Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Drake_263 posted:

Quick question, what color should the asteroids/space rocks in Asellus Primus' rings (near Beagle 2) be?

'Cause this is how they look on my machine.

Kind of in shadow and "ring dust" here but this is how they look for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You could always do some courier work around a set of promising looking systems and noting down what each buys/sells.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

GazChap posted:

I also realised the primary trigger is two stage, so I've set the first stage to be "select target ahead" and the full stage to actually fire weapons, so that clears up an extra button.

My god, I forgot about that. :stare:

I bound my stage one to toggle weapon groups, I'm too used to button 4 being target ahead.

VVV 14 Herculis Ejeta station.

Remote User fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 11, 2014

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
What was the system with the great outfitting options that's been called out in here so often called again? Herculi something. I got a 33 LY per jump Hauler (that makes me hope they don't wipe so I can keep it around as a "get somewhere far away quick"-shuttle) and I wanna leave those starting systems behind.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Styx has been mentioned a few times, but that is within 10LY of Eranin, part of the starting systems.

Really hope Beta 3 or Beta 4 or Gamma 1 or whatever includes some group mechanics. It'd be cool to team up in our Hunting Eagles and be able to easily pop into the same instance locations and have eachother show up as friendlies on the radar.

Plus we could try to take on some of those infamous Pirate Anacondas. I think 3-4 Eagles could take em, they can't kill us all! :black101:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 11, 2014

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Pretty awesome system pics posted on reddit earlier today.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Follow supply chains. If makes logical sense and isn't that hard once you connect the dots.

Those trading tools were gimmicky training wheels and I'm glad they're dead. May it stay that way.
I'm not sure what you mean by supply chains, I tried putting together a circular route but again, the galaxy map is neither use nor loving ornament. I'd prefer the trading tools to stay gone but we really need some better in-game solutions. As far as I can figure out, if a good isn't one of the three listed in the system view's "prohibited" section the only way to find out it's illegal is to get fined, though I'd love to be proven wrong about that.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Did they do something to Anaconda AI in 2.05? I just killed 2 of them, one of them just spun around moving in a straight line and not shooting, and the other kinda did shoot a lot, but only started after I took down 30% of its hull.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Go into system view, look at a system, see what it produces, go to galaxy map, go to views, turn on trade routes and select that commodity, follow the arrows from that system to wherever they go, go into that system view, confirm that that station takes that good then go space trucking.

All the info you need is in game and viewable with in game tools unless I'm totally misunderstanding what you guys need.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Pilchenstein posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by supply chains...

Extraction systems feed refineries, refineries feed industrials, industrials feed high tech, etc. I might be fuzzy on the details, but I use the galactic map's "map" view with trade routes on to find small clusters of systems that have active trade--fat, bright rivers of commerce. Then I go to the individual systems in that cluster and make notes of who has what and who wants what. Then I make dolla dolla bills, y'all.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
My throttle will no longer go slower than 4m/s. I wonder what's up with that. Anyone else having that problem?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
X system is an extraction economy. What will it need?

Food, mining equipment, consumer goods.

What won't it need?

Metals, ores, factory equipment.

:ms:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Of course many systems are hybrid systems. There's a lot of extraction/Industry systems out there for example and they might want certain metals for their industry output and produce other metals from their extraction. For those you need to check the system view imported goods or just take a chance and check it out yourself.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Out of public request - more :words:

First Impressions - Eagle, The Mean Green Shootin' Machine

The Core Dynamics Eagle is, currently, the cheapest ship in the game (right after the free Sidewinder) and quite likely the first ship a new player will start saving up credits for. Priced at 16,000 credits, it's also quite affordable - most players will be able to afford the Eagle after an hour or two of playing with their starter Sidewinder. Frontier also has promised that all beta and Kickstarter backers will, on game launch, receive a free Eagle waiting in a secondary location for the game, likely making it perhaps the most common ship after the Sidewinder.

