Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Green Crayons posted:

The appeals process.

Not being glib. That's what there is.
Federal judges can be impeached. There's also a procedure for complaining about a judge's conduct, but you are specifically not allowed to complain about rulings using that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Green Crayons posted:

Burp. Wrong. EW quoted it himself:

Wrong. The secretary established the exchange, on behalf of the state. Any state exchange was established on their behalf by some individual with the authority to act on behalf of the State. A state isn't a person, it cannot do anything on its own behalf. But even if it can: I can, as someone's authorized agent, sign things with their name on their behalf and they are signed by that person. They are not signed by me: they are signed by the person on whose behalf I am acting. Like if you give me power of attorney, I can go scrawl "Green Crayons" on all sorts of contracts and they are signed by you. Not by me.

That section empowers the Secretary to establish the exchange on behalf of the State, not on behalf of the Federal Government. The ambiguity being introduced is our common imprecision about discussing exchanges as "federal" exchanges because we all know what that means, but that's not a legal argument.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
EW: I concede that I was quite incorrect about the law, based on my assumption that the portion you quoted was found in 1311 and not 1321. I would expend several hundreds of words to further disagree with you w/r/t whether the provisions providing for the Federal Government to establish an exchange is tantamount to an agency relationship, but as my argument would be based on my imaginary version of what the law says, it therefore would be as equally wrong as my previously asserted statutory interpretation analysis, I'll spare us all.

twodot posted:

Federal judges can be impeached. There's also a procedure for complaining about a judge's conduct, but you are specifically not allowed to complain about rulings using that.
Yet, of all fifteen federal judges who have been impeached, none was because of a sufficient "bad faith" in asserting a legal rationale.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
Does the Gov't want to en banc and drag this out or go straight to SCOTUS? It'll probably get reversed en banc since I think DC is mostly Democrat appointed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Allaniis posted:

Does the Gov't want to en banc and drag this out or go straight to SCOTUS? It'll probably get reversed en banc since I think DC is mostly Democrat appointed.

They've already said they're going en banc, and it's the right move. En banc they will win, and then lower courts are uniform in rejecting this argument which makes it more likely that the (unfriendly) Supreme Court will even take the case.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So for someone who doesn't have a law background, what are the pros and cons to going en banc here? If the full circuit rules to uphold the law, what does that accomplish?

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

FlamingLiberal posted:

So for someone who doesn't have a law background, what are the pros and cons to going en banc here? If the full circuit rules to uphold the law, what does that accomplish?

That means it would be consistent with the 4th circuit opinion which would make it less likely that SCOTUS would grant cert. En banc would get you a majority democrat appointed (which isn't dispositive of anything, but is still pretty highly suggestive) court, likely overturn this decision, and keep you out of the conservative SCOTUS. There really isn't any con to appealing en banc. Even if they somehow affirm this decision, you can still appeal that to the Supreme Court as a last resort.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
I didn't see this mentioned earlier, but maybe I missed it. The Congressional Budget Office report, which is the "what does this cost" report stapled to every piece of legislation, made their cost calculations assuming everyone, in all the states, got the subsidies. So, the understanding of the people who read (or didn't) and voted on the legislation was that everyone would be covered. This was wiped out by Roberts when he invalidated the part where states had to comply to receive Medicare money. Nobody was prepared for states to refuse until that ruling made the penalty way less onerous.

So, the intent of Congress is pretty clear. On the other hand, Roberts' specialty is invalidating part of a law or precedent, and then using that as leverage to further destroy it. So who knows.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

That means it would be consistent with the 4th circuit opinion which would make it less likely that SCOTUS would grant cert. En banc would get you a majority democrat appointed (which isn't dispositive of anything, but is still pretty highly suggestive) court, likely overturn this decision, and keep you out of the conservative SCOTUS. There really isn't any con to appealing en banc. Even if they somehow affirm this decision, you can still appeal that to the Supreme Court as a last resort.
Thanks, that makes sense.

I just wonder if Roberts really wants another Obamacare case like this on his hands.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

evilweasel posted:

They've already said they're going en banc, and it's the right move. En banc they will win, and then lower courts are uniform in rejecting this argument which makes it more likely that the (unfriendly) Supreme Court will even take the case.
I think there are two or three similar cases pending in other districts, which may or may not create a future circuit split. It also depends if the Supreme Court will take the 4th Circuit appeal immediately or allow the DC Circuit to hear the case en banc.

