Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
Hey all! Nayan from Playism here.

I'm so glad there's a thread for this. Couple quick things people might not notice:

- You can create a dimension with any word. I'm surprised there isn't a goon leaderboard going for Dickbutt.

- Pirate gets into the Dark Brotherhood for free, because he rolls like that.

- there is a hidden 3rd sprite for every class. Some of them are really awesome.

- The fairy will give useful advice any time you want. Her terrain advice is especially useful.

I worked on english script editing and QA for the English version, so feel free to ask me anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Devour or Fire posted:

Don't die from losing HP because you were walking around mountains with no stamina, the death message is horrible.

We spent quite a bit of time trying to make those as depressing as possible, hahah.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Just got an email from someone who may have already won the contest we're holding. I probably should not be surprised that it happened already. Going to have to investigate and make sure it's legit.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Top Gym Pumper posted:

Step it up Playism

I'm going to kick our admin in the head when I get into the office. There is no reason why the site should be down. I'll be sure to post in the thread when the site is back up.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

nucleicmaxid posted:

Is the Playism site down for anyone else?

Yeah, it's down at the moment. I just talked to our IT dept, and it looks like reddit basically crashed the site with traffic. One of our other games, Influent, just got a huge insurgence of interest on reddit, and the traffic crashed our server. IT is working on it right now.

Sorry guys. :(

I'll definitely let you know when it's back up.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Good news! Playism is back up. So, if you were trying to con some sweet old lady into spending her life savings on copies of One Way Heroics for all of SA, let the swindling begin!

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Top Gym Pumper posted:

btw thetrin the name of the critical up perk isn't translated in the online status display. :)

Nice catch. I'll look into it. Thanks.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

maketakunai posted:

If you're looking into cleaning up quirks, here's some I found:

Really though, you guys did a great job on the translation, I love reading the epilogues and death messages :3: I wish the fairy had a ton more questions to ask the player, though.

Thanks for the pointers, and the kind words! The amount of text is insane (clocking in at roughly 60,000 words). It's been total hell to localize and test the game with just one person doing the majority of it (my coworker, Josh). I helped with the QA at some level, and with editing the script, but it's a LOT for just two people to do, especially when there are so many variables that show up.

It was all worth it, though. I'm glad you guys are enjoying the game. :)

We're going to be releasing a new version soon that fixes a few issues, and you'll just need to download the new build from your Playism Account page.

zanmatto posted:

I cleared the dimension DICKBUTT. I was apparently the first person to try it, amazingly enough

This still floors me. I posted about it a couple pages back, and was truly surprised no one had tried it.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

maketakunai posted:

Out of curiosity, there aren't any "password"/easter egg dimensions, are there? Like a developer-defined "if you punch in PLAYISM you get the Queen and King by 100km". :tinfoil:

To be honest, it's a little tedious typing in specific Dimension names using the cursor keyboard, so I don't really do anything besides Random. It'd be great if it could support keyboard input like the character name page, but I suppose that'd be up to Wolf to support.

Keyboard input was actually something we requested from WOLF early on, but he explained that unfortunately, it would completely break the game as its currently built (the naming system used phonetic kana originally, and the input system was designed to avoid glitches when someone typed an incomplete kana. When it was switched to English, it makes less sense to do it that way, but he would have to rebuild certain things to implement keyboard support).

It's something I'm sure he'd like to revisit at a later date.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Delamore posted:

Is there any way to purchase if your card has been locked out of paypal?

If you have a bank account attached to Paypal, you can use that too.

Unfortunately we only use Paypal right now, but we're actually working to add more payment methods to Playism as soon as possible.

Also, big news! One Way Heroics is up on Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=198746495 :toot:

Just like other Playism titles, users that purchased One Way Heroics on Playism will receive a free Steam key once the game is available on Steam! Please help get it up on Steam :D

Panzeh posted:

The pirate damage is really ridiculous. If you find equipment that helps survivability he can really dominate a game.

Pirate is my go-to class in the game. He's great for getting through walls when you need an escape route.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Top Gym Pumper posted:

So if recruitable characters end up with specific descriptors, such as Naughty, some of their dialog changes. :lol:

Hahah, wait until you meet one of the more risque party members! He's a riot. He doesn't even need the Naughty modifier!

maketakunai posted:

"The Darkness is relentless in its pursuit and nothing can stop it!"? False advertising, I won't stand for th-- wait, you already have my money :(

This one little secret about the Darkness that Big Indie doesn't want you to know.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Unless the payment plan changed today, I had no problem buying the game without needing that bastard Paypal.

Got to the boss the first time and got surrounded by a bunch of bandits and a wandering monster. He was maybe 25%. There will be more Cuckolding.

