Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fernhill
Oct 28, 2013

Maps are not only a useful way to convey information, they can also be works of art or comedy. Let's see your favorites!

Here's one of my favorite funny maps, posted in the other thread, the Tory Atlas of the World, printed in a Spitting Image book.

A map of Baarle-Hertog, a Belgian enclave in The Netherlands that also has Dutch enclaves inside of it:

From Strange Maps, a great place for interesting maps, a map of the distribution of red-headed people:

From the same place, a map of what alcoholic beverages people drink. Red is wine, beige is beer, and blue is vodka.

The famous map of the London Underground by Harry Beck published in 1933. It was famous for being the first to use a linear schematic of the lines, and the London Underground has used this sort of map ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Gastrophobia is a webcomic set in "Ancient Greece".

It might not be historically accurate.

7c Nickel has a new favorite as of 21:23 on Nov 28, 2013

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

What's up with Cameron?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Mikl posted:

What's up with Cameron?

gently caress-all to do, apparently.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Justin Godscock posted:

gently caress-all to do, apparently.
I looked up the stats for the county, looks like it's rural as gently caress, old, and extremely loving white. So what you said, basically.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Maps own. I bought this a year or something ago but haven't managed to get around to getting it framed yet: http://www.kalimedia.com/Atlas_of_True_Names_World.html

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Woebin posted:

Maps own. I bought this a year or something ago but haven't managed to get around to getting it framed yet: http://www.kalimedia.com/Atlas_of_True_Names_World.html

I really love that map, but it bothers me that they used "Lake Superior" rather than "Upper Lake," which is what the original French name translates as.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

FYI: If you like this thread you should also check out the "Politically Motivated Maps" thread in D&D

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531615

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I still love The Phantom Tollbooth :3:

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Brace yourselves, friends. Winter A massive image dump is coming.

Westeros, from A Song of Ice and Fire!

Middle-earth, of Tolkien fame!

Arrakis, the setting of Dune!

Athkatla, capital of Amn in the Forgotten Realms and major location in Baldur's Gate II!

Oz, home of the Great and Powerful! Couldn't find a good size on this one though.

Discworld, carried by elephants carried by a turtle! I had to include this one.

Mundus/Nirn, the... plane? (It's complicated) on which the Elder Scrolls are read!

And finally, my personal favorite map. I know most of it like the back of my hand, and the time I spent here provided me with endless hours of enjoyment and continues to do so to this day. Presenting Fallout: New Vegas's Mojave Wasteland.

This map gets bonus points by being represented in-game, in a callback to the prequel comic Chance's Folly.

That's all your fictional maps for today, folks!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

razorrozar posted:

Here's the map from the Harvard Lampoon's "Bored of the Rings".

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

razorrozar posted:

There's an amazing book by Karen Wynn Fonstad that has a lot of maps of Arda at many points in its history, including maps of both Bilbo's journey to the Lonely Mountain and Back Again and the Fellowship's travels in Middle Earth.

Arda in the First Age.

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

razorrozar posted:

Discworld, carried by elephants carried by a turtle! I had to include this one.

I beg to differ, I have this tattooed on the back of my right shoulder

Based on Stephen Brigg's excellent fold out map:

He also did one of Ankh Morpork:

oldmandon
Feb 10, 2004

OMG! It's OMD!
I've always liked this image of Springfield.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Any of Craig Ferguson's maps:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

At first glance, I thought this was a schematic for some kind of gun. What's it a map of?

(Also, Clever Handsomeland is the best. :scotland:)

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

prefect posted:

At first glance, I thought this was a schematic for some kind of gun. What's it a map of?

(Also, Clever Handsomeland is the best. :scotland:)

Doom E1M1.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
How about some Super Metroid? Linking to them because they're loving gigantic.

Full Map

Crateria

Brinstar

Norfair

Wrecked Ship

Maridia

Tourian

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
I like maps, ever since geography in school. What gets me about most fictitious maps is that they just throw poo poo wherever it lands and never take into account natural formations.

