Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

OhDearGodNo posted:

I think I'll stay middle class with premium beta.

I pulled the trigger on the Premium Beta too, since the all-DLC/expansion pass is included in that, which makes it pretty great value for money. And goddamn the game is fantastic. The way the ship handles is just incredible. You really feel every boost and turn - and the fact that disabling your flight assist also disables assist on rotational movement makes it less of an "I win" button like it is in so many pseudo-newtonian flight sims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Do we know how many dlc packs or expansions they plan on releasing or is it purely speculation?

I've been on the fence as it seems like an ungodly asking price.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So, how many ships will be playable in this game? I guess capital ships will be non pilotable judging from the videos, but I would like to fly something else than a fighter (X3 Rebirth was a huge letdown).

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008

Snaxx posted:

Do we know how many dlc packs or expansions they plan on releasing or is it purely speculation?

I've been on the fence as it seems like an ungodly asking price.

I thiiiink there's two expansions planned after the initial release. One will add walking around on your ship, boarding other ships etc.

And the other one involves planetary landing.

Zudgemud posted:

So, how many ships will be playable in this game? I guess capital ships will be non pilotable judging from the videos, but I would like to fly something else than a fighter (X3 Rebirth was a huge letdown).

From the wiki: "There will be 25 different playable ship types at launch. Some will have variant versions, and each will have a huge range of different equipment levels, so you could equip them as freighters, attack ships, explorers, etc."

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Ships

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The Cobra Mk III is the one true ship and the only ship you need. :colbert:

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Can you insure it once you get it in alpha currently? I like playing but don't want to waste a poo poo ton of time until I can at least keep the progress I've made on another ship.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So the Alpha 1.1 Premium beta guys get can't recognize more than 1 controller at the moment. I've heard this was fixed in later Alpha releases? I'd really like to use my X55 for something besides war thunder

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008

Bolow posted:

So the Alpha 1.1 Premium beta guys get can't recognize more than 1 controller at the moment. I've heard this was fixed in later Alpha releases? I'd really like to use my X55 for something besides war thunder

Yeah, it's fixed in the later releases.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Zudgemud posted:

Supposedly the Anaconda is going to be flyable and that's a pretty crazy ship. It's got turrets all over the place with large arcs of fire, very unlike the traditional fighter style of "get behind enemy firing guns that can only fire straight forward".

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bolow posted:

Do you have the X55 yet?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

What's all this nonsense about yaw being nerfed?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

The Sidewinder is very wide, flat and stubby. The thruster and engine placement means it's got great forward and back acceleration, great pitch (thruster on top and bottom both in the front and the back of the wedge shape) but lovely yaw.

I don't know if they came up with the shape first or if the shape informed the flight behaviour, but basically it doesn't handle like a traditional space game ship, where yaw and pitch are equally strong. It makes flying it feel really unique and rolling has actual use (roll the ship so you can use your good pitch instead of your crappy yaw), which was basically never the case in space games before.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Basically you have to fly somewhat similar to an aircraft, you have to roll to the correct orientation and then pitch up into your turns. You could pitch down I suppose, but you've got better upwards visibility.

Basically watch the way this guy flys, though he has flight assist off (flight assist makes it fly even more like an airplane).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvl7uaR1sfI

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 14, 2014

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Hav posted:

Do you have the X55 yet?

Yeah I got mine about a month ago with the first wave of preorders

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

Bolow posted:

Yeah I got mine about a month ago with the first wave of preorders

Did you have the X52 or what did you have before? I got my X52 for 40 bucks off craigslist so not sure I'll be upgrading to the X55 until this breaks, with the X52 the game is fantastic.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
When is the X55 supposed to be widely available without a pre-order?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Bitter Beard posted:

Did you have the X52 or what did you have before? I got my X52 for 40 bucks off craigslist so not sure I'll be upgrading to the X55 until this breaks, with the X52 the game is fantastic.

I had an X52 Pro before I got this and it's a direct improvement over everything. The only major downside is the lack of a 2 stage trigger and the throttle and stick are recognized as 2 separate control devices not 1.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bolow posted:

I had an X52 Pro before I got this and it's a direct improvement over everything. The only major downside is the lack of a 2 stage trigger and the throttle and stick are recognized as 2 separate control devices not 1.

