trailer that way.

Pretty impressed with this Holley oil pan, I just hope it is enough to prevent my engine from killing itself. I suppose pulling the engine and installing an aftermarket dry sump system later isn't out of the question, for now I am too concerned about making sure things fit in the car to go messing with the external dimensions of the oil system too much.

Also bummed these valve spring retainers seem to be wrong for my valves, since the notch they rest in is quite close to the top of the valve, causing the retainers themselves to be the thing that sticks up the most. Right now as the rocker arms sit, they rest mostly on the retainers, which isn't a situation I can run with at all. Time to go order some more valve spring retainers!

As a side note, do you all prefer if I do a separate writeup and include the same pictures from the blog here?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Revelations posted:

As a side note, do you all prefer if I do a separate writeup and include the same pictures from the blog here?

Only if you change its title to "James goes through the pearly gates backwards and on fire"

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Targa Newfoundland? Holy poo poo.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I live in the only kind of HOA that's acceptable to me. 100% voluntary, and exists only to maintain the few common areas in the neighborhood.

I'm not a member. :v:

The only time a neighbor has ever commented about any car work was when I had the Altima on jack stands in the driveway - my :corsair: neighbor behind me (alley) asked what was broken, and if I needed to borrow any tools.

I do have a NIMBY neighbor at the end of the street who's a giant douche to pretty much everyone, but most of us just ignore him (or tell him to gently caress off).

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Revelations posted:

I would much prefer this.

This car is still nuts

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It always amazes me how much work goes into rebuilding an engine from scratch, and how many fiddly little parts with tight clearances are involved.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Targa is totally badass. Too bad this year they don't have a city stage, but hopefully next year!

So many new shiny parts.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
You are doing a Targa? IN THAT?????

Holy poo poo. Dude, get that cage and go even further with it - much further.

rowebot44
Feb 21, 2006
I have a set of Camaro wheels if you need something to roll it around. I also might be taking 2 trips up north this month so i can drop them off.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

It's an exhaust face hugger. Holy poo poo.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Revelations posted:

Pictures go in the thread! So yeah do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Holy poo poo, its Bum the Sad.

• Locked thread