Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

VivaVizer posted:

For a VLP, a separate mic audio stream is just good practice in general. Your capture program recording two synchronized audio streams just makes your workflow easier.

If you're doing live commentary, sure.

quote:

[*]Recording at a different FPS than what I'm playing at. Pretty sure when I used FRAPs, it was capped at 30 FPS. I don't really like gaming at 30 FPS.

If that was a problem with older versions of Fraps, it's gone now. As well as being able to record at up to 60fps, you can record at 30 and still play at 60. Unless your computer can't handle 60 while recording.

Also recording at a different resolution than the one you're playing at would be useful for people who want to play a game at their monitor's full resolution but will only need to record 1280x720. Of course that sounds like it's an accident waiting to happen with UI elements to me, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Yeah, for two people (or more if someone's got Skype Premium) Skype only has maybe a second of lag in my experience.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Dongattack posted:

Should you deinterlace gaming content when you use youtube as a host? My 1080p footage is a bit more blurry than what i uploaded, trying to figure out if there is something i can do.

Use a different deinterlace method? Can you show a comparison? In any case, yes.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Dongattack posted:

Unless it happens automatically, i don't think i deinterlaced at all on the first test video. I'm encoding a version where i have pressed "Field options">"Always deinterlace" on all my clips in Adobe Premiere Pro right now. I'm very new, but i'm having a lot of fun learning :)

Your field options in Premiere should give you the options of "upper first", "lower first" and "none"; "none" being the option you want to choose.

Also I wouldn't bother changing anything on the actual clips as you see them in the timeline, it only matters when you go to export the video. If you're frameserving to MeGUI, you could always just not deinterlace in Premiere and throw YADIF on there.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I know it's pretty well agreed upon that the HD PVR's composite recording is garbage, so what's the preferred SD capture method? Is the BlackMagic Intensity (or any other HD capture device that also has SD inputs) any better for it, or would doing SD and HD necessitate two separate capture devices?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Did you get the 64/32-bit version of something when you wanted the other? And is it the same version of Windows, or have you updated the OS?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I would have thought that if you were going to stream something that you knew you were going to want to put some or all of on YouTube, you'd just record locally as well. Hell, can't OBS do that? Or does it not give the option to record locally as well as stream?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Can you screenshot what the original looks like? Sure that's not motion blur being turned on? In any case, I don't think there's really anything you can do if it's happening once it's uploaded to YouTube.

Fun fact: YouTube doesn't actually keep 1080p anymore. The same way that what it calls "480p" is upscaling of 360p, 1080p is upscaling from 720. Not sure what happens if you upload something above 1080p that would give the "Original" quality setting though.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
As well as converting your raw videos to a slightly less massive lossless format, I'd recommend investing in a 1 or 2TB hard drive that you dedicate towards LP footage.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
What's the resolution once you cut the black borders out? If it works the same way my EasyCap did, it should be 640x480 without them.

And I don't remember which of the EasyCap/EZ-Caps are the ones that work and which are the ones that don't anymore; supposedly one of the two variants of the brand name will make your entire house catch fire if you use it.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
PAL is 720x576, so I don't know where his EZ-Cap is getting the extra two lines from. In any case, it'll probably end up being 640x480 or very close to that when he cuts the borders out.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Whenever people talk about splitting AV signals, I get confused. Maybe it's different in America, but in Australia, SD TVs would have composite OUT ports as well as IN, which lets me plug the console (or my switch box) composite cables into the TV directly, then a male/male composite lead from the TV to my capture device. If TVs in not-Australia have those, they'll work just the same; no need to degrade the signal with a splitter or create any sort of passthrough delay or whatever.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
The HDTV in my house doesn't have words on the inputs, so I can't tell if it's got it as well (I would assume so), but it's definitely a standard feature of SDTVs. See?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
If you're not using your whole screen, I think you could probably just do 1280x720.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Cheez posted:

There's smug and wrong, and then there's being exactly right.

Were you the same guy who was really staunchly defending large image files of noticeably lower visual fidelity a few pages back, or was that someone else? 'Cause if that was you, you really just seem intent on aggressively telling people off for giving good tech support, no matter what the situation.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
He's just admitted that he doesn't care that he's being an rear end in a top hat, can somebody with plat report him already?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Psion posted:

Alright, this is reaching past my avisynth abilities and google abilities, so:

I have five videos, all raw files. I want to stitch together clips from each one as a highlight reel. I tried alignsplice and unalignedsplice, but there are framerate differences which apparently stop this - or at least, I get framerate does not match errors.

