Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
ok. I got the audio track i want to sync to the video ready, but when I mux it, the audio from the video is gone. How do I splice a separate audio track over a video that already has audio so they both play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

ok. I got the audio track i want to sync to the video ready, but when I mux it, the audio from the video is gone. How do I splice a separate audio track over a video that already has audio so they both play?

The answer depends on how you're making the video. If, judging by your earlier posts in the thread, you're using Avisynth, you want the MixAudio filter. Give it the two audio tracks you want to mix, and a percentage of the volume for the first track. (The second track will get the remaining volume, so if you want them to be at equal volume, you'd put 0.5 or just leave the volume argument out. If you want the left clip to be louder, you can put 0.7 or so.) Then AudioDub that to the video clip and you're done.

If you're using another program, you'll have to tell us what it is because each one has its own method.

Alternatively, you can export both audio tracks and merge them yourself in an audio editor like Audacity.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Nidoking posted:

The answer depends on how you're making the video. If, judging by your earlier posts in the thread, you're using Avisynth, you want the MixAudio filter. Give it the two audio tracks you want to mix, and a percentage of the volume for the first track. (The second track will get the remaining volume, so if you want them to be at equal volume, you'd put 0.5 or just leave the volume argument out. If you want the left clip to be louder, you can put 0.7 or so.) Then AudioDub that to the video clip and you're done.

If you're using another program, you'll have to tell us what it is because each one has its own method.

Alternatively, you can export both audio tracks and merge them yourself in an audio editor like Audacity.

This is my current script:
ffms2("C:\Users\midnight77\Videos\2016-08-12 02-05-37.flv")
WAVSource("C:\Users\midnight77\Videos\dead island ep 1 final.wav")
clip = ffms2("2016-08-12 02-05-37.flv")
audio = WavSource("dead island ep 1 final.wav")
AudioDub(clip,audio)

How do I add mixaudio?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Mycroft Holmes posted:

This is my current script:
ffms2("C:\Users\midnight77\Videos\2016-08-12 02-05-37.flv")
WAVSource("C:\Users\midnight77\Videos\dead island ep 1 final.wav")
clip = ffms2("2016-08-12 02-05-37.flv")
audio = WavSource("dead island ep 1 final.wav")
AudioDub(clip,audio)

How do I add mixaudio?

code:
original_video = ffms2("2016-08-12 02-05-37.flv")
commentary_track = WavSource("dead island ep 1 final.wav")
mixaudio(original_video, commentary_track, 0.25, 0.75)
Assuming "2016-08-12 02-05-37.flv" also contains the audio from the original game recording.

The 0.25 and 0.75 are the volume levels of the two audio tracks. If the sum of them are greater than 1, the audio may clip (get artifacts) in loud sections.

Really, it's probably better to just extract the game audio and mix that together with your commentary in Audacity.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 21, 2016

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

nielsm posted:

code:

original_video = ffms2("2016-08-12 02-05-37.flv")
commentary_track = WavSource("dead island ep 1 final.wav")
mixaudio(original_video, commentary_track, 0.25, 0.75)
Assuming "2016-08-12 02-05-37.flv" also contains the audio from the original game recording.

The 0.25 and 0.75 are the volume levels of the two audio tracks. If the sum of them are greater than 1, the audio may clip (get artifacts) in loud sections.

Really, it's probably better to just extract the game audio and mix that together with your commentary in Audacity.

How do I do that?

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Mycroft Holmes posted:

How do I do that?
Click and drag both audio files into Audacity, rebalance volume as necessary, (each track has its own level adjustment bar), and then when you're satisfied, export audio and use the result as your new audio source. Audacity will automatically mix it all down into a basic two track stereo file.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

LogicalFallacy posted:

Click and drag both audio files into Audacity, rebalance volume as necessary, (each track has its own level adjustment bar), and then when you're satisfied, export audio and use the result as your new audio source. Audacity will automatically mix it all down into a basic two track stereo file.

No I mean how do I separate the native audio from a video?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Mycroft Holmes posted:

You can import audio from a video in audacity. Just click import audio and select the mp4 (or video file), and it should load the audio into audacity.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
You can just drop a video file into audacity if you have ffmpeg installed.

In audacity, go to Edit > Preferences, and then under libraries it should look something like this.

