Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
ideate
Aug 19, 2002

Okay so some people made Chris Roberts a money castle. Other people rightfully think that's stupid, so the thread got gas chambered or something.

Anyway who else thinks paying real money for virtual spaceships is cool?

I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadbeatsaint
Dec 1, 2013

I'm not so sure the actual "paying money for virtual ships" is the coolest aspect of the game (per se), but if this game lives up to even half the hype, I think we're in for a pretty wild ride (so far as a space sim that is multiplayer is concerned).

I'd say the closest thing the space-sim community has gotten is Freelancer (with the Discovery mod). I've been playing on some server for years and years, built up billions of credits spread across several ships/characters and even have my own battleship completely decked/maxxed out. That has been a wild ride, and made for some really memorable times. (Especially when traversing dangerous/alien/hostile sectors and desperately looking for a jump point out while losing friends, cursing, damning existence itself, only to make it out and into a worse loving system, poo poo!!) Still, very memorable.

The problem is, that as of a few years ago, the age of the game has caused the community to shrink down so far, that its lost a lot of its magic. (A massive universe/MMO is kind of lonely with no other players and very basic NPCs/Missions/etc.)

That being said, I'm sad to say [not really], I've already sunk about a grand into this game already. I am desperately hoping that all our dreams come true.

We'll see in a few weeks when the "Dog Fighting" module comes out, we'll be able to see if everything is living up to the hype.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I liked the game better when it was just a single player spiritual sequel to Wing Commander. Now the project has gotten completely out of hand and it just looks like absolute poo poo that is going to be really unfun to play because its bloated with way too many features and no coherent direction.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

ahh..what!? what?!
huh?!

I said come in! posted:

I liked the game better when it was just a single player spiritual sequel to Wing Commander. Now the project has gotten completely out of hand and it just looks like absolute poo poo that is going to be really unfun to play because its bloated with way too many features and no coherent direction.

Pretty much. This looks like the future nuclear meltdown of player backed projects.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

I stopped following the original thread after all the funding goals had been reached and there were only like, 3 preorder ships and can't find info on what happened since then. Wiki now has funding set at something nuts like 30 million? And people are still pouring in money for even more preorder ships?

Enwelle Anthem
Dec 1, 2013

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I stopped following the original thread after all the funding goals had been reached and there were only like, 3 preorder ships and can't find info on what happened since then. Wiki now has funding set at something nuts like 30 million? And people are still pouring in money for even more preorder ships?

Funding should have reached like 33 millions now... And people is still spending money on 200$ spaceships for a game that's not even close to release and that no one will truly know if it'll be good or not. I really don't understand them but hey, it's their money.
I bought the starter with alpha + beta but i'm really skeptical about this game. All these ideas, yeah they might be awesome on paper but i don't think that even 20% of it will be on release or will even be ever developed...

Orv
May 4, 2011

Precisely.

There are two possible outcomes for Star Citizen;

1. Your flesh will melt off your face in sheer ecstasy.
2. The worst game ever made.

Gonna be a wonderful day on the internet either way.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Who wants to live forever,
Who dares to love forever,
When love must die.

Orv posted:

There are two possible outcomes for Star Citizen;

1. Your flesh will melt off your face in sheer ecstasy.
2. The worst game ever made.

Gonna be a wonderful day on the internet either way.

Unremarkable mediocrity seems a lot more likely, to be honest.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You are all DOOMED

deadbeatsaint posted:

That being said, I'm sad to say [not really], I've already sunk about a grand into this game already. I am desperately hoping that all our dreams come true
Please tell me you're absurdly rich or something.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Precisely.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Unremarkable mediocrity seems a lot more likely, to be honest.

Goddamnit don't ruin my hyperbole. But yes, they've promised the sky and it's going to fall into their laps in a burning mess of "Eh".

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011

Ya, how about, when you actually get into the cockpit and start flying, the game is largely a set of instanced dogfighting matches, and we all realize that the combat is totally boring and mediocre so there's not much point. That seems the far more likely outcome, though I keep my fingers crossed.

Honestly, I just wanted a good, story-driven single-player game follow-up to Wing Commander. I hate MMOs, they never work out as people imagine, and are purely designed to be time-sinks and money-sinks.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

dudes posted:

stuff about some game

Star Citizen is such a boring-rear end name for a game, there's no way it can ever happen.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

I'd gladly donate 1k for a name change to Space Citizen.

deadbeatsaint
Dec 1, 2013

Endorph posted:

Please tell me you're absurdly rich or something.

Absurdly poor now actually.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

It's really dumb and no one should give them any money.

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

I'm fine with these threads not existing until the dogfighting alpha launches.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

So much to talk about when it comes to this game.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

I was saving all my posts for 2023 when the multiplayer will be in a playable state.

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM THE ALPHAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.

Someone made another SC thread. Do you hear it...The're coming...Moderators! The green gas tide cometh.
Prob should wait on this thread for 2 weeks when the actual game (alpha) starts.

Sammich
Sep 30, 2012

Godmode Enabled posted:

Prob should wait on this thread for 2 weeks when the actual game (alpha) starts.

But speculation, dear Invulnerable Forumer! Statistics! Theoretical pro tips that might perhaps one day come in handy!

Let's get one kind of post out of the way:

Dear reader!
Dear, dear reader!

