Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Mustach posted:

The OP makes this sound really fun, except for mention of one thing that I loathe in every RL:

Am I going to have to spend endless precious moments of my life tediously dipping arrows into potions, etc. to avoid drinking acid, etc., or does this game improve that somehow?

Potions never need to be identified, you'll never be stuck with a mysterious pink potion they might blow you up when you drink it. It's just equipment, and I don't think that there are any cursed traits or other "gotchas" that might severely punish you for using unidentified gear, though there are some that you might prefer to avoid. It just dictates how much information you have about a piece of equipment.

Unidentified they look like this:

You don't actually know what benefits they confer and you can't see their remaining durability.

Fully identified items look like this:

and you're able to see how close they are to breaking as well as any special traits they might have.

Items you encounter in the world or in shops are automatically compared against your Item Appraisal stat, which is dictated by your Intellect, and will be partially or completely identified if possible. It's all fairly painless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Social Animal posted:

There really isn't a identify meta game in this. You find scrolls or a special npc in villages and both ways identify all items in your possession.

There kinda is in that you can sorta tell what a given weapon will be given the weight of it.

Like Weight 4 swords are typically Long Swords while a Weight 2 sword can be a Short Sword, Rapier, or Dagger.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Top Gym Pumper posted:

Potions never need to be identified, you'll never be stuck with a mysterious pink potion they might blow you up when you drink it. It's just equipment, and I don't think that there are any cursed traits or other "gotchas" that might severely punish you for using unidentified gear, though there are some that you might prefer to avoid. It just dictates how much information you have about a piece of equipment. …
Even better, thanks. Now I'm definitely going to pick this up.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm going to assume the ability to equip 5 perks onto a character is something I'll unlock later? I don't see an option to buy it with Hero Points.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Reiterpallasch posted:

I'm going to assume the ability to equip 5 perks onto a character is something I'll unlock later? I don't see an option to buy it with Hero Points.

You get the ability to equip 5 perks once you buy something like 3 or 4 perks.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Reiterpallasch posted:

Seems like it comes from buying perks but I'm not sure.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
I'm having troubles getting Adventurer to work (especially without Vault). Treasure Radar seems not particularly useful since you can see all the dungeons/towns on the map anyways (I think?), invisible chests don't show up without treasure maps, and alcoves with chests are pretty rare.. Improved lockpicking seems like it's just replaced by axes/crit smashing things to bits? I can't even really get past the early game since Dagger and Traveler's Clothes are pretty crap. Should I just find a bow and use Dash/Jump to kite or..? It might just be that I'm getting some bad random dimensions since unless I pump Agility perks I keep running into Harpies that run three spaces or chew me up for 30x2 per turn.

The Mimic posted:

Then the second time he appeared I used 4x Awakening and Berserk and slew him. Thing to keep in mind that may have been obvious: Berserk still runs out at the usual speed when Awakening is activated, so don't berserk until after you're out of them.
True, this'll probably be better. Berserk lasts 15 rounds, so you'll lose 3 or 4 turns casting Awakening while Berserkering, and you heal every round while Berserk which is pointless while Awakening is on, plus if you don't manage to kill the Demon Lord with those 12 turns you're gonna get your Life/Stamina reduced to a third and have to spend all your time healing.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

haha Gyoru got beat up by a horse.

maketakunai posted:

I'm having troubles getting Adventurer to work (especially without Vault). Treasure Radar seems not particularly useful since you can see all the dungeons/towns on the map anyways (I think?), invisible chests don't show up without treasure maps, and alcoves with chests are pretty rare.. Improved lockpicking seems like it's just replaced by axes/crit smashing things to bits? I can't even really get past the early game since Dagger and Traveler's Clothes are pretty crap. Should I just find a bow and use Dash/Jump to kite or..? It might just be that I'm getting some bad random dimensions since unless I pump Agility perks I keep running into Harpies that run three spaces or chew me up for 30x2 per turn.
True, this'll probably be better. Berserk lasts 15 rounds, so you'll lose 3 or 4 turns casting Awakening while Berserkering, and you heal every round while Berserk which is pointless while Awakening is on, plus if you don't manage to kill the Demon Lord with those 12 turns you're gonna get your Life/Stamina reduced to a third and have to spend all your time healing.

