Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Emong posted:

So how would a bard go about finding party members that aren't your pet or that one soldier at the start?

One of the daily quests always puts a party member right at the start. Otherwise you just start walking and hope you run into one. The Queen is very common, I feel like I meet her multiple times per run. The Black Knight requires a special item to recruit Buddy Tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Where are these sealed doors to use my key on?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Scalding Coffee posted:

Where are these sealed doors to use my key on?

They're the doors to those small temples that have holy items that you can find sometimes.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The side panel descriptor for Zenura Weave is hilarious. "Your power and nudity are pushed to the limit."

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Color Printer posted:

They're the doors to those small temples that have holy items that you can find sometimes.

When you're near one, you'll get a "I sense a Holy Item ahead!" prompt. This means the temple is really close by, like within one scroll of the minimap. Also, the temples show up as blue on the minimap if you're using an Area Map or a NPC told you about the location.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Does stacking the pet perk do anything? I was kinda hoping for a massive squad of cats, but no luck there.

e: Maybe it makes the pet more durable? I can't really tell.

Emong fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Dec 6, 2013

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Emong posted:

Does stacking the pet perk do anything? I was kinda hoping for a massive squad of cats, but no luck there.

e: Maybe it makes the pet more durable? I can't really tell.

It increases the pet's starting max HP and stats for every stack.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

It's my day off, so come and watch me try to skirt death.

http://www.twitch.tv/iastsa

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Anyone found a world with quick and easy access to the Dark Brotherhood? Need some repair scrolls.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Got my first legit (non-vault) hard mode clear with the knight.

Also my first SSS rank. The description is just the cherry on top.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Got a Maniac clear myself on the daily world with the queen party member.

Managed to luck out and get a Longsword with some crazy modifiers on it (And also getting the Holy Bow), and proceeded to turn most of the game into mulch. Got to about 1.3 kilometers before the Demon Lord finally died from the beatings I was giving him. (I think I was up to a 95% crit chance and usually got three or four hits in per attack)

I guess all that's left is going for the secret boss then?

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
So last night I finished a 2,000 km run. What should I be focusing on next? Does Maniac mode or a 10,000 km give a different ending, or should I just be focusing on NPC endings?

The only other thing is the secret boss, which I have no clue where to even start with.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Miijhal posted:

The only other thing is the secret boss, which I have no clue where to even start with.
The End of the World Epilogue should've given you a huge hint. Not the "End of the World Bow", though. ...but you might have to search some worlds for what you're looking for. And a one-space-range weapon won't work.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
For those considering today's A Kingly Journey daily (and I strongly suggest that you do, for reasons): save yourself a restart, bring your mountain climbing gear.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Oh wow, the Dev Team really thinks of everything.

Getting backstory by pacifying the Demon Lord with Buddy Tablets and talking to her while she like that was pretty neat. Now I feel bad about my handful of clears :(

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Okay, got to the End of the World

I've got the bow obviously, but I apparently need a Holy Sword now? Can it be any weapon like that? And do I just Throw it into the Darkness to reveal the big-rear end dragon at any time?

Or will the Neith's bow work?

Alectai fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 7, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Alectai posted:

Okay, got to the End of the World

I've got the bow obviously, but I apparently need a Holy Sword now? Can it be any weapon like that? And do I just Throw it into the Darkness to reveal the big-rear end dragon at any time?

Or will the Neith's bow work?

Any holy weapon will do. I tried a holy shield and it didn't work.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Boom, Secret Boss down, it's actually pretty easy if you're taking it down as a Hunter...

Then again, I had a x9 Neith's Bow that had about 6 high level skills strapped to it, a big pile of Iron Arrows, and all of my Awakenings, and I was still scraping the bottom of the barrel by the end there. Took about 30 arrows at 1.5K damage a shot.

Alectai fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 8, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Victor is really good, apparently. I managed to get to 1100km by using the strategy of "run at things and let Victor instagib them with fireballs", until I was one-shot from full health by an Ultimate Dragon.

He was also the only party manager that lived for more than five seconds. My dog was instakilled by the demon lord the first time he showed up, and the Queen (who I found at one point) was also instakilled, but by some random dog in a dungeon.

Also, what's the deal with all the holy weapons having terrible durability?

Emong
May 31, 2011

I don't know if the Playism guys are still reading this thread, but I just bought "Phalanx" from the fortune-teller and the name changed into "Defender" in my skills list.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Probably to discourage you from enchanting the poo poo out of them and destroying planets. Holy Weapons have disgustingly good inherents, and usually a 100% crit rate (Or close to it)

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Alectai posted:

Boom, Secret Boss down, it's actually pretty easy if you're taking it down as a Hunter...
Now do your lil' chat with Sara, but this time, talk to her, poke the sleeping dragon while she's docile, then see what she thinks about your foolishness. :) But I think you need Victor to talk to her at all.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

You can talk to her with a buddy pill.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
Just bought the game today, it seems pretty fun so far. I found a Grand Blade and murdered a bunch of dogs (sadly I could never open any treasure chests because I always did only 1 damage per swing), then I died to the darkness while trying to climb mountains. Dimension DABUTT was pretty good up until that point.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Secret Boss spoilers

Miijhal posted:

You can talk to her with a buddy pill.
The very first time I tried, she merely said "...", and every time I've tried since then has been with Victor in my party (plus Buddy Tablet). I assumed you needed him to get her to open up since one of her options includes talking to Victor, but maybe not.. v:shobon:v

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Emong posted:

I don't know if the Playism guys are still reading this thread, but I just bought "Phalanx" from the fortune-teller and the name changed into "Defender" in my skills list.

