Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Oh, I don't want to miss out on the subtle character nuances of Space Dandy: A Dandy Guy in Space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its probably a missed pun, a real loss for us westerners.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

I'll be interested to see if they can mantain the animation quality until the end. With Adult Swim money they very well may be able to. Dandy's visual personality is a welcome change from the static poses and flappy mouths in most anime, I think the failed gun holster was my favourite part of the episode. The show definitely reminds me of 80s Cobra, which itself was stunningly directed and animated and had a similarly goofy (though ultra-competent) protagonist.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Broniki posted:

I'll be interested to see if they can mantain the animation quality until the end. With Adult Swim money they very well may be able to. Dandy's visual personality is a welcome change from the static poses and flappy mouths in most anime, I think the failed gun holster was my favourite part of the episode. The show definitely reminds me of 80s Cobra, which itself was stunningly directed and animated and had a similarly goofy (though ultra-competent) protagonist.

Don't expect the show to have consistent art direction. The entire point of this project is getting as many different people to contribute their own unique styles.

Yuasa's episode will probably look nuts, because well, Yuasa.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
He went into some details on his tumblr:
http://bahijd.tumblr.com/post/72366702059/so-as-someone-who-worked-on-the-show-i-would-like

I like the dub a lot and will continue watching it but I don't think kneejerk reactions downplaying the concerns of the production staff are necessarily the way to go. Especially stuff like:

Silentman0 posted:

Oh, I don't want to miss out on the subtle character nuances of Space Dandy: A Dandy Guy in Space.

which basically proves his point.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Now that he's specified what he's concerned about, I can understand. I didn't really like that part either, and he's acting pretty level-headed about it. I'm with him in hoping it was just a fluke.

Edit: In a worst-case scenario, it's something that could probably be easily redone for the actual home release, if Funi even bothers.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Xythar posted:

He went into some details on his tumblr:
http://bahijd.tumblr.com/post/72366702059/so-as-someone-who-worked-on-the-show-i-would-like

I like the dub a lot and will continue watching it but I don't think kneejerk reactions downplaying the concerns of the production staff are necessarily the way to go. Especially stuff like:

which basically proves his point.

I was just about to post this. I hope it was just a random one time fluke because that would've been way funnier to be honest.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I remember they used the "you're an rear end" piece in promos, but maybe someone in the network decided it was too offensive somehow.

I like the extra jokes in the dub like the "not-so-hot wings" bit, a nice slam against Hooters' reputation for lovely food.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Neeksy posted:

I remember they used the "you're an rear end" piece in promos, but maybe someone in the network decided it was too offensive somehow.

Do you remember which promo, or can you find it on YT or something? (I assume it was a Toonami commercial?)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Huh, in the funi sub he says "it starts with a "U"" and then she says "ujimushi?" (Note: ujimushi means 'worm'). The screenshot at that link works wayyy better and I kind of hope they retroactively change it.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Neeksy posted:

I like the extra jokes in the dub like the "not-so-hot wings" bit, a nice slam against Hooters' reputation for lovely food.

Yeah like Dandy's rear end monologue was way more fun in english

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Yeah like Dandy's rear end monologue was way more fun in english

"You can't trump the rump." I live when dubs do stuff like that.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Yeah I think the dub script is really strong overall so I hope they get the minor issues ironed out so I can watch it with no reservations.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Japanese Twitter response seems overwhelmingly positive, so maybe I've been too quick to judge. If they buy things, anyway.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Neeksy posted:

Don't most cable networks have a rule that you can't say "rear end in a top hat" uncensored on TV? (although I've seen them say "poo poo" uncensored on ATHF a couple times so I have no idea what the rules are anymore)

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

HorseRenoir posted:

Don't most cable networks have a rule that you can't say "rear end in a top hat" uncensored on TV? (although I've seen them say "poo poo" uncensored on ATHF a couple times so I have no idea what the rules are anymore)

It's changing, the FCC rules regarding cable have never really been too clear with that, and many networks are getting more freedom to do as they please as time goes on. But at the same time, many places will still self-censor because of fear of possible complaints or sometimes even something as dumb as a higher-up exec having a bug up their bum about it.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Just watched it. I thought the first half was...all right, but the second half was pretty darn entertaining. The animation is cool, and the dub seems solid to me too. I'm gonna catch it again next week (and hopefully the week after that, and so on).

