Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I didn't dislike the first part but the second part was definitely much stronger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Asimo posted:

Yeah, I get the impression that Space Dandy is going to aggravate the hell out of a certain subset of spergy nerd who takes things way too seriously, and for that I can't help but love the show already.

Personal taste is a thing that exists! I enjoyed the stupid narration and setting stuff in the first part, and was too busy :allears:ing at the alien designs during the restaurant section to care too much about boob jokes one way or another. Others may not have cared for that! The whole "only idiots do / don't find this funny this" thing is a bit silly.

It's funny, the second part made it feel like a slightly more grounded Inferno Cop with better animation. And then Emperor Inferno Cop showed up.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 5, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I found the first half pretty amusing, if only for the fact that loving Hooters is a universal chain.

To me, Space Dandy is very evocative of The Fifth Element with how bizarre, silly, and stupid the universe is.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I'm not sure what to make of the 4th wall irreverence and the Breastaurants but if we get anything later on as breathtaking as the second half, then I'll watch these.

Absolutely loved all of the weird alien designs.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I honestly can't wait how they're going to justify the supernova and so far my favorite part is the narrator.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

A Bystander posted:

I honestly can't wait how they're going to justify the supernova and so far my favorite part is the narrator.

Well immediately before they warped in, they unraveled the fabric of space time. It could be that every episode they're arriving on a different planet as a result of that space time unraveling, and are going to die at the end of each one as well.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Zorak posted:

Personal taste is a thing that exists! I enjoyed the stupid narration and setting stuff in the first part, and was too busy :allears:ing at the alien designs during the restaurant section to care too much about boob jokes one way or another. Others may not have cared for that! The whole "only idiots do / don't find this funny this" thing is a bit silly.

It's funny, the second part made it feel like a slightly more grounded Inferno Cop with better animation. And then Emperor Inferno Cop showed up.
Haha, fair enough. Honestly as an older sort here what it reminded me a lot of was the early 90's OAVs you'd occasionally find on VHS back when even anime fans weren't quite used to the style. Certain parts were a little unnecessary, but the whole of it (especially the second half) had this sort of disjointed surreal pace while still making complete sense. It's kind of hard to explain.

If nothing else, it's very... unique so far. Haven't seen anything like this in ages.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Honestly, I dunno how well the first scene will play in Japan since it's basically one long homage to the Cantina in Mos Eisley. Was Star Wars ever a big thing in Japan?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yep. Honestly, I'm pretty sure Star Wars was a big thing everywhere that had electricity.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
Well that was pretty cool. I'm indifferent about the first half, but the second half definitely made up for it. I'm actually happy that I didn't bother watching the leaked first half since it would have discouraged me.

One thing's for sure, I'm going to try to watch the entire thing dubbed, really impressed with it here. But then again, Funi tends to do excellent work with comedy works.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

I think it was a combination of seeing most of the first half of the episode in promos and them trying too hard, but I found it unbearable but the second half more than made up for it and look forward to the explanation of screwing with reality and Dandy killing them all. Now to see it subbed.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Asimo posted:

the whole of it (especially the second half) had this sort of disjointed surreal pace while still making complete sense. It's kind of hard to explain.

If nothing else, it's very... unique so far. Haven't seen anything like this in ages.

I think what you're looking for is 90s as gently caress. It's like bizzaro world for anime. Reminds me of the first time I ever saw an episode of Outlaw Star or something like Megas XLR. It's silly, it's fun, and really really doesn't take itself too seriously. I don't care about the occasionally wonky animation, I don't care about the complete nonsense of a plot, I just don't care.

This is a show that doesn't make me laugh, it made me smile fairly consistently which is probably a harder thing to pull off. The Douglas-Adamsy feel is also good.

I got a bowl of cheetos, a can of Mnt Dew and my pants are most definitely missing. My body is ready for the rest of this show, because baby it's the late 90s/early 2000s all over again.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Status of Anime: Still not saved.

