Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Dedicated to the memory of Danny "Parameterdown" Suthivarakom

Now playing/translating: Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 2!

Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 2 - Rubbing Boys the Wrong Way
Meet the Cast, Part 1: The Girls
Meet the Cast, Part 2: The Boys
Chapter 1: Uncle Sheepy, could you read us a bedtime story?
Chapter 1.1: You can get with this...
Chapter 1.2: Or you can get with that
Chapter 2: We're not the same 'cause we don't know the game
Chapter 3: Us kids are gonna make some mistakes
Interlude: A future of trolling
Chapter 4: It was all a dream
Chapter 5: The fuse is lit and I'm about to go
Chapter 6: Let's show the guys that we know
Chapter 7: Your mouth's moving fast, and your brain's moving slow
Chapter 8: Tell me the last time that love bought you clothes
Chapter 9: Return of the Mack
Chapter 10: That's all right 'cause I get things cookin'
Chapter 11: Gimme that funk that sweet that funky stuff
Chapter 12: Being the hunted one is no fun

What is Tokimeki Memorial?

Tokimeki Memorial (TokiMemo) is a series from Konami that started in 1994 and quickly became as synonymous with the company as Castlevania. The first game alone has been released for 8 consoles, while the TokiMemo franchise has spawned 3 sequels, dozens of side games, a Girl's Side franchise aimed at female audiences, and sold so much merchandise that the Konami Style store still sells it to this day.

The game classifies itself as a "Romance simulation" (恋愛シミュレーション), a genre which brings a lot of derision outside of Japan but really isn't all that different from playing The Sims. In all of the main TokiMemo games, you take on the role of a Japanese high school student from the first day of freshman year until graduation day. Along the way, you build up stats that represent your skill at sports, aptitude for academics, or good looks. All of these help you get into good colleges, ensure your future employment, and ideally, win you the heart of one of the ensemble cast of potential high school sweethearts.

While it sounds pretty plain - and it is, at least for the early ones - the games were groundbreaking for their time. They were huge hits (well, except for 3), spawned dozens of imitators, and their influence can still be seen today in games like Harvest Moon, Persona, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and many, many more.

Why are the Japanese so obsessed with high school, anyway?

To understand why so much Japanese media obsesses over high school life, you have to understand how Japanese society worked in the '90s. In general, Japanese companies used a "membership-based" model of employment, which was (and is) unique to Japan. The membership model of employment means that Japanese companies don't hire people to fill specific positions, instead hiring people based on how dedicated to the company they will be. To quote a fascinating article: "Instead of recruiting and hiring workers with specific skills to perform particular work when needed, Japanese companies have generally hired young people en masse immediately upon their graduation from college (or, especially in earlier days, from high school) by taking applications from students before they graduate and attempting to select ones with the latent ability to do any sort of work that the company may assign them."

This means that for most people about to enter the workforce, their actual college education was essentially meaningless unless they went to a trade school; they couldn't really train for a specific field of work because they had no idea what field of work they were going into, they just knew what kind of company they wanted to be hired by. The moment students were accepted into college, their quality of life for the rest of their lives had essentially been decided for them based on the prestige level of the school.

Let that sink in for a moment; imagine a world where your entire working life has already been laid out for you based on your college acceptance letters. Got into UC Berkeley or Oxford? Congratulations, you are guaranteed to be a hot commodity before you've even graduated. Forced to settle for community college? Good luck getting the third-rate jobs, loser.

This meant that for most people, high school was the last time in their lives where they felt like they had any freedom and control over their destinies. This is a big reason why high school life was so romanticized by Japanese culture. Today, while college educations have become a little more specialized to working life, high school still represents the last time in many Japanese people's lives where they can be carefree.

Why TokiMemo?

Tokimeki Memorial helped create a genre. The visual novel didn't really gain traction until Leaf's To Heart was released in 1997, and while Tokimeki Memorial wasn't the first game of its kind - as far as we can tell, that honor goes to Elf's Doukyuusei, an adult game released in 1992 - it was the first one that was available to the mass market. The characters are a lot of fun, and you can see echoes of them in modern Japanese games too.

