Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Liberia finally switched over?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

This one's good too:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

If the Earth somehow can still sustain life 250 million years later I'd like to see that gigantic mountain (seriously how tall would that thing be?) or huge lake in the middle of the continent.

Jerry Manderbilt has a new favorite as of 03:55 on Jan 12, 2014

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

If the Earth somehow can still sustain life 250 million years later I'd like to see that gigantic mountain or huge lake in the middle of the continent.

That looks like an exciting new earth and I wanna live there.

Also it means no more flying over/close to the Med.
gently caress flying over the Oceans and seas.

on the bad news side the Med is now completely gone

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

If the Earth somehow can still sustain life 250 million years later I'd like to see that gigantic mountain or huge lake in the middle of the continent.

How are Alaska and Baja California almost the same as they are now?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Kakairo posted:

How are Alaska and Baja California almost the same as they are now?

At a guess because they're at the edges and there's no other landmass for them to get smooshed into. It's not just them, the whole of the West Coast looks about the same as today and much of South America and northern Russia look to be the same way, just at funky angles.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

freebooter posted:

This one's good too:

Metric I can understand, and I feel the US should make a greater effort to convert.

But I've never seen the point in using Celsius for weather. 0-100 is a nice round-numbered scale, but Celsius never uses over half of that for weather. You don't need anything approaching boiling. In Celsius, 35 is really hot outside, but there's no benchmark number it approaches to portray that. In Fahrenheit, 0-100 is a relatively comfortable range for human life with extremes on either end - you wouldn't want to live in much hotter or colder. In temperate areas the bottom third of the 0-100 range is winter, the middle third is spring/autumn, and the top third is summer. I've been in 118 F weather, and it's hot as balls. 40 doesn't have the same ring to it.

sticklefifer has a new favorite as of 06:57 on Jan 12, 2014

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

If the Earth somehow can still sustain life 250 million years later I'd like to see that gigantic mountain (seriously how tall would that thing be?) or huge lake in the middle of the continent.

That's gonna be one arid-as-gently caress Earth.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I like Fahrenheit because it's what I'm used to.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

sticklefifer posted:

Metric I can understand, and I feel the US should make a greater effort to convert.

But I've never seen the point in using Celsius for weather. 0-100 is a nice round-numbered scale, but Celsius never uses over half of that for weather. You don't need anything approaching boiling. In Celsius, 35 is really hot outside, but there's no benchmark number it approaches to portray that. In Fahrenheit, 0-100 is a relatively comfortable range for human life with extremes on either end - you wouldn't want to live in much hotter or colder. In temperate areas the bottom third of the 0-100 range is winter, the middle third is spring/autumn, and the top third is summer. I've been in 118 F weather, and it's hot as balls. 40 doesn't have the same ring to it.

I think it's just the perspective you're coming at it from. You could swap celsius and fahrenheit and then talk about how you just have freezing at some random number, and your argument is basically identical to what I'd say. I'm in the UK, so to me 40 is a number that's really kind of uncomfortable to live in while I don't really have a hold on what 118 is. If I'm reading about the Polar Vortex thing, all temperatures are coming in Fahrenheit and the only idea I really have of what those mean based on the fact that I know freezing is about 32, comparisons between the numbers and everyone saying it's really cold.

It's weird how ingrained an arbitrary number scale can get that two systems which aren't really objectively better or worse can just sound incomprehensible and stupid to two different people simply because they've been using the other. Of course, since Celsius has 0 and 100 based on hard, identifiable and visible boundaries while Fahrenheit has it because some guy said "hey, we should put our numbers here," it's obviously better.

Driving on the right is silly, because I'm used to the left.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Except the Atlantic is the ocean that's expanding and the pacific is shrinking so North America should collide with east Asia, not Europe.

edit: looking it up its apparently a bit more complicated then that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangaea_Ultima

Vorpal Cat has a new favorite as of 08:16 on Jan 12, 2014

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Also it means no more flying over/close to the Med.
gently caress flying over the Oceans and seas.
Why? This seems like a strange position to take. If you're in a plane for hours at a time, what difference does it make what's under you?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

MooCowlian posted:

boundaries while Fahrenheit has it because some guy said "hey, we should put our numbers here," it's obviously better.

Driving on the right is silly, because I'm used to the left.

Fahrenheit is based on scale. Freezing to Normal Human Body Temperature (as originally measured) was separated by exactly 64 degrees. Now that normal is 98 it's kind of broken.

edit, wiki: " he adjusted the scale so that the melting point of ice would be 32 degrees and body temperature 96 degrees, so that 64 intervals would separate the two, allowing him to mark degree lines on his instruments by simply bisecting the interval six times"

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

FourLeaf posted:

If you're from the United States, you can take this quiz to generate a map showing where your dialect is most common. Here's my map:

As neat as this is for Americans, I find it way more fascinating for foreigners to compare.

