Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

I'm disappointed, goons.

All jokes aside, I bought this game last night and have been having a blast, but I have a couple questions:

1 - There are two (I think?) companions I've never met. So far I've only seen Dosey and Frieda. Is there anything special I need to do in order to find the others or are they just super rare?

2 - When I did the "reach the end of the world" achievement, the advice corner said there's another way to beat the darkness, but I'm lost as to what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Well now, the unique staff you get from a Holy Shrine is just a tad bit ridiculous. 1000 damage Force Flames at level 1 with no need to meditate because it gives permanent meditate 3.

President Ark posted:

Hit the left edge of the screen with an attack from a Holy weapon - either a spear or a bow or throwing one of the melee weapons at it.

Dang, so the text for that one ending was actually straight up telling you how to do it? I can't believe I didn't figure that out.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Is there a list of the localization tweaks? I only caught two mistakes, myself -- Frieda's title 王女 (oujo) being translated as Queen (oujo means princess, and is not to be confused with 女王, joou, which does mean queen) and the "a spirit saved me n times" victory text, which was probably tasukeru/tasukaru taking the meaning of "help; assist" rather than "save; rescue."

So yeah if you were wondering why it's weird that the living king's daughter is a queen (it was strange enough that I felt the need to check it out), it was a small translation mistake; she's princess Frieda (フリーダ王女) in the original.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

A spirit is friendly to you, which makes enemies attack it, and it heals you besides give you exp.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I found out that you can play the original Japanese version through steam (right click OWH, properties, language. Requires japanese locale) so I've been going through it, and the original message is "霊魂に(number)回助けられた" ("reikon ni ~kai tasukerareta," roughly, "spirits assisted me ~times"). Like I said, the translator probably got the text outside of context and interpreted "tasukeru" as "to save; rescue" instead of the more game-accurate "to help; assist" since the verb can have both these meanings. It's a bit of a nitpick, but the wording did strike me as odd in the English version. The English text also says "a spirit," which makes perfect sense if you got the sentence with zero context, but in the game there are many different spirits to be found around the place (Japanese tends to be stingy with pluralized nouns since they're kind of a pain; they're mostly used when context doesn't readily suggest them).

Sorry if I sound spergy or something, it's just really interesting to have a look at the insides of J-E translation.

Cryohazard posted:

So, uh, Steam Workshop! Any chance?

Failing that, which midi editor or soundfonts are the BGM tracks done in?

I've messed around trying to get the soundtrack, but it's compressed via WOLF's own RPG editor, and I couldn't find a way to unpack bgm.wolf in the game files. The tracks are all freeware sound made by Japanese artists, so it's possible to find them (look here (Steam forums) for a compilation of links made by a steam user). The sad part is that the website which had my favorite track, the one that plays on hard and very hard when the demon lord appears, seems to be dead.

If you can handle a bit of japanese, there's a full tracklist on the unofficial wiki's music page

As for workshopping, I don't know. Like I mentioned, the game is made with WOLF's own RPG editor software, which doesn't seem to have an english translation. It'd probably be a pain. Maybe OWH+ will be more flexible?

Speaking of which, thetrin, do you have an ETA for OWH+ or is it too far off still?

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 15, 2014

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Well, up to now the only class with which I've managed to beat Maniac Inhumane Odyssey is the Bard. I just haven't had a map yet that didn't dick me over in some way by starving me on weapons, shields (especially shields. gently caress not having a shield on inhumane) and even food at one point (it's fun going through a corrupted land into a volcano into another corrupted land into a prairie... that rolled the "all villages are infected" aspect, into a corrupted land). The bard just throws all need for luck out the window as you can just constantly Defend while even the weak-rear end Soldier D puts out good enough damage. Party members scale like crazy with levels, have no stupid durability to worry about, and will take hits like champs in a pinch. If you find a genuine party member, you've pretty much instantly won the game.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Is there any information out there on how stat grows work? I've just had the most amazing Knight run where, at the point where I died, I almost had as much stamina as I had HP, and more intelligence than vitality. I should have taken a screenshot because it was baffling: I had 150 HP and 100 ST.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Does anyone have a good dimension on hand for getting the super secret ending? I'm looking for a very early Frieda followed by at least two shrines before ~750km where corrupted lands become bullshit.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Wow, I can't believe it took me this long to figure out the beauty of the Throw option. I stupidly got myself into a situation where I had to eat a hit from an Ultimate Dragon, so I panicked and chucked a Crescent Axe at it. It did 20 times my critical hit damage :stare:

E-Tap posted:

QKC2LUGW = King Victor in big town at 15km mark, just SE of starting castle (InfestedKaren)

While scouting it, it looks to also have a holy shrine at 28km, there could be a possibility of a key of seals being sold from one of the merchants, if I'm right in that being a possible merchant item. Edit 2: When I went back to it, the game had a key of seals sitting just a few several squares directly south of the door, if only I could get that kind of luck again :psyduck:. That was posted in this list if you want to go through it yourself;

http://steamcommunity.com/app/266210/discussions/0/540734792588164034/

That's pretty nice, but I'm a bit of a stupid purist and, well, I never save, and I don't want to savescum. That's why I'm looking for a Frieda since she's a re-useable key and I absolutely need to find a holy weapon to get the secret ending. Can someone tell me whether or not it's overwritten by a party member ending?

