Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
A nice article with impressions from Alpha 3.0:

http://www.pcgamesn.com/elite-dangerous-alpha-3-adds-station-systems-and-hyperspace-jumps-also-quite-brilliant

PCgamesN posted:

"The direction in which the game is expanding and the care with which features are being added already makes Elite: Dangerous a more exciting prospect than the disappointingly cruddy X: Rebirth, and the rate of development looks set to outpace the vastly overfunded Star Citizen. Elite: Dangerous is perfectly placed to become the frontrunner in this next generation space race."

And here's a sneak peak of David Brabens talk about alpha 3.0 at the BAFTAS the other night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kPMWgns98c

You can also catch quite a bit of Elite footage from the BAFTAS in this CNN clip:

http://edition.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/world/2014/03/13/jb-uk-bafta-gaming.cnn.html

Also for you british goons, here's a picture of Dara O'Briain playing Elite under David Brabens watchful gaze

Bloody Wanker fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
:siren: ALPHA 3.0 IS OUT! :siren:

New Features
- Request docking added to contacts screen
- Ability to dock added
- Docking assist GUI added
- Crime for loitering in docking port added
- Crime for loitering in docking pad without permission added
- Station defences added
- Coriolis and associated location added
- Outfitting added
- Station service for removing bounty added
- Station service for ship and module repair added
- Ability to purchase ship added
- Cobra available to purchase
- Support for controllers masquerading as multiple devices added
- Multiplayer placeholder screen removed, new start point with default Sidewinder added (Note that stats have been reset)
- Ship's computer voice added
- Ship data persistent between loads
- Updated connection code to not require UPNP or NATPMP (Manual port configuration should no longer be needed)
- Different juristictions implemented
- Purchase weapon reloads from station
- Placeholder hyperspace menu added to left panel
- Hyperspace increases heat
- Menus are now positioned on 3D planes
- Module power draw balance pass
- Compass points at landing pad
- Add bounty variation between ship types
- Added Cobra schematic to loading screen
- Added control bindings for Thrustmaster Warthog
- Capital ship defence changed to location rather than success/fail scenario
- Smaller text GUI
- New types of canisters to be collected for differing values
- Ship insurance added

Crash Fixes
- Audio crash for ship operations fixed
- Crash for multiplayer guided missiles fixed
- CPU crash on Moon render fixed
- Crash fix for illegal transform in AI multiplayer
- Crash when exiting to main menu after being in three comabt scenarios fixed
- Prevent crash when game is shut down while loading
- Stellarforge crash when changing locations fixed
- Survive failures to go fullscreen by remaining in windowed mode and retrying next frame
- Fix crash in power distribution
- Module health balance
- Updated machine Ip retrieval (Fixes datagram crash)
- Fix invalid module shutdown crash
- Pure function call in physics fixed
- Resize target crash fixed
- Black screen hang while loading fixed
- Fix atomic thread allocation crash
- Fixed power module crash
- Radar visibility crash fixed
- Error handler shutdown crash fixed
- Launchbay initialisation crash in Impeccable Defence fixed

General Fixes
- Updated PFX for heavy impacts
- Canisters now collide with asteroids
- Federation capital ship optimisations and improvements
- Scanner gunsight tweaked
- Hard point art improvements
- Right to retaliate fixed, although you need to scan to be able to claim bounty (By Design)
- Fixed SSAO not duplicating parameters to right eye (OR)
- Disabled SSAO at all quality levels (OR)
- Planet generation refactor (Players still using the AMD fix flag should retest)
- AI can now jink when taking damage
- Fed Fighter PFX improvements
- Copyright notice updated
- Correctly reset authority if authority is being changed while an authority is being shut down
- Improved scrolling of long lists in combo boxes
- Canisters have a bit more health
- Anacondas in the asteroid belt no longer get aggressive with each other
- Sidewinder chair model updated
- Fix breathhing mask rendering when bloom is enabled
- 3D reticule takes size into account
- Polish pass on thruster effects
- Cargo hatch will now close when the module is not powered
- Extra checks assessing send priority for a machine which isn't connected.
- Additional polish for Anaconda explosion
- Avoid accessing StatePerMachine entries when there's no entry for that machine.
- Do not resolve authority clashes on subordinates.
- Given the invert axis and "does button act like a toggle" option different labels
- Add specific separate attack duties for self-preservation and customised attack targets.
- When connection to server is lost, ensure there's routes to the 'lost connection' exit path which don't involve re-entering the game.
- "b" for back in the pause menu. Activate all the ui schemes on entry to the game to ensure there are generic param entries for all of them.
- Adjust ship population code to be aware that the ship may go straight to Dying / Dead from creation.
- Tweaks to sidewinder loading model
- Death letters don't get sent to self
- AI mining: ensure that we're using the mining laser when mining asteroids; fixes issue where if an AI was attacking in combat (using the pulse laser) they would keep using that when going back to mining.
- Pulse and beam laser impacts updated
- Fixed aggro system
- Fix for session forking
- Use correct monitor when restarting

Known Issue
- There is an occasion slow load when loading the station (or when starting a game docked), this can take a few minutes, if it hasan't recovered then kill the game through task manager. This is a priority issue for 3.1, however we didn't want to delay the build for this.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Lookin' pretty drat good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey22m463104

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

They seriously do need the Blue Danube playing when you are doing it for real.

