Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Read the OP, still have this question

I want to listen to game audio and voice chat simultaneously through my headphones, but record the audio streams separately. I want to do this without lag. What do I do? I'm willing to spend money. I've already tried Virtual Audio Cable but that poo poo lags.

Current hardware available-

Logitech G930 headset
Hauppauge HD PVR2 Gamer whatever
Avermedia Live Gamer HD internal
Motherboard has Realtek audio

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

EntranceJew posted:

Are you sure VAC is the one lagging? If you're using Hauppauge like I do, you've got it going passthrough to your TV. The audio from the game is going to naturally be at a delay because of the PVR and not the game. If this turns out to be your problem, you can potentially use a male-to-male line from your TV back to your computer to get the audio from the passthrough at less of a delay.

I don't have any problem at all with audio sync plugged directly from the source to the capture device whether it's TV or PC. The lag is introduced when I try to duplicate the audio stream for multiple outputs. Whether I do this with VAC or with the Stereo Mix option in my sound settings, I get lag. It's only like .2 seconds, but that poo poo is very noticeable.

Ultimately what I want is like the below image. Like I said I can throw money at this but I just don't know how to make it happen. I don't mind buying another sound card or whatever. I just need to know that whatever I come up with is going to work. I want audio from games in my video and nothing else. I want audio from my voice chat in another recording and nothing else. I want audio from all sources through both my desktop speakers and my headset, so I can swap between them however I want. Currently I don't even know how to isolate the game audio from non-game audio. The only option I've been able to come up with involves using multiple outputs and using a physical coupler to combine all the sources and then a Y-splitter to pipe it through to my speakers and using a standalone mic and headphones. I'm not cool with that much physical cabling involved.

This is on Windows 8.1 btw.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 12, 2014

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

judge reinhold posted:

If you're using a capture device, wouldn't that automatically take care of segregating the game audio from the non-game audio? Or are you using the capture device to capture your PC where it's also mumbling?

In this case I'm specifically talking about output from a PC that is also using Mumble, yes. I won't be using voice chat on my consoles so that won't be a problem. The problem with the PC is that Windows apparently segregates audio streams by port or device, so for example I can't have Spotify running to both my headset and my desktop speakers. A bigger problem is the "Default Device" issue where you cannot specify where the audio stream goes, so it just goes to whatever is the default at the time. I don't how to specify where my game audio goes. I can however specify where Mumble goes, so that's just always on my headset. The problem comes around when you want to isolate streams for capture because all the capture devices I know of take audio from a plug somewhere, whether it's the Hauppauge taking it from optical or HDMI, or the Avermedia card taking it from a 3.5mm out of the sound card. So I know that at some point, I have to have the game audio stream isolated from everything to a single out which then goes into my capture device, and then join them later physically unless I can find some way to pipe a stream to my headphones independently, duplicated from the stream that goes to the capture device.

This might be a better picture. There could be multiple ways to address this issue but ultimately I need the below outcome.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 12, 2014

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah I think I'm just going to be forced to use physical cables. Thanks

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I figured out my poo poo and now I'm all set up as far as recording goes. Unfortunately I forgot that these videos take up a huge amount of hard drive space. So, now I want new hard drive(s). What do I buy?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Right on, thanks for the help, I should be set for a very long time now I think.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I have a Blue Yeti and Windows8.1, what are some good settings? My friends are telling me that it picks up too much background noise and my voice sounds "hollow". How do I get a full-sounding voice and less background noise? So far the best way I've found is to turn down the mic boost in windows and turn up the gain on the mic itself. I know basically nothing about microphones.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

http://signalnoise.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Mumbl.wav

That's on cardioid setting with mic gain at 100% and the level setting in windows set to 45%

Asked my buddy and he said he was talking about a very small amount of background noise but was making a big deal out of it because "it's there". Does sound a tiny bit hollow to me but upon reflection I think it's ok so possibly nevermind.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Touchfuzzy posted:

If you really want to experiment and spend a little cash, you could make a tiny makeshift audio booth for your mic to sit in...assuming you have a decent amount of desk space. Takes about only 3 or so sheets of foam, preferably acoustic but you can get, like, mattress foam or something. Put it one of those small fold-up laundry boxes or craft boxes by gluing/tacking the foam inside.

