Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
I don't think you can make OBS use Lagarith instead of h.264, what you can do is set CRF to 0 and have lossless recording, though that is not really supported and can cause issues with editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Just keep in mind that if you already use lossy compression for your recording you should be careful with further lossy compression or the artifacts will really add up.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Another Person posted:

My suspicion list includes: Audacity settings which I might not understand. OBS custom x264 encoding settings perhaps using too much CPU (currently set to 19, so not too intensive). Perhaps it is Voicemeeter, but I don't think it is because it is fine most of the time.

Any suggestions on what it could be, and how to fix it??

Have you tried recording something that isn't a game? If the problem occurs with something that doesn't use much cpu you could rule that out at least.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
It's also somehow limited in resolution? At least when I tried to record DA:I with 1920x1200 ingame resolution the recording had lower resolution, though I don't remember exactly what it was.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

ProfessorProf posted:

An unfortunate pair of issues:

1. The audio quality in the video sections of my Undertale LP is not good.
2. My hearing is too bad to discern the difference between what I have and actual good quality.

Using OBS for recording. Encoder x264, Codec AAC. After people started complaining, I checked my settings and noticed that the bitrate was set to 128kbps, which I gather is pretty bad (everything 128 and up sounds about identical to me). So, I fiddled with the settings a bit.

128kbps audio, 2000k max video bitrate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI_fabxRvUo

256kbps audio, 2000k max video bitrate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N36ABBCc_E

320kbps audio, 4000k max video bitrate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW6UKwrZPho

I can discern no difference between any of these. Is the quality getting better? Is it getting worse? Is there something else I need to do to get it sounding good?

128 kb/s really is on the lower end of lossy encodes these days. After listening for a bit I would say that 256/320kb/s sound definitely better than your old settings, though the difference in combination with video isn't so great between 256 and 320 I would say but then again it doesn't really make that much a difference in filesize so picking 320 doesn't really hurt. Also google recommends 48khz sample rate but I think OBS has that as default anyway. Video bitrate has no influence on audio or are you trying to see if that makes your video look better?

Junkozeyne fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 10, 2015

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Does it sound ingame better as well? The OST could simple use a better version of the song and not get as much compressed as the game version?

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Xenoveritas posted:

Personally all of them sound fine to me but you can hear an improvement in quality in the 256Kbps version so whatever. I don't know enough about the specific complaints but the bottom line is that 256Kbps should be more than enough and in any case YouTube will reduce that to around 128Kbps regardless.

Is that still correct? At least Google recommends higher bitrate than 128kb/s (https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en) so why would they reduce everything regardless?

In the Realtek HD Audio-Manager is there some option set for the Equalizer? That could gently caress with your audio depending on how it is set up.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Just be aware that every time you transcode something lossy to another lossy codec you lose further quality so avoid/use sparingly if you can.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Bogart posted:

Stupid idiot question here: I'm using OBS to record my video, and that'll spit out a file that uploads to YouTube just fine. So what, then, is the point of encoding video? Is it that pushing the video through Avisynth to sync up the audio tracks will spit out a file that YT won't like?

I'm a comm major and what is this :saddowns:

Well the point of encoding is taking the raw data (not the same as a "raw" as in the first version of the recording) and compressing it in some form, be it lossless or lossy. What OBS does while you record it uses the built-in x264 encoder and produces a video file for you to use. When you, broadly speaking, edit the video file before you upload it you need to re-encode it again so that you can get the new video file you want with the changes applied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

LogicalFallacy posted:

So in moving to my new monitor set-up (an ultrawide primary and a regular wide secondary), I've successfully made Bandicam poo poo itself, and am now figuring out how to work with OBS. My problems right now are various.
1) How do I go about getting it to work with Lagarith? I don't see it in the options for video encoders, and google was no help.

You don't. OBS doesn't support Lagarith but you can set at least OBS studio to lossless h.264 if your cpu can handle it.