Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Game is incredibly charming, buy the poo poo out of it.

Geokinesis posted:

Hmm had a first run but I'm not really sure how to do better, I died to some tough imp that just out damaged me so hard.

Monsters can have modifiers on them that make them much tougher, if you see stuff like Ultimate Imp stay the hell away. Some universe codes are similarly rough because they might just happen to roll up a bunch of strong stuff really quickly.

Once you build up your chest a bit you'll be much better placed to deal with such stuff early, it's just a matter of building some power up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

junan_paalla posted:

I found one in a hard-as-poo poo to open red chest.

The most reliable way I've found to get chests open, aside from 'just use an axe', is to stack crit chance on the goddess statues. Crits seem to ignore armor completely, so they'll utterly carve through chests and walls in no time.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

iastudent posted:

Something that isn't too clear to me is whether or not there's any drawbacks to trading in levels at the goddess statues for stat increases, given that your other stats remain the same.

There's a title at the end of the game for not doing it. That's about it. You also can't do it at all if you turn Maniac Mode on.

e: Finding Queen Freida and completing her plotline gives a crazy reward - her letter is a +50% XP accessory. I'm 171km and level 32 on this hero.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 2, 2013

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Top Gym Pumper posted:

You need to progress through everything she has to say to you or you won't get it. You should get the item if you see her special epilogue after bearing the demon lord.

It's got to be more than 50%, after trying it out. Combined with a crit-hitting hero build, I ended up killing a Dark Lord at about 700km at level 86(!).

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

A Durability Attrition of >100% still won't stop you losing a little durability, but I do mean a little.

This thing loses 1 durability every 12 attacks or so:

Sturdy Panty's Sword +9 posted:

Weight 4, Attack 22 x 1.4
Durability Attrition -110%
Crit Chance +90%
Accuracy +25%

Also, if you keep reading stuff on a level 9+ sword you'll just increase variables already on it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is the basic idea to save a good sword, pull it out at the beginning, apply sharpening stones and scrolls to it, and then save it at the end. Repeat until it's awesome?

That's what I've been doing, banking anything else remotely interesting along the way. Getting some 'good but light' equipment in there can really help boost a character, too. And bracelets should always be saved, they're just too good not to cycle through the vault.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

Might be good to have something of a ranged attack then.

That's not what he means - just move so that they're not in a straight line to you and they'll approach instead. If you're set up like this:

code:
..I
X..
then just move right once. Since the imp doesn't have a diagonal or straight line to you he'll walk up next to you instead, letting you beat him up. When you're cracking open a fault, do so at a space where the imp can't directly target you and they'll walk right into your sword instead.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

The vault holds your items and deleting your saves would prevent building up an armory and going for an expanded end of the world run with super gear.

I've never saved my game once and my dimensional vault is stocked. Saving has no effect on it. It's just there to pause runs in progress, or do some odd savescumming with reloading, I guess.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

You might as well take something that'll improve Crit Chance instead of Master of Unlocking, then prop it up with a couple goddess levels. Since crits pierce defence they'll hammer through chests like no-one's business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

My typical sword was a Durability Retention +200% or so Panty's Sword. That thing lasted essentially forever.

I don't know why anyone would need to abuse saves, though, OWH is really lite and easy.

• Locked thread