Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
One pretty simple/powerful no-vault build for a quick easy-mode win is basically what Social Animal said; 5x Pro-Wrestler but Swordsman instead, unequip your weapon ASAP and just punch everything, put all your levels in strength/agility -- you'll hit like a truck and have huge combo hit rates. If you can, try to get a Bracelet of Resolve or similar to buff your crit chance. When you run into the Demon Lord, (edit:) spam your Awakenings then once they're gone, hit Berserk and take him apart with multiple 300+ damage punches per turn.

If you find one, PC Ghosts can tank the Demon Lord while chipping away at his barriers, you can also kite him into towns and have the NPCs do the same. A shame there's no special achievement for having an NPC deal the finishing blow to him :v:

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
I'm having troubles getting Adventurer to work (especially without Vault). Treasure Radar seems not particularly useful since you can see all the dungeons/towns on the map anyways (I think?), invisible chests don't show up without treasure maps, and alcoves with chests are pretty rare.. Improved lockpicking seems like it's just replaced by axes/crit smashing things to bits? I can't even really get past the early game since Dagger and Traveler's Clothes are pretty crap. Should I just find a bow and use Dash/Jump to kite or..? It might just be that I'm getting some bad random dimensions since unless I pump Agility perks I keep running into Harpies that run three spaces or chew me up for 30x2 per turn.

The Mimic posted:

Then the second time he appeared I used 4x Awakening and Berserk and slew him. Thing to keep in mind that may have been obvious: Berserk still runs out at the usual speed when Awakening is activated, so don't berserk until after you're out of them.
True, this'll probably be better. Berserk lasts 15 rounds, so you'll lose 3 or 4 turns casting Awakening while Berserkering, and you heal every round while Berserk which is pointless while Awakening is on, plus if you don't manage to kill the Demon Lord with those 12 turns you're gonna get your Life/Stamina reduced to a third and have to spend all your time healing.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
ed: Huh, town NPCs have special messages if you use (unlockable spoiler)Hero's Zenura Weave before visiting :allears:
ed2: It seems Bracelets don't have durability, so they might be good targets for the Dimensional Vault. I've found a Bonus EXP one and one that gives +20% to Critical chance and Accuracy.
ed3: I think crits bypass the Demon Lord's barriers :o: Maybe even bypass accuracy/evasion? Crits own.

Top Gym Pumper posted:

e: some strength up perks are helping with the harpies.
Thanks for that, finally cleared an Adventurer run. Dragged the Demon Lord's stupid rear end into a house and had all the NPCs take out half his health while I pelted him with arrows and healed up, and when they all died he clawed his way through the wall rather than use the door which gave me more time to gain distance.

One cool thing (probably a little obvious) is if you have jump and party members, when you jump past someone you face away from the enemy so of course they'll hit your ally (you in the back) instead. Normally it's bad since you take extra damage from the back, but with allies you have them as a buffer. I used that when I needed to heal, to put the Demon Lord into chase mode rather than getting in my face and blocking my path off.

Speaking of the Demon Lord, does anyone know how/if Buddy Tablets work on him? Their description says they'll erase all of a target's menace and that they work on anyone? I haven't tried, though..

Mazo Panku posted:

The Dark Brotherhood occasionally show up in a little room with a guard up front who tells you that you can't enter without a card. They have merchants and most likely all types of rad loot.
I thought it might have to do with slaughtering innocents, but nope :v:

If you want one to unlock Pirate legit, I found one at the 1.3x EXP Dimension, AEZXFL, somewhere around 450km-525km, near the bottom of the map. The entrance is on the south side with a couple of mountains blocking the entrance. ed: 450km on KLJF1M has one too in the middle of the map. You only have to talk to the guard in order to unlock it, you don't need true access.

Funnily enough, not even the Demon Lord can damage the Dark Brotherhood's walls for more than 1.

