Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Add me to the pile of folks that heard that this game, while fine on its own, just doesn't look as good when it's compared to its namesake. It'll be nice to see how it plays, and to see the story people talk about.

On top of that, I saw a .GIF of Dante looking into a mirror with a mop-thing falling on his head and I swore it had to be edited in. Directly calling attention to how he's missing the hair, it was ridiculous. Then I saw video of the moment and had a good laugh.

It's no "Dante waxing Shakespearean" but there was something there for a moment. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]:
Don't worry. DmC has all the Shakespearean themes, you'll ever need.

Aurain posted:

My favourite part of this is the fact they released an iPhone app pre-release that allowed you to fight the man.

I should hope the irony is not lost on anyone here.

Ah, yes, The Eye of Dante.

The marketing campaign was hilarious too, for all the wrong reasons.
Hey, Anonymous and the Occupy Movement are things to youth, right? See how down we are with the kids?

Thankfully, it's got no real bearing on the game. Just a lovely tie-in.

[e]: They actually gave multiple (contradictory) reasons as to why they didn't have the manual lock-on. One was that they thought a lock-on system was too complicated for players (what.), another was that it was planned early on, but removed to accomadate NT's control scheme, and yet another says it was never planned at all. I dunno.

It does have a soft lock-on, but only for flying enemies. IIRC
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 27, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

On top of what everyone else has mentioned, I still can't believe they tried to pull the 30fps is just as good as 60fps bullshit. And then tried to defend their decision not to have lock-on saying the game doesn't need it. I sure with I had it when dealing with those annoying loving flying enemies. DmC is a terrible DMC game and a mediocre brawler at best. I am curious to how the thread reacts to some(all) of the terrible story moments in this game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't believe Capcom let them keep the mop hair thing in. Yes, clearly the way to endear your reboot to fans of the series is to take a cheap shot at it and imply you're much cooler. :pwn:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sindai posted:

I can't believe Capcom let them keep the mop hair thing in. Yes, clearly the way to endear your reboot to fans of the series is to take a cheap shot at it and imply you're much cooler. :pwn:
You should have seen the interviews and marketing pre-release. Capcom and NT kept trying to alter history so that DMC was a series nobody liked with a lame protagonist everyone laughed at.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Endorph posted:

You should have seen the interviews and marketing pre-release. Capcom and NT kept trying to alter history so that DMC was a series nobody liked with a lame protagonist everyone laughed at.

The funny thing was, I remember most of the reasons given as to why Dante was so terrible were the exact reasons why he's so popular. Go fig.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

Ughh, don't even remind me, Antoniades's SUCH a loving douche.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

This game. This goddamn game. It's no wonder Ninja Theory is moving to mobile game business.

If this is true then that's what I call a happy ending.

I hope NT's artists find work elsewhere, though. The visual component of their games has always been crazy impressive, especially in DmC. It's absolutely everything else about them that's a shame.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Aumanor posted:

Ughh, don't even remind me, Antoniades's SUCH a loving douche.

I'm sure we'll get into some of the douchey things he said during development, but for now I'll leave you with this:

Ok, so they only look kinda similar.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: That was an unfortunate coincidence, but it really didn't help things.

Endorph posted:

The PR and marketing for this game was the worst, holy poo poo.

Especially after the immediate release of the initial trailer, with Ninja Theory basically saying that classic Dante was suddenly "no longer cool", and that "Dante, dressed as he was, would be laughed out of a Tokyo bar".

While new Dante's design was this, at the time:

Coming off this, which was also an early design,

After initially having been told by Capcom not to use this sort of design, because it was too similar to classic Dante.

Had the PR been better earlier on, it may have had a more pleasant reception, than it did. Needlessly antagonising the people who you're trying to get to buy your game probably wasn't the best idea.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 28, 2013

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Oxxidation posted:

If this is true then that's what I call a happy ending.

I hope NT's artists find work elsewhere, though. The visual component of their games has always been crazy impressive, especially in DmC. It's absolutely everything else about them that's a shame.

That's a big reason why I liked Enslaved: Odyssey to the West; game looked spectacular.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I dig the whole Limbo mechanic, no lie, but I'll just echo the "ugh" feeling New Dante gives several other people in this thread. Whoever said he's simply not charming is spot on.

