Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
When Indonesia declared independence from the Netherlands, they took the Dutch colonial flag that was flying on the roof of the Hotel where the Dutch had just fled from

and tore off the blue strip to end up with...

The flag of Poland upside-down Indonesia!

The flag of British Columbia is a garish, horrible mess:

Scotland's coat of arms has the motto "Nemo me impune lacessit", which translates to "No-one threatens us with impunity", or more loosely, "Come and have a go if yeh think yeh're fookin' hard enough".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I think they're meteors. That Quaternion Eagle is from around 1510, I believe; the first 'officially' observed meteor was in Ensisheim in 1492, and was delivered to King Maximilian, then son of the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick III, who himself became Holy Roman Emperor in 1508. So, it makes sense that a flaming rock from heaven would be associated with that Emperor.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

Remembered another favorite.

The city of Surabaya is Indonesia's second largest, but it's not famous for much outside Indonesia (where it's remembered as the City of Heroes, where Indonesian independence began). The traditional myth is that the city was founded on marshland where a giant shark (sura) fought a giant crocodile (baya).

The symbol of the city is, therefore, a shark fighting a crocodile (behind the Hero Monument):

This also results in some pretty impressive statuary:

Welcome to the city of :black101:Sharkrocodile:black101:

One Swell Foop has a new favorite as of 21:37 on Dec 17, 2013

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

origami manatee posted:

It's vector graphic at wikipedia so it can be enhanced, here's 2000px: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Negker.svg.png

so who won

As far as I know, it's a folk tale and it varies, but I think the story goes that they fought many times then had a truce where the shark took the ocean and the crocodile took the land, but the shark started sneaking into the river so they had one last fight in the river and the crocodile won that one.

• Locked thread