Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

Highwang posted:

Nope. DXTory is leagues above fraps if only because it doesnt loving slow down my system. The fact that you can use Lagarithic(sp?) as well along with the files not being a fragmented mess make it worlds better than DXTory.

It's not really that cut and dry, some systems work better with DXTory and some works better with Fraps. At the end of the day they are both decent game recorders. Fraps has an upper hand in customer service and DXTory is better if you have many different audio streams that you need to edit individually. Using any encoder you want vs using one that's built specifically for the program, well both sides have their advantage.

I prefer Fraps for ease of use and the quality you get is equal to DXTory. Anyone that claims that Fraps or DXTory is superior in terms of video quality clearly hasn't taken re-encoding and youtube in to account. In any case, both of them do a good enough job, at this point I'd probably just go with the cheaper option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

Slippery Tilde

Dongattack posted:

Should you deinterlace gaming content when you use youtube as a host? My 1080p footage is a bit more blurry than what i uploaded, trying to figure out if there is something i can do.

If it's 1080P then it's not interlaced, the P stands for progressive which means that there is no interlace on the video to begin with.

As far as I know there are no console games nor PCs games that are in 1080i natively. So unless you're up-scaling something from a SD resolution then interlacing shouldn't be an issue.

Dongattack posted:

Unless it happens automatically, i don't think i deinterlaced at all on the first test video. I'm encoding a version where i have pressed "Field options">"Always deinterlace" on all my clips in Adobe Premiere Pro right now. I'm very new, but i'm having a lot of fun learning :)

What version of Premiere are you using? I any case Field options should be set to none, you only use the other options when using videos from certain type of video cameras. It's not used to game footage.

cKnoor fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 5, 2013

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

Slippery Tilde

Xenoveritas posted:

Plus I'm pretty sure some capture devices will only capture 1080i. So it's not outside the realm of possibility to wind up with a 1080i recording, even if the game is capable of 1080p.

Fair point, but it's unlikely, and in this case Dongattacked asked if s/he should deinterlace her 1080p gaming content. With out know more than has been specified in the post, there should not be any de-interlacing going on at all.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

Slippery Tilde

Dongattack posted:

7.0. I guess youtube messes a bit with the quality when it prosesses the video tho, all other 1080p game footage i could find out there had a bit of blurryness to it.

Also i have no capture devices going on, only used Fraps with the options specified in the OP.

What do you define as blurry? Uploading videos to youtube will be transcoded by youtube so you'll always lose some quality that way. However it's very hard to judge if what you're describing is due to youtube or if there's something you can do to improve the quality on your end.

You need to give us more information, and if you have been doing any de-interlacing you should stop it right away, Fraps does not give you interlaced video.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

Slippery Tilde

Dongattack posted:

First i recorded the footage (Planetside 2) with fraps at 1920x1080 which is my resolution ingame, at 30 fps. Then i did my edits in Premiere, not really touching anything that would degrade quality i think, just adding my commentary, making a intro/outro, adding some music here and there. Then i exported the video using H.264 and these settings here: http://whoismatt.com/exportsettings/ and uploaded the product to youtube.

I have since deleted the youtube video, but this video here from Wrel is almost exactly the quality i got, a bit blurry around the edges and aspecially the text: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPhY29qWThE which kinda points in favor of it just being a youtube thing.

For my next upload im trying to grasp using the MEGui plugin and a frameserver like in your tutorial in the OP tho.

If you followed those settings exactly you'de get a bunch of frameblending which might have cause your blur. The video you posted is 720P so it's not going to look as crisp as a 1080p video. That said though from what I can see that youtube video looks "normal" for a 720p youtube video.

My tutorial doesn't work for Premiere CC as the debugmode frameserver doesn't like CC all that much. So you might have to export a losslesss avi file instead and run that through MEGui.

Edit: So I did some googling and there seems to be a frameserver that might work with CC. Debugmode's frameserver is 32-bit where as (at least my install of) Premiere CC is 64-bit, well someone took the time to port the debugmode frameserver to 64-bit and made a CS5 plugin for it. I can't really test it myself right now as I'm exporting a bunch of stuff, but you can download it over here.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/advancedfs/

cKnoor fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 5, 2013

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

Slippery Tilde

Dongattack posted:

Thanks, currently neck deep in Avisynth and MeGUI tutorials.

What setting caused the frameblending so i know what to watch out for? Also out of curiosity, what makes the Adobe Premiere encoder a worse choice? Does it produce bad encoded footage or does it take too long to do it?

Framebleding is usually caused by using a frame rate different than the frame rate of the source video.

You use MeGui because it's better, and you can use the x264. Premiere's h.264 encoder is not as good plus a bunch of other reasons too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

Slippery Tilde

signalnoise posted:

I started using an Avermedia Live Gamer HD a couple weeks ago and it's been fantastic

I have the same capture card, and just be aware that it's not recording at a consistent framerate (at all times) and that I've had a few* instances where it just drops video while still recording mic audio. Luckily for me I usually record a backup and or stream so I can mend the videos I post. But it's still annoying when it happens.

*I've had it happens like 3 times, and I use it heavy every week, probably around 3 or 4 hours or material. So it's not really a regular occurrence.