Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
This game does look pretty fun.

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Bob Barbas looks like a man I can trust. :v:

President of Space
Mar 30, 2012
I forget, does this game ever explain what the angels are up to? There's Eva, then a small group of them in that flashback looking very sad that she was just killed, then... nothing? The demon king (sorry, CEO of Silver Sacks... subtle as ever) is just chilling in his giant tower in the middle of a city he's enslaved, with this game's piles of exposition suggesting he's in control of quite a lot more. Are they losing, or do they not care about humanity, or what?

The earlier DMC games were pretty clever about this, in that there weren't actual angels in those games. The Order goes about making fake ones in DMC4 by sticking enslaved demon souls in suits of armor, and there's a bit of flavor text on a few items, but nothing more explicit than that. Here we're explicitly told that they not only exist but at one point were actively fighting the demons, so their absence is pretty conspicuous.

JT Jag posted:

Nephilim are the children of angels and something else, so Dante being called one is accurate enough even if some of the specifics are not typical.

Yeah, the specifics of it don't bother me. What bothered me was that I played this shortly after playing through Diablo 3, then Darksiders 2, and I had el-Shaddai on my list next. I don't know what happened, but nephilim were just all over the place for a while there.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is that a Union Jack on Dante's coat sleeve? Is Dante suddenly English?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

DOOP posted:

NT's British, so it's possible. Wasn't looking that closely though.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

NT's British, so it's possible. Wasn't looking that closely though.

IIRC, didn't Hideki Kamiya envision Dante as British to begin with?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I did always get a chavvy vibe from him.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

President of Space posted:

I forget, does this game ever explain what the angels are up to? There's Eva, then a small group of them in that flashback looking very sad that she was just killed, then... nothing? The demon king (sorry, CEO of Silver Sacks... subtle as ever) is just chilling in his giant tower in the middle of a city he's enslaved, with this game's piles of exposition suggesting he's in control of quite a lot more. Are they losing, or do they not care about humanity, or what?

I'm just assuming for now Mundus murdered them all :black101:

The church line got me to laugh, so that's at least one point in the game's favor.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

DOOP posted:

IIRC, it's something to do with the Union Jack being a symbol of youthful rebellion? Like punk, I think. I'm sure that's the reason they gave anyway.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is also Judgement in that points thing. The angel weapons don't even make the numbers rise like devil weapons.

Lilith became a succubus after the whole banishment thing.

Moog
Sep 14, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

IIRC, it's something to do with the Union Jack being a symbol of youthful rebellion? Like punk, I think. I'm sure that's the reason they gave anyway.

I feel like I remember seeing a picture of Tameem wearing a jacket with the Union Jack on the sleeve.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

The Union Jack has always been a symbol of the punk movement.

He's an image of Devil May Cry 1 creator Hideki Kamiya as a young man, standing next to his mom. (Who did the calligraphy for Okami's credits)

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Aurain posted:

He's an image of Devil May Cry 1 creator Hideki Kamiya as a young man, standing next to his mom. (Who did the calligraphy for Okami's credits)

I only mention it since the LPers caught themselves in an early video, but when it's not on a ship it's the union flag, not jack.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
This is the best gamedev pic ever, and I will cherish it to the end of my days.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

George posted:

I only mention it since the LPers caught themselves in an early video, but when it's not on a ship it's the union flag, not jack.

Supposedly disputed by historians as recently as October 2013.
It's not really important though, I guess.

What is important is how cool Hideki Kamiya is. :allears:

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:

Aurain posted:

drat, I wish we had a game where we played as him. That man's got style.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Did you guys just get suckered into playing the entire franchise? Or at least working backwards until you succumb to tedium?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

He sure does.

I'll leave it at that though, it's unfair to hold Tameem against such lofty heights.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Chaostime posted:

For the record I am not a religious scholar.

That story does seem like it comes from the Jewish mysticism. The stories tend to have the true name of GOD as a hook somewhere.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

Oh, but there is :allears:

In regards to classic Dante's inspiration, his character was supposedly based on the eponymous character from the manga/anime, "Cobra". As well as feeling "cool and stylish to play as".

The new one was designed around the theme of youthful rebellion.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Aurain posted:

Supposedly disputed by historians as recently as October 2013.
It's not really important though, I guess.

What is important is how cool Hideki Kamiya is. :allears:

Oh cool. I shouldn't have even brought this up, but it's one thing fewer to be irresponsibly pedantic about.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Is this Kamiya's signature pose? "BOO TO YOU SIR nah dawg just kidding you're totes alright!"? What a guy.

vvv: :haw:

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 7, 2013

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"You gotta be you. Only one in the world."

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

toasterwarrior posted:

Is this Kamiya's signature pose? "BOO TO YOU SIR nah dawg just kidding you're totes alright!"? What a guy.

It's something a character does in his latest game, the Wonderful 101:

It's hard to describe, but imagine Viewtiful Joe, Pikmin and DMC/Bayonetta all rolled into one.

Incidentally, Stinger, High-time, and the ability to keep enemies in the air with bullets is also in, unchanged from DMC1, among the myriad other references that P+ games makes to games they worked on.