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 2, 2013

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Yay, finished my last class, Bard (Easy), which pretty much would've been impossible for me except I strolled past a Dark Brotherhood base and the front guard pretty much soloed the Demon Lord :toot:

Looks like the new campaigns are up:

quote:

Heroes all across the multiverse, gather and join Dimension H8LSXRGQ!
For players who want to join and adventure with other Heroes!
Journey with the King in Dimension HJDVKT!
Instead of disappearing with his castle, the King awaits you to the East! Raise your Charisma and recruit him for your adventure! As a special present, the enemies are a bit stronger than normal.
Powerful demons await in Dimension EJEBRH!
Right from the start enemies are double strength! Just how long can you survive!? Weapon and Armor also have a +50% chance to carry bonus effects.
In Dimension XFBDCNY money really is everything.
All that drops in this world is Silver! The only NPCs to appear are merchants! You can't survive in this world without Silver!
How often do these update? I'm an idiot etc.

ed: The H8LSXRGQ campaign has a holy item right near the start at 19km, if you've got Keys of Seals saved up.

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Dec 2, 2013

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Prize for clearing King Victor's storyline: Victor's Crown - The Crown left behind by Victor in the previous dimension. Equipping this accessory will increase Attack Power and Force Power by 15% each. Not sure what to think since Shields are really powerful and if I'm not Shielding then I'm using either this +20% Crit./Accuracy bracelet or this massive EXP bonuses bracelet I have.

Top Gym Pumper posted:

I've seen them update every day since the game came out. :shrug: They do always have a similar format. Gathering of heroes, one with easy access to a companion, and the last two have special gameplay conditions. Since launch the companion ones have cycled through Dosey, the Black Knight, the Queen, and today the King./
You would do well to just disregard that question because I have no idea what I was thinking when I wrote that since I've only had the game for one day :psyduck: Playing around midnight screws with my mental count of how many days I've actually played, I guess.

Reiterpallasch posted:

Weird, I guess I just wasn't killing enough stuff after I found her. That can be remedied, I guess.
When I cleared Victor's, after his last message he very explicitly said "okay let's go kill the demon lord now" and got a buff to his stats. Maybe the others are similar?

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Dec 2, 2013

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Devour or Fire posted:

Also the queen's bonus is after her second chat session you get her arm if she dies and it works like a seal key.
That's pretty awesome, medieval biometric scanner circumvention. ..but before anyone else runs off to do this like I did, the Dimensional Vault won't let you deposit the arm :(

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
The final class is so broken, what the hell. "576 enemies defeated, beat 94% of enemies without taking damage".

khrits posted:

Grueling maniac done! Those purple dragons hit like a bitch, I could not figure out the secret boss.
Here's a rather spoilery hint on where to start your search, in the form of a post-game results screen which I would totally post outside of a response to this except it's got at least 3 major spoilery hints in it :(

Hint to go with the picture: The weapon in that screenshot doesn't actually work for the secret boss (I think?), but if you acquire it, the epilogue essentially tells you how to do it..

Full spoiler: The Holy Weapon "Neith's Holy Bow" fired into the center of the Darkness seems to trigger the fight.. though I haven't beaten it yet.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Saved the world for real! Got Sara's Epilogue, too. :toot: At least, on Normal. Now to step up my game and maybe try a class that's not God Mode. Maybe Force User, since I got that Meditation +1 item from this clear..

thetrin posted:

Just got an email from someone who may have already won the contest [to defeat the Secret Boss] we're holding. I probably should not be surprised that it happened already. Going to have to investigate and make sure it's legit.

Is that the Darkness? Or is there another secret boss?

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 3, 2013

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

thetrin posted:

Nice catch. I'll look into it. Thanks.
If you're looking into cleaning up quirks, here's some I found:

quote:

The "next time I'll do it without the vault!" victory message spans two options in the menu when you beat the game, and I think picking it or one of them results in a blank message on the "View clear data for other heroes" screen (pic), or at least I've only ever seen the blank message on vault characters.

Also when you clear the End of the World, the completion message shows up as "....." instead of "Reached the End of the World" or similar (pic).

The special class unlock title/condition says something like "Unlocked and cleared the game with six classes", which is definitely not right since I cleared it with only two or three by the time I had Hero. Maybe "Unlocked six classes and cleared the game"?

This one's really petty, but if you die via drowning the adventure log says "Drowned while swimming. at 15 km" (pic) with that extra . there (I assume victories are supposed to say "victory message! at 99 km" with a !).

