Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Das Volk posted:

which means it's an unreliable POS no warranty can fix

You sure do sound like a BMW owner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Isn't your Mustang basically brand new? What the hell are you doing to it?

Leave nothing fixed.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Folks, new innovations are being brought to you in the interest of time savings and efficiency! Therefore, if you have any questions about the status of Revs' Mustang, you need only click below:

http://isrevscarfixedyet.com/

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A fresh take on "at least they circled the problem!" :haw:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Das Volk posted:

Honestly he drives the thing (ever so slightly) less aggressively than I drive my M3. It's just got American car syndrome (which means it's an unreliable POS no warranty can fix)

Jesus Christ. It's poo poo like this that makes me appreciate my reliable 3 thousand dollar Miata even more, if I paid that much for a NEW car with those kind of problems I'd be loving livid.

Seems like you're better off waiting until every single bug and tsb/recall has been worked out and buying used.

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

heh, that's me. i'm wilson.
I feel it would be unkind of me not to share this with you guys:

That is a SPEC stage 2 clutch with about 800 miles on it. I'm impressed by the state of the pressure plate, considering.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Spec had better be giving you a new clutch.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Fucknag posted:

Show us on the Forza model where the bad car touched you(r wallet.)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2936086

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

leica posted:

Jesus Christ. It's poo poo like this that makes me appreciate my reliable 3 thousand dollar Miata even more, if I paid that much for a NEW car with those kind of problems I'd be loving livid.

Seems like you're better off waiting until every single bug and tsb/recall has been worked out and buying used.

What sent this into a spiral was how terribly the dealership treated him. The original problem was a very obviously broken pressure plate, and they stalled and harassed him, lying about it being due to abuse and he finally had to take it to arbitration (BBB decisions in CA are legally binding.) He won, but now has an entirely different issue as the explosion cracked the bellhousing and destroyed several other components with it.

The thing that really sets me off is the attitude American car dealerships have of "cheat the customer as much as possible whenever possible" and making enemies out of their customers. It's that mindset that put me off GM (and now Ford) for good.

Hopefully this gets sorted soon so work can resume on the Lotus.

Edit: After seeing how much damage the bellhousing took I can also say scatter shields aren't a bad idea.

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 14, 2014

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
So the OEM pressure plate failed, dealership didn't want to warranty it, revs went to BBB, forced them to fix it, they put in this Spec clutch, and now the disc has exploded, and that damaged the bellhousing? What does the spec pressure plate look like? Seems kind of odd for a broken pressure plate to not damage the bellhousing but a blown up disc, which should mostly be contained within the PP somehow did.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm familiar, it's one of the threads that got me to register. :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Wow, holy poo poo. Gotta love dealership revenge, huh?

They probably got the lot boy to jam in the clutch without alignment while making :hurr: sounds. That sucks, Revs. Hopefully it gets taken care of.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

jamal posted:

revs went to BBB

Why would anyone go to the BBB these days? More often than not, they're even more crooked than the people you're complaining about.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

jamal posted:

So the OEM pressure plate failed, dealership didn't want to warranty it, revs went to BBB, forced them to fix it, they put in this Spec clutch, and now the disc has exploded, and that damaged the bellhousing? What does the spec pressure plate look like? Seems kind of odd for a broken pressure plate to not damage the bellhousing but a blown up disc, which should mostly be contained within the PP somehow did.

Here's a few more pictures:

MrChips posted:

Why would anyone go to the BBB these days? More often than not, they're even more crooked than the people you're complaining about.

In California the BBB is a legally-binding arbitrator of disputes between consumers and automakers, including the Lemon Law. They're the ones who filed the judgment against GM and got me my refund for the Corvette.