Some PETA people got pissy and I got flagged with a bounty. I guess they put a number on my head, leading to a guard killing one and coming right at me like a tank. I got charged with killing two innocents who hit me first.

I once threw a sword instead of dropping it, and it hit a merchant in the head. The entire town lynched me. I fear humans more than monsters.

thetrin fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 4, 2013

thetrin
May 4, 2009

iastudent posted:

Man, I really want to make Loyal Pet work but I keep losing my friend in new and horrible ways every time. :smith:

E: By the way, thetrin, congrats on getting Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae greenlit. Now we just need Heroics to follow suit!

Thanks! We also got EF-12 greenlit at the same time!

I think One Way Heroics is going to be just fine. We just have to make sure we keep nagging people about voting. :)

thetrin fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 5, 2013

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Emong posted:

I don't know if the Playism guys are still reading this thread, but I just bought "Phalanx" from the fortune-teller and the name changed into "Defender" in my skills list.

Absolutely still reading! Thanks for the heads up. I'll report that as a bug. Thanks!

thetrin
May 4, 2009

booksnake posted:

For some reason, the game crashes if I alt-tab while it's in fullscreen mode. When I first figured this out, I figured it wasn't a big deal because I could just return to windowed mode and then alt-tab. But just now, I forgot and did it again. While I was about ~1000km in with a lucky haul of two Buddy Tablets from chests that I was going to stash in my vault. :sigh:

If anyone else experiences this bug, please let me know. We just recently changed how fullscreen works for the English release, and I'm hoping this isn't a widespread bug.

Sorry to hear you lost those buddy tablets, booksnake. :(

victrix posted:

This game is fun :haw:

Finished Knight/Swordmaster on ezmode, are there progressively harder modes if I clear the next one up?

Pirates ahoy! :pirate:

Indeed there are! Difficulty is more than giving enemies more health and making them hit harder. It's definitely worth playing at higher difficulties (and, if you ask me, the only way to play the game once you're used to the systems!)

thetrin fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 9, 2013

thetrin
May 4, 2009

victrix posted:

Is there any back and forth with the dev on this game? Is he still actively developing it?

It'd be nice if we could assign skills to hotkeys directly. I appreciate the streamlined controls greatly, but it's a little cludgy to hit up the menu every time you want to lockpick/bash/etc.

edit: And how the heck do I get a Bard off the ground. I have yet to find even a single npc who will join me, and they just suck rear end in combat, even bringing along stuff from my vault.

We are actively working with Smoking Wolf on the game. Right now the current version is just squashing bugs and fixing localization errors.

As far as adding features, Smoking Wolf is actually working on One Way Heroics+ right now, which adds content and improvements to the UI. The release for OWH+ is a ways out, though. (Hotkeys are among the big changes)

Speaking of which, we uploaded a new build this morning, so if you go to your Playism account page, you should see "Windows Update available" in red if you have yet to download it. (NOTE: the auto-patching system in the game will not update you to this version of the game)

Mehuyael posted:

Oh, no wonder I recognized the name, they published La-Mulana. I guess they know what to publish.

We pride ourselves on the content we put out. :)

Mehuyael posted:

I heard about this game a few days ago, and instantly decided to buy it. But right now I'm waiting for it to come out on Steam in case there's any achievements I won't want to do twice. If it doesn't look like it'll get greenlit I'll buy it from Playism.

We're only 6 days into our GL campaign, and we're 95% to the Top 100. I have faith that we'll get greenlit pretty quickly, much like EF-12 and Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae in the last batch.

thetrin fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 10, 2013

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Reiterpallasch posted:

Do you have patchnotes for this latest change?

It's just text bug fixes. Biggest change was a bug where the "overweight" text remained even when the player was under the weight threshold.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

iastudent posted:

Is there a way to play the update while maintaining the playtime counter from playing the previous version? I love little things like that in games.

I don't think so. Sorry. :(

I would love to be able to get the auto-patch system working with the English version, but there are a lot of variables that might break by fixing one thing. One more thing for the bucket list!

victrix posted:

Spoilers!

Poor girl :( Also got to talk to the Demon Lord. Poor dude :(

At least she got to come with me as a faithful puppy :unsmith:

Looks like I still have the TRUE POWER of evil to discover. I hope it has five forms and five different boss musics.

That whole segment of the ending bums me out every time I play it. Hell, it bummed me out when I was editing the text. It's bittersweet. :smith:

thetrin fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 10, 2013

thetrin
May 4, 2009

victrix posted:

This game would be brilliant on mobile, is there any hope for a 3ds or vita release?

edit:

:haw:

Fun fact: We wrote this loading screen from scratch especially for the English version, to compensate for the fact that the dimension names are often impossible to pronounce. (The Japanese dimension names were all phonetic kana)

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is there a manual?

