Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Edward_Tohr posted:

As for the white line on transparent/white background bit, it should be easy enough to open it up in GIMP or Paint.net or some other image editing program which supports layers, and just toss a solid-color background layer underneath the map.

Or use a color fill tool to recolor the white line to something darker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Nidoking posted:

Or use a color fill tool to recolor the white line to something darker.

There will eventually be many white lines, and some of them will be interrupted in many segements so that might get annoying. But yeah, background solution works fine. Thanks :).

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
So here's a bizarre Sony Vegas problem: after rendering a couple videos (Lagarith AVI -> Lagarith AVI, changed from 1080p to 720p and trimmed the videos a bit), Vegas can no longer open Lagarith AVIs. MPC also could not open Lagarith AVIs after this until I changed the Internal Filters setting to include AVI. VLC can play them no problem.

Since then I have tried: 1) completely uninstalling then reinstalling Haali Media Splitter (since that was part of the error message on MPC...something like "the following pins failed to find connectable filters: XForm::AVIout"), 2) completely uninstalling then reinstalling the Lagarith codec. Sony Vegas still cannot open or import Lagarith AVIs.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Try running:

regsvr32 /i c:\windows\system32\quartz.dll

If you're on 64 bit Windows, also try this:

c:\windows\syswow64\regsvr32 /i c:\windows\syswow64\quartz.dll

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I attempted both methods and got the following error:

quartz.dll looks like it's related to DirectShow/DirectX, so maybe reinstall that?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

DirectX and DirectShow haven't had any relation for the last 10 years, and DirectShow is a fully integrated component of Windows, so there isn't really anything useful you can reinstall. The reinstall of DirectShow essentially is regsvr32'ing quartz.dll.
I think the problem might be that the core filters of DirectShow have been uninstalled in some way, and that includes some of the base AVI stuff.
Alternatively it might be avifil32.dll or something like that, which has gone haywire.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
EDIT:

I went into dxtory and examined my settings for Lagarith recording there. The box "Prevent upsampling when decoding" was checked (I also have it checked in my Vegas render settings for Lagarith), and when I unchecked it the videos became visible in Vegas again. So, problem solved, I guess.

EDIT 2:

It seems every time I check "Prevent upsampling" when rendering in Vegas, it changes this option in the codec across the entire system rather than keeping it just as part of the render profile. So basically Vegas created its own issue. As soon as I change it back I have joy in all the players and render programs.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 27, 2014

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Question about audio editing software. I like Adobe Premiere and Photoshop's abilities to apply effects/trim without permanently altering the file, and of course layering multiple files. Right now I use Sound Forge for audio, but it's blunt as hell, with no track to layer several files on, few undo levels.

Does Adobe's Audition offer layers and easily removable effects, or can someone recommend a different program?

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Did Meat ever finish that new animated GIF tutorial?

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

gatz posted:

Did Meat ever finish that new animated GIF tutorial?

Don't think so but if you just download Gooncam it basically takes all the effort out of it.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Is there some sort of trick to getting the Happauge USB-Live 2 to actually, y'know, get the video to the system? The recording programs recognize it, and I occasionally get sound, but video-wise all it's giving me is a blank screen.

EDIT: Problem seems to be related to source resolution. The game outputs FMVs at 320x240, and it captures those fine, but it does actual gameplay at something different. I can get a signal when I choose the "unknown" video standard, but it's about as messy as you'd expect a direct stream of analog NTSC video to be.

Edward_Tohr fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 29, 2014

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Do note that this issue is supposedly fixed as of version 2.18. Unfortunately, googling for "FFMS2" still brings up the old Google Code page as the first result instead of the new Github page, so many people are not aware that there's versions past 2.17.

https://github.com/FFMS/ffms2/releases

Jumping back to this, version 2.20 seems to be a buggy pile of poo poo. They've definitely "fixed" threads=1 - trying to use one thread to work around it crashing if you try and use multiple threads now causes severe graphical corruption. I'd recommend sticking with 2.17 and threads=1 since it may be slow, but at least it doesn't crash every three frames.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Why is the original Mass Effect port so bad? My PC is well over the required settings. I can run two and three with high setting smoothly but the first has some major lag issues and it isn't an uncommon issue. Today I've spent a lot of time uninstalling unessential programs, disabling non-essential functions, turned all the fancy desktop visuals into the most basic. The game has gone from lagging heavily to lagging frequently. I've never had issues with two and three and I forgot how bad the first port is. Even on the lowest graphics settings the lag improvements are minor, the only other steps are disabling config settings which will make the graphics awful.