If you do need to locate it then it should have installed to "c:\Program Files(x86)\ffmpeg for audacity"(no "(x86)" if you're on 32bit windows) if you use the linked version.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Ah. I hadn't realized that's what you were asking, since I have my recording software (Bandicam) generate a separate audio file and use that.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Alright, the fixed version is muxing. If this works, my first LP will be good to go.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

if it's an AVI or an AVISynth Script you can just open it up in VirtualDub and then go to File >> Save WAV

If it's an MP4 you can use MeGUI to extract an aac file with the demuxing tools, though I think you might have to install a third party plugin to read aac's in audacity, I forget.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Just for the record, if you want to mix a mic and an audio track for a video, you should get a proper DAW program (I recommend Reaper) and use auto-ducking so the volume of the game gets lower when the microphone track is active (ie: when you speak). You can't really tell the volume goes down but the voice is much, much more present and clearer it's day and night. You can also improve the sound of your voice using compressors, EQ or other plugins.

You don't have to, it's just the cherry on the cake imo.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Has anyone had issues with OBS capturing a black screen ? I just built a new PC and when I go to game capture for say Street Fighter V, it captures a black screen unless I do window capture.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

TheManSeries posted:

Has anyone had issues with OBS capturing a black screen ? I just built a new PC and when I go to game capture for say Street Fighter V, it captures a black screen unless I do window capture.

If you happen to have two GPUs, OBS and the game need to be set to the same GPU in order for Game Capture to work. I had this problem on my laptop where OBS was set to the integrated GPU while the game was set to the dedicated GPU.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

TheMcD posted:

If you happen to have two GPUs, OBS and the game need to be set to the same GPU in order for Game Capture to work. I had this problem on my laptop where OBS was set to the integrated GPU while the game was set to the dedicated GPU.

It's detecting my 1060 in the settings and that's what I have it set to.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

TheManSeries posted:

Sometimes it doesn't automatically detect my target window, so I have to set it manually to the active .exe in the properties of the relevant entry in the Sources box.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

TheManSeries posted:

Try running OBS as an administrator

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Street Fighter V runs on Unreal Engine 4, which OBS has trouble capturing (along with Id Tech 5 and 6). Try doing monitor capture on the monitor that's playing the game- if you can run it in borderless windowed that might work even better.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
I'm having some issues with OBS capturing video for Mass Effect 1 via stream. I'm launching it through steam and I've searched the forums and the only thing they can tell me is to run it through windowed mode or as administrator (I've done both) and nothing is working.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The Big Whoop posted:

I'm having some issues with OBS capturing video for Mass Effect 1 via stream. I'm launching it through steam and I've searched the forums and the only thing they can tell me is to run it through windowed mode or as administrator (I've done both) and nothing is working.

Are you using an auto-detect or are you specifically selecting the game for the source?

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Are you using an auto-detect or are you specifically selecting the game for the source?

I have tried both. Trying with Raptr now.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Somehow it works with classic.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

How would I go about ensuring a constant framerate for the entirety of an AviSynth script, or just setting a framerate for a clip?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
AviSynth only works with constant framerates, so ... wouldn't worry about that. With one caveat I'll get into later.

If you want to change the framerate of a clip, you can using ChangeFPS to do that. ChangeFPS will duplicate or drop frames as needed to get to the target framerate.

The one caveat above is that FFMpegSource does work with variable framerates. It works by reporting an average framerate to AviSynth and then returning frames as they come in. If your source is using FFVideoSource you should specify the framerate using fpsnum and fpsden - well, probably just fpsnum - to tell FFMpegSource to return frames at a constant framerate by duplicating/removing frames like ChangeFPS does. So something like:

code:
FFVideoSource("My Video.mp4", fpsnum=30)
To have a 30FPS fixed rate video.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
so, uh, i recorded some footage. when I reviewed it, rather than the footage filling the whole screen it only filled part of it and the rest was black. Is there a way to fix this?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Mycroft Holmes posted:

so, uh, i recorded some footage. when I reviewed it, rather than the footage filling the whole screen it only filled part of it and the rest was black. Is there a way to fix this?

As long as the footage you got is as big as the game was, the general practice is to crop and resize. That is, crop the video so that only the game itself shows, then resize to an integer multiple of the frame size that meets your size needs (generally 1920x1080 or 1280x720 for widescreen).

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Nidoking posted:

As long as the footage you got is as big as the game was, the general practice is to crop and resize. That is, crop the video so that only the game itself shows, then resize to an integer multiple of the frame size that meets your size needs (generally 1920x1080 or 1280x720 for widescreen).