I look forward to any encounters with the Jade guys. They are a boon to advancing.

There isn't, but there's already a Japanese wiki. Hopefully an EN wiki gets off the ground at some point. There's a ton to discover under the hood.

Reiterpallasch posted:

I can't figure out how to actually make this work. I tried chucking a buddy tablet at her, then aggroing the dragon with a Holy Weapon. Am I on the wrong track, or is it a question of ordering?

You're really close.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Rebooting the computer seems to fix some issues with the game. I now get HP for my efforts and more classes/perks were unlocked from the start.

Certainly worth the bucks.

We'll let the developer know that this bug exists. Thanks.

thetrin fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Dec 17, 2013

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

There will be lots more stuff, like hotkeys, when they make a OWH+ patch.
Did you make it to the end of the world? Get going, skippy.

OWH+ has ballooned in size since work started. It's going to be a separate release.

By the way, I have 100 Playism coupon codes I want to give out to SA. Each coupon is good for a free copy of OWH, and you're welcome to pass the coupon off to anyone you'd like! What would be the best way to post them? Just dump them in a post?

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

What's this? Am I supposed to get HP bonuses or something with each playthrough + death?

HP = Hero Points. The points you spend on perks, new classes and Dimensional Vault slots. It occurs to me now how confusing that can be...

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Hey all!

Sorry, but I kind of disappeared over the holiday break. Awesome to see the thread is still so healthy. :)

iastudent posted:

thetrin or whoever, someone had a question over in the Video Game Deals thread of C&D regarding OWH in the Indie Royale bundle:

The bundle is over now, so I suppose my answer doesn't matter anymore, but the Debut Bundles that Indie Royale does are designed as such that those who purchase the title through the bundle would get a key.

Now that I'm back from break, I'll be checking the thread more often.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

victrix posted:

Congrats, well deserved :neckbeard:

Also if I might be possibly rude, I'd recommend a new splash screen for it. The current one makes it look like some sort of anime dating sim, which it very much is not :P

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/684841644765284685/EE34D78F069152B501618883567BBE6B435AABEE/

There's a lot of people who will discount anything with a giant anime girl on the cover, even if that's unfair.

(although maybe there are more people who will jump to click on one, in which case ignore me)

Would you believe me if I told you that we very purposefully prominently displayed Dosey on the Greenlight icon image? It obviously worked! In all honesty, we knew an image like that would get people to click, and once they had, the gameplay would stand on its own and get votes. It really does work, especially on Greenlight.

maketakunai posted:

Hooray, congrats thetrin and the rest of PLAYISM :toot:

Thank you! I just walked into the office about an hour ago, and I was happy to be the first one to break the news to the rest of the department. Lots of happiness to go around.

Smoking WOLF has said that he's already got ideas for over 50 achievements for One Way Heroics Steam. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he does with it.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Devour or Fire posted:

Really cool, congrats. You should have used the male hero picture from the completion screen to sell the game though, probably would have gotten greenlit like a month ago.

It was only on Greenlight for 3 weeks, so we don't regret our choice. :)

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is OWH+ going to be the release or will it be the same game? Will saves transfer over to Steam?

Plus is going to be a separate game. There's just so much content that's going to be added to it that it has to be.

As far as save transfers go, I can't really speak to that, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was a high priority for Smoking WOLF.

maketakunai posted:

..oh dear. I was going to mention "man, I'm just imagining all the achievements the game could have" in the earlier post but didn't since I figured the answer was obviously going to be "sorry, no achievements".

You just made my day :swoon:

We'd never not do achievements. Hell, we'll be doing cards and badges as well. We're jumping headlong into every crazy thing Steam has that feels appropriate for the game (that goes for our other releases, as well).

thetrin fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 9, 2014

thetrin
May 4, 2009

VladTheEater posted:

Will people who own OWH receive any kind of discount on OWH+ similar how some other Steam titles work (such as Blood Bowl Legendary -> Blood Bowl Chaos)?

We've been throwing around the concept of doing a discount for OWH+ if you already own OWH, but we're still not sure how we're going to do it. We want to show our appreciation to those that gave us a chance when no one knew a thing about the game. :)

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Jesto posted:

Steam can set it up so that if someone has Game A in their library, game B is at a permanent % off. I think so, anyhow. Could just handle it that way.

That solves the issue with Steam, but we still need to figure out how we're going to do it for Playism. It's not impossible, but we're juggling around a bunch of possible solutions currently. Rest assured, though, that we do intend to give something back to those that bought the original OWH before OWH+ released.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Is this happening to everyone? I didn't encounter this problem when I was playing the newest version on my own machine. We'll definitely talk to the developer and make sure it's fixed in the next release.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Hey all! Sorry about the long wait. The Steam Coming Soon page for OWH is up!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/266210/

The Steam version includes a new secret ending, steam achievements, cloud saves, badges and cards.