Appearance

The Eagle is.. minty fresh. That's the first thing that struck me when I loaded it up - the default paintjob on it is a pale minty green, rather like one of those slightly-faded cardboard air fresheners. Paintjob aside, the Eagle has a very sleek, deadly shape to it - rather like a futuristic, reverse-winged fighter jet, perhaps something like the evolution of a Grumman X-29. The dagger-like hull and forward-swept wings give the ship a distinctively, predatorily aggressive profile, reminiscent of a bird of prey with its wings spread wide - very sexy, especially compared to the Sidewinder's 'pizza slice with the tip bit off' shape. All in all I quite like how the ship looks - it certainly feels like a suitable reward for working your way out of the Sidewinder, along with an encouragement to keep working with your new toy.

Cockpit

Climbing into the cockpit, the contrast is pretty clear. Where the Sidewinder's cockpit is all rounded shapes covered in banged-up faux leather, the Eagle's single-seat cockpit is full of angled, geometric shapes. Everything is made out of shiny, brushed metal, laser-etched with the manufacturer's logo and padded with what looks like carbon fiber fabric pads. Very neat, very clean, you can basically smell that 'new car' factory smell. Compared to the Sidewinder's actually rather spacious cockpit, the Eagle feels sterile and just this side of cramped - it really doesn't look like there's any elbow room in there, let alone space for personal effects. Where the Sidewinder feels like a wannabe Commander's flying office, a home away from home, an Eagle has a professional, military feel to it - less of a mobile home and more of a tool for your work. (Although the position of the boarding ramp, when docked, seems to suggest that there's more crew space in the hull behind the cockpit - for all we know the Eagle could have a tiny little set of private quarters back there. As you can't leave the pilot seat at this point of the game, it's all speculation.)

Despite the relative compactness of the cockpit, the canopy gives the pilot a good and proper look at the outside world. The canopy struts are thin, minimal, and positioned so that they'll be in your way as little as possible. Although positioned near the very nose of the craft - again, like on a modern fighter jet - the shapes and slopes of the hull fall away at good angles, minimally hampering your field of view. Pretty much the only directions you cannot see are directly behind and below you - everything else is just a glance away, a vital feature for a high-agility combat ship. The relative narrowness of the minimally-sized cockpit also should serve to make the canopy glass somewhat less vulnerable to enemy fire.

Handling

I'll be honest, I was expecting something tiny and fast that'd handle like a coked-up spider monkey - actually, the Eagle is physically somewhat larger than the Sidewinder.. and nearly twice the mass. Fresh off the assembly line, an Eagle weights 84 tons, 4 of which is fuel. Actually handling the craft, however, feels very pleasant, very controllable - the Eagle responds to the joystick smoothly and perfectly, but not so fast that the pilot can't keep up with it. It goes exactly where you want it to go which, to be fair, is pretty much what you're looking for in a high-performance fighter. For a ship twice the size of a Sidewinder, the maneuver thrusters on the Eagle feel very, very beefy - you have a lot of power for sliding and hopping horizontally and vertically, something that lends itself well to maneuvering yourself in and out of firing arcs. At low speeds they might feel a bit too beefy, even - being more used to slower craft, I had to force myself to take things slow and careful when bringing my Eagle into dock.

Surprisingly, the Eagle's top speed is comparable with the Sidewinder's - at 2 pips of power to the thrusters, you cruise around at around 160-170 meters per second. Full engine power will take that up to about 220 meters per second, and firing your afterburners punches you into roughly 320 meters per second. Where the extra thruster power does show, however, is less your straight-line top speed and more getting there - the Eagle feels capable of much, much sharper acceleration, deceleration and full stop than the Sidewinder. Again, this is highly useful and desirable in combat situations, but slightly less so when you're carefully aligning yourself to the docking pad - the first time I was bringing myself to dock, I nearly ended up scraping myself off the flight control tower past the landing pad. Just a light touch of the throttle is enough to send you rocketing off at 20-30 meters per second, and a second brush the other way brings you to a near-instant full stop.