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

I was wondering this when I watched the dub last night. The change they made really messes up a few things for me.

"Asteroid belt" is a terrible joke, so I can't imagine why they felt the need to change the original "worm" or "maggot" in the first place. "rear end" works just as well, which is what was in the preview sub.

More importantly, whether Honey says "asteroid belt" or "rear end" also tells us a lot about her character. One makes her sound like an airhead who works at a titty restaurant, the other one subverts the Hooter's waitress persona we're being represented with and makes for a potentially more interesting female character. Which we could use more of.

Hopefully they take less liberty with this in the future. There's my SERIOUS ANIME/FEMINISM rant.

ADullMin
May 3, 2013

by Ralp
I like all the aliens and how the designs are all over the place.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

roobots posted:

More importantly, whether Honey says "asteroid belt" or "rear end" also tells us a lot about her character. One makes her sound like an airhead who works at a titty restaurant, the other one subverts the Hooter's waitress persona we're being represented with and makes for a potentially more interesting female character. Which we could use more of.

I get what you're saying, but if her entire character relies on this one line, then they aren't doing a very good job.

Really, though, for me, it just comes back to the dub vs. sub debate. The English dub has to fit within a very narrow frame, which requires changing of wording and sometimes meaning of the dialog. With subs, there's more leeway to play around with, and they can even include little sidenotes to explain things that might not be apparent to non-Japanese speakers. But again, they'll have plenty of time to establish Honey as a legitimate character if that's what they intend to do.

Great Rumbler fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 6, 2014

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Takoluka posted:

Someone on my Twitter feed said that someone on the JP staff for the show said that the dub script changes supposedly ruin certain aspects of the show. Can anyone confirm any major differences in the two regions' versions?
I mentioned in the thread about the preview of the first 10 minutes that Dandy seemed like a mean-spirited rear end in a top hat. In comparison the dubbed Dandy is harmless and charming, like when he threatens to replace the robot they add a line about how he's joking.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Great Rumbler posted:

I get what you're saying, but if her entire character relies on this one line, then they aren't doing a very good job.

Really, though, for me, it just comes back to the dub vs. sub debate. The English dub has to fit within a very narrow frame, which requires changing of wording and sometimes meaning of the dialog. With subs, there's more leeway to play around with, and they can even include little sidenotes to explain things that might not be apparent to non-Japanese speakers. But again, they'll have plenty of time to establish Honey as a legitimate character if that's what they intend to do.

The show is such a big deal that I'm thinking the dub is in it for the long haul and is trying to play up how dumb she is to make the "reveal" more shocking.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

roobots posted:

"Asteroid belt" is a terrible joke, so I can't imagine why they felt the need to change the original "worm" or "maggot" in the first place. "rear end" works just as well, which is what was in the preview sub.

The preview sub was also not official, so it doesn't really have any bearing on what Funimation did.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

roobots posted:

"Asteroid belt" is a terrible joke, so I can't imagine why they felt the need to change the original "worm" or "maggot" in the first place.