So I guess A: how can I fix that, or B: since ChangeFPS(30) is at the end of each script for Youtube purposes, can I write a script which uses either splice on .avs files instead of the actual videos themselves? Because then I can just do per-video trimming and fadein/out, then just wad them all up at the end and encode as one big video.

I'm a little confused; if the frame rates aren't consistent, doesn't doing ChangeFPS at the start not solve the issue? Is something like this not working?

code:
video1 = AVISource(path).ChangeFPS(30)
video2 = AVISource(path).ChangeFPS(30)
video3 = AVISource(path).ChangeFPS(30)
video4 = AVISource(path).ChangeFPS(30)
video5 = AVISource(path).ChangeFPS(30)

highlight1 = Trim(video1, start, end)
…
highlight394 = Trim(video5, start, end)

highlightreel = Dissolve(highlight1, highlight2, length)
highlightreel = Dissolve(highlightreel, highlight3, length)
…
highlightreel = Dissolve(highlightreel, highlight394, length)

highlightreel = ConvertToYV12(highlightreel)

return highlightreel

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

PAMaster posted:

I've set the Wii to 480p but it seems like I'm still getting 480i quality from the recording.

I might be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure the Wii only goes up to 480i, which would be why you're getting it interlaced.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Waterfall of Salt posted:

Along with the 15MB upload limit, no longer being able to upload any content except for images, and sometimes the site just refuses to load. Minus has really gone down the drain :smith:

Why does that read like you're saying having fifteen megabytes to work with is a bad thing? It's pointless if you can't upload animated GIFs, certainly, but what's wrong with 15MB?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Something to keep in mind about Premiere, though, is that it can't handle raw Fraps files, you'd have to convert them to Lagarith or something else for it to not crash if you tried to put one into your project.

Also, what's the stance on recommending emulators? It's not talking about ROM piracy, but there's no section for it in the OP and nobody says anything about them.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
It can't handle Fraps files perfectly, at any rate. If it freezes while importing, convert them to Lagarith.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Maybe it is my machine. It's not a fantastic computer anyway, but I'd read several questions on video editing sites that said Fraps files are just incompatible. Must have been outdated.

The cache does get loving huge, too; I was clearing up space on my hard drive last week and found all of my projects I was done with last year were taking up about 50GB of cache files, so if you use Premiere, you may want to check that if you start running low on space.

In terms of emulators, the discussion in the sandcastle about doing LPs on Macs made me want to recommend OpenEmu, an emulator that was recently released for OSX after quite a long time in development. It's mostly a wrapper that lets you view games in an organised library and play them with the various softwares that emulate different systems. It's a really nice, clean emulation solution for Macs that hasn't existed until now, so if you're doing an LP and can only use OSX, this should make things a little easier.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 28, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Any deinterlacing options on your capture device? Otherwise, if I'm not mistaken, Yadif should do the trick.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

ChaosArgate posted:

Youtube's bitrate for 720p playback is around 2000, so if you want to keep sizes low, aim for around there. If not, 3000-4000 will still look nice.

YouTube's encoding guidelines suggest 5,000 for 720p.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Xerxes17 posted:

code:
loadplugin("E:\VideoEditingStuff\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\FFMS2.dll") 
loadplugin("E:\VideoEditingStuff\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ColorMatrix.dll") 
FFIndex("C:\Fraps\Movies\E001Video.avi")
FFVideoSource("E001Video.avi", fpsnum=30)
ColorYUV(levels="PC->TV")
ColorMatrix(mode="rec.709->rec.601", clamp=0)
spline36resize(1280,720)
So now that I've got a working script. I'm sidestepping audio by putting it in at the muxing stage and leaving it out of the avs script. However now my issue is of course, 30mins of raw 1080p FRAPs footage is a ghastly 85GB in size. This appears to be causing FFMS2 to choke as it attempts to FFIndex the clip. Should I bite the bullet and cut the video down to more manageable chunks?

Why are you using FFMS2 on Fraps files? Unless I'm missing something important, you should just use AVISource.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Xenoveritas posted:

You are, you're missing the entire discussion of how the FRAPS AVI codec doesn't deal with colors quite correctly if it recorded using its YV12 mode. (It always converts back to RGB32 and does a bad job of it.) Using the FFMpeg codec deals with that.