Long-range travel is, actually - well. A stock Eagle's frameshift drive can jump up to 8.47 LY in one go - that's almost a full light-year further than a Sidewinder - and with a full (2-ton) cargo bay, you go down to 8.26 LY per jump. That's consistently better than the Sidewinder, but not really by much. The frameshift drive is, honestly, one of the greatest (and most-lamented) constraints of the stock Eagle design - you can't go far in one jump, and you can't really circle around, either. The Eagle's fuel tank is twice as large as the Sidewinder but, with roughly twice the mass, comes with a larger and more fuel-hungry frameshift drive - a single tank will get you roughly six max-range jumps in one go, much like the Sidewinder. Each of those jumps will carry you a little bit further, but you can't really go exploring with this craft. (As a note, a full tank of fuel for the Eagle will fetch about 200 credits at a station, roughly twice that of a Sidewinder). Upgrading your frameshift drive probably should be one of your first priorities in the Eagle.

Hardpoints

Reflecting a distinct focus on combat over the Sidewinder's jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none philosophy, the Eagle comes with three small hardpoints over the Sidewinder's two. I expected to find the guns mounted on the wingtips, but instead, one of the guns sits atop the Eagle's central hull - and the other two directly underneath it, positioned right next to one another on the vessel's underbelly. When it comes to field of fire, they seem positioned well - the long nose of the craft makes it perhaps a little bit awkward to get the bottom guns to traverse high or vice versa, much like the chin guns on the Cobra, but at least you have guns on both sides of the ship.

For utility slots, the Eagle only has one - the outfitting interface, for some reason, won't show the exact location of the mount. I think it's located somewhere near the rear of the ship, likely on the underside of the ship's aft. (Line-of-fire-wise, this position would let a point defense weapon take out missiles from the rear and underside of the ship, but leave your top and front angles uncovered). Either way, a single utility slot forces you to consider your loadout carefully - the Eagle is a highly specialized ship and there's very little space for excess.

Fitting

By default, the Eagle comes with two loaner pulse lasers - exactly like the Sidewinder. Oddly enough, these are placed asymmetrically - one in the central top mount, the other in the port underbelly hardpoint. While this does mean you have about equal coverage above and below the ship, it does make it somewhat awkward to fit both (fixed) weapons onto the target, particularly at close ranges. The waist guns are positioned right next to each other, giving them a neat pinpoint convergence, while the topside mount has a good line of sight all around the top of your ship, suitable even for a turreted weapon.

Paired with the innate maneuverability of the craft, I see the Eagle as a very capable light fighter - three light weapon mounts allow for more variety than the Sidewinder and should let you absolutely savage most types of lighter craft. Personally I recommend a triple light weapon of your chosen flavor - the Eagle is definitely agile enough to keep direct-fire weapons trained on your target, but gimbaled guns should work equally well, if you're not confident of your aim. When intent on hunting larger targets, it might not be a bad idea to replace the dorsal gun with something punchier, like a railgun or a missile rack.

Now, that one utility mount is a little bit harder decision. What you want to fit there really depends on what you want to do with the Eagle - the Eagle is a very, very focused design, and what you carry in the utility mount should reflect that. If you intend to be stealthy or carry plenty of power-hungry, heat-intensive weapons - lasers and railguns in particular - you should go for a heat sink launcher. If you intend to tussle with ships carrying missiles, a point defense turret will keep your ride in one piece longer. Alternatively, if you know you'll be facing plenty of turreted and/or gimbaled weapons, a chaff launcher will mess their auto-targeting for you. A player more oriented towards the less-than-legal aspects of life should probably consider a cargo scanner, and a bounty hunter might want to try out a kill warrant scanner - while keeping in mind that while both options add utility, they don't directly increase your survivability as the other options. You have one choice, use it well.

Now, besides your hardpoints and utility mounts, the Eagle comes with three internal bays - one class 3, one class 2, and one class 1. These are, respectively, filled with a class 3 shield generator, a class 1 (2-ton) cargo rack, and a class 1 basic discovery scanner. As the Eagle clocks in at learly a hundred tons, it needs the class-3 shield generator to survive. The discovery scanner is standard equipment on pretty much all ships.

