Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Original Flag Do Not Steal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Can someone tell me, I thought it was the case that there are no 'family' coat of arms, all coats of arms were awarded to specific individuals, and are not passed down to their sons or other descendants. Hence why all the 'Discover your noble coat of arms $9.99' websites are full of poo poo.

According to Wikipedia, only in Scotland and England, and even then it could be passed down from father to son.

quote:

In the heraldic traditions of England and Scotland an individual, rather than a family, had a coat of arms. In those traditions coats of arms are legal property transmitted from father to son; wives and daughters could also bear arms modified to indicate their relation to the current holder of the arms. Undifferenced arms are used only by one person at any given time. Other descendants of the original bearer could bear the ancestral arms only with some difference: usually a color change or the addition of a distinguishing charge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms#Traditions_and_usage

For content, the Shah of Iran's coat of arms was pretty cool:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I get to walk past this embassy every day. Such a cool flag.

The flag of the 1916 Arab Revolt, which inspired basically every modern Arab flag.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
No flagchat thread is complete without the (unofficial) flag of Newfoundland:

Newfoundland, and that chunk of Labrador on the coast, weren't part of Canada, but were a separate colony, and became a British dominion in 1907. Then a series of whoopsies in the 1930s led to a revocation of its right to self-governance, culminating in a referendum leading to confederation with Canada in 1949.

Flag prior to confederation:

Okay, pretty standard Brit imperial flag. But when they joined Canada they decided to just go with the UK's Union Jack as their provincial flag, which was apparently an issue of ongoing annoyance and confusion. This was resolved in 1980 when they got this monstrosity, apparently a "deconstructed" Union Jack:

I grant conceptually it's kind of cool and geometric, but looks terribly unwieldy on a flag.

The "pink white and green" has a long story and a lot of pseudohistorical myth behind it, but in the current day mostly boils down to a "Newfoundland rules, gently caress Canada" sentiment.

Labrador, the isolated and underpopulated mainland chunk (as in 30,000 people in an area the size of Italy or Arizona), worked up its own awesome flag in 1973:

It's an exciting world of alternative flags of no actual legal validity but popular for t-shirts, bumper-stickers, and graffiti.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Albania has what is inarguably the coolest flag of any modern nation state

Then there's this:

"I don't care where it goes as long there's an extra stripe" - Central African Republic

AKA Pseudonym has a new favorite as of 02:54 on Dec 1, 2013

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Montenegro's flag is pretty baller, and I like how they added a gold border that apparently pissed off people.

OMG BYZANTIUM
Dec 30, 2008

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

For content, the Shah of Iran's coat of arms was pretty cool:

I can't think of a better way to pictorially depict the phrase "My family is stealing poo poo-tons of money!" Look at that fuckin' crown!

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Well, okay op, if you insist.

I like this one because it exudes an air of elegance and also because ducks are very cool animals.

This one is a reference to the hit television program Chapelle's Show, which was very hilarious and I think everyone here should watch it.

Who doesn't love dogs, they're awesome you know.

I love to post, so a flag about posting is perfect for me!

Does anyone love YOSPOS? I sure do!

Finally, I don't know who this kid is, but drat is he happy. Couldn't we all be so happy...

lumpy goop hopper
Feb 3, 2004

i am a drawing god.

Soviet Homorabia?

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

Coat of Arms with my (proto-)name on it. (Hint: It's a modern car manufacturer)

2 lions with a crown and 3 knights heads. Sweet.

Scorchdog
Mar 4, 2013
Oh are we doing family crests now?

The clan crest of the Mcmahon family of Limerick county in Thomond, Ireland.
Interesting because around the time there was a second family of McMahons who cropped up in Oriel.
In my opinion they got the more interesting crest by far:

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

This one and Mozambique's gun flag really say "flag" to me, if you know what I mean.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The IJN flag was pretty cool

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

I.C. posted:

This one and Mozambique's gun flag really say "flag" to me, if you know what I mean.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I like Maryland's flag and everybody loves satan, so I was happy to see these patches that are somehow related to the Maryland Death Fest:

I got two.

E- from here http://www.etsy.com/listing/151563338/inverted-maryland-flag-cross-patch-an#zoom

Snowy has a new favorite as of 03:42 on Dec 2, 2013

DividesByZero
Jan 24, 2006
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler

Mister Bates posted:

Enjoy the diversity and creativity of leftist revolutionary movements!

Way to shine, guys!

The Revolutionary Insurrectionary Army of Ukraine wants a word.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Sweden has some pretty dope coat of arms for it's various provinces and municipalities. Some are badass, others just beautiful with nature motifs.

Here are two that i like from the top of my head:

Lappland province coat of arms:

A wild man with a golden club. The most WTF of all the Swedish flags.

Huddinge municipality coat of arms:

A beacon standing on top of a mountain. There's a cliff in Huddinge overlooking lake Mälaren where during the Viking ages stood a beacon to warn against incoming raiding ships or invaders.