Also gently caress me but Mundus and everything up until the actual gameplay started are just lame.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 28, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lotish posted:

I dig the whole Limbo mechanic, no lie, but I'll just echo the "ugh" feeling New Dante gives several other people in this thread. Whoever said he's simply not charming is spot on.

Also gently caress me but Mundus and everything up until the actual gameplay started are just lame.

Limbo could've been cool, like shifting between two worlds in the original Soul Reaver. Instead it was just some half assed thing.

Also whoever said DmC should have a ton of platforming needs to get slapped. Hard.

edit: I must be bad at google because I can't find the GDC slideshow where Ninja Theory says old Dante are like the gay cowboys from Brokeback Mountain.
edit2: Could only find this link from Famitsu

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 28, 2013

Chaostime
Jan 3, 2008

Kurt Cobain's biggest phobia was bears in pools.
Too many folks in this thread take this game too seriously, and don't treat it like the hilariously self aware poo poo show it really is.

Even Dante knows DmC is a bad game.

Chaostime
Jan 3, 2008

Kurt Cobain's biggest phobia was bears in pools.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Limbo could've been cool, like shifting between two worlds in the original Soul Reaver. Instead it was just some half assed thing.

Also whoever said DmC should have a ton of platforming needs to get slapped. Hard.

edit: I must be bad at google because I can't find the GDC slideshow where Ninja Theory says old Dante are like the gay cowboys from Brokeback Mountain.

You mean this:

Edit:
This one is pretty great too

Chaostime fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 28, 2013

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Chaostime posted:

Too many folks in this thread take this game too seriously, and don't treat it like the hilariously self aware poo poo show it really is.

Even Dante knows DmC is a bad game.

Man I wanna believe this game is totally self aware and just clowning us all, but some of the pre-release self-fellation by Tameem makes me think otherwise.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
The Alex Garland story from Enslaved is enough to prove that Tameem really is that far up his own rear end.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The old Devil May Cry games knew they were junk this Devil May Cry game thinks it's art making relevant commentary on society's ills.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

SirDan3k posted:

The old Devil May Cry games knew they were junk this Devil May Cry game thinks it's art making relevant commentary on society's ills.

Exactly. These games have always been stupid, but the previous games had a lot of fun with it. This game just takes itself way too seriously. To be honest, whenever I play this game I just skip all of the cutscenes. It makes it so much more enjoyable.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Another big problem is that Metal Gear Rising was right around the corner. So when DMC was released and it ended up being a pretty but rather shallow game, tons of people just went "eh" and opted to wait for the game that was made by a studio with a proven consistency with beat em ups.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

IGNORE THIS POST FOR I AM A DOUBLE POSTING FOOL

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Chaostime posted:

If I'm looking at that correctly, the picture on the right is from Chronicle - a movie about three teenagers getting superpowers - at a moment where the implied autistic character starts to lose his mind from family issues and subsequently goes on a murderous rampage with his powers. With that in mind, I have absolutely no clue why they used that as the "new and cool" example for Dante.

I was never really a fan of the DMC series, but this game did disappoint me since I was hoping it'd do more with the grunge aesthetic that it seems to be going for. Although I'll admit I actually love the growl-y voice clips you get for a high combo rank.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

miscellaneous14 posted:

If I'm looking at that correctly, the picture on the right is from Chronicle - a movie about three teenagers getting superpowers - at a moment where the implied autistic character starts to lose his mind from family issues and subsequently goes on a murderous rampage with his powers. With that in mind, I have absolutely no clue why they used that as the "new and cool" example for Dante.

There's a surprising (or not) number of people who think that the movie was about taking control of your life and standing up for yourself. The same people who probably thought the final boss of Metal Gear Rising was a standup guy.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

There's a surprising (or not) number of people who think that the movie was about taking control of your life and standing up for yourself. The same people who probably thought the final boss of Metal Gear Rising was a standup guy.

Those two are like...litmus tests.
Honeypots.

Whatever.

But they seem to indicate some things about a person.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Chaostime posted:

Edit:

It really does summarise everything that went wrong with DmC outside of it playing badly.

I've never seen Chronicle but the synopses I've found online don't lead me to wanting to track a copy down, where as I'd watch Batman and Robin at anytime because it's just so dumb and bad that it's sort of enjoyable.

edit: VVV I've only seen Cloverfield of those two.
Yeah, I'm going to pass on Chronicle.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 28, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Aurain posted:

It really does summarise everything that went wrong with DmC outside of it playing badly.