The cargo rack, honestly, feels kind of an afterthought - tossed on there 'just in case'. You COULD upgrade it to a 4-ton rack for light piracy or whatever, but let's face it - the Eagle is a dedicated combat ship. You didn't buy it for carrying stuff around, you bought it to shoot people in. It does that very, very well, and there's no sense in diluting its purpose by trying to make it into a cargo runner - if you8 want to make money flying between stars, pick up courier missions, those don't NEED a cargo rack. Instead, those two extra slots - class 1 and class 2 - can hold all sorts of other useful equipment, like shield cell banks and field repair systems to increase your longevity. The only thing more infuriating than shooting at a slippery Eagle pilot is shooting at a slippery Eagle pilot and watching him instantly regenerate his almost-downed shields, or bring his damaged guns back online.

However, the different options come with a downside - the Eagle is very, very choked for energy. Despite being larger than the Sidewinder - and supporting a more powerful thruster and shield array - the Eagle's reactor is actually slightly less powerful than the Sidewinder's. 94% of its power output is already in use, the vast majority of which are taken by the absolutely vital thruster array and shields. Unless you upgrade the Eagle's reactor from the get-go, you'll be forced to get 'creative' with your power settings. Certainly fitting anything energy-hungry into that third slot is right out. This is the stock Eagle's greatest flaw, beside its somewhat underpowered frameshift drive - unless you luck out and find an advanced class-3 reactor, it's going to take you a while before you can actually use the ship to its full potential. The underpowered reactor also has a hard time keeping the craft heat-neutral, forcing you to constantly watch your core temperature levels. (Mounting a heat sink launcher is a relatively cost-effective way of allaying this, as long as you keep an eye on your sink stocks.)

Pleasantly enough, most basic-level upgrades for the Eagle are fairly cheap - as the Eagle is restricted to equipment classes 1 through 3, the vast majority being class 2, most upgrades will only fetch something on the order of 10-20,000 credits - entirely sheathing the Eagle in military composite armor in fact will only fetch you about 50,000 credits, with the intermediate armor upgrade being considerably cheaper. This will still multiply the price of the fighter, but once you actually are in the Eagle, you can easily make the cost of an upgrade or two per excursion into bounty hunting or warzone or whatever. Just don't get too crazy, lest you find yourself in a configuration with 16K in hull cost and several millions in upgrades. Never fly what you can't afford to lose!

Combat

Now THIS is more like it. Combat in an Eagle is very, very fun. Despite being larger than the Sidewinder, the beefed-up thruster array on the Eagle makes it very responsive - zipping and zooming and spinning between other ships and asteroids feels easy and natural. While your top speed is only slightly higher than the Sidewinder's, your superior straight-line acceleration and maneuverability means you can pretty much choose your target and stick to his six, no matter what kind of wizardry he pulls - well, anyone not in another Eagle or a Viper. The stock loadout with twin pulse lasers is sufficient for hunting small craft - they struggle a little against a Cobra, but with a bit of patience, tenacity and luck you can actually down those as well. I found the Eagle's turn radius stay appreciably tight almost up to the maximum throttle - it widens noticeably should you choose to boost, but that's honestly to be expected. (As a sidenote, the engine cell seems to regenerate faster than on the Sidewinder - firing a boost will still consume almost all your engine reserve power, but it'll only take a few seconds for you to be able to boost again).

My first spin around the resource collection sites of I Bootis only came to an end when I made the mistake of pouncing a Cobra with dual turreted beam lasers - and a pair of railguns. Unlike my earlier ill-fated run with a Sidewinder, however, my Eagle survived the onslaught - with a damaged pulse laser and roughly 70% hull, admittedly, but survived. Lesson learned: the Eagle is more nimble (and certainly tougher) than the Sidewinder, but you still need to be careful about the fights you do choose to pick.