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

jamal posted:

I got reimbursed for the first clutch issue, which I fixed myself after the car sat on the dealer lot for a month. I installed this spec disc and the aluminum flywheel myself, unfortunately.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Look, I'm not saying your car should have this engine, but your car should absolutely have this goddamn engine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FERRARI-F40-Engine-NOS-Complete-BRAND-NEW-328-512-308-Testarossa-/161337171741?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Comrade Flynn posted:

Look, I'm not saying your car should have this engine, but your car should absolutely have this goddamn engine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FERRARI-F40-Engine-NOS-Complete-BRAND-NEW-328-512-308-Testarossa-/161337171741?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

I just put a bid on that thing. Not very much but who knows, maybe nobody else will bid on it and I'll get a Ferrari engine for a buck. :v:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Tremek posted:

Folks, new innovations are being brought to you in the interest of time savings and efficiency! Therefore, if you have any questions about the status of Revs' Mustang, you need only click below:

http://isrevscarfixedyet.com/

I was going to challenge this, but the passenger-side door lock on my Escape has decided to stop working. :v:

Carry on.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Das Volk posted:

In California the BBB is a legally-binding arbitrator of disputes between consumers and automakers, including the Lemon Law. They're the ones who filed the judgment against GM and got me my refund for the Corvette.

I guess it is a local thing, but my local chapter of the BBB here in :canada: is completely useless, if not downright counterproductive for the consumer to interact with.

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

Mustang is finally put together again, which means I can focus on this thing again soon. Ford cut me a check for the repair the first time around, still talking with spec clutches about this new issue.

Mostly a bump to keep this alive, really hoping for more soon, I miss making decent progress on this.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Just read through a few pages I missed. You're coming to Newfoundland to race that thing in Targa? Holy Christ I can't wait to see this thing in person

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

Made it out to the shop to test fit the suspension finally. They've done a great job on the cage, and reinforcing the back of the car. I got to mostly assemble the passenger side front and rear suspension, only didn't do the steering rack or rear toe link, and the rear spindles seem to be drilled incorrectly for the rear wheel hubs, so I need to get in contact with Brunton about that and see what they recommend.

Some pictures:

Rear suspension test fit with new cage and rear end

Front suspension test fit

If they are upside down in the thumbnails imgur just hasn't updated yet, sorry about that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Nice progress.

What changed with imgur or the forums so thumbnails don't open in place? They're posted inside URL tags, but even changing to just timg tags doesn't work like it used to?

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
Wait, are those the final spindles/uprights or just really fancy mock-ups? Cause I don't think heim joints will work that way. At the top you'll have have lateral play and at the bottom you'll have the full suspension load, not even in shear on the threaded section of the joint. I know heim joints are strong, and I've seen them used like in the bottom on locosts before but not in a heavy monster power build.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

meatpimp posted:

Nice progress.

What changed with imgur or the forums so thumbnails don't open in place? They're posted inside URL tags, but even changing to just timg tags doesn't work like it used to?

Revelations is copy/pasting the "Linked BBcode" to Small Square images versus just grabbing the "Direct Link" for Large images (which are the default non-table-breaky size). The forums are smart enough to tell when you're pasting in imgur images and wrap them in image tags automagically.

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

Bibendum posted:

Wait, are those the final spindles/uprights or just really fancy mock-ups? Cause I don't think heim joints will work that way. At the top you'll have have lateral play and at the bottom you'll have the full suspension load, not even in shear on the threaded section of the joint. I know heim joints are strong, and I've seen them used like in the bottom on locosts before but not in a heavy monster power build.

The top is one heim joint with conical spacers bolted to a giant eyelet essentially. The bottom is one heim with conical spacers and threaded upwards into the upright, and a second similar one for the tie rod. Seems to work for them, this is what they ship for all the LS powered kits.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
Ah, if the outer ones are just eyelets without articulation that makes more sense. Still seems sub-optimal to me, but I would have just done fabricated steel uprights.

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

Another day at the shop, progress is being made. Test fit all the suspension, including steering and rear toe links. Brake and clutch pedal are nearly mounted, we did a little fab work to clean up the way they mount and make them more easily serviceable in the future. I only have a couple of pictures from today, but tomorrow should be more interesting.

