Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Here's a couple more pictures I took last night while we installed the crank and main bearings:

600+hp crank in that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

I guess you can route the catch can straight into the diff housing :haw:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Some really tall gearing might help keep the car under control, plus some time-attack-esque aero. Kind of like a redneck formula car. BTW Revelations has already committed to running this thing at the hillclimb :getin:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

This immediately popped into my head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59-ttKvESEQ

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Revelations posted:

As a side note, do you all prefer if I do a separate writeup and include the same pictures from the blog here?

Only if you change its title to "James goes through the pearly gates backwards and on fire"

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Isn't your Mustang basically brand new? What the hell are you doing to it?

Honestly he drives the thing (ever so slightly) less aggressively than I drive my M3. It's just got American car syndrome (which means it's an unreliable POS no warranty can fix)

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

leica posted:

Jesus Christ. It's poo poo like this that makes me appreciate my reliable 3 thousand dollar Miata even more, if I paid that much for a NEW car with those kind of problems I'd be loving livid.

Seems like you're better off waiting until every single bug and tsb/recall has been worked out and buying used.

What sent this into a spiral was how terribly the dealership treated him. The original problem was a very obviously broken pressure plate, and they stalled and harassed him, lying about it being due to abuse and he finally had to take it to arbitration (BBB decisions in CA are legally binding.) He won, but now has an entirely different issue as the explosion cracked the bellhousing and destroyed several other components with it.

The thing that really sets me off is the attitude American car dealerships have of "cheat the customer as much as possible whenever possible" and making enemies out of their customers. It's that mindset that put me off GM (and now Ford) for good.

Hopefully this gets sorted soon so work can resume on the Lotus.

Edit: After seeing how much damage the bellhousing took I can also say scatter shields aren't a bad idea.

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

jamal posted:

So the OEM pressure plate failed, dealership didn't want to warranty it, revs went to BBB, forced them to fix it, they put in this Spec clutch, and now the disc has exploded, and that damaged the bellhousing? What does the spec pressure plate look like? Seems kind of odd for a broken pressure plate to not damage the bellhousing but a blown up disc, which should mostly be contained within the PP somehow did.

Here's a few more pictures:

MrChips posted:

Why would anyone go to the BBB these days? More often than not, they're even more crooked than the people you're complaining about.

In California the BBB is a legally-binding arbitrator of disputes between consumers and automakers, including the Lemon Law. They're the ones who filed the judgment against GM and got me my refund for the Corvette.

• Locked thread