Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Jumping right into a world run by Helios is a terrible idea, the computers will just be a kabuki mask for unaccountable humans.

If you want to use IT to change society there are more feasible concepts, like a federally mandated central listing for jobs and housing. It makes supply/demand more efficient, simplifies tax collection, and we can start cracking down on scams and MLMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ocean Book posted:

Yeah I really wish something like this exists. I think about it sometimes and it seems pretty stupid that we don't have it.

It is something we have to fight for. Right now information technology is only being seriously applied in ways that serve the people at the top (the NSA panopticon being the prime example). We need to start making noise about common sense, populist applications.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BlueBlazer posted:

All I know is that when the robot rebellion comes, my robot won't kill me... or it will kill everyone... That's all up to the voices in my head.

In all seriousness, IT is such an insular industry where there is too much power granted to a privileged set of neck-beards who were fortunate enough to grow up with the technology at hand. IT is a TOOL, not a gift granted by the gods, and the sooner we wake up and realize that this IT doesn't make us some sort of uber-mensch, the sooner we can share those tools for the good of all.

Technology is not the future, it is a tool of the future, and by extension those that fetish it and focus on it as a way of life are tools to be controlled as well.

Randian tech geeks are basically a reiteration of Stalin's Bolsheviks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3gwyHNo7MI

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I like to think (and
the sooner the better!)
of a cybernetic meadow
where mammals and computers
live together in mutually
programming harmony
like pure water
touching clear sky.

I like to think
(right now, please!)
of a cybernetic forest
filled with pines and electronics
where deer stroll peacefully
past computers
as if they were flowers
with spinning blossoms.

I like to think
(it has to be!)
of a cybernetic ecology
where we are free of our labors
and joined back to nature,
returned to our mammal
brothers and sisters,
and all watched over
by machines of loving grace.

- Richard Brautigan

It would be great to create public fleets of autonomous vehicles (creating jobs through strict maintenance schedules and generally improving the energy efficiency of civilization). However like a central jobs/property market it would be very strongly opposed, not just by the entrenched political/economic actors, but by the general reactionary nature of our present society. People are disillusioned about all top-down change, and truthfully that is the only way things get done. Note how both hippies and Randians believe in changing the worldview and actions of individuals ('War is Over (If you want it)' and 'Read Ayn Rand') rather than having any kind of pragmatic reforms.

The baby boomers are a generation defined by individualism. Applying IT in a substantial way is inherently collectivist and overcoming the culture of individualism is the biggest challenge.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

enraged_camel posted:

You have yet to explain how public transportation coverage, frequency and comfort can match that of an on-demand service like Uber.

I already did.

Public Autonomous Vehicle Fleets. In urban areas you can basically eliminate congestion and massively improve traffic safety by phasing out personal cars in favor of autonomous trucks and buses.

Smaller, On-demand vehicles can be used for trips outside the scope of urban mass transit.

But the personal car is central to our individualist consumer society, so yeah.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Huttan posted:

I predict that shared self-driving vehicles will be more popular with the central panopticon-state.

Yeah it does have major privacy implications, but with smartphones and license plate readers it isn't like we aren't already 75% of the way there; with none of the environmental/economic benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Eripsa, I'll do a quick statistical experiment this month.

I'll look at as many of your threads in D&D as I can (can you give me a definite N?) and get some stats about repeating repliers (like myself) and how the threads turn out.

It would be interesting if they follow a similar pattern.

Cicero posted:

It'd also destroy a lot of jobs though.

I disagree. There would be regular maintenance/cleaning routines, work done by humans with tools. The system must be administrated, probably done on a county/state level in terms of purchasing/requesting custom vehicles (work done by human designers and manufacturing robots [machines that also need regular maintenance]).

The Amazon thing evokes an image of local warehouses staffed by people and forklifts with trucks coming and going. Although I read a BBC story recently about Amazon pickers carrying smartphones and running around like rats in a maze. Give them bicycles. I'd do that job.

There will still be markets for industrial vehicles, as well (tractors, UAVs, dumptrucks), and for insurance reasons there will be a long time where a human will be sitting in the driver's seat as a failsafe.

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 2, 2013

• Locked thread