It's kinda stupid, but it works. If that's the case, though, I'd try finding a way to figure out that the space you're in is, indeed, a large contributor. Try putting a blanket over and around you and the mic, and see if that cancels some of the noise your buddy hears, or other such tests.

I'll give this a shot. I have some leftover upholstery foam that could use a purpose.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I started using an Avermedia Live Gamer HD a couple weeks ago and it's been fantastic

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I recently upgraded my monitor to a 2560x1440 without realizing it would not work with my Avermedia Live Gamer HD. Is there a <100$ solution to this problem? If not, what is the best software to capture this stream?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

My setup

Avermedia Live Gamer HD capture card
A 1440p monitor

The card will not capture OR passthrough at 1440p. For some reason it also yoinks the monitor1 if I hook it up as the second monitor no matter what port I hook it up from. I want to run 1440p on my monitor until I go to record, at which time I would change resolution to 1080 so my card can handle it. Changing my cabling every time I want to record is a stupid solution, don't suggest it please.

Is there a capture card out there that handles 1440, or is these a splitter that won't grant priority to the capture card?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Ah right. Well, I'm DVI to my monitor but I think it's DVI-I so I guess that should work. Thanks

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

Oh, wait, I just had an idea. Have DVI going to your monitor, then have HDMI going to your capture card. Set it up as two monitors, with DVI as your primary, so your big screen is the main one. When you want to record, set your screens to duplicate display by hitting Windows+P a few times and then the capture card and monitor will have the same display at the lower resolution (1080p).

quote:

For some reason it also yoinks the monitor1 if I hook it up as the second monitor no matter what port I hook it up from.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Is there something I can do with Fraps to make it cause less slowdown? I'm getting intermittent framerate loss. I'd use a capture card but I'm playing in 1440.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

nielsm posted:

First thing is figuring out whether it's pegging on capture (getting screen picture back to RAM/CPU from the GPU), encoding/processing (turning the raw pictures into something suitable for writing to a video file), or writing the video to disk.

The first is pretty much non-fixable as it's a combination of GPU model, system bus bandwidth, RAM bandwidth and what else might possibly interfere with bus operation.
The second is largely a CPU bound operation, though potentially also RAM bandwidth bound.
The last is a disk bound operation, a good SSD as destination is by far the best.

It can also be a problem if your machine struggles to run the game without capturing, as it'll have to divide resources between running the game and capturing+encoding and something will lose out.

My PC runs games just fine, it's a pretty powerful machine. I'll see about dumping to SSD I guess.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Nah, My OS and game are on separate SSDs, and then my dump drive is a WD Black HDD, again separate.

I'll try Shadowplay I guess, I just wish it was possible to run my game at 1440 while recording through a capture card. I have 2, they just only go up to 1080.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

What's youse guys' verdict on the Windows 10 Xbox app recording tool? It seems pretty dang awesome to me so far for recording PC games, much better than fraps

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I've asked this before but I think it's time to ask again-

I use 3 monitors and my primary is a 1440p, and since I changed to this I can't record with my card unless I switch to 1080p resolution on it, since it's a run-through card. What are my options for :

1- Replacing the card with something that can handle 1440p
2- A software that will capture with the lowest impact to framerate, preferably something that will let me capture the last x minutes of gameplay if I hit a button (that'd be rad)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

The problem I have with the Win10 game bar is just making it recognize that I'm even playing a game. I'll give shadowplay a shot.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Never worked for me. I've just tested shadowplay though and it seems perfect. Thanks!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Is it possible to use Shadowplay to record Xbox One to Win10 streams or do I have to use the in-app recording?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I need to record tournament matches. I want a capture device with a built in hard drive or something so that I can set it up without a computer, record on the fly, and retrieve the video later. What's the good one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Xenoveritas posted:

Tournament what matches? From a console? What input source?

Not that it matters, the only one I'm even aware of is the Hauppauge HD PVR Rocket. It works with hard drives if they have an external power source.

Sorry, yes from a console, HDMI.