Yeah you don't want to be fighting dudes head on with that dagger at the start. Use your dash to get away from anything you have trouble with and track down some nice items and equipment. Their extra movement options do work well with a bow. I think you might even be able to jump into mountains and then fire arrows or use a spear from them?

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Ask me about capital Ds and how disintegration is totally rad.

Top Gym Pumper posted:

BTW if anyone figures out how to get a Dark Brotherhood membership card I'd love to know. My guess is that it has to do with murdering a lot of innocent people but I haven't put it to the test yet.
I saw a green merchant sell one once, it was pretty expensive... I think around three or four thousand? My Charisma was like 1 at that point to be fair.
Edit:
Just as a note, really nit picky thing but this

Top Gym Pumper posted:

Energy drains constantly, you have to keep it up by eating food. If you run out of Energy your Life and Stamina will stop regenerating.
Isn't quite right. Your ST will stop it's regen but health regen will actually just be halved.

TyreForHyre fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 2, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

TyreForHyre posted:

I saw a green merchant sell one once, it was pretty expensive... I think around three or four thousand? My Charisma was like 1 at that point to be fair.
Edit:
Just as a note, really nit picky thing but this

Isn't quite right. Your ST will stop it's regen but health regen will actually just be halved.

Fixed thanks

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Top Gym Pumper posted:

It was a big horse :(

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
Hey all! Nayan from Playism here.

I'm so glad there's a thread for this. Couple quick things people might not notice:

- You can create a dimension with any word. I'm surprised there isn't a goon leaderboard going for Dickbutt.

- Pirate gets into the Dark Brotherhood for free, because he rolls like that.

- there is a hidden 3rd sprite for every class. Some of them are really awesome.

- The fairy will give useful advice any time you want. Her terrain advice is especially useful.

I worked on english script editing and QA for the English version, so feel free to ask me anything.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Top Gym Pumper posted:

Yeah you don't want to be fighting dudes head on with that dagger at the start. Use your dash to get away from anything you have trouble with and track down some nice items and equipment. Their extra movement options do work well with a bow. I think you might even be able to jump into mountains and then fire arrows or use a spear from them?

Sorry, guess you can't actually jump onto mountains, but you can at least put single hills between you and monsters. Thinking the perk that starts you with extra money might be a good one for no vault runs, so that you can buy some equipment in the first town you get to.

e: some strength up perks are helping with the harpies.

e2: agility and intellect are the fastest stats they grow on their own so probably don't put points into them at character creation.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 2, 2013

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

What is dark brotherhood exactly? I've never found them/a card yet.

Mazo Panku
Nov 30, 2013

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?

Social Animal posted:

What is dark brotherhood exactly? I've never found them/a card yet.

The Dark Brotherhood occasionally show up in a little room with a guard up front who tells you that you can't enter without a card. They have merchants and most likely all types of rad loot.

Pirates and kids under eight enter free!

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Best I've managed with Adventurer on Maniac 3 stars, death was very much my own fault though. Should've run, didn't, welp. The two points in Strength let you deal with early enemies up until you find or are able to buy some decent gear. Might sub in Survivor for that Vit+. Their high Agility would probably make it easier outside of Maniac mode, give you lots of free shots.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
ed: Huh, town NPCs have special messages if you use (unlockable spoiler)Hero's Zenura Weave before visiting :allears:
ed2: It seems Bracelets don't have durability, so they might be good targets for the Dimensional Vault. I've found a Bonus EXP one and one that gives +20% to Critical chance and Accuracy.
ed3: I think crits bypass the Demon Lord's barriers :o: Maybe even bypass accuracy/evasion? Crits own.

Top Gym Pumper posted:

e: some strength up perks are helping with the harpies.
Thanks for that, finally cleared an Adventurer run. Dragged the Demon Lord's stupid rear end into a house and had all the NPCs take out half his health while I pelted him with arrows and healed up, and when they all died he clawed his way through the wall rather than use the door which gave me more time to gain distance.

One cool thing (probably a little obvious) is if you have jump and party members, when you jump past someone you face away from the enemy so of course they'll hit your ally (you in the back) instead. Normally it's bad since you take extra damage from the back, but with allies you have them as a buffer. I used that when I needed to heal, to put the Demon Lord into chase mode rather than getting in my face and blocking my path off.

