Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

My typical sword was a Durability Retention +200% or so Panty's Sword. That thing lasted essentially forever.

I don't know why anyone would need to abuse saves, though, OWH is really lite and easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Normally you don't really need to abuse saves as much, but as stated, a 10000km run takes close to 10 hours to do and I'm not gonna get screwed over by RNG at 8000km+ mark. That, plus enemies on the highest difficulty become pretty goddamned dangerous when you get far enough and I didn't feel like losing any party members: unlike you, they cap out at 999 HP and basically everything can oneshot them later on despite their defense boosts.

AnotherGamer fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 29, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Where do you even find companions? I've only seen soldier d and dosey, and that was a scripted dimension to have her. Also I save and load because the game likes to throw superskeletons that two shot me in my face and I can't tell they're not weak until its too late.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
They're pretty rare in general and unless you get really lucky, use one of the campaign dimensions, use a specific dimension that spawns them at specific points or just go for the marathon run ending, it's not very likely you're gonna see them. Exactly what specific party member spawns is also at least partially determined by the difficulty level you play on, a dimension that spawns Panty on Normal spawns Victor on Hard instead. Frimelda is probably the most common party member to spawn and the easiest to find without accidentally missing her since she always spawns in a specific type of dungeon and those are relatively common.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I once played one of those special maps that spawned Duke Galtz early for recruitment.

Problem was his spawn zone was also right outside the starting castle, which was surrounded by lava. As soon as the king stopped talking he would die instantly :lol:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I got killed by an exploding bomb in by inventory for the first time this morning!

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Just a heads up for anyone who missed it during the Steam Summer Sale, One Way Heroics is part of this week's Humble Weekly Bundle, so you can snag it on Steam for only $1 (or a DRM-free version for $0.01, if you must).

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
Hey all!

Just wanted to let you all know that there was a quick Ver. 1.75 update to One Way Heroics that includes the following changes:

- Fixed a bug where if multiple spear attacks occurred, two additional attacks would follow each one.
- Increased the drop rate for Slender Spear by 1.5x.
- Increased the chance that Slender Spear will appear in shops by 1.2x.
- The “My First Vault” and “My First Perk” Steam achievements will now automatically be obtained upon starting the game if you meet the prerequisites. This was done because if you copied save data from other DRM-free versions for instance, there was a chance that these two achievements would become unobtainable.
- Added a little more content to Fairy Iris’ guide.
- Added content to the Readme; now includes some of the FAQ.

If you're playing the Playism version, you can update to this new version by going to your account page on Playism and redownload the game (don't forget to move your saves over!) If you're playing the Steam version, the game should upload automatically.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

thetrin posted:

- Increased the drop rate for Slender Spear by 1.5x.
- Increased the chance that Slender Spear will appear in shops by 1.2x.
Good. Slender Spear is way too rare for how fragile and mediocre it is.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Just started playing this game the other day and it's great!

So the classes that don't start with shields, are there any penalties for equipping them? Any other starting tips I should know about?

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

katkillad2 posted:

Just started playing this game the other day and it's great!

So the classes that don't start with shields, are there any penalties for equipping them? Any other starting tips I should know about?

Same here. Downloaded this on a whim a couple days ago and I'm hooked. Haven't had this much fun with a roguelike since FTL came out.

Seriously: I really like this game. Good music. Good sprite graphics. Good progressions. Everything.

Note: if it seems easy to anyone (it did to me) just beat it a couple times to unlock the harder modes. Becomes way more "roguelike" (aka way more difficult and you die a lot really easily) that way.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Same here. Downloaded this on a whim a couple days ago and I'm hooked. Haven't had this much fun with a roguelike since FTL came out.

Seriously: I really like this game. Good music. Good sprite graphics. Good progressions. Everything.

Note: if it seems easy to anyone (it did to me) just beat it a couple times to unlock the harder modes. Becomes way more "roguelike" (aka way more difficult and you die a lot really easily) that way.
That, and/or play something besides Knights and Swordmasters.

Alternatively, if you want to make a complete mockery of the game? 5x Pro Wrestler Perk on a Swordmaster is incredibly cheesy, because of how critical hits work.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Poison Mushroom posted:

That, and/or play something besides Knights and Swordmasters.

Alternatively, if you want to make a complete mockery of the game? 5x Pro Wrestler Perk on a Swordmaster is incredibly cheesy, because of how critical hits work.

