Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
So for the first time in a while, I'm ready to do another video! And I have my AVIsynth script all ready and everything! But, what's the best video encoder, in your opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Ah, sorry! I didn't know because several were listed, and none of them really came out and said "this is the best". Anyways, thanks a ton!

EDIT: BTW though, why does the MeGUI guide advise you to use a fake email when downloading Nero AAC?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 19, 2013

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

quote:

Mediacoder is unstable and frequently breaks. There's literally no point in using it with MeGUI available.

Ah, I guess it was that one, huh? Whoops, I'm so sorry :sweatdrop:.

And is "x264" connected to MeGUI in a way that means that, if someone's recommending "x264", that means use MeGUI? If it is, I didn't make that connection when I read this...

quote:

Use x264 and NeroAAC you **'s!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 19, 2013

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

quote:

In the OP there are some other applications listed capable of doing what MeGUI does like Zarx264gui, RipBot, and HandBrake. Mediacoder is also capable of using x264, but it has major stability issues (it may or may not still have them, I can't say for sure, I haven't used it in years) which is why we told people to stop using it since ever other post was about mediacoder crashing mid encode or the final video being a scrambled mess.

So aside from Mediacoder, there's basically no difference in anything except user interface?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hmm, for some reason, my usual script isn't working in MeGUI. Dunno if I accidently changed something, but here it is...

AviSource("C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\snes9x-1.53-win32\Movies\"Gariso Run (No Enemies).avi")

It says I'm getting an error on Line 1, Column 68. But I can't see anything wrong there, so what do you guys think it might be?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hello everyone! I'm working on the next update for my Dragon Warrior LP, and this time, I'm thinking I'll do a gimmick for it. I'll record a Youtube video of it instead of doing it with screenshots like I've been doing. And in this video, I'd like to display some footage from the SNES version of it alongside some footage of the NES version (with the NES version being smaller), kind of like this picture here...

From HCBailly's DQ5 LP (and no, his LP is not blurry like this pic is). Unfortunately, I don't have Sony Vegas like HC did when he did this, so, I'm wondering, is there any way I could do this with free software? In any case, thanks for your time!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Alright guys, at long last I'm working on that special episode of Dragon Quest 1. So I've been trying to follow Nidoking's advice in response to this question here...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3590713&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=59#post441588385

And, fortunately, my mind is grasping this whole AVISynth thing WAY better than it did in the past, so I've made some progress. But, even still, because now I'm at an impasse. You see, I have this script here...

code:
a = AviSource("c:\Users\Owner\Dragon Quest I RTA.avi")
b = AviSource("c:\Users\Owner\Dragon Warrior Level Grinding (1).avi") 
c = b.LanczosResize(256, 224).AddBorders(128, 112, 128, 112)
d = StackHorizontal(a, b)
e = a + b + c + d
return e
And unfortunately, despite both videos originally starting at 512x448, AviSynth keeps telling me that the frame sizes don't match on line 5. I'm not really sure what's happening here...so would anyone happen to know what's going on?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Oh, hey, wait a tick. I figured it out now! The code I want is...

code:
a = AviSource("c:\Users\Owner\Dragon Quest I RTA.avi")
b = AviSource("c:\Users\Owner\Dragon Warrior Level Grinding (1).avi") 
c = b.LanczosResize(256, 224).AddBorders(128, 112, 128, 112)
d = StackHorizontal(a, c)
return d
So...there we go. How about that? Turns out, when you ask to stack C, you're actually asking it to stack an edited version of B along with A. And then D is the resulting video, not simply another command. So THAT'S what I wasn't getting. I thought C was just a simple command, but actually, the moment you write it down, it seems that C becomes "the new video B", so to speak...

