Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Also, the latest CCCP is not even a week old by now. It's actually seen three updates since the mentioned "Last Update".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if you're having a first-gen PSP without the RAM extension (16MB instead of the later 24MB) you might not have too much fun with the remotejoylite plugin and the overhead that in-PSP video recording needs, either. I hope your game doesn't need too much memory.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Silver Falcon posted:

Mostly I'm wondering what the "Force lossles RGB capture" will do. Doesn't FRAPS record lossless video anyway?

FRAPS by default records in its own native codec, which isn't completely lossless because it stores the movie in YUV color space for better compression, which neccessitates conversion from its original RGB color space. If you absolutely need to have a pixel perfect recording (you don't), then you can instead capture the raw RGB values, which also means that your video will be larger.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So, for anyone who takes Let's Play / audio way too seriously, wants to feel like a real professional, or just has too much disposable income:

Steam currently has MAGIX's Samplitude (a digital audio workstation) for 40% off until the end of the week.
It's a step below their powerhouse software Sequoia, but i've seen Samplitude in a few professional recording and mixing studios.

Why is this even on Steam? Who the gently caress knows. Even more mystifying is that it's part of a sale.
Unless you've also got a band project on the side that can take advantage of all the poo poo this does, you'll probably use less than 3% of this program's capabilities for LPs, but here's your discounted shot at some professional audio software. :v:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Don't get a XLR-Out microphone like the SM58 unless you have a dedicated recording peripheral for that, what the gently caress. Just get a USB mic, i'm sure Sennheiser and Shure have some of those as well.
For PC it's probably the better choice, even, because they have a dedicated analog->digital converter, which isn't your probably lovely analog port on your on-board soundcard in your interference-saturated PC case. Unless you have an external soundcard, but then you're unlikely to ask here for microphone advice.

As for what model in particular you should aim for, i'm not sure. Shure and Sennheiser have the top-line stuff, but i'm personally using some cheap Samson Go Mic i got at some point, which has a foot with a ball-point joint to put on your desk.

If you're travelling a lot, maybe get one with a clip to put on top of your notebook or whatever.
And if you're intent on the SM58, there is a newer model: the SM58 Beta. They sound pretty nice, less harsh, fuller frequencies. For solo voice probably the better choice than the original which was designed for noisy stages. On the other hand, there's tons of old SM58s still going around and you could probably get an old one cheap.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Point Resize is nearest neighbor, yes, and it doesn not impact quality in any way as long as you ONLY resize by integer factors. 2x, 3x, 4x is good, 2.5x is a big no.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yo, let me just say right now that this is not a matter of compression at all. Compression makes you lose the highs, and what's missing here is definitely the lows. It's not your bitrate.

This is either a matter of some messed up equalizer settings somewhere in the audio chain (digital side) or the fault of dodgy contacts (analog side). I had a headset once with faulty contacts that, depending on how you plugged it in, could cut out the vocals in songs, quiet everything to a whisper or make it sound tinny like the sound in that video.

There's a lot of points where equalizing could come in, though. At the Windows sound output level, on the soundchip drivers, through the capture software, maybe at the encoding level...

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Don't plug it into a port with phantom power if you don't want it to go kaput. Aside from that, nothing really notable.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The picture is from some professional-grade effects software, and it uses a combination of different settings over different volume levels (some ranges are compressed, some rangers are expanded) to achieve its effect. It's like two compressors and three expanders at once working on a single voice track.

Trying to replicate that with the barebones Audacity implementation is an excercise in frustration. I'm not sure if Audacity even has an expander setting.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
For reference:

A compressor works by decreasing the signal output over a certain set threshold (ex. -20dB). It'll be decreased by the ratio set for it (ex. 2:1), so for example any noise above the threshold of -20 dB will only increase by 0.5 dB for every 1dB of input above -20dB. This leads to the curve that gets flattened in graphical displays. It leaves quiet noises intact, and makes loud noises less loud, effectively making quiet passages louder.

An expander does the opposite, it applies the ratio below the threshold. So it leaves the loud passages untouched, and makes the quiet parts quieter. This can be use to give a very homogenous soundscape in regards to volume a little more dynamic range back, for example a track that's been compressed before. These are the sharply ascending curves that return to normal at some point. But unless you know exactly what you're doing, you will probably never use this - except for the specific case below.

A noise gate is a very helpful thing for recording voice tracks, because it effectively cuts off all input that's under a certain volume threshold. Set this threshold to just under your normal speaking voice, and the gate will only "open" when you speak, so all other environmental noise, breathing, keyboard clacking won't get recorded (unless you speak at the same time). A noise gate is basically just an expander with an infinite ratio.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I actually have a .3gp video lying on my desktop, right now, in the lower right corner, ready to watch at any time

I guess the difference is, i can actually play it, because CCCP

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
FWIW i wasn't suggesting that CCCP is anything but an end-user solution

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

If you actually care about quality <-> filesize tradeoffs, I learned at some point that the best AAC encoder is actually fhgaac which is really strange because the only way to get it is to install Winamp.

Can you give me a source on this?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Container formats aren't much more than a box with special compartments that you put your video and audio and stuff into.
Some of these boxes have space for multiple videos or subtitles or whatever, some of these come with an ordering system for bookmarks or whatever, some shipping companies (= video players) only accept these and those kinds of boxes.