After repairing my ship, I decided to upgrade it a little bit - I happened to find an improved power generator for sale, along with an upgraded frameshift drive. After fitting those, mil-speccing the armor and mounting three gimbaled overcharged multi-cannons, I dove back into the seedy underbelly of I Bootis' Resource Extraction Sites. Despite the added weight, the ship still handled very, very well, allowing me to absolutely maul my chosen targets - the arc where both the top and underside guns' line of fire overlaps is relatively narrow, but anything that actually gets caught in it is most definitely going to feel it. Three OC burst cannons make even a Cobra sit up and take notice, while anything smaller is going to get absolutely mauled by the hail of ordinance.

Putting it all together

The Eagle is a very cheap, highly specialized agility fighter, hampered only by the stock configuration's low-range frameshift drive and low-rate power generator. Fast, nimble and deadly, it's a very fun, intense ship to pilot that will likely find a place of honor in many a up-and-coming commander's hangar. Get this ship, try it out, have fun with it. Just remember to upgrade the FSD and power plant - Styx and 14 Herculis both have stations that tend to carry equipment suitable for the Eagle.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Is exploration bugged for anyone else today? It's not registering discovered objects, it'll say "x object discovered" but they don't show up in the console and if you're within automatic discovery range of something, it'll just spam the notifications with "1 new object discovered". Also I can't get universal cartographics to open at all, it just gives me an error about the webserver. :smith:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
According to ~*~the lore~*~ the Eagle does have a small cabin back there.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Pilchenstein posted:

Is exploration bugged for anyone else today? It's not registering discovered objects, it'll say "x object discovered" but they don't show up in the console and if you're within automatic discovery range of something, it'll just spam the notifications with "1 new object discovered". Also I can't get universal cartographics to open at all, it just gives me an error about the webserver. :smith:

Universal Cartographics is completely hosed right now. It hasn't worked for a few days. Exploration is hosed, as well. I just hope that, when UC comes back up, everyone keeps all the astro data they've been stockpiling. Gonna be a fat payday for a whole bunch of commanders at once.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone else having the game just freeze up every once a while, requiring to ALT-TAB out and kill it in task manager?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

According to ~*~the lore~*~ the Eagle does have a small cabin back there.

That'd do it!

Also something I forgot to mention, the Eagle's engine sounds funny. It's this quiet, low, near-unnoticeable drone, right until you hit the gas - when 'idling' it's almost silent, but when you're accelerating or decelerating hard, you get a high-pitched pulsing fluttering howl/scream that kind of reminds me of the TIE Fighter from Star Wars. Very distinctive, and seems to fit the ship.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
So I've spent a few hours running an office out of the back of increasingly large ships, I've managed to scrape together enough cash for a Cobra and some reasonable fittings (stock shields, but upgraded everything else paying special attention to the reactor and energy management systems) with enough cash left over to rebuy a decent ride.

What are some neat start-wards systems to try out the combat? I've got a warrant scanner but sitting just outside of weapon restriction range near Chango sounds stupid. Are there flashpoint areas? Mining regions? All the combat missions seem to have disappeared on me.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Nullkigan posted:

So I've spent a few hours running an office out of the back of increasingly large ships, I've managed to scrape together enough cash for a Cobra and some reasonable fittings (stock shields, but upgraded everything else paying special attention to the reactor and energy management systems) with enough cash left over to rebuy a decent ride.

What are some neat start-wards systems to try out the combat? I've got a warrant scanner but sitting just outside of weapon restriction range near Chango sounds stupid. Are there flashpoint areas? Mining regions? All the combat missions seem to have disappeared on me.

Ring planets usually have resource extraction sites that're frequented by miner sips - and NPC pirates preying on them. Asellus Primus has several RE sites rght next to BEagle 2 Landing, and LP 98-132 or whatever has several next to Freeport. Several systems also have 'battleground' conflict zones, like Eranin near Azeban and I Bootis near Dustball. These come in two flavors, high- and low-intensity - low-intensity zones spawn slightly less powerful ships at a slower rate, while high-intensity opens can and will murder you if you're not careful. (In conflict zones, you go into the right-hand control panel and choose your faction from the Functions menu - do this AFTER ships have spawned in and have started shooting at each other, or half the NPC ships on the map will see you as the only enemy when they jump in and alpha the gently caress out of you).