Alright then, thank you so much!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 30, 2015

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Nidoking posted:

Those letters on the left are called "variables", and when you put a letter or collection of letters, followed by an equals sign, then something that has a value (like an AviSource or a function like LanczosResize or StackHorizontal), what you're doing is telling Avisynth to use that variable name from now on to refer to the thing on the right side. That way, instead of continually saying "the StackHorizontal of a and c", you can just say "d" and it means the same thing. I try to use descriptive names for my variables, like "grindingclip" instead of "b". Then you can say "grindingclip = grindingclip.LanczosResize(blah)" and reuse the same variable name, since you no longer need the pre-resized version. You just have to remember that the script runs from top to bottom, in order, processing each line before moving to the next line. That's confusing for some people.

Yeah. AviSynth was pretty tough for me to wrap my head around even with the AviSynth guide, hence the way I was constantly confused the first time you tried to help me with it. But, this time? I think I'm starting to get it :) .

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

So, one question about making a Minus account. If I do make one...is there any chance it will be able to access any private or sensitive information? Just about anything can be tracked these days, so I'm very nervous about accidentally opening myself up to being hacked or something.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Alright then, I've uploaded an RTA speed run video, which I'm going to split into several other videos for the sake of Leave's DBZ Megathread. But, I'm come across a problem. The video quality seems to be rather poor. The colors don't seem quite right, and the video itself is a little blurry, so, I was wondering what I could do to fix that. For reference, here's the video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJNHNTSeLxY

Here's the AVI Script I used for the vid...

code:
AviSource("C:\Users\Owner\Dragon Ball Z - Super Saiya Densetsu.avi")
scriptclip("counter(current_frame)")
#scriptclip("counter(framecount-current_frame)")

return last

function counter(clip clip, int n)
{
current_frame = n
n = n / clip.framerate()
hour = int(n / 3600)
hours = string(hour)
hours = hour < 10 ? "0" + hours : hours
n = n - hour * 3600
min = int(n / 60)
mins = string(min)
mins = min < 10 ? "0" + mins : mins
n = n - min * 60
sec = int(n)
secs = string(sec)
secs = sec < 10 ? "0" + secs : secs
time = hours + ":" + mins + ":" + secs 
clip.subtitle(time, x=10, y=10, font="frutiger", size=16)
}
ConvertToYV12()
Also, when I made the video it gave me an error message, saying "AviSynth script is in RGB32, not in YV12, even though ConvertToYV12 has been appended. Continue anyway?". I'm guessing that that's part of the problem, so obviously I'm going to try and see what I can do about that. But, I'm wondering, is there anything else I'll be wanting to do? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

nielsm posted:

Line 4 is "return last", it has a return instruction which effectively terminates processing right then and there. Everything after that does nothing.

Thank you so much! I just got my new video uploaded, with that line removed! However, it still looks kind of blurry and low res here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUYrtbzRW7Y

Does anyone know of any way to make the video as sharp as, say, this image here?

[img]http://lpix.org/2289810/Dragon Ball Z - Super Saiya Densetsu (J) (V1.1) [T-Eng0.99Final DragonballZ Translations].2015-11-10 21.35.33.png[/img]

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

You're not going to get it that sharp because compression is going to be lossy no matter what here, but you can limit it by uploading a higher resolution video. Even though the source data is only 144 pixels high, it may be worth it to upload a 480p or higher video just so compression doesn't mess with it as much.

Oh really? Well, does that mine I should double the resolution of the video in VirtualDub? The video itself was only 256 x 224 originally, so I could certainly do 512 x 448 instead.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Whoops, wait, I think I figured this out. Thanks for your time anyway. I just mucked up some stuff on the Dissolve commands.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 8, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Ok this time, I'm sure that I don't know what I'm doing wrong. The script worked fine until I got to the third Dissolve command, but then for some reason, it increased the length of the video by 2.5x the original amount when I added it in. Does anyone know why that may've been?