I have the X52, So i was looking at either picking up the pro, or the X55. How's the center deadzones on the stick and the precision close to center? Don't want to derail, but I'm genuinely interested in X55 and don't want to throw down sight unseen (or without a random goon recommendation).

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Double post via mobile

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

OhDearGodNo posted:

What's all this nonsense about yaw being nerfed?

I haven't really noticed it to be completely obvious, I think it is the super space pros that are complaining about it; or possibly I don't know what direction yaw actually is but I kind of doubt that.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Hav posted:

I have the X52, So i was looking at either picking up the pro, or the X55. How's the center deadzones on the stick and the precision close to center? Don't want to derail, but I'm genuinely interested in X55 and don't want to throw down sight unseen (or without a random goon recommendation).

Precision is better than the X52 Pro then again the HUD software for the X55 lets you adjust sensitivity curves significantly easier than with the older sticks. The adjustable springs are a massive improvement over the kind of sloppy X52/Pro ones. At a $150-$200 price point it's totally unmatched

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Sod that. Give me an Imperial Courier or give me death!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzEj4Gq7fT4

...Jesus, that was over two decades ago. :corsair:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Itzena posted:

Not having played the old Elite games, it's funny how well they remade those old ships:

Also it's strange watching that Capital Ship Battle video they posted before Alpha again. Back then I thought they'd never really get it to look like that, but now that we've actually got it on our computers playing it, they completely got there. The whole in-cockpit portion of that video including the UI is at least 90% of what's actually in the game right now.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

DatonKallandor posted:

Not having played the old Elite games, it's funny how well they remade those old ships:

Also it's strange watching that Capital Ship Battle video they posted before Alpha again. Back then I thought they'd never really get it to look like that, but now that we've actually got it on our computers playing it, they completely got there. The whole in-cockpit portion of that video including the UI is at least 90% of what's actually in the game right now.

God those look so much better than a cheese wedge.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Wedge seems to be the design style of one manufacturer.
The Cobra Mk3

Sidewinder

Adder

and Asp

all share that style.

The Eagle I posted before looks a lot more like a traditional space fighter, and so does the
Viper (even though the Snake name suggests it comes from the same development line?)

The small NPC fighter they've got in the Alpha right now looks like a slimmer even less wedge shaped Viper (in fact, it looks almost exactly like a Hiigaran Blade Mk4 from Homeworld 2, but that's a great design so I don't mind)

The Imperial (Federal? Which ones are the white extravagant looking ones?) Fighters from the Capital Ship Battle video are also a completely different design ethos, with a spherical center cockpit and two huge spherical engine pods on long sleek booms to the side. They look extremely agile in ways the Sidewinder absolutely isn't and the video shows them using twin Beam Lasers (which are incredible potent even on the sort of sluggish Sidewinder, so I can't imagine what fighting those would be like).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 15, 2014

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

DatonKallandor posted:

The Eagle I posted before looks a lot more like a traditional space fighter, and so does the
Viper (even though the Snake name suggests it comes from the same development line?)
The Viper was pretty wedgey in the original Elite, where I believe all the ships were named after snakes (at least all the ones in the tape version, christ I feel old typing that).

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pilchenstein posted:

The Viper was pretty wedgey in the original Elite, where I believe all the ships were named after snakes (at least all the ones in the tape version, christ I feel old typing that).

Adder, Krait, Sidewinder, Cobra, Python, Anaconda, Asp, Boa, Worm. BBC B disk version, homie.

Edit: I think the lore also had a moray, submersible starship, but I don't know that it was in game.

Edit2: and the constrictor, the mission ship.

Only so many designs you can do with relatively few polygons, so being wedgy was a think. Frontier had curves and broke away from the snake ships.

Hav fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 15, 2014

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Hav posted:

Adder, Krait, Sidewinder, Cobra, Python, Anaconda, Asp, Boa, Worm. BBC B disk version, homie.
BBC B tape version was missing the Boa, Worm and Krait, IIRC. And yeah, they moved away from wedges a bit in Frontier, but the wireframe Cobra MkIII will always be iconic as poo poo to me. :v:

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Hav posted:

Edit: I think the lore also had a moray, submersible starship, but I don't know that it was in game.

Edit2: and the constrictor, the mission ship.

Only so many designs you can do with relatively few polygons, so being wedgy was a think. Frontier had curves and broke away from the snake ships.

