Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Space☆Dandy is... a dandy guy in the space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoZ2udQkr3c&hd=1

It is being directed by Shinichiro Watanabe (Director for Cowboy Bebop, Macross Plus, Samurai Champloo, Kids on the Slope) and Shingo Natsume (Key Animation for Gurren Lagann, FMA:Brotherhood), with writing by Dai Sato (Eureka Seven, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Samurai Champloo, Wolf's Rain), Keiko Nobumoto (Cowboy Bebop, Macross Plus, Wolf's Rain), and Kimiko Ueno (Here Comes the Black Witch). It's being produced by BONES. Basically? Watanabe, the dude behind Cowboy Bebop and a lot of other megahits decided he wanted to make another space opera series. Where Cowboy Bebop was 80% serious, 20% comedy, Space☆Dandy is flipping it the other way around to be 80% comedy, 20% serious. Watanabe described it as "like Mushroom Samba every week."

Space☆Dandy is, again, about a dandy guy in space. Named Dandy. He's kind of a punk, likes Hawaii (even though he's never been there), and doesn't sweat any of the small stuff. He has a lazy spacecat partner named Meow (from Betelgeuse) who spends all his time reading twitter on his iPhone, and a robot named QT which is little more than a lovely Roomba. When they aren't hanging out at Space Hooters, they travel the universe in their spaceship called the Aloha Oe, looking for new life. They often find themselves butting heads with Professor Gel, a sinister figure who pilots a spaceship made out of the Statue of Liberty's head.

Watanabe basically wanted to make a fun retro-esque space opera that captures the fun of both Bebop and 80s space operas. Each week they visit a new world and encounter new aliens, with each planet having a completely different designer (which they're keeping secret until it airs, since apparently they've brought on some heavy hitters and they want it to be a surprise). The producer has said that the narratives go pretty wild too, with basically anything being fair game so long as there's spaceships (apparently because he just likes spaceships). Like Watanabe said, they're going for a real Mushroom Samba-esque feel. The fact that Dai Sato is on board makes me really excited, as he's done a lot of good poo poo I rank amongst my favorites. Watanabe brought Keiko Nobumoto onto the writing team explicitly because she hadn't seen Star Wars and he thought it'd result in some funny scripts. Watanabe has said he wants the show to be as epic and surprising as possible, and not have a single "normal dude" in its cast.

Watanabe's anime ALWAYS revolves around music to some degree, and he's often partnered with the likes of Yoko Kanno and indie musicians from around the world to capture a particular feel for the series. Space☆Dandy has over 20 artists working on the music, with 3-4 songs per artist. We don't know who all those artists are yet, but it's bound to be pretty eclectic. I'd be surprised if Yoko Kanno herself didn't show up at some point.

Space☆Dandy is set to air in January simultaneously in Japan and (at least) in the United States on Adult Swim. It's US airdate is January 4th. It will be 26 episodes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvrgMnPogKc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjUDxKdnsEQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT6y1f_mPSc

Zorak fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
This looks loving baller. :kamina:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
First Kill La Kill, and now this. It's like anime wants me to watch it again regularly, despite the lack of super robot shows. :allears:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Zorak posted:

Space☆Dandy is... a dandy guy in the space.
A small correction.

There's a music video from the show circulating around called "Viva Namida" by J-pop idol Yasuyuki Okamura, though it keeps getting pulled from YouTube so you'll have to look for it yourself.

EDIT: Found a link that's official, so it should be okay - http://www.jpopsuki.tv/video/Yasuyuki-Okamura---Viva-Namida/0878482d18f44604d63374839c6cacfd

Doodles fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 30, 2013

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Doodles posted:

A small correction.

Good point.

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post
Figures that Watanabe would be the one thing that would make me post in ADTRW again. I am all aboard the hype train for this, and I am getting everyone I know onboard. Even my friends who don't give a poo poo about anime have seen Cowboy Bebop or Champloo and are in turn excited for this thing. I'm ready to be dandy as gently caress.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

king of no pants posted:

Figures that Watanabe would be the one thing that would make me post in ADTRW again.
I hear that. Kill La Kill being the biggest show of the season was about to make give up on anime. Guy who made Cowboy loving Bebop is making a new thing? Sign me the gently caress up.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Is this actually going to be 26 episodes long? I know I've seen that number thrown out there, but then later I heard that might not actually be the case.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Takanago posted:

Is this actually going to be 26 episodes long? I know I've seen that number thrown out there, but then later I heard that might not actually be the case.

Last line of the OP

Zorak posted:

Space☆Dandy is set to air in January simultaneously in Japan and (at least) in the United States on Adult Swim. It's US airdate is midnight on January 4th. It will be 26 episodes long.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
That is what I am questioning.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Takanago posted:

Adult Swim funded more episodes IIRC

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Takanago posted:

That is what I am questioning.

Toonami / Adult Swim have been saying it's twenty six episodes. Dunno why they'd lie.