code:
AviSource("C:\Users\Owner\My LP Part 1.avi").PointResize(960, 640, 0, 0, 0, 0) 
Trim(0, 1000) + Trim(1300, 1699) + Trim(1778, 2307) + Trim(2703, 2787) \ 
+ Dissolve(Trim(3657, 5751), Trim(6707, 6878), Trim(8470, 10527), 30) + Trim(10661, 11005) \
+ Dissolve(Trim(11288, 11671), Trim(13171, 13728), Trim(13945, 14122), Trim(15449, 17680), 30) + Trim(18180, 18429) + 
Trim(18661, 19807) + Trim(20035, 20989) \ 
+ Dissolve(Trim(22478, 23394), 30) + Trim(23569, 23722) + Trim(24049, 24200) + 
Trim(24687, 27584) + Trim(27718, 27939) + Trim(28460, 38863) + Trim(39299, 46504) + Trim(47461, 54566) + Trim(55024, 57889) + 
Trim(58098, 58229) + Trim(58439, 62559) + Trim(63469, 63618) + Trim(65363, 69395) + Trim(69851, 71607) + Trim(72260, 72311) + 
Trim(74212, 81927) + Trim(82336, 84877) + Trim(85577, 94815) + Trim(94902, 96006) + Trim(96480, 97142) + Trim(97827, 98764) + 
Trim(99214, 101788) + Trim(108568, 110023) + Trim(110323, 112225) + Trim(112739, 123913) + Trim(124063, 128548) + 
Trim(129472, 132583) + Trim(133233, 134733) + Trim(135033, 135846) + Trim(136033, 156346) + Trim(158468, 186817) + 
Trim(188511, 195602) + Trim(196716, 201265) + Trim(201570, 202245) + Trim(202728, 203344) + Trim(203705, 219395) + 
Trim(219955, 223605) + Trim(223820, 224908) + Trim(225513, 226271) + Trim(226546, 0)
ConvertToYV12()

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 8, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hello guys! I'm trying to create a custom dancing GIF using GIMP, using this base GIF that I recorded...

And these set of sprites...

The whole point of this is that I'm trying to make this guy do an electric slide of sorts while the animation is playing. But, I have a problem...

The guys different stances are SUPPOSED to fade as he keeps progressing through them, but that's not turning out to be the case. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hey guys. I'm working on a new update for the SRPG game I'm playing, and ran into a bit of an issue with GIMP...

See the above edit? The transparent Ganeishire rectangle is in the base game, but the ARROWS are not! The arrows look exactly the way I want them to...but they took much longer to do than I would've liked. The arrows seem to stack their Transparency percentages when one arrow overlaps with the other, which meant I had to manually select certain areas in order to get what I wanted without having the arrows overlap. Is there any way of setting brushes to 50% opacity, and then NOT having them stack when I draw an arrow that overlaps with another arrow? Thank you for your time, and God bless you.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 30, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Righto. I fooled around with it a little, and found this; I can create a new layer from the Foreground color I wish to use for each individual arrow. I apply a transparent layer mask, and then...viola! My arrows are as transparent as I want them to be! Thank you so much!

Also, if it changes anything, I want each arrow to be transparent when they enter that "Ganeishire Rectangle", but then turn completely solid once they leave said "rectangle". I only mention this because you were confused as to what I was trying to accomplish ;) .

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Alright. Just started my first test stream in OBS, and...the results weren't so good. I got one of my pals to check on it (since my own computer can't seem to view Twitch streams to save it's life; ever), and while the audio was synced just fine...the video was dropping 80% of it's frames. It was fine in my preview window in OBS, but the actual Broadcast lagged a lot. Is there any way of fixing that aside from just getting a faster internet?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

nielsm posted:

If you make a local recording instead of streaming in OBS, is the recording fine?

Also, what resolution, framerate, and encoder settings/bitrate are you using, and how fast is your upload?

EDIT: The recording itself...yeah, it plays fine when I play it on FLV. So the problem isn't that. But, I did notice that I had the "automatically save stream to file" box checked as I was streaming onto Twitch; that's what you mean by recording locally, right? As for the rest...

RESOLUTION: 1366 x 766

RESOLUTION DOWNSCALE: 1.5 (910 x 512)

FPS: 30

ENCODER: x264 (holy cow, didn't see the "QuickSync" option; maybe that's worth using?)