How do I do that? I use Avisynth, is there a set of commands to do that?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Hello guys! I'm trying to create a custom dancing GIF using GIMP, using this base GIF that I recorded...

And these set of sprites...

The whole point of this is that I'm trying to make this guy do an electric slide of sorts while the animation is playing. But, I have a problem...

The guys different stances are SUPPOSED to fade as he keeps progressing through them, but that's not turning out to be the case. Does anyone know how to fix this?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Mycroft Holmes posted:

For cropping:
Crop(X1, Y1, X2, Y2)
Where (X1,Y1) (X2,Y2) define the coordinates of the rectangle of video you want to keep.
You can specify X2 and Y2 with negative values to make them relative from the bottom right corner instead.

For resizing, you have many options, the right one depends on the material, the direction of resizing, the target media, and more.
Common ones: PointResize, BilinearResize, LanczosResize. RTFM

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Let me do you one better: Bookmark the Wiki. Use it liberally. It's got lists of everything you can do and most things you'll ever want to do. In particular, the "Internal Filters" and everything under "Script Syntax" will get you pretty far. And it's usually going to be faster than posting in this thread and waiting for a reply.

Fionordequester posted:

The guys different stances are SUPPOSED to fade as he keeps progressing through them, but that's not turning out to be the case. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Looks to me like an improper application of optimization. Unoptimize the background animation first, then layer your sprites on top as appropriate, then re-optimize. It's all under Filters->Animation

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 27, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Do the basic video steps change at all if you're recording x264 .mp4s with Shadowplay?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Really Pants posted:

Do the basic video steps change at all if you're recording x264 .mp4s with Shadowplay?

Generally speaking, the only thing that will change is how you get the video footage into your editing software. In Avisynth, you need to choose the appropriate source filter to decode the video. In VirtualDub, you'll need to convert whatever you have to AVI format. Other (paid) programs will probably be able to read whatever. Once you have the footage in your editor, the editing process is generally the same. You might need to perform further conversions depending on the format (like deinterlacing interlaced video or converting the final video into an appropriate format for your container), but the edits will work the same way.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Nidoking posted:

Other (paid) programs will probably be able to read whatever.
Unless they hate you and your computer for some reason and make your x264 footage look like this:

I still have no idea why Vegas does this on my computer, but it no longer matters anyway because Premiere works absolutely fine.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 29, 2016

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

So in moving to my new monitor set-up (an ultrawide primary and a regular wide secondary), I've successfully made Bandicam poo poo itself, and am now figuring out how to work with OBS. My problems right now are various.
1) How do I go about getting it to work with Lagarith? I don't see it in the options for video encoders, and google was no help.
2) When attempting to feed the video through Avisynth, AvsPmod tells me "No compatible ACM codec to decode 0x2000 audio stream to PCM." I assume this can be fixed by changing the audio encoder I use to record? There are so many options though, even limiting myself to the ones that say pcm, so I'm unsure which I should use.
3) The main reason I was using Bandicam was that it allowed me to have it spit out separate audio files for System sounds and commentary. Is there any way to go about doing this with OBS?

Any help on these would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is Resolve any good? It's free, which is nice, especially if I only want to do some basic tasks.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I need to record tournament matches. I want a capture device with a built in hard drive or something so that I can set it up without a computer, record on the fly, and retrieve the video later. What's the good one?

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

LogicalFallacy posted:

So in moving to my new monitor set-up (an ultrawide primary and a regular wide secondary), I've successfully made Bandicam poo poo itself, and am now figuring out how to work with OBS. My problems right now are various.
1) How do I go about getting it to work with Lagarith? I don't see it in the options for video encoders, and google was no help.

You don't. OBS doesn't support Lagarith but you can set at least OBS studio to lossless h.264 if your cpu can handle it.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

signalnoise posted:

I need to record tournament matches. I want a capture device with a built in hard drive or something so that I can set it up without a computer, record on the fly, and retrieve the video later. What's the good one?

Tournament what matches? From a console? What input source?

Not that it matters, the only one I'm even aware of is the Hauppauge HD PVR Rocket. It works with hard drives if they have an external power source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Xenoveritas posted:

Tournament what matches? From a console? What input source?

Not that it matters, the only one I'm even aware of is the Hauppauge HD PVR Rocket. It works with hard drives if they have an external power source.

Sorry, yes from a console, HDMI.