I think this project will be canned for now, I've searched extensively to fix the lag issue and although there's been improvements there's not been any resolution. Ah well, there's other projects lined up and I have a short term interim. It just sucks as I've had this in the can for some time now.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
ME1 barely ran on its native system (the 360) and the port is, well, a port.

You might be able to get some specific help in the games ME3 thread(s) because there are a lot of people who did trilogy replays in the last year and might remember some tricks.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Psion posted:

ME1 barely ran on its native system (the 360) and the port is, well, a port.

You might be able to get some specific help in the games ME3 thread(s) because there are a lot of people who did trilogy replays in the last year and might remember some tricks.

I've spent hours trawling through sites the past few days, either I can make the first instalment a laggy mess with decent graphics or a relatively smooth run with horrible graphics. I'm going to defragment my whole hard drive tomorrow rather than just the localised directory, the last ditch thing I can do is a reformatting and re-installation of the operating system.

I've already looked into specific's. I've looked into tweaks, I've looked into ways to free up memory, I've looked into ways of running my operating system with the bare bones in terms of functionality and appearance. There's noticeable difference but not enough, the lag is reduced but still very apparent, it's just a bad port. Even before I did all this I was able to play Mass Effect 3, including multiplayer, with zero slow down.

I'll have an interim in place before I can resolve these issues starting this weekend.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I've spent hours trawling through sites the past few days, either I can make the first instalment a laggy mess with decent graphics or a relatively smooth run with horrible graphics. I'm going to defragment my whole hard drive tomorrow rather than just the localised directory, the last ditch thing I can do is a reformatting and re-installation of the operating system.

I've already looked into specific's. I've looked into tweaks, I've looked into ways to free up memory, I've looked into ways of running my operating system with the bare bones in terms of functionality and appearance. There's noticeable difference but not enough, the lag is reduced but still very apparent, it's just a bad port. Even before I did all this I was able to play Mass Effect 3, including multiplayer, with zero slow down.

I'll have an interim in place before I can resolve these issues starting this weekend.

Are you running it in Administrator mode? ME1 (downloaded through Origin) wouldn't run at all unless I launched it as Admin. Maybe I turned on compatibility settings too. What OS are you running? I had basically zero problems running ME1 on W7 64-bit so that seems weird. Oh also, if you downloaded through Origin, it may not have patched. Origin doesn't always download the most recent version. If it's a Steam install, get the CD key and open an Origin support ticket to add ME1 to your Origin account, and try that version, since I think it's actually DRM free (?). It doesn't require Origin running, at least.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

So this is only somewhat related to Lp, but comletely related to video editing.

Let's say I'm rendering a video for a pal on my pc, who then wants it to turn into a dvd on his mac. My usual render(x264/AC-3 in an mp4 wrapper) doesn't work for him as he says. So I'm wondering what formats and codecs are common for mac users?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
H.264 and MP4 should be fine for Mac OS X, but I'd try AAC instead of AC-3 for the audio portion. I think that's the standard for most MP4s anyway.

Of course, I don't know what he's using for software on Mac OS X since I think Apple stopped including DVD authoring software with Mac OS X a while ago.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Thanks, I'll try a render with AAC. I kinda suspected that it was the audio codec, because quicktime also refused to play the file on my PC, and the latest Quicktime builds should support the 264 codec.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Humerus posted:

Are you running it in Administrator mode? ME1 (downloaded through Origin) wouldn't run at all unless I launched it as Admin. Maybe I turned on compatibility settings too. What OS are you running? I had basically zero problems running ME1 on W7 64-bit so that seems weird. Oh also, if you downloaded through Origin, it may not have patched. Origin doesn't always download the most recent version. If it's a Steam install, get the CD key and open an Origin support ticket to add ME1 to your Origin account, and try that version, since I think it's actually DRM free (?). It doesn't require Origin running, at least.