I live 3 hours drive north of the Montana border, so this really isn't a surprise:

This answer made me laugh though, I don't think it gets bluer than that. Almost everyone I know says runners, so I guess that's a really Canadian word.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hydrolith posted:

Why? This seems like a strange position to take. If you're in a plane for hours at a time, what difference does it make what's under you?

I dunno. Subjective amounts of turbulence and discomfort.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Project Reality was a really good game and Al-Basrah was a really good map.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Just The Facts posted:

Project Reality was a really good game and Al-Basrah was a really good map.

Ah man, PR when the stars aligned (2 teams with great commanders, squads with mics) was a phenomenal game. Nothing felt so large scale on such a small scale. I loved how weapon kits and tanks were so preciously vital to winning a game.

I like slow paced shooters and the frantic firefights, if only it had its own engine so they could incorporate stuff like tracking your own squad mates better. I know you can check the clunky map but when you're running in a forest with no friendly tags it's a bit hard. Realism!!!

I saw they released a version a few months back but I don't have the time or commitment to just jump in. I think I bought the BF2 pack on steam so I might give it a go.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Picnic Princess posted:

As neat as this is for Americans, I find it way more fascinating for foreigners to compare.

I live 3 hours drive north of the Montana border, so this really isn't a surprise:

This answer made me laugh though, I don't think it gets bluer than that. Almost everyone I know says runners, so I guess that's a really Canadian word.

Well, maybe middle Canada. On the west coast we say sneakers.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

freebooter posted:

This one's good too:

In October Burma announced it was going to go officially metric, I think I read somewhere that Liberia is preparing to as well.

Apparently Hawaii will become the first US State to go metric in 2018.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Peanut President posted:

Fahrenheit is based on scale. Freezing to Normal Human Body Temperature (as originally measured) was separated by exactly 64 degrees. Now that normal is 98 it's kind of broken.

edit, wiki: " he adjusted the scale so that the melting point of ice would be 32 degrees and body temperature 96 degrees, so that 64 intervals would separate the two, allowing him to mark degree lines on his instruments by simply bisecting the interval six times"

Yeah, I was exaggerating the case to make a point. At the end of a day, it's still basically based on whatever the lowest temperature he could get a hold of was and our body temperature, fiddled to make it easy for measuring. It's not necessarily worse than celsius, especially given that similar to fahrenheit, better measurement now has freezing and boiling at not quite 0 and 100, but I definitely disagree that fahrenheit is actually better or more useful.

Edit:

made of bees posted:

The only reasonable temperature scale is Kelvin :colbert:

Three digit temperatures for everything I want to use? No way, man.

Deformed Church has a new favorite as of 20:25 on Jan 12, 2014

made of bees
May 21, 2013
The only reasonable temperature scale is Kelvin :colbert:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I believe the strength of the rocks that make up the Earth's crusts put the upper limit of mountains at about 10 kilometers, though don't quote me on it. Anyway, there's also erosion, which cuts them down to size if they're really tall and not supported by additional mountain building. The Rocky Mountains in the US for example were like the Tibetan plateau when they were first formed,~55 million years ago, but erosion quickly reduced them to a more manageable size. Apparently erosion is actually strengthened during the super continent phase, so it might not take long to smooth that poo poo out.

Mister Adequate posted:

At a guess because they're at the edges and there's no other landmass for them to get smooshed into. It's not just them, the whole of the West Coast looks about the same as today and much of South America and northern Russia look to be the same way, just at funky angles.
Parts of California are attached to the Pacific Plate though, and it's not impossible that the stresses of it rubbing against North America causes the San Andreas fault to shift inwards and cut straight across, which would let the Pacific Plate pull most of California northwards into Alaska.

It's also ignoring the fact that the mantle of the Earth isn't entirely uniform, with some continents riding high and others sitting low. Indonesia for example sits about a kilometer lower than Europe and most of North America, while Africa around the Rift Valley is some hundreds of meters higher. Which means that when the continents move, the coastline can change dramatically. This also ignores the rebound after the last glaciation, which I can see they haven't included in that map.

E: Oh yeah, the spreading of the sea floor also raises the sea level considerably, so it would probably drop during the mostly inactive phase of the super continent. I believe that was the case during the Triassic.