There was a ship! An internet ship! You should have seen it! Engines bright as the sun, leather interiors, the sort of thing that would impress real life people! Never you mind that it's not real. Never you mind that it's just a paragraph of text and that the concept artists haven't even touched the idea yet. Never you mind that I don't know whether we'll ever see the game release.
But alas! Alack!!- My one hundred dollars would not come fast enough, and my landlord has seen it fit to take my money for his filthy business of shelter.

My stars! My blood! My chairman! My true status will never be known! The timer has depleted and opportunity has left us!
How can I now possibly let the world know I am sometimes a hundredaire? What can I possibly fly into the sun over and over again before quitting the game, blaming mechanics?
Will I now have to literally instead of just metaphorically wipe my butt with twenty dollar bills?

For surely, surely as the stars do shine, no amount of money spent after launch will attain me the recognition I deserve! "Look," they would have said, "he knew! He saw the kickstarter and he KNEW! Those gunnery seats! That MLG paint job!" And then I popped my Mentos and did a wheelie into the sunset wearing my Oculus Rift, got the girl, The End, roll credits.

and then uh i don't know. we can roleplay as cats. sure we can go with that. that's cool.

vvvvvv just to get it out of the way: Derek Smart, Derek Smart, Derek Smart!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 9, 2007

Remind me to work out until I also am buff and have to keep a pillow in front of my okay I'll be honest this is like the 50th custom title I've done tonight and I'm just phoning it in now.

Get Derek Smart on board and this project has a chance.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

by Ralp

deadbeatsaint posted:

Was it because you spent a thousand dollars for the kickstarter? How much do you make and why did you think spending that much was a good idea?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Just shut this one down. We aren't ready for another thread yet, as there is nothing to discuss. It won't end well. Wait until dogfighting and let beer make a thread.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

deadbeatsaint posted:

lol if a one grand expenditure made you absurdly poor you were there already.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005
Back from the dead

On one hand I want this to succeed because all the poo poo they talked about sounds really cool and fun. One the other, if it fails the subsequent internet meltdown will be even better than when Simcity was released

Harabeck
Feb 9, 2012

There is no doubt that many people will be disappointed because of the stupid hype they've built up in their heads, but I think there is a decent chance you will enjoy the game if you can keep your expectations realistic. If I can hop in a ship with friends and shoot pubbies, I'll be happy.

Tepidity
Jan 28, 2009

bullet3 posted:

Honestly, I just wanted a good, story-driven single-player game follow-up to Wing Commander. I hate MMOs, they never work out as people imagine, and are purely designed to be time-sinks and money-sinks.

Good news! SC has a single-player section before you get to the MMO part.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

tatartist - don't worry
i'm a porfessional

Can we wait until there's an actual game to talk about?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never ever cut a deal with a dragon.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Said no one, ever!

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Does making a new thread require the removal of Kewuh? If so then yes, I agree, make a new thread.

I want Star Citizen to be good, but with as much as its promising, there is no way it will please even 1/4 of its customer base. I have spent a lot on it, and I will not be sad when/if the game fails. The comedy that it provides will be simply amazing.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Quiet fool! You know that saying his name will bring him here...

Absurd Revolver
Feb 15, 2008

The Lion corpse has lodged firmly in the wound!

Please, let's not have another thread until we have a game to play.

We should at least wait until after release to become pariahs like the EVE goons of old did.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

i am harry posted:

Can we wait until there's an actual game to talk about?

I don't think you can.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 3, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Zzzz. Beer should make a thread when we actually have dogfighting or some semblance of an actual game.

Also Bursk should finalize the raffle then.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007
OXYGEN
THIEF

Last thread I got in on page 1 to moan and groan about this being an MMO.

Now I will moan and groan about this being Fable 2.0, in that it is promising what basically amounts to a virtual reality game which I will die playing because it's so great but the feature list is making me increasingly wary that a game of this scope can be pulled off in 2013 assuming Chris Roberts has the best of intentions. Especially for anything less than say $200m.

I've been burned too many times by Peter Molyneux, I guess is what I'm saying, and now I have trust issues.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

I anyone regrets what they spent on this pm me and I'll help or advise you on your options to bail out, I've pulled a fair bit of money out myself.

Sephuran
Nov 12, 2011

Someone could probably make a freelancer mod with all the star citizen art assets and it will probably be better than what Star Citizen will turn out to be.

Real Nito
Apr 3, 2010

Absurd Revolver posted:

Please, let's not have another thread until we have a game to play.

We should at least wait until after release to become pariahs like the EVE goons of old did.

Pariahs that rule almost half of the universe.

But I'm beginning to agree that these threads shouldn't exist until we have something that allows us to fly spaceships into other spaceships.

While RSI has promised everything and more, I will give them a chance to prove that they can provide a decent product. A lot of people are getting butt frustrated over a game that isn't even in a remotely playable state. So everything we see is still in development and subject to change.

Even if the game is bad, people will still play it; just go ask some veteran EVE players about how great of a game it is.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006

Current metrics for this thread:
22% of posts question existence of a thread to post in
22% focus on how stupid people are for spending money
28% are on how this pre-alpha game is the worst game
22% threadshitting
6% info

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Bear Witness

Let's wait with the new thread till there's actually some gameplay to discuss, shall we?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006

I long for the return of the old thread, where everyone agreed with each other over and over for three solid pages how it was bad you could see the womans boobs through the definition of her clothes.

«2 »