Kinda good episode though, mostly interested in seeing if they are going to do anything interesting with ripping space-time in half.

e: Also Meow is totally a space bunny :colbert:

Rexides fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 5, 2014

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Philip Rivers posted:

Honestly, I dunno how well the first scene will play in Japan since it's basically one long homage to the Cantina in Mos Eisley. Was Star Wars ever a big thing in Japan?

Star Wars kickstarted an entire generation of scifi anime, starting with the likes of Dirty Pair and Space Adventure Cobra.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Oh, that life
The first episode didn't set my world on fire, but that may be a function of the shows (and their first episodes) I was led to compare it to coming in (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, maybe Outlaw Star). Tough to judge where this thing is headed from that first episode.

First episode is up on adultswim.com. You'll have to sign in with your cable/satellite provider.

Ep 1: http://video.adultswim.com/space-dandy/live-with-the-flow-baby.html

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I'm the type who will still laugh at certain juvenile humor so I found the whole package Dandy gave in the first episode pretty good to hook me in for humor and action. The line "Where Zero G meets double D" in particular comes to mind. I am pleased with this dub, so I'm definitely going to tune in and watch it every week. I can't even remember the last time I watched anime on my actual TV that wasn't reairs of Bebop, it's kind of nostalgic.

My only actual complaint is the fact I'll miss out on the amazing OP every week due to them cutting it down. :911:

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
So, Wakanim has uploaded the episode to UK folk.

They managed to wrangle download-to-own rights for this. :catstare: The downside is that the dub and sub are separate purchases and each individual format (i.e. 720p and 1080p) are in turn separate purchases. And that All the Anime has promised to have the discs out this year. But still, I wouldn't have thought Funimation would allow downloads of their dub.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rexides posted:

Status of Anime: Still not saved.

Kinda good episode though, mostly interested in seeing if they are going to do anything interesting with ripping space-time in half.

e: Also Meow is totally a space bunny :colbert:

Meow is a proper space Cabbit :colbert:

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Is QT's Japanese voice auto-tuned the same way it was in the dub?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Steve Jorbs posted:

Is QT's Japanese voice auto-tuned the same way it was in the dub?

Nope

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The subbed version is up on Funimation's site now too! For those of us (like me) who have the lowest of low-tier cable.
http://www.funimation.com/shows/space-dandy/videos/anime

Not that their player seems to be working at the moment. For any video I try.

e:
Well it didn't work in Chrome, so far so good in IE.

e:e:

haha, Space Parfait

a kitten fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 5, 2014

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Delusibeta posted:

So, Wakanim has uploaded the episode to UK folk.

They managed to wrangle download-to-own rights for this. :catstare: The downside is that the dub and sub are separate purchases and each individual format (i.e. 720p and 1080p) are in turn separate purchases. And that All the Anime has promised to have the discs out this year. But still, I wouldn't have thought Funimation would allow downloads of their dub.

And it has the full OP & ED in Wakanim's stream. If this turns out good (Irrelevant space-opera with Looney Tunes Physics? Well, you have my attention at least...) I'll probably buy the DVDs rather than the videos from Wakanim if they're coming out quickly.

I'm about to watch it full in Sub to see if I prefer it from the Dub. The Dub just seemed a little flat at times, but it could just be the writing! Space-Not-Hooters can't really carry enough jokes. :shrug:

I rather liked the "There is a catastrophic war between two powerful empires, each struggling to take over the universe - but who gives a drat, back to the spaceship with a coconut tree in it" bit.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That ended a lot like the early episodes of Sealab 2021.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The second part of the episode was fantastic to look at, but the dub really does seem to drag it down sometimes. I need to give the sub a shot.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Hmmm... Neither Funimation or CN's sites are working for me. Let's see what they suggest in support...

"Please disable NoScript and all anti-tracking software, as well as HTTPS..."

