Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I wonder what's with the black and white and ermine motif here. These elements are usually associated with Brittany, and it's on damned near every flag here.

The modern Breton flag, designed to look similar to the US and Greek flags which were considered symbols of democracy in the 1920s when it was designed.

The flag of the province of Brittany after annexation by the French in 1532

Coat of arms of the Dukes of Brittany after the early 1300s

I'm not sure when they decided to create flags for the departments (equivalent to US counties) but they're all pretty terrible except one.

Loire Atlantique has the Loire river running through it.

Morbihan is bordered on the south by the Atlantic ocean

Ctes d'Armor has the Channel to its north.

Ille et Vilaine has the Ille and Vilaine rivers running through it

Finisterre has the flags of Kerne and Leon either holding hands or doing a double bro-fist. During the Revolution the state re-organized everything into departments, Kerne and Leon were two ancient Breton counties that were consolidated into one French department.

Flag of Kerne

Flag of Leon

I've always thought the flag of the city of Vannes was cute, a little ermine wearing a cape with ermines on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Here's the coat of arms for my country :australia:

The shield in the center contains the badge of each Australian state (sorry territories):
New South Wales - the cross of Saint George with lion and stars.
Victoria - the crown and Southern Cross
Queensland - blue Maltese cross and crown
South Australia - the "piping strike" (splayed black bird)
Western Australia - black swan
Tasmania - red lion

Above the shield is the seven-pointed Commonwealth star. The shield is supported by a Kangaroo and an Emu. :eng101: Every Australian schoolchild will tell you it's because they can't walk backwards! They actually can, though, they just don't do it very often :eng99: Wikipedia tells me it's probably because they scale the best of our native animals. Considering their competition is a koala, platypus or Tasmanian devil (among others), I've got to admit it makes sense. Surrounding the animals is golden wattle, our national flower for some reason? And down the bottom is a big ol' banner with the name of the country on it, in case you forget :thumbsup: welcome to Australia!

Purple Prophecy
Mar 7, 2013
I can't help but laugh whenever I see this one

However, then I learned about the crest of my own province. I don't think I should be saying anything about their lions. At least they have actual lions. We've got one with a fish tail about to club someone to death with a fleur de lis.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Remembered another favorite.

The city of Surabaya is Indonesia's second largest, but it's not famous for much outside Indonesia (where it's remembered as the City of Heroes, where Indonesian independence began). The traditional myth is that the city was founded on marshland where a giant shark (sura) fought a giant crocodile (baya).

The symbol of the city is, therefore, a shark fighting a crocodile (behind the Hero Monument):

This also results in some pretty impressive statuary:

Welcome to the city of :black101:Sharkrocodile:black101:

One Swell Foop has a new favorite as of 21:37 on Dec 17, 2013

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

This is the flag I see the most in my city

We are not very patriotic.

That's the wife of the most prominent pro-pot guy in Canada, by the way. Or at least he was until he was extradited to an American prison.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I was studying here:

but the archives are closed for Christmas, so I went here:

to get a tattoo.

Tomorrow I'm going here:

Either Thuringia or Hesse is very unoriginal. Their flags look almost identical too.

Hesse:

Thuringia:

The state of Thuringia was formed from seven counties in 1920, so its original flag was gules, seven mullets of six points argent.

But the Nazis changed it to the arms of the Ludowingers, former landgraves of Thuringia whose line died out in 1247.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

The Spanish exclave of Ceuta has a pretty cool flag.

In general I just really like black and white flags. The flag of Brittany is my favorite, along with Estonia. I guess I just find black and white very striking.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Insertnamehere31 posted:

The Spanish exclave of Ceuta has a pretty cool flag.

In general I just really like black and white flags. The flag of Brittany is my favorite, along with Estonia. I guess I just find black and white very striking.

Looks like the Portuguese coat of arms. How did come to be?

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

SirPhoebos posted:

Gentlemen, BEHOLD!

The Holy Roman Empire

This is amazing. Does anyone have a large, High-Res version of this?

Hydrogenated
Apr 9, 2010

Falukorv posted:

Looks like the Portuguese coat of arms. How did come to be?

The Portuguese conquered the city during the Reconquista, so I think that's why.

origami manatee
Oct 21, 2010

I made food

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

This is amazing. Does anyone have a large, High-Res version of this?