Ireland

Kowloon

Poland

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Gruffalo Soldier posted:

I beg to differ, I have this tattooed on the back of my right shoulder

Based on Stephen Brigg's excellent fold out map:

Medieval Medic posted:

I like maps, ever since geography in school. What gets me about most fictitious maps is that they just throw poo poo wherever it lands and never take into account natural formations.

If I remember right the first draft of the map was a more traditional fantasy map, but then Terry Pratchett look at it and went something like 'What the heck is this, why are there rivers coming out of no where, have you ever even heard of rain shadow?" So they redid the map to have an actual logic to the geography, once you get past the whole flat disc on top of a space turtle thing.

Fernhill
Oct 28, 2013

A map of physics, made in 1939. The rivers are branches of physics, and they merge over time as physical laws become more general:

(click for full size)

Map of an Englishman, a 2004 work by Grayson Perry:

(click for full size)

To go with my earlier map of Baarle-Hertog, here is a map of Cooch Behar, an enclave complex on the border of India and Bangladesh. (Bangladesh was East Pakistan when the map was made.) The enclaves have existed since a 1713 treaty between the Mughal Empire and the Kingdom of Cooch Behar.

(click for full size)

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Fernhill posted:

The famous map of the London Underground by Harry Beck published in 1933. It was famous for being the first to use a linear schematic of the lines, and the London Underground has used this sort of map ever since.

I have had more contemporary versions of this map on my bedroom wall since I was five or so, replacing it every few years with the updated edition. This is the version I grew up with:

(click for big)

The current one tries to put a lot more information, such as fare zones and handicap accessible stations, into one place, so it ends up a little less elegant:

(click for big)

New York tried to go diagrammatic in the '70s, with the famous Vignelli map:

(click for big)

I think the results are beautiful. Just take a look at the detail:

However, it wasn't popular over time. The modern map is perhaps more usable, but nowhere near as pleasing:

(click for big)

Anyway, if you like transit maps, I highly recommend Transit Maps, a tumblr run by an amateur map maker.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
I thought this version of the NYC transit map looked neat, although it's admittedly a lot less useful.

Makes it look like some sort of futuristic circular megacity.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Linked for hugeness and also not getting it to work on imgur.

A map of Europe from Scott Westerfield's Leviathan, a trilogy of YA World War I alternate history novels in which the Allies' genetically engineered warbeasts fight the mechanized walkers of Central Powers. I haven't read it, but the illustrations are awesome.

http://www.keiththompsonart.com/pages/grandmap.html

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Pretty accurate representation of Vancouver.

Looking at this, one would think "There can't possibly be that many hipsters in East Van", but there are. Oh, there are.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bonk posted:

Pretty accurate representation of Vancouver.

Looking at this, one would think "There can't possibly be that many hipsters in East Van", but there are. Oh, there are.

That's a lot of lesbians.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

This is something I never thought I'd say about a map but - Incredible.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sQFx_e_0jc

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Supreme Allah posted:

This is something I never thought I'd say about a map but - Incredible.

Maps are awesome. But that map is super loving awesome.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Another awesome map: a "bird’s-eye" map of Boston from 1899. It is an amazing work of art.

(click for 9999×6446 11.6 MB image)

Edit: An even more amazing example of the "bird’s-eye" maps, an 1898 map of the business district of Chicago by the Poole Bros.’s. The use of color is beautiful.

(click for 7999×5762 17.4 MB image)

Brother Jonathan has a new favorite as of 07:26 on Dec 1, 2013

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIIxlgcuQRU

no_shit_columbo
Jul 26, 2013

I spent the better half of my high school years in this map

FFXI's Vanadiel

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

A map of internet usage:
http://i.minus.com/iZU6w0KZYhzpF.gif (linked for 9mb gif)
And how it was built

Also XKCD's maps of the internet:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
These are interesting: Europe as a Queen

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
The Onion: Our Dumb World is one of my favorites things all-time. I was a huge atlas nerd when I was a kid and have a number of giant old ones from the 1930s-60s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
Europe during World War I, by the awesome concept artist Kieth Thompson.

• Locked thread