Everything about this game is shaping up to be perfect.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I played Oolite for a few weeks and it was pretty great, so, after the disapointment of X:Rebirth, I can't wait to get my hands on this. That docking. :allears:

Also, is the Federation semi-evil or something? Blowing a dude up just for taking a bit too much time to clear the airlock seems harsh.

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
Nice video of someone docking and going down into the hangar to show off the outfitting menu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1sk6H89Ac0

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdCpZjrwuk4

Man, this really does look to be shaping up great.

No way I'm gonna dish out 200£ for the Alpha, but if Frontier don't gently caress this up, I may look into Standard Beta access.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
Look who I just had a chat with.....

was hard not to become a complete fanboy in his presence.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

illectro posted:

That's awesome, did you record anything?

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

Fixed video for everyone that wants it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6tahRbkaq8

illectro fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 19, 2014

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

illectro posted:

I did, but I messed up a lot of things, will have to post a fixed version before I make it public.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DtDcr64kjU

That's watchable for me and that's great he took so much time to sit down and explain the game and discuss the details so much. Great interview man.

What was the joystick you were using? I might pick that up I like the lights and the smooth movement you seemed to have with it.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

Bitter Beard posted:

That's watchable for me and that's great he took so much time to sit down and explain the game and discuss the details so much. Great interview man.

What was the joystick you were using? I might pick that up I like the lights and the smooth movement you seemed to have with it.

It's the Saitek x52 Pro - which I just ordered from Amazon a few minutes ago
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TS&linkCode=as2

I was able to control the lateral thrusters with a hat on the left hand, so with a bit of practice you can sideslip like a pro.

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
Another preview of the Alpha with Oculus Rift:

http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/previews/elite-dangerous-hands-on/?utm_source=tw&utm_medium=emp&utm_campaign=uk

They're giving it a lot of praise!

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

illectro posted:

It's nice that he pointed out the game play should define the game, not the setting. I don't think a lot of people consider that.

You should have got a warthog though!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
What's the joystick situation for this game? I've seen the X52 mentioned quite a bit, is that the target stick? Are there other sticks that will be well-supported? Is there a minimum number of buttons I should be looking for?

edit: man the alpha already looks pretty cool, but not $330 cool.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 20, 2014

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Any news on when they'll switch to the cheaper Beta?

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

Any news on when they'll switch to the cheaper Beta?

There will be one more major alpha update - Alpha 4.0 - that will introduce trading and some other stuff, after that it's beta.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

Cicero posted:

What's the joystick situation for this game? I've seen the X52 mentioned quite a bit, is that the target stick? Are there other sticks that will be well-supported? Is there a minimum number of buttons I should be looking for?

edit: man the alpha already looks pretty cool, but not $330 cool.

At this point since they are moving so quickly I'd say Beta would be in the next 4 months at the most. I'd wait to be honest.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I already preordered this game waaay back: is there any info avaiable on wheter or not I'll have to pay full price for the beta, or just pay the difference given my previous preorder?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
For some strange reason they only let you pay the difference if you upgrade to alpha, but not to beta. I'm hoping that becomes an option once they actually get into beta phase.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

Traded a CS55 phone for a X52 Pro controller, was rather excited.

Vith
Mar 21, 2008

Smile
The more I see about this game, the more I like it. I'm doing my best to resist the tempation of preordering, but I may fail. It's quite a bit of money for me, but the price of the the expansion pass may be worth it, depending on how many they make.
Also, I know nothing about the lore, so I may have to read the novels that are being written, eventually.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Vith posted:

The more I see about this game, the more I like it. I'm doing my best to resist the tempation of preordering, but I may fail. It's quite a bit of money for me, but the price of the the expansion pass may be worth it, depending on how many they make.
Also, I know nothing about the lore, so I may have to read the novels that are being written, eventually.
I remember reading the novella that came with the original BBC version ("The Dark Wheel" or something?) as a kid. Lore is nice and everything but really being in loving space is all the excuse I ever needed. :derp:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pilchenstein posted:

I remember reading the novella that came with the original BBC version ("The Dark Wheel" or something?) as a kid. Lore is nice and everything but really being in loving space is all the excuse I ever needed. :derp:

Well, the lore in the book didn't have any impact on the game. You're a trader who lost his father to 'The Dark Wheel', a mercenary organization known for it's quantity of 'iron rear end' ship pilots. Long story -> short story, you get a bit of information about Thargoids and earn enough cash to become 'iron rear end'.