Yeah, my first win was with a Swordmaster. Been avoiding using more than 3 perks, though. It really feels like cheating even when starting on the Grueling difficulty level.

Also, I just had an interesting world that generated about 4 holy weapon shrines within the first 200 km, giving me an easy Knight win after I ran across 3 seal keys. QUQOQKQO Lots of Q's...

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I haven't played in a while since (I think) I finished everything possible to do in the game, but has there been found anything about (end-endgame spoilers)there being someone else behind the "Darkness Dragon"? One of the endings if you finish the game on the hardest difficulty says that you momentarily see someone manipulating the darkness, but get pulled away before you reach them.

I never managed to find out if there was something more to that, even though I finished the game with every class on the hardest difficulty with Maniac Mode on.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I think it's meant to be a teaser for OWH+, which should be out this Winter if WOLF's latest blog post is to be believed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

I haven't played in a while since (I think) I finished everything possible to do in the game, but has there been found anything about (end-endgame spoilers)there being someone else behind the "Darkness Dragon"? One of the endings if you finish the game on the hardest difficulty says that you momentarily see someone manipulating the darkness, but get pulled away before you reach them.

I never managed to find out if there was something more to that, even though I finished the game with every class on the hardest difficulty with Maniac Mode on.
There's two more very different endings. One can only be gotten by marathoning for a loooong time, like 2000-5000 km.. The other requires attacking the left edge with a holy weapon and winning.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Unless the masochist setting adds a new ending of you versus some universal invader(?), finishing on the hardest mode at 10kKM is not really different. Is that a real ending?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Poison Mushroom posted:

There's two more very different endings. One can only be gotten by marathoning for a loooong time, like 2000-5000 km.. The other requires attacking the left edge with a holy weapon and winning.

Yeah, I've done both of these, but there is another, secret, ending inside one of the other endings if you do it on the hardest difficulty. I think it might be the "normal" Demon Lord one, but it's been a while, so I can't remember exactly. In this ending, when you get knocked out, you see someone manipulating the Darkness, and try to attack him, but get forced away.

I think Heavy neutrino is right though, and that it's a teaser for the upcoming expansion.

Also, a weird detail. You know how the characters on the main screen show up ethereal if you finish the game with them? If you do the 2000km ending with them, they become solid instead. No idea if it means anything though.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 5, 2014

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That also comes from playing harder modes with that character. Enjoy playing variations of each difficulty to 100% each character.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

For those who are interested, WOLF just released an early access version of OWH+ and gave a bit of an ETA for the English version of Spring~Summer 2015. On Playism's Japanese webpage, you can buy into the early access to the Steam release for 700 yen (~6.40 USD), which includes an early access version of the game as well as a Steam key when it gets released. The Steam release of OWH+ should cost some 6~7 USD, so if you're definitely planning to buy Plus on release, you don't lose anything by buying early.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Seems like the Japanese version of Plus can't import the English version's save data.
So if you care about that, you might want to wait.

e: new stuff in Plus I've found so far (mostly what the NPC at the start told me):
- If you move next to a character/enemy/object, your character automatically faces in that direction
- A "high speed movement mode". You hold a key to take two turns at once, it automatically stops when an enemy becomes visible nearby, so you don't accidentally kill yourself.
- A hotkey bar with 8 slots where you can place items or skills
- You can enable a setting that automatically throws equipped arrows when there is no enemy in melee range when you hit the attack button
- Every few days, there's a random chance that a food items you're lying around could spoil. Meat has a 35% chance everytime it checks, Nayuta Fruits and Lunchboxes have a 10% chance, for example. It seems like item's you're carrying on your character aren't affected though?
- There are "mid-Boss" enemies which are stronger than regular enemies and can have special skills. Some of them are even surrounded by the harmless animals, so you need to be careful what you attack if you don't want to make the forest guys angry
- There are skills trainers (like the spell trainers in the original) that can teach you non-magic skills. Learning those skills costs money and some stat points (for example there's a skill that makes your next attack do 2.4 times as much damage, but learning it costs 800 silver and 3 strength)
- The Goddess statues don't allow you to increase all your stats anymore? The one I found only offered me strength, Int and crit chance. I could also wish for a weapon(cost: 6 levels), which gave me a 1 weight, 8 attack sword with 120 durability that sells for 1100 silver
- My hero had the feeleing that "something good is going to happen soon"...and a few turns later I got a full restore (HP, stamina, hunger) plus an attack/defense buff

e2:
- If you hit a treasure box once, you can see what kind of item is inside. If you break the box, there is a chance, that the item inside is destroyed. But you can find keys to properly open the chests
- When the goddess randomly asks you if you want to save your game, you can tell her to not ask again for this game
- You get EXP for moving into a new area, so you can level up without fighting anything
- Another "you feel like something good is going to happen". This time there were a lot more items on the ground than usual