NOPE.AVI

Thank God for BitTorrrent.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

araeris posted:

First episode is up on adultswim.com. You'll have to sign in with your cable/satellite provider.

Ep 1: http://video.adultswim.com/space-dandy/live-with-the-flow-baby.html

I didn't know this option existed. Thanks for fixing that!
I probably won't cancel my cable tv now.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Someone on my Twitter feed said that someone on the JP staff for the show said that the dub script changes supposedly ruin certain aspects of the show. Can anyone confirm any major differences in the two regions' versions?

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Having now seen the first ep in both sub and dub form, I like them about equally. I think the Japanese voices sound slightly better and the English script is just slightly funnier, so it's a tie.
Note that my Japanese language skills aren't good enough for my opinion to include the accuracy of either translation.

Portable Staplefrog fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 5, 2014

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
This felt like I was watching something out of an issue of Heavy Metal Magazine animated. Something about not just the art style, but the themes and characters. Very interesting.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I really enjoyed the episode as a whole, though the first part was immature, seeing Breasturants just makes me think that Earth is ruled by President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho and that makes it even greater in my opinion :allears:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Animation in the second half was very ... expensive-looking, I guess. Other than that the whole thing just feels so very mildly entertaining, that it's impossible to see how it will be anything other than a gigantic bankruptcy ticket for Bones.

I hope you guys are ready to buy BDs in droves, because Japanese commenters seem to hate it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

From this first episode, I absolutely plan to buy it. I absolutely do.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 5, 2014

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Rodyle posted:

I'm so happy my hopes that this would be Zapp Brannigan The Anime weren't let down :allears:

achillesforever6 posted:

Its like a combination of Zapp and Johnny bravo in space and I loved every minute of it :swoon:

Anyone who didn't immediately think that this was Zaphod Beeblebrox: The Anime get the gently caress out.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

darkgray posted:

Animation in the second half was very ... expensive-looking, I guess. Other than that the whole thing just feels so very mildly entertaining, that it's impossible to see how it will be anything other than a gigantic bankruptcy ticket for Bones.

I hope you guys are ready to buy BDs in droves, because Japanese commenters seem to hate it.

A Watanabe show being more popular in america than japan? Stop the loving presses

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Yes, this is probably going to be one of those infrequent cases where the bulk of a show's profit comes from the U.S. (or from foreign markets in general). After all, it's already known that Adult Swim is co-funding Space Dandy.

wielder fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 5, 2014

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Takoluka posted:

Someone on my Twitter feed said that someone on the JP staff for the show said that the dub script changes supposedly ruin certain aspects of the show. Can anyone confirm any major differences in the two regions' versions?
Whoever said this is an idiot, it's virtually identical. In addition, embellishments in dubs usually only serve to improve the writing because japanese writing is so loving dry. DL the sub for the proper OP and ED then never look back. Speaking of, the ED basically confirms what I immediately thought: they live again due to parallel universes.

Relin fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 5, 2014

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
The alleged tweets:

Apparently they have already been deleted.

Sakako
Dec 31, 2013
Watanabe is pretty freaking great as anime goes. I'm pretty pumped for watching this when I get back to a place that has proper internet.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
FYI if you have Hulu Plus you can watch the episode there instead of dealing with Funimation's lovely player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

OneStopShop posted:

The alleged tweets:

Apparently they have already been deleted.

Don't need to say alleged, the tweets happened. Bahi tweets a ton of insider stuff and deletes most of it immediately because he's a young dude living his dream, basically.

FWIW he also tweeted:

419913614200680448 (2014-01-05 19:29:41) - @braves133 No problem, I have to remove the tweet though, some people might not like this criticism lol. But I liked the voiceacting in both
419916626285592576 (2014-01-05 19:41:40) - @tondog @braves133 I enjoyed the dub too, the voice actors did a good job. I was only reffering to the english script.

• Locked thread