It's vector graphic at wikipedia so it can be enhanced, here's 2000px: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Negker.svg.png

One Swell Foop posted:

The city of Surabaya is Indonesia's second largest, but it's not famous for much outside Indonesia (where it's remembered as the City of Heroes, where Indonesian independence began). The traditional myth is that the city was founded on marshland where a giant shark (sura) fought a giant crocodile (baya).
so who won

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

A future Cracked.com writer.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

DarkCrawler posted:

Those are really cool. Some of them don't seem to have that much thought behind them, but some are pretty recognizable in interesting ways...

Detroit
I couldn't really see where they got that from, and looking it up on their website: it's a little clever but very much a stretch.

This is Detroit's official city flag. It's pretty similar to a lot of city flags in the US: a combination of various colonizing powers (France & England) with the stars & stripes and the city's seal.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Soviet Commubot posted:

The flag of the province of Brittany after annexation by the French in 1532

Relevant to the previous discussion of unweildy heraldic blazons, Brittany is at the other end of the spectrum, its blazon being

quote:

Ermine

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Six pages and no Mexico? Enough with this bourgeois European heraldic crap.

Look at that beauty. You won't find that shade of green anywhere. Look at the colors on that cactus. Check out the rad Aztec symbol below the cactus. And if you look closely you'll notice the flag holding the branches together. Yeah, it's a loving flag within a flag. The central symbol was redesigned in 1968 and is still in use today.

The original flag of the First Mexican Empire (sorry Guatemala) looked like this:

But I think this is my favorite. Designed in 1934:

I don't know why the eagle is looking left. Perhaps because the leftist President Lazaro Cardenas was in power.

And this is the flag of my city:

It's pretty rad because it was the flag of the Republic of the Rio Grande. A short lived rebel nation in Northern Mexico/Southern Tejas.

We show off that we're the only place in Texas with seven flags instead of six.

Remember that Texas was first explored by the French, then taken by the Spanish, then Mexico, then the Republic of Texas, then the US, then the Confederacy.

Frijolero has a new favorite as of 06:51 on Dec 19, 2013

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Frijolero posted:

We show off that we're the only place in Texas with seven flags instead of six.

Remember that Texas was first explored by the French, then taken by the Spanish, then Mexico, then the Republic of Texas, then the US, then the Confederacy.

Now you're just hurting Pensacola, FL.

City of Five Flags! :haw:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

They're still fighting.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

origami manatee posted:

It's vector graphic at wikipedia so it can be enhanced, here's 2000px: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Negker.svg.png

so who won

As far as I know, it's a folk tale and it varies, but I think the story goes that they fought many times then had a truce where the shark took the ocean and the crocodile took the land, but the shark started sneaking into the river so they had one last fight in the river and the crocodile won that one.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

With heraldry, isn't there something with diagonals that changes the meaning? I thought I read somewhere that if it went from upper right to lower left it was a bastardized familial line.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Morocco's flag has always looked weirdly :black101: for a Muslim country.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Internet Cliche posted:

The Bronx. "Yield not to evil"

Could someone photoshop this so the latin instead reads "Leave the Bronx!"? It would make me so happy :allears:

Crocuta
Nov 6, 2004
wakkawa

Whorelord posted:

Morocco's flag has always looked weirdly :black101: for a Muslim country.

The pentagram used to be a sort of good luck symbol going back to the Ancient Greek Pythagoreans who believed that geometric shapes were sacred. In ye olden days the "evil" pentagram was drawn upside down, with two points up, but people don't know that nowadays.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Specifically, in the flag of Morocco, it's meant to be the seal of King Solomon. According to some myths, Solomon had a magical signet ring that he used to bind and imprison demons and evil djinn - maybe that's where the demonic association came from?

The seal of Solomon also appears on the Ethiopian flag - though, oddly, only the modern republic flag, never when the country was ruled by kings who claimed decent from Solomon.

The seal's also sometimes depicted as a six-pointed star, like the Star of David. Not sure if there's a connection; if there is, it means there's a Muslim, Christian and Jewish country each with the seal on their flag!

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

Angry Salami posted:

Specifically, in the flag of Morocco, it's meant to be the seal of King Solomon. According to some myths, Solomon had a magical signet ring that he used to bind and imprison demons and evil djinn - maybe that's where the demonic association came from?

The seal of Solomon also appears on the Ethiopian flag - though, oddly, only the modern republic flag, never when the country was ruled by kings who claimed decent from Solomon.

The seal's also sometimes depicted as a six-pointed star, like the Star of David. Not sure if there's a connection; if there is, it means there's a Muslim, Christian and Jewish country each with the seal on their flag!

The wiki for the Star of David indicates a connection.