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Nullkigan posted:

Every system has a nav beacon near the primary star, it's a constant stream of NPCs coming into system and a great place to bounty farm.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Pound_Coin posted:

Every system has a nav beacon near the primary star, it's a constant stream of NPCs coming into system and a great place to bounty farm.

Which honestly kind of bothers me from a... I don't know perspective. What's the point of the Nav Beacon and Unidentified Signal Sources, why would people just be out in the middle of deep space for god knows what reason?

What I'm trying to say, I wish the mechanisms for finding and interacting with other ships were a bit more fleshed out. Make a reason for Nav points to exist; e.g. not immediately dropping out of hyperspace into supercruise, but onto a nav beacon, (not that that is necessarily a good idea, just something). Make Unidentified Signal Sources more interesting (the only one that makes sense is the cargo trap, which is pretty cool), let me find derelict ships or wreckages, or even better a ship graveyard from some past battle, let me see random probes flying through space, let me find a hidden pirate outpost etc.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Nullkigan posted:

Scanners do not trigger the no fire zone fines. At lest, they never have for me so far. Just in case I have always put my scanners on a separate "No weapons" grouping to toggle to.... And now I realize your point is that you do not want to get blown up by the station chasing people who are wanted in another jurisdiction, where shooting them at Chango would get you a bounty :downs: Still fun to watch NPCs or the occasional player panic if you start cargo scanning them at a black market station though.

Though I have yet to get any "Cargo scan the AI ship right as they are entering the dock, watch it promptly kill itself panic overthrusting into the station" result since beta 1.

Nthing the Nav point suggestion. Nav points will not usually show up on your navigation list until you are relatively close to the sun, but that's where hyperspace spits you out anyways.

EDIT: vvv That reminds me, when I get wanted in Eranin for dumb AI ship reasons I have been going to Eranin 4 survey to pay off my fines. There are a LOT of stations the system map say are one Alliegiance, but are actually something else. Eranin 4 Survey is a Federation station according to it's contact info, for example. While the system map view says "Every single one of these are independent". I know it's faster to just jump to another system than supercruise out to Eranin 4 survey, but I just like the idea of not even bothering to flee the system I'm wanted in to pay off my bills.

I forget what other system had a platform real close to it's navpoint, but I could not cash in my vouchers because OOPS, this isn't REALLY a station of the local jurisdiction.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 12, 2014

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Eagle pro-tip: The default power generator can handle 3 pulse lasers if they're the low-heat subtype. You'll probably only be able to find the gimballed version, but that's still 3 gimballed pulse lasers without going over the energy budget.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Also, I don't know what made me think of this but outposts do in fact also have guns, despite not being able to see any...

Not really sure the intent and what Braben was eluding to when they were talking about outposts and hinting at being able to shoot at ships docked on an outpost (you can't, I tried and they just have infinite shields it looks like).

I dunno if I just got lucky but they at least aren't as much of a death sentence as station guns, could be because the outposts are not symmetrical so they have less guns facing you or they are just weaker or both, but it's still unadvisable to open fire in proximity of them, barely got away.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I don't believe all systems have Nav beacons.

Sure, a lot of them near the starting system do, as do most Federation systems, but I've seen plenty with nothing at all when you jump in.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

What they could do with nav beacons is make them alternate arrival points. Let the player choose any Star in the system (drops you at that star, in FSD) and any Nav Beacons (drops you at the Nav Beacon, not in FSD). That'd be a good way to differentiate the backwaters from the established systems too. A recently colonized system isn't going to have Nav Beacons set up at their primary market yet.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
When people are saying to get out of the starting systems to trade, how far out are we talking? I'm about 20 lightyears away from Eranin now and the galaxy map is still outright lying to me about what can and can't be traded; it says export fish, animal meat and grain and all the station has is algae. Do I need to be right down the other end of the pill or something?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Crow posted:

What I'm trying to say, I wish the mechanisms for finding and interacting with other ships were a bit more fleshed out.