I've never seen Chronicle but the synopses I've found online don't lead me to wanting to track a copy down, where as I'd watch Batman and Robin at anytime because it's just so dumb and bad that it's sort of enjoyable.

Have you seen Akira? Cloverfield?

Then you've seen Chronicle.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Well duh, the most logical thing to do when life gets you down is to murder your best friend in a fit of anger, and then go on a violent rampage because your mom died.

I'm not sure I wanna meet the person who watches that movie's goddamn depressing ending and thinks "yeah, I'm totally rooting for the kid who turned into a psychopath at the end". I guess that explains at least a few things about DmC.

Raramuffin
Nov 28, 2013

cupcake party!!
I'm one of the probably two people in this thread that likes this game, OP included. Yeah, when I first got it, I was all uppity about the new Dante design and everything, but I wanted to give it a shot for the gameplay. I actually actively tried not to hear anything about it before getting it so I wasn't tainted by fanboy hatred or anything of the sort going into it. And, you know, I really enjoyed it. I'll concede that the new design isn't as good and the main premise of the story is stupid. However, I did kinda warm up to the new Dante, and honestly, you know how the DMC games go. You watch the cutscenes the first time around, but in any subsequent playthrough you skip 'em ASAP to get right to the action. And, yeah, I enjoyed this game that much, that I went ahead and played through every difficulty.

The controls feel tight; they feel good. Plus, it's quite fun! I never had any problems with the gameplay. If I died, it was my fault, never the game's. I'll admit that towards the end there the combat became sort of systematic, because the tougher enemies all have these sort of "exploits" to make them easier and I found myself using these every time I saw them. However, the higher difficulties kinda mixed things up with their enemy groups, making you think about who's the best to take out first and what not.

One thing I kinda still gripe about though is the style meter. You can get SSS without even trying. To be completely honest with you, you could probably get SSS by doing the same move over and over. It seems more like a meter of how long you've gone without taking a hit. Once you've achieved a certain rank, it doesn't go back down to D until either the battle ends or you take a hit. If it's the latter, your rank goes down by 2. That's just... Silly, to say the least. It still feels good to do really cool combos, but it would feel better if it was harder to fill that combo meter all the way up to SSSensational.

I lost a bet on another forum, so I have to stream the entirety of the game in one sitting on Dante must die mode. You can bet I'll be exploiting speedrunning glitches to their fullest in that playthrough. Is there any chance we'll be seeing some of those ridiculous glitches in a bonus video or something? They're pretty hilarious and really deserve to be shown off.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Raramuffin posted:

One thing I kinda still gripe about though is the style meter. You can get SSS without even trying. To be completely honest with you, you could probably get SSS by doing the same move over and over. It seems more like a meter of how long you've gone without taking a hit. Once you've achieved a certain rank, it doesn't go back down to D until either the battle ends or you take a hit. If it's the latter, your rank goes down by 2. That's just... Silly, to say the least. It still feels good to do really cool combos, but it would feel better if it was harder to fill that combo meter all the way up to SSSensational.

The syle meter in the game is pretty much broken. They've tried to patch it, at least twice, but part of the problem is that it's more based on how much damage the player does, than combo variety. Spamming the same attack over and over does lead to diminshing returns, but the player only needs to do, say, one other different combo, and it resets itself.

Because of the game's damage system, this means that angel weapons are garbage at dealing damage, while demon weapons crush everything. Add in the attack-boosting demon dodge, and the unaggressive AI, and you've got one of the many issues people have with the game.

This game has the best glitches. The bugs are some of the best bits. :allears:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 28, 2013

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

Raramuffin posted:

I lost a bet on another forum, so I have to stream the entirety of the game in one sitting on Dante must die mode. You can bet I'll be exploiting speedrunning glitches to their fullest in that playthrough. Is there any chance we'll be seeing some of those ridiculous glitches in a bonus video or something? They're pretty hilarious and really deserve to be shown off.