I first played this game in high school, and it had a pretty big impact on my life. It's one of the tools I used to learn Japanese, it's a game I forged lifelong friendships over, and hey, the 20th anniversary is coming up! Why not share the love with the goons?

What can we expect from this LP?

Over the course of this thread, I plan on playing through every Tokimeki Memorial game in order. At major decision points, I'll throw it up to all of the readers so that they can choose how the character's life goes within certain limits - no quadruple Forever Alone endings, please. On the way, I'll touch on topics like Japanese culture and education, anime character archetypes, and miscellaneous trivia. Any questions you might have, I'll field!

Are there any rules?

Just be polite! And, please, be smart about spoilers.

Tokimeki Memorial Runs

Tokimeki Memorial: Introduction and Shiori run

Tokimeki Memorial: Yuina run

Tokimeki Memorial 2 Runs

Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial 2!

Maho route, chapter 1: Homecoming

Character Poll 2

Akane route, chapter 1: Live by the sword

Homura route, chapter 1: The worst president in history

Tokimeki Memorial 3: Serika run

Tokimeki Memorial 3: the game that killed a franchise

Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side: Blind (Kazuma) run

Welcome to Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side, Tokimemo 3's better-looking fraternal twin.

Gifs and fun things!

Science.

Science!

Every high school student's nightmare: bears throwing boomerang salmon.

:science:

Ayako won't stop 'til she gets enough.

Megumi only knows how to give one kind of present.

Dragonball Z has it all wrong, this is the real way teenagers power up.

The computer club is the best club in Tokimemo.

The drama club is the best club in Tokimemo 2.

This is, without a doubt, the best mini-game in Tokimemo 2.

kissekatt and Shofra's guide to telling the differences between Miho and Maho in early Tokimemo 2

Tarezax's fan art of Tokimemo 3 (which looks better than the game does)

A collection of the best Tokimemo Girl's Side animations.

Special thanks to seiya, cyxx, ndarkstar, pocky, and totoroslayer for helping me with fact checking, translation, and tech!

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Shiori run table of contents
Chapter 1: The First Day of School (this post)
Planning for Perfection: Or, How I Learned to Start Worrying and Hate the Bomb
Chapter 2: Spring 1995, a Tale of Trumpets and Being Bad at Sports
Chapter 3: Summer 1995, Close Encounters of the Yuina Kind
Chapter 4: Summer 1995, part 2 - These Six Times at Band Camp
Chapter 5: Fall 1995, Ducking and Weaving
Chapter 6: Christmas 1995, Groundhog Goon
Chapter 7: New Year's 1996, Not THE God, just A God.
Chapter 8: Spring 1996, Walking the Tightrope
Chapter 9: Spring 1996 Part 2, The Baby-Faced Assassin
Chapter 10: Summer 1996, The Path of Perfection Begins
Chapter 11: Fall 1996, Bear Territory Part 1
Chapter 12: Fall 1996, Bear Territory Part 2
Chapter 13: The Smell of Napalm in the Morning
Chapter 14: Winter 1996/97, Groundhog Christmas 2
Chapter 15: Winter 1997, All Downhill from Here
Chapter 16: Spring 1997, My Name is Goonzymandias, Teen of Teens
Chapter 17: Summer 1997, The Mark of Goon's Dignity Shall Scar Thy DNA
Chapter 18: Fall 1997, What is a Goon? A Miserable Pile of Perfection!
Chapter 19: Winter 1997/98, All Realities, All Dimensions are Open to Goon
Chapter 20: I am Goon. The End Has Come!

The First Day of school!

So let's get started! Roll the opening movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKEo2IVESK4
Inspiring, huh? This song was all the rage back in 1996, and in the back of my head I can still hear the sold-out concerts doing the call-and-response chants...

Step 1: we have to have a name! All names in this LP will be in Japanese order, family name - first name. I've chosen the last name Fudou because I've used that forever, while the first name is Gunpei out of respect for the creator of the Game Boy.