Tamba fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 26, 2014

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Whats different about the plus version?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

A lot. My Japanese isn't superb so it'd be nice if someone more proficient could translate it, but if no one does I might step up and do it myself. This page has the full list (starting from the 片道勇者プラスの新要素 section).

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

A lot. My Japanese isn't superb so it'd be nice if someone more proficient could translate it, but if no one does I might step up and do it myself. This page has the full list (starting from the 片道勇者プラスの新要素 section).

In addition to the stuff I posted above:
- New Quests/characters
- New items, like
- A potion that gives you a weakened version of the berserk skill
- A "Magic bridge that allows you to pass through 15 tiles of terrain (?) it turns the next 15 tiles (except for walls) into some kind of magic floor, so you can easily pass over mountains and lakes etc
- Something you can throw at enemies that lowers their attack/defense and makes them vulnerable to fire
- Fire arrows
- New Skills, new NPCs (I mentioned some above)
- New Biomes and countries/kingdoms populated by other races. It seems like they sell different stuff and pay more for certain items, but there are also toll booths where you need to pay to pass through. If you don't pay, you get sin.
- New Classes: Force User Knight, Ninja, Tourist
- 9 new Perks
- A castle that you can upgrade with "dimensional coins" You actually upgrade the starting castle, which allows you to make it larger and place various new NPCs there
- Detailed stats

Tamba fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 26, 2014

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Tamba posted:

- New Classes: Force User, Ninja, Tourist

Uh...

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

It's supposed to be Force Knight, a class that combines decent melee abilities with Force Spells that act as buffs (also something about being able to see 1 space through walls, I'll expand on it when I get a chance to play). Also one of the portraits has this sick 'stache:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

All I can really do is flail around a bit but I'm liking all of the little changes to the interface.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'll wait for the English release, but this'll probably be one of the few games I buy first thing without waiting for special 50%+ discounts or a bundle.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

I had some time to play this morning and got lucky enough to get one of the new recruitable allies, Albert. He's a timespace traveler who uses some sort of weird gun that shoots magic, and pierces two tiles in front of you with his attacks. After you complete all his events, he gives you a hand-made tech gun that works like a bow but doesn't use arrows, checks your Willpower stat for damage, and pierces several tiles in front of you. At the end of the game, you get his actual, somewhat stronger gun.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I thought the whole EXP boost without fighting was a Tourist thing? That will take the fire out of being a Tourist's uniqueness.

OP needs an update with working images.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I haven't even unlocked the tourist yet, and I got a levelup or two every time the scenery changed. Maybe tourists just get even more exp from advancing?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

I haven't unlocked the class yet either; maybe it was just an early idea that was expanded to all classes.

Some of the new perks are pretty cool. One of them reduces your equipment burn rate by 8% each (it's pretty important, since item mods were overhauled so that the majority of them increase degradation rate) and another gives +2% chance to hit.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I thought what he'd talked about before was that Tourists would gain exp from visiting towns.

Scalding Coffee posted:

OP needs an update with working images.

I don't have those pictures anymore arghghghgh I guess I'll have to redo them though I'd rather wait for Plus since it has a lot of interface changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Just finished my first new class unlocking quest -- for the Force Knight. It's a strange affair; you take the quest, in any world, from a NPC that you can add to the starting castle, and after accepting it the Demon King just fucks off for the entire game. The clock that usually predicts the Demon King's appearance now spawns dark knight bases instead (the dark knights stole the soul of the Force Knights and fragmented it because uuuh they're always up to no good ya know how them black knights are). You need to find four bases and free the imprisoned soul fragment inside, the last base spawning the game's boss, named King of the black knights. His HP is on par with the Demon King's, but he annoyingly casts the Lightning spell a lot, which you can't evade if you're melee unlike the Demon King's flame wave spell (Lightning was changed from its pretty broken state in vanilla to a 3x3 square in front of the caster).

It's an interesting change of scenery; I'm looking forward to seeing the other classes' quests.

• Locked thread