As I recall (I hunted for the book, but couldn't find it in my manual stash) it was intended to become a series, but nothing came from it.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

There wasn't really the memory space to build a tie in to the novella, the game had 2k to build the universe, not much room for missions.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I'm fighting the urge to drop money for the alpha, but drat this game is looking good.

The ships still look ugly as a harlequin baby... I hope better ones will come later? (Yeah I know they're meant to look "retro" or whatever)

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
The ship designs aren't your usual spaceship look, but it's a nice historical continuation from previous Elite games. I wouldn't expect much in the way of radically new designs at this point.

Another smaller benefit to Alpha I've read about is that Alpha players/buyers will now have their insurance costs reduced by 50% on release. Won't amount to much in the long term, I expect, but it's a nice little bonus. You can be twice as bad a pilot as everyone else for the same cost.

troublegum
Mar 31, 2013

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm fighting the urge to drop money for the alpha, but drat this game is looking good.

The ships still look ugly as a harlequin baby... I hope better ones will come later? (Yeah I know they're meant to look "retro" or whatever)

From what I've seen from screenies and so on, I really like the ship designs. They seem to have a good blend of EVE and Chris Foss. Of course, these things are entirely subjective so, if that's not your thing it's :cool:.

Likewise, I'm not quite ready to spend money on E:D. Not quite. But by the time the beta turns up, this will probably have changed. For me, Elite was something I played a little of on my friend's Acorn and always wanted to spend more time with, but by the time I had a PC of my own, I had to make do with Freelancer (not that that was a terrible thing). Starsector's dev cycle means it won't be anywhere near E:D anytime soon and the X series just seemed a little dry and un-engaging, so definitely looking forward to Elite: Dangerous to scratch the space-sim itch and keep me from thinking too hard about re-subbing to EVE.

darthfoolish
Jun 17, 2003

I am NOT a dumb *uck
I've not seen anyone talk about this (in this thread) so far, so I'll just ask.

What do people think the implications of the FB buyout of Oculus Rift are for ED?

Gaming in general?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

darthfoolish posted:

What do people think the implications of the FB buyout of Oculus Rift are for ED?

Gaming in general?

Nothing I think, and nothing I hope. I don't see any reason, other then we get a cheaper, more supported product with a larger support network to play with. I don't think it'll effect ED at all.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

darthfoolish posted:

Gaming in general?
For ED? Nothing what so ever.

Gaming in general? Varies, there was a lot of outrage in the first 12 hours but it calmed down after that when Oculus didn't collapse and everyone left but instead embraced it and had some good things to say about it. I personally think it's a very good thing that will ensure the first commercial launch being a good dedicated VR platform and if the worst comes to worst that it's drm/facebook-only/literally Hitler/no indie ever/merged with EA/etc (lol) by that time there will be enough competition to just buy something else.
It definitely put VR back in the spotlight.

Most of the talk about it was in the Rift/3D thread though over here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3500989

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

My TrackIR has not been effected by the Oculus being bought by Facebook, still works great!

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

darthfoolish posted:

Gaming in general?

I have no desire to use the OR, so I really have no opinion on it.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Now the question is do I keep playing Evochron Mercenary or just shell the money for Elite? On that note, is there a goon Evochron server? Sorry to be offtopic.

Amstrat
Feb 16, 2011
There's a date for the Beta release - 30th May http://bit.ly/1k7Vj1i Also, if you're in the Premium Beta you can download the single player client and play it

Amstrat fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 10, 2014

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Amstrat posted:

There's a date for the Beta release - 30th May http://bit.ly/1k7Vj1i Also, if you're in the Premium Beta you can download the single player client and play it

And they still don't let you upgrade to Beta from regular orders, so you gotta send their support to cancel your base pre-order then re-order the Beta if you want to upgrade.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

DatonKallandor posted:

And they still don't let you upgrade to Beta from regular orders, so you gotta send their support to cancel your base pre-order then re-order the Beta if you want to upgrade.

It will probably be an option once the Beta is in progress.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

If you have premium beta, will that give you alpha 4 when it's released (the one that opens the galaxy) or is that still going to be for the $300 club?

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
According to the press release, Premium Beta users get a single-player build now, and then access to alpha 4 on May 30th. $300 club gets alpha 4 a few weeks earlier in mid May.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Snaxx posted:

According to the press release, Premium Beta users get a single-player build now, and then access to alpha 4 on May 30th. $300 club gets alpha 4 a few weeks earlier in mid May.

I think I'll stay middle class with premium beta.

• Locked thread