The DRM-free version of the build with the new secret ending will also go up on Playism.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Naar posted:

Will you be giving out Steam keys to people who got it through a bundle (e.g. Indie Royale)?

Yep. We're working with Indie Royale right now to make sure everyone gets their key.

Mordecai posted:

Can we import our save?

You will, but you won't get the achievements you would have unlocked before that save was imported.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Hey all!

We put up a new Steam update today, and there are a couple small changes.

- Berserk: Berserk skill duration has been extended from 12 turns to 15 turns.

- Adventurer's Journal: In your journal of attempts, completing a run successfully is now written in green text instead of red.

- Localization: Various localization adjustments as per player feedback.

Also, Smoking WOLF showed off One Way Heroics Plus to the public at last weekend's BitSummit event in Kyoto. There's a lot of stuff still to be revealed, but he showed off a couple key new features that I'm personally super excited about:

You can now use points to upgrade the starting castle with additional rooms and NPCs that might make runs easier. He also showed off the new hotkey system that you can use to assign skills and items to. There are also a couple really awesome new classes that he added to Plus that I can't wait to show everyone. :dance:

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Heavy neutrino posted:

Is there a list of the localization tweaks? I only caught two mistakes, myself -- Frieda's title 王女 (oujo) being translated as Queen (oujo means princess, and is not to be confused with 女王, joou, which does mean queen) and the "a spirit saved me n times" victory text, which was probably tasukeru/tasukaru taking the meaning of "help; assist" rather than "save; rescue."

So yeah if you were wondering why it's weird that the living king's daughter is a queen (it was strange enough that I felt the need to check it out), it was a small translation mistake; she's princess Frieda (フリーダ王女) in the original.

The princess -> Queen change was actually okayed by Smoking Wolf. We had long email threads about this. It's weird, but he liked Queen more. Thanks for the input, though!

Heavy neutrino posted:

Yeah; kill the darkness on inhumane + maniac modes, I think it is.

Edit: nope, that's not it. Do I need the secret party member?.

Edit 2: nope. Maybe I'm just completely insane and there's no such ending.

Such an ending does indeed exist. It was added in the update just before this last one. It's pretty awesome, too. Hopefully gets it and screencraps it at some point.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Speaking of which, thetrin, do you have an ETA for OWH+ or is it too far off still?

No ETA at the moment, sorry! Smoking Wolf is still adding all kinds of new stuff to the game, and because it's mostly a hobby endeavour for him, he's adding whatever pops into his head. I'm still not entirely sure when he'll stop adding stuff.

That said, Plus was playable at BitSummit, so a lot of what I listed in my post on the last page is already implemented and playable.

Korak posted:

Adding perks to the castle and other fun things is a really smart way to go. Keep more of the gamey parts in game. :)

I think I finally got my games worth of play on the game as it currently stands where I probably won't play every day. 45 hours! Pretty drat incredible for the price! Y'all really did an amazing job.

Thank you! I came in at the tail end of localization, but my coworker and Smoking Wolf did a fantastic job, for sure. We're really excited for Plus.

thetrin fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 18, 2014

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Heavy neutrino posted:

I'm assuming it's a localization thing, since some other stuff that would make zero sense in English was also modified (Frieda makes a pun about being a fujoshi, the female analogue to the otaku, which is written in Chinese characters as "rotten girl"). Nemuri means sleep (the noun), so I'm assuming it was changed to Dosey to make it sound Western (since all names in the game are Western-ish) while still referencing an aspect of her personality.

Yep, it was a westernization. We wanted the names to still hold their double meaning in English, and calling Dosey Nemuri would have only made sense to about 1% of the people playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Hey all!

Just wanted to let you all know that there was a quick Ver. 1.75 update to One Way Heroics that includes the following changes:

- Fixed a bug where if multiple spear attacks occurred, two additional attacks would follow each one.
- Increased the drop rate for Slender Spear by 1.5x.
- Increased the chance that Slender Spear will appear in shops by 1.2x.
- The “My First Vault” and “My First Perk” Steam achievements will now automatically be obtained upon starting the game if you meet the prerequisites. This was done because if you copied save data from other DRM-free versions for instance, there was a chance that these two achievements would become unobtainable.
- Added a little more content to Fairy Iris’ guide.
- Added content to the Readme; now includes some of the FAQ.

If you're playing the Playism version, you can update to this new version by going to your account page on Playism and redownload the game (don't forget to move your saves over!) If you're playing the Steam version, the game should upload automatically.

• Locked thread