Internet Cliche
Oct 18, 2004
Ninja Robot Pirate Zombie

The Bronx. "Yield not to evil"

Queens. Naming and dating it was a little much though.

The other borough flags are meh.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
When Indonesia declared independence from the Netherlands, they took the Dutch colonial flag that was flying on the roof of the Hotel where the Dutch had just fled from

and tore off the blue strip to end up with...

The flag of Poland upside-down Indonesia!

The flag of British Columbia is a garish, horrible mess:

Scotland's coat of arms has the motto "Nemo me impune lacessit", which translates to "No-one threatens us with impunity", or more loosely, "Come and have a go if yeh think yeh're fookin' hard enough".

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Nepal-Prussia-Maryland-Cyprus-LGBT-Communist-Anarchist

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
All of these bear coats of arms, and nobody posted the coolest one?

Nuclear bear, bitches!

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

It's my favorite cause it's the worst thing I've ever seen. It's also my own country's shield or whatever it's called.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Assassin's Creed IV has reminded me of all the variations on the Jolly Roger:

Edward Teach (AKA Blackbeard)

Stede Bonnet

Bartholomew Roberts

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Whorelord posted:

Montenegro's flag is pretty baller, and I like how they added a gold border that apparently pissed off people.

The gold fringe means it is the maritime flag and that sovereign citizens of Montenegro need not submit to its laws!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Always loved my city's flag

Which was the logo of the first Steelers jersey's (not those lovely bumblebee jerseys)

Hate my town's flag

What does the Genie's lamp from Aladdin have anything to do with Monroeville, a bunch of zombies in a Mall would be more representative of the town since that is the only thing this town is known for other than a good high school.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Falukorv posted:

Lappland province coat of arms:

A wild man with a golden club. The most WTF of all the Swedish flags.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f8/Lappeenranta.vaakuna.svg

Lappeenranta FTW

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I love the State Seal/flag of Virginia, though.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Fandyien posted:

I love the State Seal/flag of Virginia, though.

Wait, is the Tyrant trying to sneak a peek there?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

DarkCrawler posted:

Wait, is the Tyrant trying to sneak a peek there?

Fun fact: our Attorney General and Gubernatorial candidate this last election had the state seal's titty covered in his office and in lots of AG official functions because of that.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Some of the coats of arms for municipalities in Andalusia are... well

Mediaeval Autobot (Alhama de Granada)

Lady in castle setting an army of bees on a very racist depiction of some Moors (Alozaina)

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Crocuta posted:

Post your favorite or unfavorite flag, coat of arms or other symbols. From time to time there is a discussion about flags in the DnD picture thread so I thought there might be interest for a thread.

Got to start somewhere so I guess I'll use the flag of my own state, Sweden, as a starter.

Nothing say "modern, secular society" like a big honking crucifix on your flag. The "Scandinavian cross" design was borrowed from the Danes who had a head start in the nation-state game back in the Middle Ages. Supposedly the impetus was that the newly converted Scandinavians wanted to show foreigners that they were Christians and were not about to raid them like when they were Pagan Vikings.

Scania, motherfucker.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Tsaedje posted:

Some of the coats of arms for municipalities in Andalusia are... well

Lady in castle setting an army of bees on a very racist depiction of some Moors (Alozaina)

Can't get worse than Evora's coat of arms (Evora is a city in southern Portugal):

Decapited Moorish couple.

The text translates to "Very noble and forever faithful city of Evora". Although with an archaic form of "Very" (Mui), as opposed to more modern "muito".

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 21:49 on Dec 3, 2013

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Japanese local governments have the best flags.

Here is the flag for Tottori Prefecture. Oh cool, it looks kinda like a modern version of a samurai crest. (Like the local feudal lords had back then) Neat, it looks nice and also feels kinda historical.

It also looks like a cool bird, just like how the first written character of the word Tottori Prefecture (鳥取県) means bird. OH, the bird on the flag also looks kinda like と, which is how you write 'to' in Japanese hiragana script. poo poo.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Not sure why I can't find a good color version online, but this is our family's crest.

I believe the Latin translates as something like "To be able, to be willing, to be noble" which either sounds randy as all hell or like the battle cry of the nice guy.

The color version on the Wingfield Family Society website looks like absolute poo poo when hosted on imgur.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 23:53 on Dec 3, 2013

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Flag of the Pawnee tribe. That wolf is loving angry at America!

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Ljubljana, Slovenia

I like that they fly a flag with the image of castle tower on it above a castle tower. On the flag, there's a dragon sitting on top of the tower, but it would be interesting if it were another flag.

Ensign Expendable posted:

All of these bear coats of arms, and nobody posted the coolest one?

Nuclear bear, bitches!

Where is this from?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Flaming hart oh Stannis you funny man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I grew up in this town.

Yes I am proud thank you.