Really though, you guys did a great job on the translation, I love reading the epilogues and death messages :3: I wish the fairy had a ton more questions to ask the player, though.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

thetrin posted:

This still floors me. I posted about it a couple pages back, and was truly surprised no one had tried it.
Out of curiosity, there aren't any "password"/easter egg dimensions, are there? Like a developer-defined "if you punch in PLAYISM you get the Queen and King by 100km". :tinfoil:

To be honest, it's a little tedious typing in specific Dimension names using the cursor keyboard, so I don't really do anything besides Random. It'd be great if it could support keyboard input like the character name page, but I suppose that'd be up to Wolf to support.

Devour or Fire posted:

Also protip do not casually wander into an elf hovel when you have a bounty.
Yeah, I did that once, rollin' through everywhere killin' all the NPCs, then stroll over to the elves and get instagibbed by the Elven Elder. Whooooops.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Miijhal posted:

I've started to get the hang of playing Bard, but I've not had any real luck with Adventurer or Force User. I kinda feel like I'm totally missing something with Adventurers, but with Force Users I just usually end up dying to enemies that hit too hard/have too much health to survive against, especially since running away doesn't really work terribly well without consuming an awakening or having dash.
Yeah, for Adventurer I had to pump strength perks to survive the early game, and only beat the Demon Lord by kiting him into towns full of guards. He probably relies on the Vault or getting good drops more than anyone. Using Jump to hop rivers and mountains, then using Lances or Bows is pretty good, but this obviously doesn't work against Harpies, Crows or the Demon Lord. ThieAdventurers have high Agility so frequently you'll get a free turn (enemies will say "Stopped" over their head), that you can take advantage of by Jumping past, activating Dash, or bashing their face in.

I don't have much experience with Force User but I'm pretty sure you'll want to vault in a Staff so you can instacast magic, there's a Holy staff so if you get that then you're probably set for a run. Staves are pretty rare so you can't rely on finding one in a given Dimension. Force Users can also instacast when Awakening is active, or if a strong enemy is headed your way you can stack Meditates and then unleash a high-power fireball on them. They seem to suck up food like a vacuum, with their primary damage output requiring energy.. not too sure what to do about that other than crossing fingers.

p.s. Force User is a dumb name, what's wrong with Mage/Wizard/Sorcerer (Forcerer? (okay that's worse)) :(

Miijhal posted:

Also, what's the best setup for an unarmed character? Right now I have four slots, so I was thinking 2 STR and 2 Pro Wrestler? Or should I just go all in on Pro Wrestler or Strength?
Going 4x (or 5x) Pro Wrestler worked pretty well for me when I ran it (don't do this on an Adventurer or Bard), but I haven't done any math on 30% Combo + 5% Crit vs 20% extra attack power v:shobon:v

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 3, 2013

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

thetrin posted:

Also, big news! One Way Heroics is up on Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=198746495 :toot:
"The Darkness is relentless in its pursuit and nothing can stop it!"? False advertising, I won't stand for th-- wait, you already have my money :(

Top Gym Pumper posted:

God it's so hard to get to 2000km.
I think after the first time you beat it, on second+ runs you can go past 2000 up to I think 10000km? Never done it though :allears:

Reiterpallasch posted:

Do not:
- Chug a vial of dragon's flame instead of throwing it at the Demon Lord.
Yeah, I think most people do that at least once. I suppose you could do it if you have fire-resist gear and are surrounded by enemies, but other than that..

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Miijhal posted:

The only other thing is the secret boss, which I have no clue where to even start with.
The End of the World Epilogue should've given you a huge hint. Not the "End of the World Bow", though. ...but you might have to search some worlds for what you're looking for. And a one-space-range weapon won't work.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Alectai posted:

Boom, Secret Boss down, it's actually pretty easy if you're taking it down as a Hunter...
Now do your lil' chat with Sara, but this time, talk to her, poke the sleeping dragon while she's docile, then see what she thinks about your foolishness. :) But I think you need Victor to talk to her at all.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Secret Boss spoilers

Miijhal posted:

You can talk to her with a buddy pill.
The very first time I tried, she merely said "...", and every time I've tried since then has been with Victor in my party (plus Buddy Tablet). I assumed you needed him to get her to open up since one of her options includes talking to Victor, but maybe not.. v:shobon:v

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

diddy kongs feet posted:

what's the deal with mercs that start in the castle? You can't possible have enough money at that point to recruit them.
There's a perk that starts you off at 2,500 silver per point. If you're referring to today's campaign, a single point should be enough to recruit him. If you don't have the perk yet, pick up some of the other ones first to unlock it.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
You have to be on Afternoon Stroll or harder in order to recruit party members :)

There's also a perk that'll start you off with a pet, pick it up if you're a Bard.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
I don't understand what Coffee's talking about, either.