Vorpal Cat posted:

Except the Atlantic is the ocean that's expanding and the pacific is shrinking so North America should collide with east Asia, not Europe.

edit: looking it up its apparently a bit more complicated then that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangaea_Ultima
That's only one scenario though, there is also the theory that the continents will assemble around the North Pole, since the rule of previous super continents seems to have been to reassemble at a 90 degree angle to the previous center. In that scenario, Antarctica probably doesn't get to join though.

A Buttery Pastry has a new favorite as of 21:31 on Jan 12, 2014

Hip Flask
Dec 14, 2010

Zip Mask
Celsius is perfect for us norwegians. Above zero, it rains, below, it snows.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

United Van Lines published their its inbound and outbound moving data for the U.S., so Seth Kadish at Vizual Statistix compiled the data & made a map.

Android Apocalypse has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Jan 13, 2014

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Android Bicyclist posted:

United Van Lines published their its inbound and outbound moving data for the U.S., so Seth Kadish at Vizual Statistix compiled the data & made a map.

Moving to Oregon in April
:toot:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Retronaut posted some interesting maps today, all displaying the non-existent island of Brasil.

Piri Reis 1513

Ortellius 1595

Gerardus Mercator 1589

Unknown 1570

Wikipedia on 'Brasil (mythical island)' posted:

Brasil, also known as Hy-Brasil or several other variants,[1] is a phantom island which was said to lie in the Atlantic Ocean west of Ireland. In Irish myths it was said to be cloaked in mist, except for one day each seven years, when it became visible but still could not be reached. It probably has similar roots to other mythical islands said to exist in the Atlantic, such as Atlantis, Saint Brendan's Island, and the Isle of Mam.

Nautical charts identified an island called "Bracile" west of Ireland in the Atlantic Ocean as far back as 1325, in a portolan chart by Angelino Dulcert. Later it appeared as Insula de Brasil in the Venetian map of Andrea Bianco (1436), attached to one of the larger islands of a group of islands in the Atlantic. This was identified for a time with the modern island of Terceira in the Azores.

A Catalan chart of about 1480 labels two islands "Illa de brasil", one to the south west of Ireland (where the mythical place was supposed to be) and one south of "Illa verde" or Greenland.

On maps the island was shown as being circular, often with a central strait or river running east-west across its diameter. Despite the failure of attempts to find it, this appeared regularly on maps lying south west of Galway Bay until 1865, by which time it was called Brasil Rock.

E: Another interesting map from Retronaut: Thomas Burnet's 1694 map of the world without water

Rabbit Hill has a new favorite as of 17:59 on Jan 14, 2014

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Does this count as a map?

Click fer bigger.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
A map of a shot-ton of micro and craft breweries in the US:

Click for MASSIVE.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Middle Earth on Europe

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

joedevola posted:

Does this count as a map?

Click fer bigger.

gently caress yeah. I printed this in poster size and hung it on my wall :razz:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

JEEVES420 posted:

gently caress yeah. I printed this in poster size and hung it on my wall :razz:
I remember making the Steven Segal film room but I totally forgot the :v:s digging up tetris blocks to put on a conveyor belt to other :v:s who disassemble and bury the blocks for the :v:s to dig up again. :allears:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Hogge Wild posted:

Middle Earth on Europe

I wouldn't have guessed Mordor was in the Balkans.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

DrBouvenstein posted:

Click for MASSIVE.

Goddamn Americans love beer :stare:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

DrBouvenstein posted:

Click for MASSIVE.

Being a European I, of course, used to always talk poo poo about American beer.

Then I had some stuff brewed by Big Sky up in Missoula and I shut the hell up. There are some ridiculously good craft breweries out there. :stare:

Fernhill
Oct 28, 2013

The famous Vinland Map:

(click for 3038x2103)

Discovered in 1957, it was believed to be the first map to depict the Americas, showing areas where the Norse explorers had landed. It is now believed by many to be a clever forgery.

For the history of the controversy, see Analyzing the Vinland Map: Is It a Fake? and a special PBS Nova episode on it: Nova: The Viking Deception. Real or fake, the story behind it is fascinating.

Captain Yesterday
Oct 8, 2007

Now it's time to do my people's native dance "DO THE HUSTLE"

(click for big)

Urban planner makes map of what Seattle would look like if all the world's ice sheets melted.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

There's a google map app that does this too.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

At 60m, literally my entire hometown in the East Bay (except the wealthiest parts in the eastern hills) would be flooded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Those kinds of things assume an immediate/unimpeded rise though. During the gradual rise of the water that would happen over centuries, coastal cities would be setting up huge levees, dams, and channels.

• Locked thread