I've tried through Origin and through physical discs. I haven't tried running it on admin mode but I'm willing to have a last ditch try. I'm using Windows Vista 32-bit and I made sure to patch the game through Origin and with the physical discs in both cases.

The only answer I've had that sheds light so far is that it's a bad port, I've never had any issues running ME2 and ME3. The only thing things are the extremes, formatting or buying a new system.

Edit: I've just done a test run in admin mode and the performance is vastly increased. Even with a tabbed browser and programs running in the background. I'll have to test this out some more.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 5, 2014

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
Hey guys. I could use your help with gooncam. I'm trying to record something that happened in a Dota match, but the window keeps recording a part of itself - as though the 'camera' is pointed a bit up and to the left.

Do you guys have any idea how to fix that? Nothing in the settings is relevant.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

I recognize that userpic. Don't trust that guy.

Does your recording contain the entire area you want to capture as well as the extra portion of the screen? If so, just crop it in post. If not, then try expanding the recording area until it does. Also, I question your claim that nothing in the settings is relevant, but I don't know anything about gooncam to tell you what to look for.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.

Hey guys. I could use your help with gooncam. I'm trying to record something that happened in a Dota match, but the window keeps recording a part of itself - as though the 'camera' is pointed a bit up and to the left.

idk what gooncam is, but try using OBS instead. I use it when I record LoL and it's pretty pain free.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

psymonkey posted:

idk what gooncam is, but try using OBS instead. I use it when I record LoL and it's pretty pain free.

Gooncam is for quickly capping and editing GIFs, kind of a different scope to OBS.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

Nidoking posted:

I recognize that userpic. Don't trust that guy.

Does your recording contain the entire area you want to capture as well as the extra portion of the screen? If so, just crop it in post. If not, then try expanding the recording area until it does. Also, I question your claim that nothing in the settings is relevant, but I don't know anything about gooncam to tell you what to look for.

No, it doesn't include the entire space I'm trying to record. The only good metaphor I can think of is what I posted in the original - it's like the camera is just aimed incorrectly. That GIF is the size I was trying to record, it's just not capturing what I want it to. As for the settings, they're pretty barebones. I'm a network administrator, so when I say the settings don't have anything relevant I've definitely checked ;)

Starting to suspect it's a graphics driver issue on my machine, not a gooncam issue.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
It looks like you're running in a high-DPI mode, so I wouldn't let Gooncam off the hook just yet.

Is it remotely possible to dump the DPI back down to default and record with it that way? Or just to test out that theory?

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Gotta "give it up" for the El Gato capture card. Not only does the latest software version save the commentary audio to a separate file than the game audio so you're not stuck with bad jokes baked in, but now it supports saving your encode at a different bitrate than your stream. Wow!!!!!!!

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

judge reinhold posted:

Gotta "give it up" for the El Gato capture card. Not only does the latest software version save the commentary audio to a separate file than the game audio so you're not stuck with bad jokes baked in, but now it supports saving your encode at a different bitrate than your stream. Wow!!!!!!!

Wow, no joke? I haven't streamed but once with El Gato, and that's when I first got it about half a year ago, but that feature is great, especially for those of us that are stuck in an area where the internet will only allow around 800kb bit rate without crashing the stream constantly. Would have figured that OBS would have this feature, but no. Regardless, El Gato keeps surprising me with the good poo poo they constantly put out.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

This is the kind of stuff that makes me feel 100% justified in being a shill for Elgato. :allears:

Word of wisdom for those curious about the Elgato HD60 card that came out recently that can do 1080p at 60 frames per second, it's HDMI-in only so you can't use a PS3 or anything older without HDMI converters or HDCP strippers or that kinda thing so if you don't want the headache of that, just get the old Game Capture HD because it's still a fantastic piece of hardware.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

BMS posted:

Wow, no joke? I haven't streamed but once with El Gato, and that's when I first got it about half a year ago, but that feature is great, especially for those of us that are stuck in an area where the internet will only allow around 800kb bit rate without crashing the stream constantly. Would have figured that OBS would have this feature, but no. Regardless, El Gato keeps surprising me with the good poo poo they constantly put out.