It's probably why there was a delay from Fall to Winter; presumably Madhouse and Cartoon Network both wanted more.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Looks like this is going to be the first anime I follow in five years. loving pumped.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Whoa, I was all pumped up for watching this yet I was completely unaware of the fact it would be airing on Adult Swim.

I'm going to have to actually watch Adult Swim again. What a weird feeling. :stare:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Volt Catfish posted:

Looks like this is going to be the first anime I follow in five years. loving pumped.

This and JoJo are pretty much the only anime I'm legit excited for.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The show was announced as 1-cour but Toonami leaked it having more episodes in their acquisition announcement. The second cour may air after a break and not immediately following the first.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Back the gently caress up, it's 26 episodes now? I was excited when it was 1 cour, but now I'm excited.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Broniki posted:

Back the gently caress up, it's 26 episodes now? I was excited when it was 1 cour, but now I'm excited.

Cartoon Network basically walked in and threw a lot of money into it for simulcast releases in english and an additional cour. God bless toonami.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

The hype train can't slow down for nothin'. The wait has been awful but this is gonna be sooo goooooodddddd

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

Zorak posted:

The producer has said that the narratives go pretty wild too, with basically anything being fair game so long as there's spaceships (apparently because he just likes spaceships).

Finally someone who knows what they're doing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Down for an entire show of Mushroom Samba, oh my yes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I saw the pedigree in that first paragraph and almost started frothing at the mouth.

Please let this be as amazing as the people working on it.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
Lets do this poo poo, I am ready.

Major kudos to Adult Swim for pulling a Big O and funding a second cour, even though this probably won't draw in Bleach or Naruto numbers (because people have no loving taste) I hope it pays off huge for them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I Watson posted:

Lets do this poo poo, I am ready.

Major kudos to Adult Swim for pulling a Big O and funding a second cour, even though this probably won't draw in Bleach or Naruto numbers (because people have no loving taste) I hope it pays off huge for them.

I dunno, man. This is a space show from the creator of Cowboy Bebop. You're underestimating how good Cowboy Bebop was for Adult Swim. It was a near-constant fixture on the channel for like 10 years.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Waffleman_ posted:

I dunno, man. This is a space show from the creator of Cowboy Bebop. You're underestimating how good Cowboy Bebop was for Adult Swim. It was a near-constant fixture on the channel for like 10 years.

Oh I want to believe. I just hope we can get some of the 'LOL MUNKY CHEEZU WAI ^-^;;;;' demo in for this.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjUDxKdnsEQ

Nashvillain
Jan 29, 2009

B.F. SKINNER GIVE ME STRENGTH

Zorak posted:

They often find themselves butting heads with Professor Gel, a sinister figure who pilots a spaceship made out of the Statue of Liberty's head.

Not just the Statue of Liberty's head, it's the Statue of Liberty's head wearing a ballgag. :v:

Watanabe's record is pretty much 100% excellent, so I'm expecting this to be pretty great, especially given what you've written about the music emphasis. I still listen to the Bebop and Champloo soundtracks. Here's hoping the rest of the songs are on the same level or greater than Viva Namida.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Man I really want to believe, but after the kind of disappointing so far performance of Imaishi with Kill la Kill and the AWFUL Kids on the Slope showing Watanabe made, I don't want to get too hype.

It does sound like the pieces are in place so far though.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
You're going to see that "Dandy" look at anime cons all over the damned place by no later than February. And I wouldn't be shocked if it was sooner.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Partially disappointed that Dandy does not look like Patrick Troughton. Will watch anyway.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

CaptainYesterday posted:

Partially disappointed that Dandy does not look like Patrick Troughton. Will watch anyway.

Troughton was the clown, the dandy was Pertwee.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

If this turns out bad I'll never watch another anime.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Rodyle posted:

Man I really want to believe, but after the kind of disappointing so far performance of Imaishi with Kill la Kill and the AWFUL Kids on the Slope showing Watanabe made, I don't want to get too hype.

It does sound like the pieces are in place so far though.

We must have watched two completely different shows.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I still can't wrap my head around this being literally Cowboy Bebop on shrooms.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Oh poo poo Jan 4? :wth: I was thinking this would be a late January/February thing since it seemed like [as] spoke too soon back when they announced this. That is awesome and I can't wait.

Also,

Rexides posted:

If this turns out bad I'll never watch another anime.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

poo poo, I'll be away from television during the premier. What are the odds on Toonami putting full episodes on Youtube?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised if Funimation had the show up on their website, either subbed or dubbed.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!

Rodyle posted:

The AWFUL Kids on the Slope .

'Awful' seems a strong word, but I certainly wasn't impressed with it either. I'm confident we're back on safe ground this time though.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone know if this is also streaming on CR? I swear I saw some announcement of that nature some time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

I still can't wrap my head around this being literally Cowboy Bebop on shrooms.

I'm pretty sure Cowboy Bebop was Cowboy Bebop on shrooms.

• Locked thread