I think I've found a good enough dimension right now. I found a Frieda, but still haven't found a shrine ~1000km in. The RNG might be taking a dumb on me again, but gave me great favor with two Absorbing enchantments on a chain mail which essentially made me invincible against anything that isn't a god damned dragon.

edit: This game needs a super-maniac mode that prevents saving and forces you into a random world on top of the normal maniac mode restrictions.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 16, 2014

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

When you say "super secret ending", are you talking about Killing the darkness, or is there another, even more secret one?

Yeah; kill the darkness on inhumane + maniac modes, I think it is.

Edit: nope, that's not it. Do I need the secret party member?.

Edit 2: nope. Maybe I'm just completely insane and there's no such ending.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 16, 2014

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Well, at this point I've beaten Maniac Inhumane Odyssey with every class except Force User, Hunter and Adventurer. I... I think I like this game too much.

Scalding Coffee posted:

They nerfed Frieda's Letter into uselessness since Steam release. I was still getting single-digit EXP per kill and barely getting multiple levels on anything. That was to be a bug. Speed Bracelet is king once again.

I learned that confusion is an incredible buff to a weapon and works on Demon Lord. Get it to proc once and Demon Lord is easily able to be tanked unless you somehow die in one hit. Might be best to move way if it meditates.

I don't really like confusion on melee weapons (there are much better mods to shoot for), but scrolls of confusion are ace for when you get yourself in a sticky situation with 2 or more enemies next to you. However, confusion and paralysis are extremely good on spears and bows since you can incapacitate enemies without having to roll the dice on whether or not you'll get hit if they survive.

As for Frieda's letter, I'm not terribly sure how it works exactly. I think it messes around with the experience gain formula, which is based on some weird black box comparison of your and the monster's stats. If you're a ton stronger than the monster you're fighting, you'll get minimum experience anyway. If you're fighting triangles or monsters at your level, you'll definitely see an effect.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

That's strange; I get wildly different exp yields based on what I'm fighting. If I run into corrupted lands particularly early, higher tier enemies with no prefix can give 60-120% on their own. Some yellow triangle prefixes give exponentially more experience than others because some of them give raw stats (Ancient, Wanted/Infamous/Villainous) while others only give secondary stats (Fleet-footed, Stiff-Necked).

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

thetrin posted:

The princess -> Queen change was actually okayed by Smoking Wolf. We had long email threads about this. It's weird, but he liked Queen more. Thanks for the input, though!

Such an ending does indeed exist. It was added in the update just before this last one. It's pretty awesome, too. Hopefully gets it and screencraps it at some point.

Yeah; earlier I poked around WOLF's blog trying to find info about OWH+ and he addresses the same question from a Japanese player who tried out the English version. He prefers it that way in his setting for one reason or another. He's pretty tight lipped about the new stuff in +, but I managed to get a bit of information on new stuff from blog posts written by people who tried out the game at BitSummit. There's going to be several new classes (two of which are Ninja, based on criticals and side/back attacks, and Tourist, a weird class that starts with 0 to all stats but gains a fair bit of experience whenever they enter a town), new game modes, more story content, new mechanics, unlockable merchants in the starting castle, :siren:hotkeys:siren: and some sort of data transfer option from normal to + so you don't have to unlock classes and the like all over again. Also, the max Life cap of 999 is lifted for the player and recruitable NPCs, but I'm not sure how this is meaningful without a big change in mechanics because the player isn't going to hit 999 HP unless they're a class with big HP growth and the game has been going on for six hours.

As for the ending, well, it would be possible to screencap it if we knew how to get it. Give us a hint!

Devour or Fire posted:

On the subject of localization, I noticed on the Japanese wiki that Dosey's name is Nemuri (ネムリ). Was this just to make it sound more western?

I'm assuming it's a localization thing, since some other stuff that would make zero sense in English was also modified (Frieda makes a pun about being a fujoshi, the female analogue to the otaku, which is written in Chinese characters as "rotten girl"). Nemuri means sleep (the noun), so I'm assuming it was changed to Dosey to make it sound Western (since all names in the game are Western-ish) while still referencing an aspect of her personality.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Yeah recruitable NPCs reach 999 pretty quickly, but for them it doesn't matter much because by the time they get there, their defense power has become so absurd that they take 50 damage from attacks that would one-shot the player.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

E-Tap posted:

Is there any distance requirement on maybe the y-axis that would prevent the "holy item thisaway ->" notice from coming up, or is it also possible for a map seed to generate no holy shrines (for the first 2000km at least)? I didn't see a single shrine on the whole map or any notices when I was going through today's armor peddler campaign in YCWQXH. Regardless, Force User is quite a night-vs-day experience when you can get a Staff of Prayers early. Once you can get that, Phalanx, and/or Heal, not much besides Ultimate Dragons or Phantom Knights can take you down so long as you don't do anything terribly stupid. It's a little surprising even on Grueling that once you get a few levels and prayer staff you can one-shot most everything besides Phantom Knights with just Force Flame. Hotkeys can't come soon enough it feels.

