Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt
I think it's a great idea to start a new country that avoids a lot of the legacy costs that other nations have. It's a lot easier to build a strong welfare state if you start off with a bunch of people who don't really need a welfare state in the first place. On top of that, if you start a large country that steals a lot of these people from existing states, it will hurt their competitive position greatly, mostly replicating the white flight phenomenon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Space Gopher posted:

Maybe on a very limited scale, but it's not likely to ever see widespread use.

Flying vehicles have to fight gravity with constant energy consumption, and they're very maintenance-intensive (with catastrophic results from any non-recoverable failure). Plus, small vehicles can't lift much.

When delivering a bunch of lightweight, expensive electronics, the extra costs aren't really that much. I saw it mentioned that Amazon could use this in combination with autonomous vehicles. Pack a bunch of drones onto autonomous cars, and use software to find the most efficient combination of service to deliver what are mostly small, light packages. Drive to a neighborhood and do individual stops for large stuff, and simultaneously deploying drones that are delivering the small packages. The drones could then recharge while driving to the next area.

• Locked thread