Ah, who'm I kidding, I did it because it has "Goon" in the name, which is also our nickname for this run!

There are two names that you can enter here that act as codes, just like in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Naming yourself Konami Man will set all of your stats to ridiculously high levels, while Minna Nakayoshi ("everybody's friendly") will... make everyone friendly. Neither of these codes are as attractive as you'd think.

Step 2: birthday and blood type. The Japanese think that blood type is just as important as astrological sign when it comes to predicting personality and such; I don't put much stock in it, but some of my Japanese friends still do. retcon: since we're going for Shiori's route here, it's time to put Goon's birthday on 3/30.

Step 3: We get to choose our Childhood Friend Shiori's birthday and blood type too! This actually has a gameplay effect, as what club Shiori joins is defined by the following formula: (day*3 + month) mod 11. You can also get a special event if you have the same birthday as Shiori, so pretty much everyone makes it the same. So in this retconned playthrough, she will join the Concert Band. Check out the Planning Perfection post on why this is important.

It's time to start our wonderful school life! Wind up the wayback machine, we're going to April 4th, 1995 - the first day of school! The theory is that Japanese schools start in April to match the fiscal year, and conveniently, that places the start of school right around when the cherry blossoms are in full bloom. Pink trees for everybody!

Goon: My name is Fudo Gunpei. Starting today, I'm a student here at Kirameki Private High School.

Goon: This school was my first choice, and I never thought I'd make it, but I was lucky and got accepted.
Goon: I'm so happy, because I get to go to the same school as the girl I've secretly liked forever, Fujisaki Shiori.

This big white board here is how Japanese schoolkids find out what homeroom they're in. The convention is to divide classes into 1-A, 1-B, 1-C, etc.

Goon: We've been friends since grade school, and we've been neighbors forever...
Goon: But compared to me, she's the moon and I'm a mud turtle. So we've never been more than friends...

And there it is, the face that launched a thousand ships! Shiori was, and is, the most popular character in Tokimeki Memorial history. She is also one of the most notoriously difficult routes in any romance simulation, ever.

Yoshio: Yo! What's with the troubled face?
Goon: Uh... uh, nothing, really. (Who is this guy, and why's he acting like he knows me?)
Yoshio: My name's Saotome Yoshio. Nice to meet you! What's your name?
Goon: Fudou Gunpei. Nice to meet you too.

Girl A: He's here!
Girl B: Oh, he's so wonderful!
Yoshio: What? What're the girls so excited about?

Rei: Hello, everyone. Sorry to keep you waiting.
Rei: I don't believe anyone here could possibly not know who I am, but...
Rei: I am Ijuuin Rei, the grandson of this school's chairman of the board.
Rei: I apologize to all the males in this class... but ah well, let's all get along.
Yoshio: Ijuuin?! That super-rich Ijuuin? I hate this class already...
Goon: Y...yeah.

Ijuuin Rei started a long tradition of secret characters in ren'ai simulations. if you spend every weekend calling him, you'll eventually find out that he's actually a girl in men's clothing due to the pressures of being the heir to a business empire. But it's also an incredibly boring play-through, so it's not worth doing a Let's Play of this; you can find her special events and ending here on YouTube if you want to see it.

Goon: Oh, looks like it's Shiori's turn to introduce herself.
Shiori: Hello, everyone! My name is Fujisaki Shiori.
Shiori: My hobbies include listening to music, especially classical. I'm pleased to meet you all.

Yoshio: She's cuuuuute... Fujisaki Shiori-chan, eh? I'm so glad I'm in this class!
Goon: (Didn't he just say that he hated this class a second ago?)
Yoshio: Whoa! She just looked your way! Do you know that girl?
Goon: Yeah, we're childhood friends.
Yoshio: Is that so?! Then what's her birthday?
Goon: 3/30.
Yoshio: Blood type?
Goon: O.
Yoshio: Hobbies?
Goon: She just said it, music.
Yoshio: Oh. Huh. And her measurements?
Goon: How the hell should I know?
Yoshio: Alright, check!
Goon: Whoa. That notebook... it's filled with notes about girls, isn't it?
Yoshio: Hey, if you ever need to know anything about a girl, just contact me! I'll help you out any time.
Goon: Y...yeah? Thanks.