Also, meditated Lightning in one of those small 2 chest dungeons is hysterical if you're willing to risk detonating any bombs inside the chests. :science:

Nope; you'll get the message regardless of how far off you are from the shrine vertically, and yes, the map generator tends to be very feast or famine in many situations (the only exception being that there seems to be approximately three Frieda prisons per 100km once you get past ~1000km). I've gone 8 consecutive areas without a single town, and it's really fun when the starting area has a bunch of big towns with merchants carrying kick-rear end equipment that you can't afford.

As for Force Users, they're massive once they get going, but the early game is extremely rough going if you're not using the vault. They're probably the most luck-dependent class in the game because they instantly go from weak-ish to broken if you just find a Staff of Prayers.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Smoking WOLF wrote up a new blog post last night where he said that most playtesters felt that OWH+ is pretty complete and ready for release and hinted that he feels that way, too, so we might get a release date soon-ish. Meanwhile, I've found a pretty comprehensive list of changes in the + version. I won't list them all because there's a lot of stuff in there, but I figure I'll convey what I could find out about the three new classes. If there's anything more you guys want to know about +, feel free to ask.

Force Knight
-Couldn't find all that much about them. Supposedly a balanced force/physical user, they'll get special force spells that power up their normal physical attacks.
-Balanced stats.

Ninja
-Supposed to be a really strong class with sharp drawbacks like the Hero, but according to feedback they were way too weak and WOLF was in the process of tuning them.
-Harder for enemies to detect, has the lockpick skill, and learns a bunch of special skills that consume max LIFE and max ST.
-Apparently these special skills range from creating throwing knifes to laying down traps and performing generic powerful attacks.

Tourist
-Replaces the adventurer as the "eh, I don't really want to win" class
-All stats start at 0.
-They have a "special mission" to write up a travel journal, and visiting any town will give them a fair bit of EXP.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

I don't suppose anyone got any tips for starting out as an Adventurer on Inhumane Maniac mode?
I've noticed that the character models on the main screen get more "solid" if you reach The End with them, so I'm trying to do that with all the classes to see if it has a connection to another secret ending. However, Adventurer is turning out to be quite difficult.

The fact that Agility doesn't give you extra movement turns in Maniac Mode seems to be the main problem, as it makes it way harder for hit-and-run tactics and running away.

Adventurer is actually somewhat decent on Maniac. Just remember that casting Dash is always safe since it always instantly gives you a turn on Maniac.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

I think it's meant to be a teaser for OWH+, which should be out this Winter if WOLF's latest blog post is to be believed.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

For those who are interested, WOLF just released an early access version of OWH+ and gave a bit of an ETA for the English version of Spring~Summer 2015. On Playism's Japanese webpage, you can buy into the early access to the Steam release for 700 yen (~6.40 USD), which includes an early access version of the game as well as a Steam key when it gets released. The Steam release of OWH+ should cost some 6~7 USD, so if you're definitely planning to buy Plus on release, you don't lose anything by buying early.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

A lot. My Japanese isn't superb so it'd be nice if someone more proficient could translate it, but if no one does I might step up and do it myself. This page has the full list (starting from the 片道勇者プラスの新要素 section).

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

It's supposed to be Force Knight, a class that combines decent melee abilities with Force Spells that act as buffs (also something about being able to see 1 space through walls, I'll expand on it when I get a chance to play). Also one of the portraits has this sick 'stache:

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

I had some time to play this morning and got lucky enough to get one of the new recruitable allies, Albert. He's a timespace traveler who uses some sort of weird gun that shoots magic, and pierces two tiles in front of you with his attacks. After you complete all his events, he gives you a hand-made tech gun that works like a bow but doesn't use arrows, checks your Willpower stat for damage, and pierces several tiles in front of you. At the end of the game, you get his actual, somewhat stronger gun.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

I haven't unlocked the class yet either; maybe it was just an early idea that was expanded to all classes.

Some of the new perks are pretty cool. One of them reduces your equipment burn rate by 8% each (it's pretty important, since item mods were overhauled so that the majority of them increase degradation rate) and another gives +2% chance to hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Just finished my first new class unlocking quest -- for the Force Knight. It's a strange affair; you take the quest, in any world, from a NPC that you can add to the starting castle, and after accepting it the Demon King just fucks off for the entire game. The clock that usually predicts the Demon King's appearance now spawns dark knight bases instead (the dark knights stole the soul of the Force Knights and fragmented it because uuuh they're always up to no good ya know how them black knights are). You need to find four bases and free the imprisoned soul fragment inside, the last base spawning the game's boss, named King of the black knights. His HP is on par with the Demon King's, but he annoyingly casts the Lightning spell a lot, which you can't evade if you're melee unlike the Demon King's flame wave spell (Lightning was changed from its pretty broken state in vanilla to a 3x3 square in front of the caster).

It's an interesting change of scenery; I'm looking forward to seeing the other classes' quests.

• Locked thread