Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Niggurath posted:

I could also write up the step by step instructions that I've been given for editing and compressing a gif in GIMP, though I don't understand all of it. It's more just regurgitating steps I was given, but I'm more than happy to lay it out and have someone else maybe spruce it up.

I have something written up somewhere that I was working on a few months ago before I got swamped at work. It was basically MEAT's tutorial in text form with a little extra of why things are done thrown in. Then again, I haven't seen it in months, so maybe it's just a pile of screenshots with no real content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Mega64 posted:

Are there any "advanced" GIF articles anyone would recommend? My general method so far is in AvsPmod I use a Trim function to get the frames I want for the animation, export the images into a folder, and load these images in GIF Movie Gear. Then I adjust timing and Optimize from there, or if I'm feeling goofy, I do easy stuff like reverse or ping-pong frames. I want to go beyond that though, especially since I like to make avatars of various GIFs I make in my Let's Plays, and knowing better ways to optimize them manually than clicking Optimize would help get those trickier GIFs down to avatar-size.

Here's an example of something I'd want to do. Is there a good way to make the GIF background stay static after the initial ball drop so that the NPC flies off the screen rather than him being followed like in-game? I'm sure it's possible editing each individual frame if I get a process down, but I'm wondering if there's an easier way to do or learn it. Or really just any tips that would help me make goofier GIFs, or at least time-saving tips if I do have to edit a bunch of frames manually.

The only way I've done it in the past is the brute force way of editing each frame by hand. It's awful and if there are any alternatives that I'm just too dumb to find, I recommend that instead purely on principle.