Yoshio created another archetype that has survived through the decades as well - as your Designated Best Friend, he also provides a vital gameplay role by meticulously creating profiles of all the female characters, and somehow magically knowing all of their phone numbers. He gets to be the Exposition Fairy, and acts creepy so you don't have to!

Yoshio: Oh yeah, have you heard about this school's Legendary Tree?

No, I didn't. Thanks, Exposition Fairy!

Yoshio: Look at the window. See that huge tree?
Goon: Yeah?
Yoshio: They say that if a girl confesses her love to you under that tree, the two of you will live happily ever after.
Goon: Huh, I didn't know there was something like that around here.
Yoshio: I don't know who started it, but I'm so jealous of them.

The Tree of Legend is a trope that gets reused in romance simulations all of the time. It's pretty much at the point where a game feels weird if there isn't some kind of magical legend that means you'll live happily ever after.

Goon: Yeah... If it were me...
Goon: And that is how my high school life of worries and hopes started.

Don't get your hopes up too high, Gunpei. You're just setting yourself up for failure! I mean, uh, aim for the brass ring! Anything is possible with constant saving and reloading!
Especially since the goons voted on Utter Perfection, the jerks! Speaking of which, let's get acquainted with the menu that will define the next three years of Gunpei's life!

This is the core of every TokiMemo game. Stats, and the activities you do to raise them. The stats are laid out as follows:

Stamina | Literature | Science
Art | Sports | General knowledge
Looks | Guts | Stress

The 8 major daily activities are:

Study Lit | Study Science | Practice Art
Exercise | (FREE SPACE) | Club (currently grayed out)
Hang out | Preen | Sleep

We'll get to the grayed-out options later, though the two available options are just "system" and "calendar", so nothing really interesting there.

Choosing one of the eight main activities has you perform that action for the next six days, which changes your stats. In general, studying will raise the appropriate stat while slightly lowering the sports or looks stats, exercise will raise sports while lowering academics, and once you join a club, you'll have more powerful versions of the same kind of effect. Hanging out tends to raise general knowledge while lowering stress, preening in front of a mirror does exactly what you think it does, and sleep is purely for raising Stamina and lowering Stress. This is important because if you let your Stamina fall below 30 or your Stress rise above 100, you'll most likely get sick and be forced to sleep for a week or more!
Of course, this game being this game, there are certain girls who'll come over to your house and take care of you if you get sick, so you might want that to happen anyway...

Sundays and holidays bring up a special version of this menu: you can go on dates, call girls in order to invite them on dates, or call Yoshio or Rei for vital information or for Rei's secret, honestly kinda boring ending.

So here comes the first, and possibly most important, choice for young Fudou Gunpei! What will he focus on in his high school life?

A) Academics! I have to get into a good school, so I need to hit the books - maybe meet a nice girl in the library or a girl whose life is devoted to SCIENCE!

Mio: Treasure these glasses, because there ain't many more in the series who fit this fetish.

Yuina: Get in, boys, we're doing SCIENCE!

B) Arts! I don't want to be a cog in the machine, I want to SING, father!

Ayako: Art... and, weirdly, English

Mira: She actually doesn't really care what you do, as long as you look as good as her doing it.

Yuuko: who honestly just wants to hang out and have fun.

C) Sports! I'm gonna be the very best, like no one ever was!

Saki: The one constant throughout the years, Gunpei, has been baseball.

Nozomi: Because swimming gives you mermaid hair.

Yukari: if you... don't mind... girls who talk... really... really... slowly...

D) UTTER PERFECTION! I will not rest until I have relived high school as the Nietzschean superman and ensured that my digital life is the life of a WINNER!

Yumi: it's like kissing Yoshio by proxy! Also, wrestling.

Megumi: Silver Medal

Shiori: Nintendo Hard in redhead form.

And just so you know, the Forever Alone ending looks like this:

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 3, 2014

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
Is this the PS version you are playing?