I was going to lazily suggest I'm trusting the fact it's streaming at what it says it is, but I decided to do an experiment to verify, ala what all those fascinating Cosmos nerds have wanted for years. I watched the network throughput and, indeed, it matched what I was setting the bitrate to in the program (even changing the streaming bitrate from 2 mbps to 700 kbps while the local disk recording was still going), yet the final encode on disk is 8 mbs.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
ffffffuck that makes my Elgato like 34057% cooler.

I guess I should update the software from ... uh, well, it's been a long time :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The new Elgato capture program update is pretty snazzy, and its compatable with both the current GameCapture HD and HD60 cards. I'd recommend that anyone who hasn't updated their software yet to look into it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

judge reinhold posted:

I was going to lazily suggest I'm trusting the fact it's streaming at what it says it is, but I decided to do an experiment to verify, ala what all those fascinating Cosmos nerds have wanted for years. I watched the network throughput and, indeed, it matched what I was setting the bitrate to in the program (even changing the streaming bitrate from 2 mbps to 700 kbps while the local disk recording was still going), yet the final encode on disk is 8 mbs.

As another "video goldilocks" who can't watch streams with too high bitrate, or videos with too low bitrate, it needs to be just right, I'd like someone to recommend me some LPs that were recorded on an Elgato Game Capture HD 60 2014. Dual-audio commentary appreciated, but not required.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

No, it doesn't include the entire space I'm trying to record. The only good metaphor I can think of is what I posted in the original - it's like the camera is just aimed incorrectly. That GIF is the size I was trying to record, it's just not capturing what I want it to. As for the settings, they're pretty barebones. I'm a network administrator, so when I say the settings don't have anything relevant I've definitely checked ;)

Starting to suspect it's a graphics driver issue on my machine, not a gooncam issue.

Xenoveritas posted:

It looks like you're running in a high-DPI mode, so I wouldn't let Gooncam off the hook just yet.

Is it remotely possible to dump the DPI back down to default and record with it that way? Or just to test out that theory?

I was also having this issue, but I never put two and two together -- the following settings on the original exe fixed the issue for me on win8.1:

Nevermind that it is regular gifcam, it works all the same.

lokistarwind
Jul 15, 2014
I wanted to ask some advice on screen recording software for a mac. Recently I was given a 3DS capture card and was tinkering with it to get it to work. After using the software for the mac, the device requires a huge amount of cpu% to record and clocks at 22 fps. It streams perfectly on screen when it is not recording. Keeping that in mind, I looked into screen recording it.

I looked through the thread, but did not really found anything that would help. I tried quicktime, but it lags too much to be acceptable. It ended up recording around 25 fps and was using quite a bit of cpu usage. Another one I tried was a trial on what is called Screen Flick which got it around 29.2 fps which is a huge improvement, but not quite perfect. If anyone here that screen captures with a mac has any recommendations, then I would greatly appreciate it. I know macs are horrendous when it comes to recording, but I want to figure out my options before making any important decisions.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

lokistarwind posted:

I wanted to ask some advice on screen recording software for a mac.

Isn't OBS also available for Mac? That can do local recordings as well, albeit not lossless.

lokistarwind
Jul 15, 2014

Geemer posted:

Isn't OBS also available for Mac? That can do local recordings as well, albeit not lossless.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Unfortunately OBS requires OSX 10.8 and my mac can only max out at 10.7. Looking at other screen capture softwares, it appears Screen Flick performs better than any other screen recorder for a mac cpu% wise. I just need to adjust the settings and compromise a tiny bit on quality to improve frame rate. It is $29 which is not too bad. I will test it out more before making a purchase. Anyways, thanks for the advice.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
So, how do all you cool Screenshot LP people make those images of character portraits you use to denote who's speaking without using screenshots while transcribing text?

Is it just cropping an image of the character's head and sizing it to fit, then copy/pasting it in every time that character speaks, or is there some program/macro/BBcode/whatever people typically use to do it?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I just cropped portraits from screenshots, cleaned them up a bit and then uploaded them along with everything else. The rightload url replacer solves the rest, so if I want to show e.g. Malcolm saying something it's just "[malcolm] Thing Malcolm is saying." and it ends up looking pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yeah, just crop images from screenshots. That seems to work just fine. The difficulty is finding a screenshot that adequately shows of the character in questions without looking too crowded/distorted.