[e]:

Singh Long posted:

IIRC, didn't Hideki Kamiya envision Dante as British to begin with?

Found this from the DMC design document thing:

quote:

This is a picture from the time of the first stages of Dante's design. I told Tsuchibayashi that I wanted him to draw an "Englishman" for me. If I had just asked for something modern-looking, I thought the design might wander aimlessly, and so I wanted a character with a bit of an atmosphere of traditional European style. Even though it didn't give quite the punk feeling I wanted. This was the time when he was still set up as a treasure hunter, but his looks, build, and other basic points don't change much compared with the present Dante.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 7, 2013

Chaostime
Jan 3, 2008

Kurt Cobain's biggest phobia was bears in pools.
My life may have been a lie!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's something a character does in his latest game, the Wonderful 101:

It's hard to describe, but imagine Viewtiful Joe, Pikmin and DMC/Bayonetta all rolled into one.

If you're like me, and have no imagination, you can watch Chip Cheezum show off the demo instead!
:eng101:

On topic: I went and watched a little of Accounting Nightmare's DMC3 and 4 let's plays and yikes. They're so much more lighthearted compared to this it's not even funny. No wonder people were so disappointed.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

If you're like me, and have no imagination, you can watch Chip Cheezum show off the demo instead!
:eng101:

On topic: I went and watched a little of Accounting Nightmare's DMC3 and 4 let's plays and yikes. They're so much more lighthearted compared to this it's not even funny. No wonder people were so disappointed.
To be fair, the original Devil May Cry wasn't nearly as lighthearted as those two either. Still a better game than this, at least from what I've seen so far.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nihilarian posted:

To be fair, the original Devil May Cry wasn't nearly as lighthearted as those two either. Still a better game than this, at least from what I've seen so far.

But dante wasnt close to being as serious as the environment.
The potential RE4 survival horror roots showed alot in the first dmc.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I personally didn't like the original Devil May Cry that much. I loved the gameplay and especially the boss fights, but the mission design was all over the place, and it had those weird first person segments underwater and perhaps most of all I didn't think Dante quite worked as a character yet. He rubbed me the wrong way just a bit and the attempts at dramatic tension just didn't work like they should've. One of the reasons I kind of liked DMC2 when I first played it is Dante was toned down so significantly, but still had some charm, but in the end he's just more boring (did like some of the alternate costumes though). DMC 3 was where I think they figured him out definitively, and DMC 4 was a solid continuation of that guy without any sort of baggage from DMC 1. They made five games, but only two with the Dante I actually like. I would have liked a third.

Chaostime
Jan 3, 2008

Devil May Cry is the only game of the series that I've played, and it really does show that it was supposed to be a ResEvil game, the fixed camera angles alone give that away. That's not to say it's a bad game (it's really not) but there are some REALLY hammy moments (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4qLEkFJLnM)

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Gotta love that early 2000's quality voice acting. :mmmhmm:
English VAs getting direction from a non-English speaking director.

It would have probably felt even more like a RE game, if they had gone with their original plan of not splitting the game up into missions. I think the RE feel does help to give it the best atmosphere of the series too.

If nothing, the old CA screams RE:

[e]: It's way more subdued and serious than the later installements. CRUHZAY Dante doesn't really appear til 3.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 9, 2013

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Chaostime posted:

Devil May Cry is the only game of the series that I've played, and it really does show that it was supposed to be a ResEvil game, the fixed camera angles alone give that away. That's not to say it's a bad game (it's really not) but there are some REALLY hammy moments (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4qLEkFJLnM)
Yeah, this thread made me go and watch AccountingNightmare's DMC1 LP, and it's much hammier and serious than I remember.

I wasn't a fan of RE when I first played it, so I had no idea that they were similar.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
DMC1 Dante is basically RE4 Leon with more swords and less grappling hooks.

Chaostime
Jan 3, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

DMC1 Dante is basically RE4 Leon with more swords and less grappling hooks.

Anything with less grappling hooks is bad :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADrmDqKrAfQ

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DmC is going free on PS+ in Europe on 24th of December.

Just like getting socks for Christmas!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I hear Monster Hunter is getting a Dante costume. But it's Old Dante, which is kinda unexpected for me.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

I hear Monster Hunter is getting a Dante costume. But it's Old Dante, which is kinda unexpected for me.

Yeah, Pesky Splinter posted about it. Rebellion looks really messed up when you tune it to MH greatsword proportions, I find.

VVV: Oops, it was in the main DMC thread in Games. Pink E/N icon.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 13, 2013

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, Pesky Splinter posted about it. Rebellion looks really messed up when you tune it to MH greatsword proportions, I find.
Must have missed Pesky Splinter's post.

Chaostime
Jan 3, 2008

I hope you guys like updates!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumfluff
Jun 19, 2008

Bumfluff!
It's me, Mabel!
I'm looking at you through the av!
Right here!
This is my voice!
I'm talking to you from inside!

Update!
Episode 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q708iO1PHXw

Cause here it is! One more before the new year in a couple of days also.

• Locked thread