CBR BOX IS ENABLED

MAX BITRATE: 500

BUFFER SIZE: 500

UPLOAD SPEED: Don't know how to check for this, but, when I'm streaming, the "kb/s" bar seems to fluctuate from 300-700.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 19, 2017

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

nielsm posted:

OBS Studio has a button called "Start Recording" right below the usual "Start Streaming" button, if you click that instead you only get a video file instead of (also) streaming.
If the recording saved on your own computer is the expected quality and doesn't drop any frames, you can be very sure the problem is with your upload, but if the local recording is also bad, then it's a problem with your encoding settings.

You can try testing your connection speed at https://www.speedtest.net although keep in mind that site is so popular that some ISPs specifically optimize connections to that so it's not entirely reliable.

The best upload speed test you could make would be if you have access to an FTP server somewhere you can upload a video recording to. Then time the upload, if you can upload it in half the duration of the recording you're definitely good. E.g. if you have recorded 10 minutes of gameplay, you should be able to upload that in 5 minutes, or faster, and if it takes more than 8 minutes to upload you're almost certainly going to have problems.

Ah, just tried it! Download speed is 1.3 Mbps, and upload speed is 0.32 Mbps. Is that bad?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hmm...I'm using a router from AT&T. Just looked online for possible upgrade availabilities from their support website...and it doesn't look like anything's available for my street address. I live in a more rural area, fwy. Do any of you know of any service providers that give good up and down for more rural areas?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

So uh...does anyone happen to know how to search for the best internet service providers for Newcastle, California? I still wish to stream this thing if at all possible; it's just clear that AT&T isn't gonna cut it.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Well, neither of those helped, inspite of my best efforts; so I'm doing it another way. I just uploaded the video, and plan on having me and my commentators commentate on it. Speaking of which...

https://youtu.be/k6vHKpC90sc

Is it just me, or is the video slightly blurry, even on the highest setting? Like, it looks fine at first glance, but...it's like there's some subtle imperfections with it that's hard to explain. Is it artifacting of some sort?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

It's hard to tell; it's as though the colors in this screenshot are more vibrant, clearer to the eye, and/or have less artifacting compared to Youtube. It really could just be my imagination though.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 27, 2017

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Take a screenshot of the YouTube video, blow 'em both up huge, and do the comparison that way. :shrug:

Heh; well, I'm not gonna do anything if none of you see anything wrong. Like I said; it could've just been my imagination.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Xenoveritas posted:

Because of the way video compression works, it's always going to be less clear than a screenshot. Yes, there will be artifacting. You know how you shouldn't use JPEG for pixel art? Well, guess what: video compression is effectively JPEG. (Sort of. They use similar techniques. The bottom line is that it's lossy and targeted for, well, actual video, and not video games.)

I didn't see anything that looked too bad looking at it. It looked slightly blurry, but that's because I was watching a 720p video blown up onto a 1080p screen: it's going to look blurry because it has to scale it up.

Darn. How unfortunate. Ah well! As long as I've done all I can do!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hello everyone; since Youtube disabled the Annotations feature, I've had to migrate to Dailymotion. I'm making some videos for Dragon Quest VI on Strategy Wiki, and figured that annotations allowed me to explain things in ways that I couldn't do otherwise.

However, Dailymotion seems to be...buggy in how it implements Annotations. They seem like they'll look one way in the Previews, but then look entirely different in the video itself. It's hard to explain, so...just look at the following video:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5l9w9z_dragon-quest-vi-vs-mortamor-with-luminary-skills-strategywiki-video_videogames

I really don't know what's happening, but I can never seem to get them to look how I want them to look, despite tinkering with things for hours. Does anyone have any insights as to how to get around this?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hello all. I was just wondering what the best free option is for adding captions to my Youtube videos? Ever since they took down annotations, I've been bereft of a good alternative :( .