Loose rear driver's side suspension

Rear coils and the new rear frame bars Evil Genius Racing added

Front driver's side setup, with steering arm and test fit caliper

Summit Racing, in Nevada

I also made the trek out to Summit Racing to pick up the transmission, and see the shop there. More pictures of everything from that trip tomorrow, along with more progress.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Revelations posted:

Summit Racing, in Nevada

I also made the trek out to Summit Racing to pick up the transmission, and see the shop there. More pictures of everything from that trip tomorrow, along with more progress.

You swapped the tranny right there in the parking lot, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIHhI7aROL4

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Revelations posted:

Shame, I still have this magnum t56 for sale.

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

BoostCreep posted:

Shame, I still have this magnum t56 for sale.

drat, I totally forgot you had that. Sorry about that.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Revelations posted:

drat, I totally forgot you had that. Sorry about that.

It's alright, just would have saved you $500 or so. It's about time I threw it on craigslist anyway.

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

Spent another day at the shop today and made a lot of good progress. Clutch and brake pedals are mounted and the seat position is measured up, but I don't really have pictures of that part of the process today. I'll just jump to the pictures.

My day started like this. The collection of things from Summit Racing yesterday.

The T56 Magnum transmission. This one's ratios are 2.97, 2.10, 1.46, 1:1, .74, .50.

Super classy high technology for mounting the flywheel and clutch. I actually changed the bolts on the pressure plate after this picture but didn't take another.

Engine in car. Between the previous picture and here, I attached the bellhousing to the transmission, and then transmission to engine on the bench. The bellhousing to engine was kind of a pain in the rear end, two of the bolt holes are not cleared enough for M10 bolt heads and I had to hit the hardware store for some M10 cap screws to make that fit properly.

I kept thinking I should take some pictures of the bellhousing mounted to the transmission but I didn't take the time to wash my hands and do it.

At this point we were kind of dumb and pulled the engine/transmission back out because we couldn't fit the headers on. Once we had the engine out we discovered we were just supposed to hang them on the outside of the car like you see here and they'd line up fine. We're getting pretty good at pulling and installing the engine, which is good because it will be coming back out after we finish fitting everything.

Complete drivetrain, minus the drive axles. Turns out the best way to get the diff in there is to push it into the cradle upside down and rotate it in the cradle at the back. The driveshaft itself takes a bit of work arranging to fit it between the diff and transmission. On final assembly I will probably install the driveshaft to the transmission first and install the differential after that to avoid that headache.

And there we are, today's progress. Unfortunately I'm not able to be at the shop the rest of the week, but some of the welding and other fab work can continue from this point in my absence. Hopefully I'll have some more progress relatively soon.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Is that a 242 in the background?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Holy crap, the shear size of the drivetrain compared to the whole car is just ridiculous!

Also, is that your caged 242 in the background? Looks nice too!

E:F,b
Really?

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

Got a PM asking for info, so here's the current state of the project. Haven't had a chance to get out to the shop since last post, but I had a throttle pedal sent out, and they were able to weld up the floor and mount the seats according to what we'd measured and talked about while I was there. Here's a shot of the seats/floor in the car:

The throttle assembly setup sounds like it isn't awesome, so we'll be looking at a new way to mount and hook that up potentially next time I'm out there. I also expect to be hanging bodywork and making sure everything fits flush before sending the frame off to be powder coated. Hopefully I can get that handled shortly after thanksgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

Have made it out to the shop a handful of times since the last post, and most of the bodywork is trimmed up and mocked onto the car at this point. Light on pictures since my time at the shop is so limited, it is difficult for me to pause and get the camera out. I'll post up what I do have soon, but I wanted to get a small update out! Potentially this weekend I'll be finishing up the transmission tunnel body work, the firewall/cowl, mounting the hood, and running brake and fuel lines. At which point I should be ready to disassemble the car and send a bunch of things off for powder coating, ceramic coating, and maybe some anodizing.

• Locked thread