I love to see how to play this game properly. I played the SNES one years ago without knowing what was going on.

BTW I think the screenshots are too big, can you make them a bit smaller?

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013
Nothing less than utter perfection will do.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

mkwong98 posted:

Is this the PS version you are playing?

BTW I think the screenshots are too big, can you make them a bit smaller?

I'm playing the Sega Saturn version. I can resize the screenshots from 640x480 - would 480x360 work, or is smaller better?

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!
I want to kiss Yoshio, so I vote Yumi. But I've also never tried to win with Shiori either, so that is also acceptable

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013

vibratingsheep posted:

I'm playing the Sega Saturn version. I can resize the screenshots from 640x480 - would 480x360 work, or is smaller better?

480x360 would be great.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

mkwong98 posted:

480x360 would be great.

Done!

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
Thanks! Looks great.

Piano Maniac
Oct 10, 2011
Y'all gotta be outta your minds if we don't go for the super perfect doki-doki excitement childhood friend route!

Man, this thread made me wanna play Tokimeki Memorial 4 on the PSP again, it was such a good game!

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Piano Maniac posted:

Man, this thread made me wanna play Tokimeki Memorial 4 on the PSP again, it was such a good game!

TokiMemo 4 spoiled me for going back to 1 and 2, there are so many great quality of life features. And tech trees! I'll get there after I beat 1 and 2.

Cortana
Nov 2, 2003

YUKI.N>_

It's been so long now I don't even remember who I've beaten this game with anymore.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
I vote A, more specifically Yuina because :science: is awesome.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Normally I'd pick Yuuko, because she sounds chill, but how :science: is Yuina?

Also, you had it coming by offering it: D) Shiori

Because I hated high school and so will you. (Are you able to do Shiori? Like how bullshit is it when you have the rest of the internet at your disposal?)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Man, TokiMemo. The number three reason I'm trying to learn Japanese. (If you care, 1 and 2 are Super Robot Wards and Sakura Taisen).

So yeah, definitely going to be following this. Voting A for glasses.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

D for Yumi

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
A for SCIENCE!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Voting for science

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Oh, interesting. I'd heard of this game before, but only in the vaguest terms. Probably because I didn't really care and wasn't paying attention.

Anyway, it seems like an important piece of video game history, so I don't mind learning more about it. I hope Mr. Fudo here will live up to his name and cut away my ignorance.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

I should probably set a rule for voting, so I'll make it so that voting will end 24 hours after I post the poll! Updating the OP with this information.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

Rodyle posted:

Voting for science

For science!

Also, did you name yourself Goon the Unmoving :btroll: on purpose, or do you just use Fudou for no real reason?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Teddles posted:

Also, did you name yourself Goon the Unmoving :btroll: on purpose, or do you just use Fudou for no real reason?

I use Fudou because I was a big fan of Devilman when I started having to think of Internet handles. It's stuck ever since. The trollname was just a bonus.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Utter perfection. If you're going to play the entire series, best to get Shiori out of the way now so we don't have to bother with the Not Shioris in the sequels.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Will you be covering the Girls' Side games as well? I've heard that they're pretty well-regarded.

I'll throw in a vote for D.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

You say Shiori's pants are Nintendo hard to get into? Then do it. D.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Perfection! Why settle for one super serious activity? Card games, sports, puzzles, art, Goon's life will have every gimmick! In short, he wants the D!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I say go for Perfection but Yumi sounds like she'll be a lot more fun than Shiori, even if she's not as hard to get. I mean, wrestling! That has to go somewhere good.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
Oh, interesting. I've heard a lot about this series but nobody ever translated it. I'll vote for B) Arts.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

I use Fudou because I was a big fan of Devilman when I started having to think of Internet handles. It's stuck ever since. The trollname was just a bonus.

And here I was thinking this LP was crypto-Buddhist propaganda.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.
A.Yuina: For Science :science:!

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

A, because I like science and am not a masochist.

Mordecai posted:

Oh, interesting. I've heard a lot about this series but nobody ever translated it. I'll vote for B) Arts.

