Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
My ancestors crest whose name i still carry:

Two snakes linked by what is supposed to be a golden and red band.

From the picture i can barely tell they're snakes. I've seen other drawings of the same crest where the snakes look more like eagles, but they're supposed to be snakes/reptiles. Like in this one:

Don't get why they botched the serpents so badly, Iberia has plenty of snakes and lizards.

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 04:10 on Nov 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Sweden has some pretty dope coat of arms for it's various provinces and municipalities. Some are badass, others just beautiful with nature motifs.

Here are two that i like from the top of my head:

Lappland province coat of arms:

A wild man with a golden club. The most WTF of all the Swedish flags.

Huddinge municipality coat of arms:

A beacon standing on top of a mountain. There's a cliff in Huddinge overlooking lake Mälaren where during the Viking ages stood a beacon to warn against incoming raiding ships or invaders.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Tsaedje posted:

Some of the coats of arms for municipalities in Andalusia are... well

Lady in castle setting an army of bees on a very racist depiction of some Moors (Alozaina)

Can't get worse than Evora's coat of arms (Evora is a city in southern Portugal):

Decapited Moorish couple.

The text translates to "Very noble and forever faithful city of Evora". Although with an archaic form of "Very" (Mui), as opposed to more modern "muito".

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 21:49 on Dec 3, 2013

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Some of my native Swedens municipality and province flags are pretty rad:

A saint slaying a dragon, municipality of Mora.

Söderhamn's flag, a pinnace with two muskets. Looks kind of pirate-y.

Alvesta flag, bees and a winged train wheel. The winged wheel symbolizes the towns former importance as a railway junction, and it resembles the logo of Sweden's state rail company. The bees symbolize the diligence of industry, as it was an industrial town. Nothing to do with honey.

Speaking of which, Nykvarn also has an insect in its flag, but literally represents a species of mayfly native to a lake in the municipality.

Ängelholm. Badass salmon. There are several Swedish municipal flags that feature salmon, but the context these are in is hilarious.

Härnösand, a beaver eating a pike. Do beavers eat fish at all? The origin of the flag dates back to 1586, when the burgess of the town, upon been granted town priviligies, wrote to the King asking what should be the offical seal of the town. His reply: "The skole hafue en suart bäffuer medh en giedda i munnen". Which is old swedish for "It should have a black beaver with a pike in it's mouth". No justification was given, but it makes some sense, as beavers were very common at the time and fish was an important resource for the region.

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Dec 10, 2013

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Computer viking posted:

Then again, a vague and punny resemblance is usually enough for heraldry (ref. the bows and lions of the Bowes-Lyon family).

Or Leon (in Spain) being named after the latin legio (legion) because it was founded by Roman legionaires.

It's coat of arms would be so much cooler if it featured a legionnaire.

Two of my favorite coat of arms were the offical CoA of two now extinct Swedish municipalties. They were merged in the 1970's with other smaller municipalities, and sadly adopted the larger municpis coat of arms.

Högsjö, which had one of my favorite animals on it, and the stance and expression of the bird says it all.

Bjärtå, because ants.

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 15:41 on Dec 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Insertnamehere31 posted:

The Spanish exclave of Ceuta has a pretty cool flag.

In general I just really like black and white flags. The flag of Brittany is my favorite, along with Estonia. I guess I just find black and white very striking.

Looks like the Portuguese coat of arms. How did come to be?

• Locked thread