Whatever box you use, be it avi mkv or mp4, the video/audio stream you put into it will be the same. If the stream fits into that box in the first place. Muxing and demuxing will never (to my best knowledge) influence your video data or compression in any way.

edit: further reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_container_format

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 30, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Are there any tricks or things to watch out for to get YouTube to give me 1080p?
I've uploaded a video i encoded with MeGUI @1920x1080 and 60 FPS, but it's only available at a max of 720p30 in YT.

edit: It's been a few hours since then, so i assume YT encoding is already over

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 30, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Here's the video properties of the clip i uploaded, according to MediaInfo:

quote:

ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L5
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 8 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 4mn 3s
Bit rate : 1 462 Kbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 60.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.012
Stream size : 42.5 MiB (85%)
Writing library : x264 core 148 r2744 b97ae06
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=8 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=600 / keyint_min=60 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=18.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Not really seeing anything wrong, but maybe it doesn't like some encoding preset or something? It's standard MeGUI settings though.

edit: prevent table breakage

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 30, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That was with a quality setting of CRF=16, i think, which i thought is already kinda high-end. How low should i go?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Tried for an encode with CRF 8, which came out to ~7462 kbps and uploaded it. YT just finished working on it and i can watch it now, but it's still only 720p at 30 FPS. I'll wait a couple hours and check again, but i'm not very hopeful.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Wow, i almost might as well upload my raw footage at that point. Well not quite, my raws are at ~34 mbps, but that's still a lot of bitrate. 450 MB for 5 minutes just to get 1080p60.

I'll try uploading another one with a constant bitrate. Out of curiosity, could you link the page where you found that?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Thanks. Unfortunately, that appears to do nothing at all. An hour ago, I uploaded this encoding:

quote:

Video
ID : 1
Format profile : High@L5
Format settings, ReFrames : 8 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 4mn 3s
Bit rate : 12.5 Mbps
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 60.000 fps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.100
Stream size : 364 MiB (98%)
Writing library : x264 core 148 r2744 b97ae06
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=8 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=600 / keyint_min=60 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=12500 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Default : Yes
Forced : No
It didn't even give me a 60FPS option for 720p, much less an 1080p option, even though i'm above 12 Mbps on the video. :(
Still stuck at 720p30

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 30, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
nVidia's Shadowplay just randomly broke for me a couple days ago. Up to then it was a stupidly easy way to record footage, minimal setup required, no real performance hits, and produced videos like this:

quote:

Format profile : High@L4.2
Format settings : CABAC / 1 Ref Frames
Format settings, RefFrames : 1 frame
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=30
Muxing mode : Container profile=High@1.3
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 1 min 50 s
Bit rate : 15.9 Mb/s
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 60.000 FPS
Minimum frame rate : 58.785 FPS
Maximum frame rate : 61.350 FPS
Standard : PAL
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.128
Stream size : 210 MiB (99%)
Title : VideoHandle
Encoded date : UTC 2017-10-15 17:25:12
Tagged date : UTC 2017-10-15 17:25:12
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.601 NTSC
Transfer characteristics : BT.470 System M
Matrix coefficients : BT.601
mdhd_Duration : 110549

And now since a few days ago, every video i record with it looks like this:

quote:

Format profile : High@L4.2
Format settings : CABAC / 1 Ref Frames
Format settings, RefFrames : 1 frame
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=30
Muxing mode : Container profile=High@1.3
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 2 min 24 s
Bit rate : 15.3 Mb/s
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 62.915 FPS
Minimum frame rate : 61.100 FPS
Maximum frame rate : 63.470 FPS
Original frame rate : 60.000 FPS

Standard : PAL
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.118
Stream size : 264 MiB (98%)
Encoded date : UTC 2017-10-28 10:13:36
Tagged date : UTC 2017-10-28 10:13:36
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.601 NTSC
Transfer characteristics : BT.470 System M
Matrix coefficients : BT.601

With no change in drivers, settings or software, it just randomly decides to record at a >60FPS variable frame rate from now on. I'm not even sure what the "Original frame rate" thing is supposed to mean. Watching one of these 62.915 FPS videos results in video stuttering, and trying to encode these the same way i encoded all the videos before results in sped-up video while the audio stays the same and massively desyncs.
I've resigned myself to just shrugging my shoulders at this act of god and moving on, since there's no way to configure Shadowplay aside from "Record at 30FPS / Record at 60FPS" and Google found me no help.

So, what's the current recommended free recording software, that's easy to set up for "hit button to record, hit button again to stop"? Preferably one that doesn't take up 16 GB for a 4 minute video like Fraps.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've downloaded OBS but it's a lot more unwieldy than shadowplay. And for some reason you can only use a quantizer, and not a constant ratefactor if you encode with NVenc???
Had to look up a tutorial or two to figure out how to get it started, but the first test is promising.

Now here's the funny part: After i tried OBS, i recorded another nVidia shadowplay video.

It works properly again :suicide:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's always variable frame rate, but it at least centered roughly around 60 FPs, and averaged out to that before, and not around an arbitrary frame rate a couple fractions above my monitor's refresh rate.

I've tried everything in avisynth to salvage these videos. It's just not possible. The desync is insurmountable.

Also: VFR is a blight on humanity

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, i've tried that, and every other FPS changing filter that exists in avisynth. They somehow miraculously end up changing the audio length, too, so that the audio track then winds up longer than the video track, resulting in desynth anyways. Yes, even the filters that don't touch the audio track.

Here, i've uploaded a short 43 second test track with the immensely hosed frame rate to play around with. I'll be very impressed if you can transcode it into something uploadable to YouTube:
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0BydDylaXlli1aTk3Wjh5V0FFXzQ&export=download

It's text timed to voice acted dialogue, so desync will be obvious immediately at like the half way mark.
This is, by the way, the same scene i recorded like a week earlier in shadowplay with no problems and no desync or FPS troubles at all. :shrug: