Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Sound direction in this game sounds phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

Alehkhs posted:

Here's some fun hide-and-seek footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvl7uaR1sfI

After surviving the scenarios I thought I was decent enough to try some stuff online, guess loving not!

Going to go back to school and figure out the flight assist off and the awesome asteroid floating.

Also, would't play this game if it didn't support TrackIR, just adds such a great immersion level to dog fighting being able to move your head around it becomes so second nature after awhile. I end up only glancing at my radar when I lose a contact briefly. Then a capitol ship nukes me...

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Bitter Beard posted:

Going to go back to school and figure out the flight assist off and the awesome asteroid floating.

I've tried and it annoys me immensely that 'flight assist off' also disables rotation damping, which makes it way harder than it could otherwise be.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

tooterfish posted:

What time zone are you? I think the population massively leans towards Europe at the moment, might explain why you're not seeing many peeps.

I've never seen anyone else on during the evenings in California, but if I jump online before I leave for work (and risk getting grief from the wife) then I've seen a couple of other players stuttering around.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

illectro posted:

I've tried and it annoys me immensely that 'flight assist off' also disables rotation damping, which makes it way harder than it could otherwise be.

After some practice I'm doing okay with flight assist off, still figuring out the best key/mouse and pedals configuration.

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
Alpha release 2.2 is now live, here is the change log:

Additions/Changes

- Pilot's chair and pilot added to cockpit
- Damage to shields is scaled based on the power distribution, now defined by the shield generator item.
- OPtion to turn off shadows added.
- Updated fire damage FX.
- "You died" is now "You were killed by [CMDR name]"
- Anaconda material tweaks.
- Weapons balance tweaks.
- Added small dot to center of targeting reticles.
- Added option for logarithmic or linear scanner scaling.
- [audio] latest soundbanks - numerous fixes and mix tweaks.
- Art pass on lens flares
- Pass on class 4 A drive lens flare and lighting
- Add UI messages for cargo scoop actions
- Loading screen movie replaced with model (not final)
- Updated options - players will need to resave their options!
- Thinned targeting brackets

Crash Fixes

- Crash fix: multiplayer joining another player would cause that player to crash immediately and the new player to crash shortly after.
- Audio: Fixed crash in AudioSourceBlendRTPC when the ship is destroyed
- Help debug and recover with out crashing from using the results of a raycast that contains invalid physics objects and shapes.
- Speculative crash fix for moon.
- Fix for crashes with multiplayerand guided missiles
- Fix AudioManager hang on shut down
- Fix for crash caused by failed loads on texture resources (seen on some low end Nvidia cards)
- Authority of multiplayer scenarios leaving while other players are able to take the authority will no longer cause the remaining players to crash.
- Fix crash exiting Endless War
- Fix crash for invalid factions in Endless War
- Fix zero length vector crash when loading new scenario
- Fix for crash when second capital ship created (don't create it)
- AMD crash fix worjaround no longer needed

General Fixes

- Sparks appearing on cockpit creation fixed.
- Audio: fix assorted aspects of cargo scanner, pulse laser, rail gun, gatling gun and submunition audio.
- Added improvements and lighting to damage effects and rolling out to all ships
- Fix for DamageParticleActivity destructor assert.
- Encourage the window to go full screen as soon as we can when creating the display. Prevents a window from appearing immediately before going fullscreen.
- Fix for VFXes in FireParticleActivity.
- Fixes and performance improvements in noise generators.
- Don't include the machine name in the upnp port description: we don't need it, and it sometimes causes trouble
- Hide the desired speed indicator when flight assist is turned off.
- Updated effects used for hull damage
- Make the restored game window appear on the monitor specified in options.
- Negative indent on the message to make blocks of text easier to read.
- Impact fires don't happen on every hit, now a 0.15 chance (the pyromaniac inside me is sad )
- Added separate path, for when you are disconnected from the server, that allows the game to unload while the dialog remains on screen. This prevents you getting

killed while view the dialog and the game trying to move you into the player has died state.
- Adjustments to the radar-highlighting of things firing at player
- Automatically time out and repoll for a different server if not connected
- Updated new heavy damage FX and added it to the various prototype files.
- Right of retaliation now implemented.If attacked, the victim can legally attack and kill the aggressor, but won't collect bounty unless scanned.
- Increased the min value of the velocity overrides as a temporary fix for the drives having strange velocity alignment behaviour
- Add the collidable flag to cargo canisters so they'll collide with things that aren't ships (asteroids specifically).
- Reduce aim assist effect at longer ranges
- Added distance scaling to the pulse and rail gun impact FX
- Network replication fixes for core system, following up with specific gameplay instances
- Stats updated after scenario end rather than shut down.
- Prevent missile lock audio looping
- Optimise network replication
- Replicating variable length variables is now guaranteed to give the correct variable value.
- Fix authority conflict slowing down return to menu
- Fix for joining a multiplayer game dupe-spawning the scenario ships for multiplayer factions.
- Fix multiplayer-join dupe-spawning on free for all.
- Fix for multiplayer-join dupe-spawn for ethics.
- Fix for wrong background when player is not the authority
- Occulus shadows fixed
- Occulus targetting reticule renders at appropriate distance

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
And 'Bitter Beard' has been nice enough to reserve a IRC channel for us Elite goons to hang out in.

Channel name is: #EliteDangerous

and it's on: synirc.net

Here's link to a IRC webinterface for the lazy: http://cgiirc.synirc.net/

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
PC Gamer just posted a impressions video of E:D with Oculus Rift:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z62HzhyFb4

They seem to like it quite alot!

Bloody Wanker fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 25, 2014

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
Some guy has made a pretty good tutorial showing how to do advanced manouvers by turning on/off the Flight Assist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0SEEd_Law4

E:D will also be playable with Oculus Rift/Track IR at this years BAFTA Games Showcase:

http://www.bafta.org/games/awards/inside-games-baftas-first-ever-showcase-event,4091,BA.html

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Bloody Wanker posted:

PC Gamer just posted a impressions video of E:D with Oculus Rift:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z62HzhyFb4

They seem to like it quite alot!

gently caress, this seems really cool.

I can't wait to get a rift and buy a copy of Elite to go with it, I've always had dreams of exploring space and this will probably be the closest I'll get to doing that. :)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Kinda funny how they showed nearly no actual gameplay of the rift. :v:

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
The rift implementation is so broken they might as well have not bothered putting it in.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm actually very thankful that their March (?) release date has slipped significantly. I don't mind waiting another year for ED, so long as it's as close to perfect as possible.

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008

Banano posted:

The rift implementation is so broken they might as well have not bothered putting it in.

ummm... no, it's not.

If you're having problems it's probably because something is not setup the right way. Check the forums for info on how to fix it.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Yeah, that was supposed to go in the star citizen thread :downs:

Banano fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 28, 2014

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
A new picture just got released which shows the inside of a space-station and what's to come in the next update:

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
That's a big step up from the old games, it used to feel like you were flying into an empty VHS cover.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Bloody Wanker posted:

A new picture just got released which shows the inside of a space-station and what's to come in the next update:

That looks like box art from Privateer, give or take a couple million pixels.

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
Elite Oddity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJA_8BnvHTA

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Visidan posted:

That's a big step up from the old games, it used to feel like you were flying into an empty VHS cover.

That's the most hilarious analogy I've heard in a while, absolutely spot on.

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
Another nice fan-made video made out of footage from the Alpha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5KdLhGweJ8

I have no idea how people manage these nice looking videos without any cinematic tools.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Daimo posted:

That's the most hilarious analogy I've heard in a while, absolutely spot on.

For me, it was more like flying into the afterlife. (I crashed a lot.)

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Bloody Wanker posted:

Another nice fan-made video made out of footage from the Alpha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5KdLhGweJ8

I have no idea how people manage these nice looking videos without any cinematic tools.

Pretty cool video. Those laser beams are making me happy. Most games have the whole "laser is a normal bullet except shiny green!" thing going on and it got old last decade.

Also stop posting tubes you're not making waiting this game any easier :qq:

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
Joystiq hands-on with the Alpha:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/03/05/hands-on-with-the-elite-dangerous-alpha/

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
New newsletter is out!

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=f9f6f99d01

Mostly info about docking mechanics, and what the upcoming Alpha 3.0 update will include.

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
A sneak peek of the cockpit of the Cobra:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Good gods that looks beautiful.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Bloody Wanker posted:

A sneak peek of the cockpit of the Cobra:

Looks quite spacious and comfortable. Not sure I like whatever that thing between the legs on the seat is. Is that part of a restraint system? It seems stowed on the seat on our left and deployed on the one on the right.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

It almost looks like some sort of small control or display interface.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Visidan posted:

I vaguely remember Frontier having Duran Duran posters (just the band name, no pictures) inside hangars when you docked, or am I misremembering horribly? It's been about 20 years so . . .

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

CitrusFrog posted:

It almost looks like some sort of small control or display interface.

Looks like one of those separate throttle controls with a bunch of buttons on them.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Didn't you sit in some sort of all encompassing dream chair in frontier?

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I think the 'story' explanation for time acceleration in the game was that drugs were being injected into your system causing you to go into a dreamlike state where it seemed like weeks were passing in a minutes. That's about all I remember, though. First Encounters shipped with some short stories that fleshed out the Elite universe a bit, and I think it may have been mentioned in one of them.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Yeah in Frontier you were in an inertia-dampening memory-gel couch/bed hooked up to the time dilation chemical equipment.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

Hot Sexy Jupiter posted:

I vaguely remember Frontier having Duran Duran posters (just the band name, no pictures) inside hangars when you docked, or am I misremembering horribly? It's been about 20 years so . . .

Are you sure it was the band? Duran Duran is the bad guy in Barbarella.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I guess that could have been the reference, and probably makes more sense in retrospect given the sci-fi theme, but I was like 13 when I played Frontier and Duran Duran were still somewhat current in the early 90's, so I guess I naturally associated it with them. I don't think I even knew about Barbarella until I was quite a bit older.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Hot Sexy Jupiter posted:

I think the 'story' explanation for time acceleration in the game was that drugs were being injected into your system causing you to go into a dreamlike state where it seemed like weeks were passing in a minutes. That's about all I remember, though. First Encounters shipped with some short stories that fleshed out the Elite universe a bit, and I think it may have been mentioned in one of them.

I have an original Frontier box set right here (1993 PC version, now if I still had a working 3 1/2" inch floppy...) so allow me to type you the relevant chunk of manual:

Using the Stardreamer Time Control
This can be used with the Robocruise or in Manual flight. Use the Time Control icons (after targeting your destination if using the Robocruise) to select the rate of time acceleration. Time appears to increas in steps of ten from ten times to ten thousand times, depending on the icon selected. Return to real time by selecting the single arrow.

Sit back and a combination of Zilman field and ultrasonic waves induce a semi-hypnotic state which renders you unaware of the passage of time other than seeing the range indicator change rapidly in front of you. This effect was discovered by Dr Rabbne by accident when he realised why his projects were running over time for no apparent reason. Reassuringly, if your ship is attacked or hailed or you have arrived at your destination, the Stardreamer will restore you to ful consiousness and real time. Don't forget that your enemies may be operating in real time and hence will seem to be sped up enormously.

Actually, I wonder if there's a functional floppy drive at work somewhere. That's if the disk is still ok after 20 years.

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008

Ratzap posted:

I have an original Frontier box set right here (1993 PC version, now if I still had a working 3 1/2" inch floppy...) so allow me to type you the relevant chunk of manual:

Using the Stardreamer Time Control
This can be used with the Robocruise or in Manual flight. Use the Time Control icons (after targeting your destination if using the Robocruise) to select the rate of time acceleration. Time appears to increas in steps of ten from ten times to ten thousand times, depending on the icon selected. Return to real time by selecting the single arrow.

Sit back and a combination of Zilman field and ultrasonic waves induce a semi-hypnotic state which renders you unaware of the passage of time other than seeing the range indicator change rapidly in front of you. This effect was discovered by Dr Rabbne by accident when he realised why his projects were running over time for no apparent reason. Reassuringly, if your ship is attacked or hailed or you have arrived at your destination, the Stardreamer will restore you to ful consiousness and real time. Don't forget that your enemies may be operating in real time and hence will seem to be sped up enormously.

Actually, I wonder if there's a functional floppy drive at work somewhere. That's if the disk is still ok after 20 years.

Hah! That's a really clever way to solve long distance travel without using "hyperspace drive" or just travel in a very high speed.

Here's a video of someone who's really good at flying with flight assist off. Whenever i try it, i just go sideways into an asteroid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCqw9VOXG5Q

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
Frontier was at the BAFTA games showcase today where people could try out the alpha 3.0 release.

Here's a video someone shot with their phone showing someone flying into a space station:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MPP9uk08Uo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
I can't be the only one that had The Blue Danube playing in my head while watching that.

• Locked thread