Speaking of the Demon Lord, does anyone know how/if Buddy Tablets work on him? Their description says they'll erase all of a target's menace and that they work on anyone? I haven't tried, though..

Mazo Panku posted:

The Dark Brotherhood occasionally show up in a little room with a guard up front who tells you that you can't enter without a card. They have merchants and most likely all types of rad loot.
I thought it might have to do with slaughtering innocents, but nope :v:

If you want one to unlock Pirate legit, I found one at the 1.3x EXP Dimension, AEZXFL, somewhere around 450km-525km, near the bottom of the map. The entrance is on the south side with a couple of mountains blocking the entrance. ed: 450km on KLJF1M has one too in the middle of the map. You only have to talk to the guard in order to unlock it, you don't need true access.

Funnily enough, not even the Demon Lord can damage the Dark Brotherhood's walls for more than 1.

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 2, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

maketakunai posted:

Speaking of the Demon Lord, does anyone know how/if Buddy Tablets work on him? Their description says they'll erase all of a target's menace and that they work on anyone? I haven't tried, though..

They sure do.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Note to self, Great Wall does not negate fire breath damage. :flame:

Untimely Brigand
Mar 28, 2007

maketakunai posted:

Funnily enough, not even the Demon Lord can damage the Dark Brotherhood's walls for more than 1.

I cut through the wall with this guy when he was around level 70:

Realized where I was, popped a save crystal, then one-shotted the Dark Brotherhood merchant and killed everyone else. Thought, "Alright, sweet loot!" and then took off. Then I stumbled across the Queen's cell, cut down the door, and walked towards her. I accidentally killed her when I hit Z to talk to her. Turns out even if Dark Brotherhood folks are bad, killing them raises your bounty level and sets the human world against you.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Don't die from losing HP because you were walking around mountains with no stamina, the death message is horrible.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
If you buy/find a dragon breath potion, thinking of using it on the demon lord, make sure you use the "throw" option and not the use option. That kinda sucked for me.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Devour or Fire posted:

Don't die from losing HP because you were walking around mountains with no stamina, the death message is horrible.

We spent quite a bit of time trying to make those as depressing as possible, hahah.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

How much of this game is a roguelike and how much is a JRPG?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Doubling around to something that was said earlier in the thread, apparently there's a +50% XP accessory available for completing the Queen's sidequest chain? Does anyone know how to actually trigger the quest? I thought that killing the endboss with her in the party would do it, but that didn't work.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Yay, finished my last class, Bard (Easy), which pretty much would've been impossible for me except I strolled past a Dark Brotherhood base and the front guard pretty much soloed the Demon Lord :toot:

Looks like the new campaigns are up:

quote:

Heroes all across the multiverse, gather and join Dimension H8LSXRGQ!
For players who want to join and adventure with other Heroes!
Journey with the King in Dimension HJDVKT!
Instead of disappearing with his castle, the King awaits you to the East! Raise your Charisma and recruit him for your adventure! As a special present, the enemies are a bit stronger than normal.
Powerful demons await in Dimension EJEBRH!
Right from the start enemies are double strength! Just how long can you survive!? Weapon and Armor also have a +50% chance to carry bonus effects.
In Dimension XFBDCNY money really is everything.
All that drops in this world is Silver! The only NPCs to appear are merchants! You can't survive in this world without Silver!
How often do these update? I'm an idiot etc.

ed: The H8LSXRGQ campaign has a holy item right near the start at 19km, if you've got Keys of Seals saved up.

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Dec 2, 2013

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
First conquerer of EJEBRH! :toot:

Naked heroes are silly.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Reiterpallasch posted:

Doubling around to something that was said earlier in the thread, apparently there's a +50% XP accessory available for completing the Queen's sidequest chain? Does anyone know how to actually trigger the quest? I thought that killing the endboss with her in the party would do it, but that didn't work.

You need to progress through everything she has to say to you or you won't get it. You should get the item if you see her special epilogue after beating the demon lord.

TOOT BOOT posted:

How much of this game is a roguelike and how much is a JRPG?