You are supposed to make many, many, many, many individual runs, you are not supposed to have an attachment to a single character's single dimension's single run. This isn't like Nethack or something where you start up a game and then go as far as you can and then you're done.

If you create a save game and finish the game on that save, if you reload that save you do not get additional Hero Points because that hero's game has already ended. In this way, OWH has "permadeath". You can only get Hero Points once per run - if you could just reload your save with the knowledge of what's coming up, practically it'd just be savescumming. However, you can always just restart the dimension over from 0 again, or go to a new dimension, or anything, really, and continue to earn more HP.

Hero Points are "globally saved" to your entire game file. You don't have Hero Points for a given character. There is no such thing as crippling a character, because every single time you start a new game you have a "brand new character", and Hero Points have no effect whatsoever once you have actually started a game since their only purpose is meta pre-game stuff.

Start new game -> lose or win -> spend Hero Points on perks or classes for your next run, or Dimensional Vault slots so you can carry additional items between runs -> put shiny new toys in the Dimensional Vault -> start a brand new game.

It doesn't wipe your save, so if you die, you can keep going if you want, but you won't get anything more out of it other than knowledge of what you would've run into so you can maybe carry it over into a new game (you'll know there's a Dark Brotherhood at 500km or whatever, for example).

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Jesto posted:

Edit: I just noticed. I got a bronze banner on my hero for beating the secret ending on Maniac Grueling Campaign. I got a silver banner on my hero for beating the secret ending on Maniac Inhumane Odyssey. How do you get gold? :confused:
I think it's actually something like Bronze-Silver-Gold-Platinum for the difficulties, so you should have gotten Gold and Platinum respectively.

Mehuyael posted:

Yikes, there are a lot more perks than I thought there would be.

I was actually disappointed that more didn't start unlocking (at least in the HP menu) once I started getting additional difficulties and clearing the epilogues. That useless "Unlock more Perks -> You have all the Perks" menu, sitting there taunting me forever. :(

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Mehuyael posted:

Well, reached the End of the World with the Hero, which of course means I went full on easy mode. I think I understand how to reach the next step, but for that I think I need to know: How do you attack friendly characters? The only option I have is to talk to them it seems.
You can use skills to hit them (Bash, etc) or I think you can throw stuff at them, but I'm not sure where you're going with that.. No NPCs are required to fight the secret boss, although two of them (maybe one you're thinking of?) have special endings if you defeat it with them in your party..

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Mehuyael posted:

Oh, I thought messing with those Demon Lord shrines would bring me closer to the secret boss.
I've never seen a single one in the entire game v:shobon:v

If you're stuck on where to go for the secret boss, the End-of-the-World epilogue basically tells you how to do it (if you want to reread it you can check your Extras menu), (more informative spoiler) except you can't use the EOTW bow and swords/melee weapons don't actually work.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Miijhal posted:

Throwing a holy weapon actually works, too. As long as the first hit connects with a holy weapon, you can use a standard spear or bow afterwards.
Oh, that's pretty good then and is exactly what happened in the epilogue. Seems like a teensy bit of a waste, but sometimes the RNG can hate you I guess.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Hooray, congrats thetrin and the rest of PLAYISM :toot:

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

thetrin posted:

Smoking WOLF has said that he's already got ideas for over 50 achievements for One Way Heroics Steam. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he does with it.
..oh dear. I was going to mention "man, I'm just imagining all the achievements the game could have" in the earlier post but didn't since I figured the answer was obviously going to be "sorry, no achievements".

You just made my day :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Just a heads up for anyone who missed it during the Steam Summer Sale, One Way Heroics is part of this week's Humble Weekly Bundle, so you can snag it on Steam for only $1 (or a DRM-free version for $0.01, if you must).

• Locked thread