The first TokiMemo Girl's Side DS game is fantranslated, but it'll have entirely different romantic archetypes because it's for ~gurls~.

Speaking of otome (i.e. girl) games, if you want to experience one starring pigeons go check out the Hatoful Boyfriend LP. It even has analysis of "normal" otome game archetypes, so you can understand why bird boyfriends are so drat funny.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.
Oh man, I spent way too much time on this game as a kid. Mind you, I didn't know any Japanese (still don't!), so I just made up all the dialogue for the characters based on what online shrines said about the characters and what seemed to be going on on the screen! From what little English TokiMemo knowledge I got, this...wasn't really as far off as you might think.

...yeah, I was a weird kid :v: But in honor of this misspent youth, I'm contractually obligated to vote A due to wanting to know what my favorite character actually says! :science: (Naturally, she's also ridiculously unpopular in Japan, but I'm used to that.)

I also think you need a better method of resizing the screenshots! The ones you resized currently are hella distorted. They're also full of JPEG artifacts, so you should probably consider PNG instead! I think the translation you're doing is great work and this game is definitely worthy of the LP treatment, so I'd hate to see that hard work marred by poor visuals.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I vote for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm-upHSP9KU

That's A

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

FM posted:

I also think you need a better method of resizing the screenshots! The ones you resized currently are hella distorted. They're also full of JPEG artifacts, so you should probably consider PNG instead! I think the translation you're doing is great work and this game is definitely worthy of the LP treatment, so I'd hate to see that hard work marred by poor visuals.

I'll work on it - I was using this method of capture because it was the most convenient, but it may be time to set up my PS3 and stream/capture this whole thing properly!

PS: 4 hours to go in the poll and it appears to be a tie between A and D! Plotting out playthroughs for both just in case :)

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Ah, Tokimeki. I've heard about it, but lack the time nowadays to suss out playing it (I took Japanese in college, but it'd still take me a good several hours and at least 3 dictionaries just to suss out a scene... Not really viable, what with a job and everything). Still, as someone who only really got into visual novels a few years ago, I thank you for this thread and look forward to reliving the Magic of High School (tm)! :allears:

Well, as a Japanese fellow would see it, anyway...

As to voting, you do realize that you selling Ms. Childhood Friend there makes my gamer's OCD act up somthin' fierce, right? D!

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Although I want to say glasses, my gut says D for Yoshio and the other one that comes with him.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Girls love the D.

And I also demand the utmost in anime waifu perfection.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.
Well, you're in luck! Shiori is the closest thing to a platonic ideal of Japanese anime waifudom there could possibly be in the history of video gaming and visual novels in general. (I'm sure there's someone else more perfect-er out there, but that'd require me to admit I know far more about this stuff than any sane human being should.) She's also just as hard-to-get as advertised, if not moreso; certainly I never managed it while I was playing.

...this also means she's incredibly boring, but Japan's ideal of womanhood would appear to be someone who is perfect yet not too outspoken or ambitious, as Shiori never seems to do much of anything interesting despite supposedly being multitalented and untouchable. (The latter, though, is true as far as I can tell - certainly I never managed it.) There actually appears to be an inversely proportional relationship between 'how interesting the character is' and 'how much Japanese fans like her' when it comes to Tokimemo (among other things).

Another fun fact - Tokimeki Memorial 2 had a system by which the characters would be able to call you by your name, in some example of pre-Vocaloid technology gone horribly wrong, and a primitive precursor of the use of Vocaloids in Peace Walker a couple of decades later. (Come to think of it, Kojima did some work on Tokimemo side games during the mid-90s between Policenauts and Metal Gear Solid...wonder what those are like.)

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

FM posted:

Another fun fact - Tokimeki Memorial 2 had a system by which the characters would be able to call you by your name, in some example of pre-Vocaloid technology gone horribly wrong...

Having all the games in the Girl's Side version of this series on DS and having played one of the later Playstation games I can say that it's pretty drat hilarious to get the guys saying ridiculous poo poo as your nickname.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Perfect is boring. Science is rad. A.

• Locked thread