It's mostly a roguelike, I dunno. Depends on what you think the defining aspects of a JRPG are I guess. It doesn't have a big sweeping story with tons of cutscenes or anything.

e:

maketakunai posted:

Looks like the new campaigns are up:
How often do these update? OP says daily but the previous ones were up for at least a few days..

I've seen them update every day since the game came out. :shrug: They do always have a similar format. Gathering of heroes, one with easy access to a companion, and the last two have special gameplay conditions. Since launch the companion ones have cycled through Dosey, the Black Knight, the Queen, and today the King./

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 2, 2013

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Weird, I guess I just wasn't killing enough stuff after I found her. That can be remedied, I guess.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Top Gym Pumper posted:

You need to progress through everything she has to say to you or you won't get it. You should get the item if you see her special epilogue after bearing the demon lord.

It's got to be more than 50%, after trying it out. Combined with a crit-hitting hero build, I ended up killing a Dark Lord at about 700km at level 86(!).

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

If you have a spear,high agility and are attacking two enemies you can get super long combos, as they seem to trigger of both enemies each attack.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Just got an email from someone who may have already won the contest we're holding. I probably should not be surprised that it happened already. Going to have to investigate and make sure it's legit.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well, it actually appears that the world seeds listed on the daily dungeons are a lie--they must be special cased somewhere in the world generator, because using the same code doesn't give the same world now that midnight has ticked over. Eventually we should see profitable world seeds getting posted, though. I suppose the holy grail would be a world with first the Queen and then a Holy Weapon chamber close to the beginning, but unless there's a programmatic way to search through world seeds that's probably not going to happen anytime soon.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Prize for clearing King Victor's storyline: Victor's Crown - The Crown left behind by Victor in the previous dimension. Equipping this accessory will increase Attack Power and Force Power by 15% each. Not sure what to think since Shields are really powerful and if I'm not Shielding then I'm using either this +20% Crit./Accuracy bracelet or this massive EXP bonuses bracelet I have.

Top Gym Pumper posted:

I've seen them update every day since the game came out. :shrug: They do always have a similar format. Gathering of heroes, one with easy access to a companion, and the last two have special gameplay conditions. Since launch the companion ones have cycled through Dosey, the Black Knight, the Queen, and today the King./
You would do well to just disregard that question because I have no idea what I was thinking when I wrote that since I've only had the game for one day :psyduck: Playing around midnight screws with my mental count of how many days I've actually played, I guess.

Reiterpallasch posted:

Weird, I guess I just wasn't killing enough stuff after I found her. That can be remedied, I guess.
When I cleared Victor's, after his last message he very explicitly said "okay let's go kill the demon lord now" and got a buff to his stats. Maybe the others are similar?

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Dec 2, 2013

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I talked to both the queen and king 3 times before they stopped giving me chat notices and I got their endings. Maybe you chose one of the chat options that fails the storyline or something, I remember the queen having a "you're gross gently caress off" choice that probably would mess things up.

Also the queen's bonus is after her second chat session you get her arm if she dies and it works like a seal key.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Devour or Fire posted:

Also the queen's bonus is after her second chat session you get her arm if she dies and it works like a seal key.
That's pretty awesome, medieval biometric scanner circumvention. ..but before anyone else runs off to do this like I did, the Dimensional Vault won't let you deposit the arm :(

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Just coming in to sing my praise for this game.

I picked this up last night, and ended up playing for 3 hours straight. This game is ridiculously fun, and very casual at the same time. Definitely worth picking up.

I haven't won yet (on the easiest difficulty), though I'm still trying to learn the mechanics. Might stream some tonight if anyone's on the fence about buying it.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I got bread crusts from a chef cause I didn't have that much energy lost. Later on in the same playthrough, I got a "special bread crust combo" that restored double the amount.

I love this game the more I play it. :allears:

khrits
Dec 25, 2011

And when we leave, we need to put things back the way we found them. We're not slobs.

Grueling maniac done! Those purple dragons hit like a bitch, I could not figure out the secret boss. I also missed a holy weapon due to not having a key for the seals. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
This game is way too much fun. Furthest I've got was only like 200km but I'm slowly making progress each time.

Can't believe it's being sold for such a small price, easily worth way more than that.

• Locked thread