The original elite saved space by only encoding half the spacecraft and then mirroring them, Also, they were drawn by XOR'ing the pixels on the screen to draw and then repeating the process to remove them. Frontier introduced a number of spacecraft outside the snake theme, such as the eagle, it was one of the last major games to be coded primarily in assembler, and apparently had support for polygons with curved edges, which isn't something I've seen in many other titles.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

illectro posted:

apparently had support for polygons with curved edges, which isn't something I've seen in many other titles.
It did and I think Quake 3 was the next game to do it. Frontier, like Elite before it, was a loving marvel considering the hardware it ran on. Braben is a loving wizard - I'll freely a admit that I'm more excited about flying around looking at poo poo in this game than I am about fighting or trading. Just floating around watching the sunrise on saturn's rings is easily the most impressive thing I did with my amiga.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Itzena posted:

:neckbeard::corsair: yesssssssssssssssssssss :corsair::neckbeard:

Lookit that planetary landing. Just look at the pure awesomeness. Someone remind me if there's planetary landings in E:D.

A Reasonable Man
Jul 30, 2003

Heh heh heh...

Okay.
Planetary landings are planned, but they are going to wait to develop that particular feature-set until after the main game is out. They are saying they want landing on planets to be interesting and fun rather than just a couple scattered settlements on a height map with pretty atmospheric effects.

From the level of detail we've seen already just from the stations, I'm happy to do without planetary landings for the time being. I have more than enough confidence in Frontier figuring out how to make it amazing to be patient about it.

As someone who wasn't born when Elite came out and only around 7 years old when Frontier: Elite 2 came out, I took some time to play them after ED was announced and was like "holy gently caress where did all these features go". It was like I found the space sim game I had been waiting for my entire life, and it frigging came out 20 years ago.

If Braben can bring the same level of absolutely mind-boggling innovation to this game, I think we are gonna see some seriously cool poo poo.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I remember putting guns in the turrets of trading ships in Frontier & First Encounters. With some of them it was possible to shoot your own ship. :v:

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK0U9L086yU

A really good video where a guy shows off all that is in the latest alpha. Worth a watch if you're on the fence wether upgrading to premium beta or not.

If you dont watch the entire thing, make sure you watch the ending though. It's intense!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Largepotato posted:

I remember putting guns in the turrets of trading ships in Frontier & First Encounters. With some of them it was possible to shoot your own ship. :v:

I didn't bother, I just bought the biggest ship and fast forwarded time. If bandits tried to attack me they'd eventually crash into my ship and explode. I remember 12yr old me being well chuffed when I figured that out.

Grabpot Thundergust
Jul 6, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

I didn't bother, I just bought the biggest ship and fast forwarded time. If bandits tried to attack me they'd eventually crash into my ship and explode. I remember 12yr old me being well chuffed when I figured that out.

Hah, yes! I remember targeting bandits, setting autopilot, then fast forwarding with a heavy book wedged on the fire button. You'd blow them to pieces, or ram them to death eventually. With any luck you'd even have your autopilot working by the end of it so you could get to the nearest station...

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
PC Gamer says Elite is the number one VR experience: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/15/the-rift-report-10-of-the-best-vr-experiences/

Also, the Devs will be streaming E:D tomorrow (thursday) at 6.30 on their twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/elitedangerous

You can ask questions via twitter, on their facebook page or on the forums.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Pfft, Cobra MkIII being the one true ship? Get out of here. Sure, I flew the poo poo out of it in the original Elite and Elite Plus, but the Elite game I played the most in years, was Frontier, and the Asp Explorer was the best, most versatile ship, hands down.
But seriously I'm so hyped up for this game.

Will Lave be one of the starting points of the new game?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Pochoclo posted:

Pfft, Cobra MkIII being the one true ship? Get out of here. Sure, I flew the poo poo out of it in the original Elite and Elite Plus, but the Elite game I played the most in years, was Frontier, and the Asp Explorer was the best, most versatile ship, hands down.
But seriously I'm so hyped up for this game.

Will Lave be one of the starting points of the new game?

See this is odd because I distinctly recall the Imperial Courier to be the fastest, largest, sexiest ship in the game. And I have not seen it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Acutally, I'll admit, the only Elite game I've played is Oolite. :smith:

I should play more Oolite some time. But like Skyrim and certain other games, figuring out mods to use is a hassle.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 17, 2014

• Locked thread