Wikipedia posted:

The hexagram has been in use as a symbol of Judaism since the 17th century, with precedents in the 14th to 16th centuries in Central Europe, where the Shield of David was partly used in conjunction with the Seal of Solomon (the hexagram) on Jewish flags.

That's really neat. I never knew those two symbols had anything in common besides being stars.

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

Amateurs,

:black101: CoA and flag of lovely Dutch municipality Haaksbergen.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm going to keep the ball rolling with Latin America.

Nobody has posted Brazil. I would argue that they have the most unique national flag.

It's also pretty. The globe represents the night sky over Brazil. The motto is "Order and Progress," a nod to the prevailing liberal attitudes in Brazil.

This is the Wiphala (emblem) of the Andes people. It is also technically Bolivia's national flag. Though the original one is most used.

Every other South American flag is butt ugly.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Angry Salami posted:

The royal ethiopian flag had the Lion of Judah on it.

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013

St. Louis, my hometown, has a pretty rad flag.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Frijolero posted:

Every other South American flag is butt ugly.

:colbert:

Okay, I will agree that the sun is kinda poo poo. :v:

Most of us Argentinians grew with the completely incorrect idea that the colours of our flag are due to the sky and the clouds.

The truth is kinda sad, to be honest. We're using the colours from the Bourbon dynasty, rulers of Spain.

Just ask Carlos V.

King Alfonso XII

Or Admiral Gravina.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

:colbert:

Uruguay has three official flags, the one above is called Artigas' flag. It was created by the guy we didn't listen to and sent to die alone in Paraguay.

The second is the Flag of the 33 Orientals

And the third is just America's flag during day

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Azran posted:

Most of us Argentinians grew with the completely incorrect idea that the colours of our flag are due to the sky and the clouds.

The truth is kinda sad, to be honest. We're using the colours from the Bourbon dynasty, rulers of Spain.

In a similar vein, in the case of the Brazil flag, we were always told that the yellow is supposed to represent the gold in the territory, and the green is supposed to represent the forests and poo poo.

It actually represents the dynasty of Pedro I, the first Emperor of Brazil. :geno:

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Which might also explain why the Museu do Ipiranga (built to commemorate Pedro's declaration of independence) was painted yellow.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
The village of Whitesboro, NY:

This is the newer logo. Originally the white dude's hands were straight-up on the native guy's neck, but they moved them down a little after complaints were filed with the Village Board in 1977.
Either way, it's still the village founder choking out an Oneida chief during what the records assure us was a friendly wrestling match. Per the village history website:

"When the Indian finally rose, he shrugged his shoulders and was said to have muttered "UGH", you good fellow too much". Hugh White became a hero in the eyes of the Oneida Indians."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Frijolero posted:

Look at that beauty. You won't find that shade of green anywhere. Look at the colors on that cactus. Check out the rad Aztec symbol below the cactus. And if you look closely you'll notice the flag holding the branches together. Yeah, it's a loving flag within a flag. The central symbol was redesigned in 1968 and is still in use today.

This hi-res image made me realize how ignorant I was to how cool Mexico's flag is, from afar it looks like any old crest with a bird of prey on it but I never noticed the glyph and the cactus on it.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

twoday posted:

Flag of South Africa (1928-1994):

It's interesting that the Union Flag is hoisted on the right. I guess it was done for symmetry, but that must be fairly unique amongst flags which incorporate it.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

origami manatee posted:

so who won

Thanks!

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

People thought that the old flags for Sardinia and Corsica were racist:

so they changed them:

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

I don't really understand how they would be racist in a Sardinian/Corsican context, unless there's a sizable black minority present on those islands, or a shameful imperial past I'm unaware of?

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

the jizz taxi posted:

I don't really understand how they would be racist in a Sardinian/Corsican context, unless there's a sizable black minority present on those islands, or a shameful imperial past I'm unaware of?

Sorry. You're right. Looking at it from a local perspective, there is nothing wrong with blackamoor art or Zwarte Piet or lawn jockeys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

alcyon posted:

Amateurs,

:black101: CoA and flag of lovely Dutch municipality Haaksbergen.
Extremely Wilders joke: Your municipality took the national flag, removed all the White and replaced it with something from an Islamic country:v:

Ours(Kerkrade) is even dumber however, our flag:

I can't find any data on how old this is, we either ripped off Monaco's or the other way around, either way it makes us look really stupid now that Indonesia exists.

our CoA is a guy with a terribly drawn face, also pickaxes(in black) because we used to mine coal, which is at least slightly relevant to what we historically did:

• Locked thread