That'll show me for not paying attention; thought that was a different conversation.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Start by posting a sample of how you sound with your current settings. The issue is more likely the physical space you're recording in.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I think the Blackmagic Intensity does passthrough, if I recall correctly. Link might still be in the OP.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

EntranceJew posted:

I would recommend getting a set of splitter wires vs a specialized capture device if you need composite input / output.

He's after component; and wouldn't splitters weaken the signal?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Why would you need to update the position every three frames? I'd have thought you should set the first keyframe, go to the end of the clip, move the image to where the moving object has ended up and see what your results are then, then add additional keyframes to make the movement more accurate afterwards. Basically you should only need to make new keyframes when the moving object changes the direction it's moving in.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
supergreatfriend has a comparison in the OP between the Blackmagic Intensity and the HDPVR. The ultimate conclusion was that the difference is negligible once YouTube has had its way with the video, and that you should just use the PVR because it's easier to work with. Since then, if I'm not mistaken, the Elgato came out/got popular and has an easier interface to work with, but since my question actually concerns SD capture, I don't think the Elgato can be considered.

So I'm wondering what the best device would be to do both HD and SD capture. I'd prefer to get both in one, and any time Happauge SD capture devices are brought up it's mentioned how poo poo they are. Is Blackmagic's any better? Which am I better off saving towards?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
So how does Elgato's SD look?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

That loving Sned posted:

Make sure you use the x86 version, and not the x64 one, since that won't read .avs scripts. Unless you're using some pretty demanding processes, you'll probably be able to watch it in real-time, although with some audio desync. It can also help to add a line to the script downscaling the video at the start, so the preview ends up being rendered more quickly.

Um…isn't that not at all how Avisynth works? The whole point is that it's a frameserver and it doesn't render anything until you throw it at MeGUI, I could've sworn.

Tendales posted:

It is kind of annoying getting a video player that works properly with avisynth. Virtualdub works well.

So what's the problem, then? I don't understand.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

skoolmunkee posted:

Yes this is what happened, I'd set something to 29.97 when all the others were set to 30.

Can you elaborate on that a bit? I've got some footage that's 29.97fps and I'll be using Premiere to edit it, so were you changing from 29.97 to 30 and getting ghosting from that?

In fact, as a general question to the thread, will I need to change the frame rate to a clean 30 to export it for YouTube? When I did a PS2 game that ran at 50Hz, uploading 25fps videos didn't cause any issues (no one said anything, anyway); does YouTube not care about frame rates the same way it kind of cares about video resolutions?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Post what your current/previous setups have been. Are you just trying to get your friend to be audible on-stream, are you trying to get him game audio as well as your mic audio, what's your goal?

In any case, your solution is most likely going to be Virtual Audio Cables on Windows. If you're daring enough to try streaming on OSX, you can use Soundflower and LineIn, which will get your audio, your friend's audio and the game audio to all come through, but you'll also have to deal with hearing an echo of your voice.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

BottledBodhisvata posted:

That could work then. Do you have a good/safe youtube-mp3 converter you'd reccomend?

YouTube Center. It gives YouTube a shittonne of functionality as well as download options for videos.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

NuclearPotato posted:

Anyone know how to get OBS to record at non-slideshow speeds? I'm on a dreaded Mac (Mid-2009 Macbook Pro, 4 GB RAM and 3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo 2) and using the newest version of OBS. My test video seemed to be running at about a frame every 1.5 seconds or something.

E: I tried the demo of Screenflick someone used earlier in the thread. That one recorded the video perfectly, so it's got to be an OBS thing.

The multiplatform OBS release is in very early stages of development and you should just not use it for the time being.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
My mic is very close to breaking, so I'm in the market for a new one; the Samson C01U mentioned in the OP is only $60+shipping on Amazon right now. Anyone else have good experience with it and is it worth picking up without the stand/pop filter?

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

I just found a post detailing how to mass upload images to lpix on os x and it ownssss.

Feel free to share, y'know.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 17, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
It's the sound icon that enables and disables a track. The boxes you're pointing at lock tracks so no changes can be made to them. No idea why it's not playing properly in that case, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
How good is the resulting video? Dimensions, frame rate, etc.

I've been using Reflector to record my phone, which is a bit problematic, since everything about the quality and frame rate is dependent on the strength of the network connection it's playing over, but when it works, it works really well.