Well, the most obvious reason is that worm/maggot don't begin with the same letter as "alien hunter" in English, which is why it needed to be changed to begin with. "rear end" is far better, though.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Xythar posted:

Well, the most obvious reason is that worm/maggot don't begin with the same letter as "alien hunter" in English, which is why it needed to be changed to begin with. "rear end" is far better, though.

rear end wouldn't have fit the mouthflaps though. rear end in a top hat could have, but it's one of those weird words that networks don't like.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Great Rumbler posted:

I don't know where you're getting that from. The character is barely in the first episode and only has a few lines. They managed to fit a little bit of characterization into that, and it got removed. It's supposed to be a hint at what's to come, not an whole character study crammed into 30 seconds.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

Great Rumbler posted:

Agreed, and by no means do I think the dub for the series is going to be some sort of revisionist poo poo show. I'll probably be keeping an eye on both the sub and dub to see if they keep making changes.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

The show is such a big deal that I'm thinking the dub is in it for the long haul and is trying to play up how dumb she is to make the "reveal" more shocking.

Hopefully this is their plan, because that'd actually make sense if handled well.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Magnus Condomus posted:

rear end wouldn't have fit the mouthflaps though. rear end in a top hat could have, but it's one of those weird words that networks don't like.

Last weeks toonami had a character call someone a shithead, probably not some suit having issues.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

The preview sub was also not official, so it doesn't really have any bearing on what Funimation did.
It also didn't have translator's notes, but let's not hold Funimation against the high standards of fansubbing. :rolleyes:

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

darealkooky posted:

Last weeks toonami had a character call someone a shithead, probably not some suit having issues.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-sutton/title-tales-weird-censors_1_b_85569.html

The words that can and cannot be used very widely between stations, execs, and the way the wend is blowing. Southpark has censored the word rear end in a top hat before.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

CHECK THIS OUT YOU WEEABOOS

i'm not sure why this guy likes donkey dicks so much. there was an :nws: pic here.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 6, 2014

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Yeah, this is what i'm guessing is going on as well.

There's really no way they'd change her entire character once she gets bigger roles in episodes just because they had to pick a different word that fits with worm in japanese.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
It's a shame, because a good joke like that would have really improved the scene.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I think it could have worked as is had she placed emphasis on the "rear end" part of asteroid (and also said something other than belt, like asteroid miner or something). Would also make more sense than straight up insulting him.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

aers posted:

Don't need to say alleged, the tweets happened. Bahi tweets a ton of insider stuff and deletes most of it immediately because he's a young dude living his dream, basically.

As a once-young dude living my animation dream who got caught doing this kind of stuff, he should probably keep his mouth shut more often unless he wants anime studios to quit sending him work.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

HorseRenoir posted:

Neeksy posted:

It's changing, the FCC rules regarding cable have never really been too clear with that, and many networks are getting more freedom to do as they please as time goes on. But at the same time, many places will still self-censor because of fear of possible complaints or sometimes even something as dumb as a higher-up exec having a bug up their bum about it.

There are no FCC rules governing language or indecency on cable. None. FCC rules for childrens' television advertisements do extend to cable, as well as general facility maintenance regulations, but that's it. Cable self polices based on a variety of scenarios. The biggest scenario is advertisers, but it can even be a network executive who is personally offended by something and doesn't want that something on his/her network. In the case of Adult Swim, their unique problem is the kids from Cartoon Network don't always turn their sets off when Adult Swim comes on. Good thing their internet livestreams are separated.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Maybe "asteroid belt" is that universe's equivalent insult for "rear end in a top hat".

Correct characterization AND worldbuilding in one line :haw:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
First half: lame jokes but some nice animation during the action scene.
Second half: Some funny visual gags and insane action scenes.

Hopefully the rest of the episodes focus on the visual aspect of the show because the writing was honestly pretty bad.
Love how dandy drops his gun when twirling it around.

EDIT: The adult swim version is better written but Dandy's Japanese voice is just better synced.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 6, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Is there a place to stream the dub of the show, or is it only on TV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

Is there a place to stream the dub of the show, or is it only on TV?

Considered that you may not be the first to wonder that? Considered looking through the thread first to check?

araeris posted:

First episode is up on adultswim.com. You'll have to sign in with your cable/satellite provider.

Ep 1: http://video.adultswim.com/space-dandy/live-with-the-flow-baby.html

• Locked thread