Absolutely still reading! Thanks for the heads up. I'll report that as a bug. Thanks!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I found a holy weapon and decided to spend all my points on building inventory space to hold lots of buff/vendor items for them.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
So why do I get bounty on me for stunning Jade Forest members trying to kill me, or outright killing them? They came to me, they threatened to kill me, they deserve to die like the dogs they are. :colbert:

Also, am I the only one with the glitch where when you load up a save and press any directional key as a hunter, it'll just continuously fire arrows?

diddy kongs feet
Dec 11, 2012

wanna lick the dirt out between ur chimp toes
what's the deal with mercs that start in the castle? You can't possible have enough money at that point to recruit them.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

diddy kongs feet posted:

what's the deal with mercs that start in the castle? You can't possible have enough money at that point to recruit them.
There's a perk that starts you off at 2,500 silver per point. If you're referring to today's campaign, a single point should be enough to recruit him. If you don't have the perk yet, pick up some of the other ones first to unlock it.

diddy kongs feet
Dec 11, 2012

wanna lick the dirt out between ur chimp toes

maketakunai posted:

There's a perk that starts you off at 2,500 silver per point. If you're referring to today's campaign, a single point should be enough to recruit him. If you don't have the perk yet, pick up some of the other ones first to unlock it.

Okay makes sense now.

How about stats for bow users? I'm pumping agi for kiting but does stacking str pay off?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This game is fun :haw:

Finished Knight/Swordmaster on ezmode, are there progressively harder modes if I clear the next one up?

Pirates ahoy! :pirate:

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.
I believe it's "clear on Normal to unlock Hard, clear with all classes (on Normal/Hard?) to unlock Hell Mode". Not sure, though.

On that note, just got my final clear (Pirate, had two excellent runs before this that died to me being a goofball but finally got my act together (and a Crescent Axe)). Now to get Bard and Swordsman hard clears, and Adventurer... uh... I guess I can vault for him.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Man, my Adventurer got ridiculously overpowered by the end, though the starting bit up until that point sucks.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

diddy kongs feet posted:

Okay makes sense now.

How about stats for bow users? I'm pumping agi for kiting but does stacking str pay off?

Go full STR. AGI doesn't really pay off for Hunters until later in the game, and the very start is the point you will be having the most trouble with. If you're not able to kill enemies before they get to the same square as you you are going to have a really hard time early on.

Edit: also, holy hell, for how silly the game and its characters are, the character endings are really depressing/horrifyinig.

Sara, nooo. You were the best character.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 8, 2013

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
drat, I had some awesome gear and was way overleveled for how far along I was, tried to run away from the demon lord so I could try for the 2000km thing, and the loving retard ran into a little clearing inside a ring of mountains trying to get to me and got his rear end beat in about 4 turns by an elven hermit wizard or something :(

edit: the dark brotherhood guard had already knocked off all his barriers but I was being careful to not let the demon lord take much actual damage

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
For some reason, the game crashes if I alt-tab while it's in fullscreen mode. When I first figured this out, I figured it wasn't a big deal because I could just return to windowed mode and then alt-tab. But just now, I forgot and did it again. While I was about ~1000km in with a lucky haul of two Buddy Tablets from chests that I was going to stash in my vault. :sigh:

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

booksnake posted:

For some reason, the game crashes if I alt-tab while it's in fullscreen mode. When I first figured this out, I figured it wasn't a big deal because I could just return to windowed mode and then alt-tab. But just now, I forgot and did it again. While I was about ~1000km in with a lucky haul of two Buddy Tablets from chests that I was going to stash in my vault. :sigh:

If anyone else experiences this bug, please let me know. We just recently changed how fullscreen works for the English release, and I'm hoping this isn't a widespread bug.

Sorry to hear you lost those buddy tablets, booksnake. :(

victrix posted:

This game is fun :haw:

Finished Knight/Swordmaster on ezmode, are there progressively harder modes if I clear the next one up?

Pirates ahoy! :pirate:

Indeed there are! Difficulty is more than giving enemies more health and making them hit harder. It's definitely worth playing at higher difficulties (and, if you ask me, the only way to play the game once you're used to the systems!)

thetrin fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 9, 2013

Emong
May 31, 2011

Huh, it turns out that ghosts can give you that Potted Herb thing you get when you start on easy even if you're on a higher difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Imps are hell and worse than Demon Lord. Do they ever run out of rocks? It felt good to use two confusion scrolls on them and it turned into a sea of rocks.

• Locked thread