Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I'm messing with avisynth scripting, and I have my video split into several clips to remove excess footage, but I can't figure out how to apply fading so as to avoid jump cuts when I splice them back together. I assume I need to use the FadeIn and FadeOut commands and apply them to each clip as necessary, but it doesn't seem to be working right. Any pointers on what I'm doing wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

I actually figured it out. I was going for a fade-out, then fade-in. My problem was that I was trying to apply the fades, and then splice the clips, so for example:
FadeOut(clipa, 30)
FadeIn(clipb, 30)
clipa ++ clipb

Once I changed to:
FadeOut(clipa, 30) ++ FadeIn(clipb, 30)
it started working as intended.

And I am using VirtualDub for viewing, with tweaks done through the script editor. Thanks though.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Thanks, that's good to know. That should simplify my life somewhat. I looked back through the video and everything looks good now. Encoding now, and it should look nice and (relatively) pretty once I get it onto Youtube.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

What's the preferred video codec for recording VLPs? Right now I'm recording in 1080p30 with Bandicam using the Motion JPEG codec, and I'm not sure how I feel about 15 minutes of recording spitting out a 21GB file.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Alright then. I've got a GTX 970 (bought too recently and wrong brand for me to be thinking of moving on to 1070) and an OCed water-cooled 6600K, so I should definitely be okay with h264. Thanks for the tips. Just out of curiosity, what are the specific issues with MJPEG?

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Ouch. Well that's good to know. I've now got Bandicam and VDubMod set up so I can run with Lagarith or H264. And now what should be my final question (hopefully) for a while. I have to use ConvertToRGB in Avisynth in order for VDubMod to play back my H264 test video. When I do my actual videos, would I need to remove that line before encoding? Or is it fine to just leave it in.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

VirtualDub is supposed to accept pretty much anything that's a .avi file. There's just some variance as to how many hoops you have to jump through in order for it to work. This has reminded me that a good part of the reason I decided to go with MJPEG is that it worked with VDub without any issues. Lagarith does seem to work just fine though.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Is Aegisub still the goto program for subtitled LPs? I want to make sure, since the OP hasn't been updated in a few years.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

CJacobs posted:

Hey, if you're considering downloading the new Geforce Experience so you can see what the new Shadowplay is like, don't, it's missing several pretty important features.
Well, now I'm really glad I'm using Bandicam.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

I just switched over to AVSPMod because of all the things VirtualDub doesn't support. Maybe give that a go?

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Mycroft Holmes posted:

How do I do that?
Click and drag both audio files into Audacity, rebalance volume as necessary, (each track has its own level adjustment bar), and then when you're satisfied, export audio and use the result as your new audio source. Audacity will automatically mix it all down into a basic two track stereo file.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Mycroft Holmes posted:

No I mean how do I separate the native audio from a video?
Ah. I hadn't realized that's what you were asking, since I have my recording software (Bandicam) generate a separate audio file and use that.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

So in moving to my new monitor set-up (an ultrawide primary and a regular wide secondary), I've successfully made Bandicam poo poo itself, and am now figuring out how to work with OBS. My problems right now are various.
1) How do I go about getting it to work with Lagarith? I don't see it in the options for video encoders, and google was no help.
2) When attempting to feed the video through Avisynth, AvsPmod tells me "No compatible ACM codec to decode 0x2000 audio stream to PCM." I assume this can be fixed by changing the audio encoder I use to record? There are so many options though, even limiting myself to the ones that say pcm, so I'm unsure which I should use.
3) The main reason I was using Bandicam was that it allowed me to have it spit out separate audio files for System sounds and commentary. Is there any way to go about doing this with OBS?

Any help on these would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Poking around, MeGUI's MP4 Muxer has a spot for subtitle files, but it doesn't look like it takes .rear end. I don't know how much help that would be for Edmond, but I have plans for my own fairly extensive subtitled VLP.
Anyone here have any experience doing it that way to share how well/awful that works and/or how painful a process it is getting everything to cooperate?

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

I'm currently recording footage for a VLP. Unfortunately, it's a PS2 game, I'm emulating for lack of hardware, and it will only work in software rendering mode, so the quality is not very good. I'm recording at 1080p, and am now thinking of downscaling the videos to 720p to help improve on the quality a bit. I'm using avisynth, and am not sure what the best resizer would be for this.
Anyone have pointers or experience with a similar situation?

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Nidoking posted:

I usually use LanczosResize for anything non-integer based like that, but I suggest hitting the Avisynth Wiki, checking the Geometric Deformation/Resizing sections of the Filters lists, and trying a few to see which you like best.
That was actually the first thing I tried, but the wiki was down last night. I'll have a look when I get off work tonight and see if I can figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Yeah. I've got a 5tb external I picked up for the express purpose of storing my raw footage. If you do pick something like that up whilst visiting lovely 'Murica, you can probably get it for pretty drat cheap. It's not really a problem for me right now, since I'm currently being forced to use a codec that's only spitting out 3gb of audio/video per half hour recording. Once I switch over to lagarith again, that thing's going to fill up pretty drat fast.