Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Does the audio lose sync when you play the original file produced by OBS in a normal video player? Or only if you split it into separate video and audio files?

There is a chance you might be getting occasional frame drops, and then whatever you use to process the video not handling those properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
check the video for dropped frames. there can also sometimes be differences between mp4 (janky) and mkv (fine) for reasons i'm not entirely sure about

manually forcing the framerate to eg 30 or 60 in the editor should fix the desync. you should always do this, regardless of whether you have "desync", because there will always be some dropped frames in your recording, but usually not enough for the desync to be noticable

use whichever preview feature your software has to see if the forced framerate fixes it

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It might also be a variable frame rate recording, I had one of those where the audio desynced and yeah, manually setting the frame rate to 60 fixed the problem iirc.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

RE: Video editors

No one should ever "pay" for a video editor in tyool 2024. There's a butt load of free editors out there including freaking Blender of all things.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 21, 2024

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Combat Lobster posted:

RE: Video editors

No one should ever "pay" for a video editor in tyool 2024. There's a butt load of free editors out there including freaking Blender of all things.

If all you intend to do is some very basic editing, then yeah, there's free options out there. All I was saying is that you can find some of the paid options for very reasonable prices through Humble Bundle, if you are looking for something more robust that you can do more with.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Yeah, but really, in that case, just go with DaVinci Resolve's free version. It is better than any paid software I've ever used. No, really, it's that good, that's why I shill it. Can't wait for them to ruin it in the next 10-20 years, but right now, you're getting pro grade tools for free.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Thinking about doing another SSLP after many years, is the stuff in the OP still the best information?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Nah, it's just that no one wants to write a new op, tragically.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

The OP still warns people away from loving Viddler and Blip.tv.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

okay so what’s the best stuff for an SSLP nowadays

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

okay so what’s the best stuff for an SSLP nowadays

Use Lpix for your uploads, really, that's about it, and sharex to handle the uploading, keep image width under 900pixels if you want to upload to the LPArchive the next time there's a spate of that, but also do it for my sake since LP's with wider screenshots tends to strain my eyeballs.

Also I use avidemux for my video editing, though my needs in that regard are relatively basic. It doesn't seem to get mentioned often, but I felt lost in Davinci Resolve's UI while Avidemux feels simple to me.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

Use Lpix for your uploads, really, that's about it, and sharex to handle the uploading

Be sure to also check the capture and editing features in ShareX, you can build some quite neat workflows with it. It's useful for much more than just uploading.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

nielsm posted:

Be sure to also check the capture and editing features in ShareX, you can build some quite neat workflows with it. It's useful for much more than just uploading.

I don't like to capture screenshots while I play, too much chance of missing something. I prefer to play, then capture screenshots from video, since then I can always, for instance, scroll back, if I miss something.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

IGgy IGsen posted:

Nah, it's just that no one wants to write a new op, tragically.

I'd write one, but everyone would yell at me.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
I mean people could also suggest things for keeping things a bit more up-to-date rather than taking passive-aggressive shots that suggest I've disappeared and left this forever abandoned for the next person. v:shobon:v I've read every post since posting this and only once did a mod have to edit something into the OP I missed.

But hey, I'll go and remove the blip/viddler bit if it helps. :v:

e; Did a little cleanup, will look at more tomorrow.

Zeratanis fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 5, 2024

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zeratanis posted:

I mean people could also suggest things for keeping things a bit more up-to-date rather than taking passive-aggressive shots that suggest I've disappeared and left this forever abandoned for the next person. v:shobon:v

I'm pretty sure Windows Movie Maker isn't a thing anymore, so that could be removed. Also pretty sure the Microsoft LifeChat headsets are discontinued.

I now use headsets by LucidSound, with my current one being the LS100X Wireless Gaming Headset. I do not use the microphone element of them, but they are wireless over USB adapter OR Bluetooth, have over 100 hours of battery life on a single charge, and two built-in audio channels so you don't have to mess around with Virtual Audio Cable to separate stuff. I really like them, and maybe others will too.

"Sony Vegas" is also no longer a thing and it's all done by Magix now. They have Movie Studio, Video Pro, and Vegas Pro, which all seem to be fairly similar and just different tiers of how much they let you do, but it's kinda confusing. Magix (rightfully) had a bad reputation for their programs running like poo poo after Sony was no longer part of the picture, but I use Vegas Pro and it's very functional and versatile these days, and people that used to use Windows Movie Maker might find these programs to have a similar design.

https://www.magix.com/us/

And DaVinci Resolve is another video editing program that people seem to really like and it has a free version, but options are very limited unless you pay for the full version. If all you really wanna do is some basic editing for videos or dip your toes into experimenting more, it's probably a good place to start. I did find the UI to be a bit awkward, but maybe it's just because I'm so used to WMM and Vegas.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Resolve's big two shortcomings if you don't pay are 1) can't render output to above 1080p and 2) getting mkv files in sucks, otherwise it's pretty feature complete

Shotcut and Kdenlive have come a LONG way too

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Windows 10 did come with free video editing software but it seems to have been removed and incorporated into the photos application. I did use it for a while when it was still around until I found it that it only encoded in 30fps.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

Resolve's big two shortcomings if you don't pay are 1) can't render output to above 1080p and 2) getting mkv files in sucks, otherwise it's pretty feature complete

I just got used to using ffmpeg to convert OBS's mkv files to mp4. It takes like a second or two even for big files because you don't need to re-encode. Buuuuut you do need to be comfortable with the commandline.

code:
ffmpeg.exe -i inputfile.mkv -c copy outputfile.mp4

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

That and H.264 encoding is CPU-bound.

Resolve is massively powerful. You can do a lot with just the free version. You just have to put in the extra work in learning its other workspaces like Fusion and Fairlight.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 5, 2024

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I just got used to using ffmpeg to convert OBS's mkv files to mp4. It takes like a second or two even for big files because you don't need to re-encode. Buuuuut you do need to be comfortable with the commandline.

code:
ffmpeg.exe -i inputfile.mkv -c copy outputfile.mp4

Why don't you use OBS itself to convert MKV to MP4?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Why don't you use OBS itself to convert MKV to MP4?

I haven't poked into OBS much, so if it has after-the-fact re-encoding support, that's great. But your direct recording shouldn't be in mp4 because it doesn't gracefully handle the video stream cutting out at the end of the recording. IIRC it'll pretend that the video is shorter than it is, i.e. the last few seconds will be inaccessible.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I haven't poked into OBS much, so if it has after-the-fact re-encoding support, that's great. But your direct recording shouldn't be in mp4 because it doesn't gracefully handle the video stream cutting out at the end of the recording. IIRC it'll pretend that the video is shorter than it is, i.e. the last few seconds will be inaccessible.

I always record in mkv when using OBS and then re-encode it with OBS afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

The 1080p thing is kind of notable, since, at last check, YouTube would absolutely butcher re-encoding videos at 1080p. That's why I render everything at 1440p nowadays.