The mechanism for finding and interacting with people is targetting them in supercruise and killing their supercruise. Of course, currently only NPCs can do that, so we get unidentified signals and hordes of npcs at nav beacons?

That's my guess anyway.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Drake_263 posted:

That'd do it!

Also something I forgot to mention, the Eagle's engine sounds funny. It's this quiet, low, near-unnoticeable drone, right until you hit the gas - when 'idling' it's almost silent, but when you're accelerating or decelerating hard, you get a high-pitched pulsing fluttering howl/scream that kind of reminds me of the TIE Fighter from Star Wars. Very distinctive, and seems to fit the ship.

Yeah, the engine on the Eagle is like a space Ferrari, you slap it to full throttle and it almost sounds happy to be going full speed. I know i've said this before but the sound design in this game is loving amazing.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

DatonKallandor posted:

What they could do with nav beacons is make them alternate arrival points. Let the player choose any Star in the system (drops you at that star, in FSD) and any Nav Beacons (drops you at the Nav Beacon, not in FSD). That'd be a good way to differentiate the backwaters from the established systems too. A recently colonized system isn't going to have Nav Beacons set up at their primary market yet.

This would actually be really cool, currently they don't have them near stations do they?

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

gently caress everything.

Was in Eranin, picked up two bounties totaling 60k+ on the same NPC, Mistral which I know to be a master skilled eagle that I can murder.

Went and found him, killed him without even losing shields, with his last move before deathspin he rams me and kills me. I had about 20k in bounties before finding him too.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Do not use docking computers at outposts.

Wanted to see how it would do, positioned me over the pad doing it's little jitter around. Ok not to bad so far. Angle itself so I'm directly above the pad, facing it and does a slow approach. Ok, I've seen stranger things. Drops landing gear. Thinking everything good and it's probably fine. Soon as I start to look at my phone the AI immediately hits the pedal to the floor and flies straight into the docking pad, doesn't even try to change course and flip so landing gear go first, just cockpit meeting pavement. Immediately lost all my shields and start losing hull as it keeps pounding the docking bay as if trying to burrow inside of it. Barely quit out to menu.

loving psychopathic AI.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Ugh. Getting the "infinite loading screen" hang again. I can log in, I can select a play option, but then its infinite spinning sidewinder/cobra loading screen and the game doesn't come up. FML. :sigh:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

darth cookie posted:

Ugh. Getting the "infinite loading screen" hang again. I can log in, I can select a play option, but then its infinite spinning sidewinder/cobra loading screen and the game doesn't come up. FML. :sigh:

Same, must be a server side thing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I just crashed when making a hyperspace jump, maybe its related? This game is tempermental for me, sometimes it crashes a minute or so into play, sometimes I can play allll night. :shrug:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Mr. Crow posted:

Also, I don't know what made me think of this but outposts do in fact also have guns, despite not being able to see any...
The outposts I visited have turret emplacements placed at a short distance from the station itself.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

radintorov posted:

The outposts I visited have turret emplacements placed at a short distance from the station itself.

There's usually a juicy hauler floating around the station as well just to taunt you. I saw one, scanned it, found it "wanted" and then went all :black101: on it.

Then the outpost tore me a new rear end in a top hat because I did it in the no fire zone. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Drake_263 posted:

That'd do it!

Another bit of neat Eagle trivia, do not go into an inverted loop with the cockpit on the outside of the turn @ full boost, you will overload the inertial dampers and black out. I have done this while trying to dodge a pair of cobras in a resource extraction zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=harotuNySbI

This video was done in premium beta, and didn't have upgraded thrusters, I had the ones that were rated at double my ship's mass, so I shot immediately to full speed and blacked out.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 12, 2014

• Locked thread