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

nielsm posted:

I'm morally obliged to recommend Aegisub for all subtitling and captioning purposes.

Perfect! This is exactly what I needed! Thanks so much!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

For those who know AVISynth & VirtualDub, I'm attempting to do some complicated video editing stuff with my video LP. Most specifically, I'm trying and failing to speed up certain chunks of my video. The base framerate of my video is 60.098 FPS, so this is what I have now...

code:
AVISource("DQ6 Part 1 (Weaver's Peak).avi", "DQ6 Part 1 (Weaver's Peak)_1.avi")
PointResize(last.width * 4,last.height * 4)
Trim(0, 32300) + Trim(33020, 33761) + Trim(34561, 50000).ChangeFPS(600.98).AssumeFPS(60.098, true)
What's missing, here? Virtualdub tells me that the clips "don't have the same frame rate".

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Failing that, separate out your edits and see which step it's failing on.

The AVISource line is at the very top, and it's Line 3 that's saying that the clips are failing to sync. Lines 1 & 2 are fine.

Nidoking posted:

clip1 = clip1 ++ clip2.ChangeFPS(clip1) is pretty much guaranteed to fix that problem.

I'm not sure I understand your post, as I'm pretty bad at AVISynth. I'm reading it like this...

code:
Trim(33020, 33761) = Trim(33020, 33761) ++ Trim(34561, 50000).ChangeFPS(Trim(33020, 33761))
But it doesn't seem like that's what you'd actually mean.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 8, 2020

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

I'm saying structure it a bit more like this... See where you're getting the error message after trying that.

I have this, now.

code:
Invalid arguments to function "PointResize" (Line 2)
It successfully resized the video with my first script, so it seems the difference is within my (last.width/height) as opposed to the (video.width/height)... I think?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 8, 2020

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

And see where you're getting the error message after trying that.

This time it's...

code:
The script's return value was not a video clip, (Is the undefined value)
EDIT: Oh, and you don't need to apologize. Any inconvenience is easily outweighed by you taking the time to help me :)

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Derp. Add "return final" to a line of its own at the end of the script.

YES!! IT (mostly) WORKS!! The only hiccup now is that the audio doesn't speed up with the video. How does one go about that?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Change
code:
speedup = AssumeFPS(clip3,600.98)
to
code:
speedup = AssumeFPS(clip3,600.98,true)

EDIT: That works, so long as I make the following tweak!

code:
video = AVISource("DQ6 Part 1 (Weaver's Peak).avi", "DQ6 Part 1 (Weaver's Peak)_1.avi")
resized = PointResize(video,video.width * 4,video.height * 4)
clip1 = Trim(resized,0, 32300)
clip2 = Trim(resized,33020, 33761)
clip3 = Trim(resized,34561, 50000)
speedup = AssumeFPS(clip3,600.98,true)
normalize = ChangeFPS(speedup,clip1)
final = clip1.ResampleAudio(48000) ++ clip2.ResampleAudio(48000) ++ normalize.ResampleAudio(48000)
return final

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 8, 2020

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

...Hrm. Here's something unusual. The Dissolve effect is causing slowdown when I open it in Virtualdub. The base footage is fine, too. I've never seen it do this before. Has anyone else? If it helps, the footage was recorded off Desmume. It's fine if there's no Dissolve in the AVISynth script.

Speaking of which, here's what the script looks like:

code:
video = AVISource("Milly(2).avi")
resized = PointResize(video,video.width * 2,video.height * 2)
clip1 = Trim(resized,0, 9600)
clip2 = Trim(resized,13560, 103856)
final = Dissolve(clip1, clip2, 60).ResampleAudio(48000)
return final

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Nidoking posted:

No, that's just how the Dissolve filter works. It has to process twice as many clips per frame, so you get significantly less speed. The same sort of thing happens with filters like StackHorizontal. If you want to see the video at full speed, you'll have to render it.

So if I did everything, saved it all as an AVI file, then opened the AVI file in Virtualdub (without the script), it would play normally?