This game is so great for speedrunning. :allears:
If the OP doesn't show that stuff off, I'd be more than willing to do so. The one thing that kind of irks me though is that they patched a lot of it out. So if you want to speedrun it, you have to delete the patch and play offline.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
From what I heard DmC can get irritating on the higher difficulties because enemies turn into such hit-sponges that you pretty much need exploits to finish in any reasonable length of time. It sucks that NT couldn't have just kept enemy HP the same and gone with the previous games' interpretation of harder modes. "Hey, the endgame enemies all decided to move into the tutorial room. And beyond. Have fun!"

Though even that had a lot of thought put into it, in retrospect. The jacked-up enemies were almost always in places where the stage's geography served them well, so you weren't, for example, getting smacked around by a 5,000-pound mid-boss in a room the size of a shoe closet.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Oxxidation posted:

From what I heard DmC can get irritating on the higher difficulties because enemies turn into such hit-sponges that you pretty much need exploits to finish in any reasonable length of time. It sucks that NT couldn't have just kept enemy HP the same and gone with the previous games' interpretation of harder modes. "Hey, the endgame enemies all decided to move into the tutorial room. And beyond. Have fun!"

Though even that had a lot of thought put into it, in retrospect. The jacked-up enemies were almost always in places where the stage's geography served them well, so you weren't, for example, getting smacked around by a 5,000-pound mid-boss in a room the size of a shoe closet.

Surprisingly, it's harder to make enemies fight smarter than it is to just jack up their numbers/defence/offence and make them spam their best attacks.

Looking at you, God of War.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I avoid certain sub-forums because so many people are aiming for that conclusion.

You don't need to make enemies smarter. Do it the God Hand way and lock half their moves on easier modes and make them faster.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I liked devil may cry 1s take on enemy design. Instead of making them smart just give them so many attacks that you'll never be sure what it's doing. Sadly they turned away from this in later games with most enemies only having 1 or 2 attacks.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Pesky Splinter posted:

I posted all the news I could find about it in the DMC thread, for nearly two years. Two years of bitterness. It was almost compulsion - I wanted to see how far down the rabbit hole it went. :unsmigghh:

I read that thread almost every day. Good times. I considered LP'ing this game as well, in the same style as Shadow Isaac's Dragon Age 2 LP. I'm also certain it would have ended in the same way.

I want to echo what someone else said earlier. I'm curious what the game is like to someone who enjoyed it, compared to how us DMC fans felt when the game was announced. I hope there's an extras that does the certain boss fight with the spanish mod enabled. It almost makes the game worth playing.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Overall I liked this game and was pretty down with the reboot, even if it was obnoxious in some places. It still felt suitably DMC and some of Dante's one liners got some good reactions from me. I particularly liked how demons in this were represented as extremely vile and vulgar beings. The gameplay was fun as hell and some of the limbo stages were truly great. This is a better follow-up than DMC 4 was, hands down.

The boss fights own, too.

MarioTeachesWiping fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Nov 29, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Iretep posted:

I liked devil may cry 1s take on enemy design. Instead of making them smart just give them so many attacks that you'll never be sure what it's doing. Sadly they turned away from this in later games with most enemies only having 1 or 2 attacks.

DMC4 brought back Frosts and Assaults from DMC1, and yes, fighting them is fun as hell when there's like three or more of them at once (but not too many, and especially not with Chimera Seeds :argh:).

My feelings on the main game aside, I hope you tackle the DLC, Bumfluff. I think it's a pretty drat good take on Vergil's combat style considering Ninja Theory's previous offerings, and much closer to the pacing of the old games. Even if it has its own problems, most of them were inherited from DmC proper.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I'm surprised at the number of people this game managed to pull an Other M on. Apparently when you dig through poo poo story or it's backlash boring mediocre gameplay seems like a shinny nugget of gold.

I'm happy to see the LP because all the amusement I got from the game was from it's story being so far up it's own rear end and I'm glad I can enjoy that again while somebody else has to slog through the gameplay.

Bumfluff
Jun 19, 2008

Bumfluff!
It's me, Mabel!
I'm looking at you through the av!
Right here!
This is my voice!
I'm talking to you from inside!

Update!
Episode 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjMC2Ut2P9U

I'll try and do a glitch video of most things that haven't been patched but it will be a bit later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I kinda like this Dante? I dunno. I just wish they did more with trying to pull away from the main series. I'll post why once we get to the end. Fun game though.

• Locked thread