I think the longer the administration is able to drag this out, then the better chance of them winning at the Supreme Court level. Ripping subsidies from people may be harder for Justices to do after a year of giving them out, but hey, portions of VRA got invalidated.

The SCOTUSBlog commentary is pretty good, if people want a five minute distillation.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Thanks, that makes sense.

I just wonder if Roberts really wants another Obamacare case like this on his hands.

Even if he did (which seems silly since this doesn't appear to be a constitutional question so much as one about the wording of a real specific passage of this law) when is the earliest the Supreme Court could take the case? I hate to get political about the healthcare of millions of people, but if the possibility of removing subsidies comes up close to the 2016 elections than any candidate running for pres. isn't going to be named 'Obama' and would probably have more leeway to run on altering parts of the law that people don't like. And having premiums increase by 76% cause of ambiguous wording about subsidies seems like something that people wouldn't like.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think next Spring?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

*deep breath*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What's that about geese and gander, and what's good for them?

Astute people have pointed out that this would only overturn informed consent laws in states that have passed a state RFRA, but cursory wiki'ing shows 19 deeply conservative states have done so, the exact ones most likely to have 'informed consent' laws.

How do I donate to the Church of Satan? They are truly doing God's work.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Everblight posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

*deep breath*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Astute people have pointed out that this would only overturn informed consent laws in states that have passed a state RFRA, but cursory wiki'ing shows 19 deeply conservative states have done so, the exact ones most likely to have 'informed consent' laws.

The likely outcome for this is dismissed for failure to state a claim, affirmed in a 2 page order at circuit court, cert. not granted. Basically, they're hoping to get lucky with a sympathetic district court or circuit court judge who forces an en banc circuit court or the Supreme Court to have to write an opinion distinguishing the case from Hobby Lobby and therefore get some news coverage out of it; it's 99% certain that they're not going to win the case.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Doesn't really matter - they aren't trying to win, but if they keep it tied up in court it gives sympathetic doctors a fig leaf when their patient walks in and says "I am a member of the CoS and it's against the law to read me that paragraph." At least until it's resolved, that's all a doctor (who is likely to be on their side anyway) an excuse to ignore the ridiculous informed consent laws.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

blackmongoose posted:

The likely outcome for this is dismissed for failure to state a claim, affirmed in a 2 page order at circuit court, cert. not granted. Basically, they're hoping to get lucky with a sympathetic district court or circuit court judge who forces an en banc circuit court or the Supreme Court to have to write an opinion distinguishing the case from Hobby Lobby and therefore get some news coverage out of it; it's 99% certain that they're not going to win the case.

It's still a good troll and could possibly raise awareness of those anti-abortion propaganda laws or at least of the Satanists themselves.

The Satanists are the kind of atheist activists I like, rather than the Bill Maher/Richard Dawkins "Feh religious people are all maroons am i right" type atheist public figures.

I'm just curious, why haven't laws like those been struck down on First Amendment grounds? I know the real reason but I'm curious what the legal argument is because that seems to severely restrict the free speech rights of the abortion providers. Then again the Eleventh Circuit just upheld a similarly retarded Florida law, that apparently forbids medical practitioners, including pediatricians, from asking parents what kind of safety precautions do the parents take in securing their firearms. The Eleventh Circuit held 2-1 that Florida is exercising legitimate regulation of the medical profession. Astounding.

EDIT: I'm sure Kiwi will defend the gun decision or possibly both these practices.

double EDIT: I did not read the decision I read a slate article about it that was not by Dahlia Lithwick so my characterization of the law may be inaccurate.

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 29, 2014

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Jagchosis posted:

It's still a good troll and could possibly raise awareness of those anti-abortion propaganda laws or at least of the Satanists themselves.

The Satanists are the kind of atheist activists I like, rather than the Bill Maher/Richard Dawkins "Feh religious people are all maroons am i right" type atheist public figures.

I'm just curious, why haven't laws like those been struck down on First Amendment grounds? I know the real reason but I'm curious what the legal argument is because that seems to severely restrict the free speech rights of the abortion providers. Then again the Eleventh Circuit just upheld a similarly retarded Florida law, that apparently forbids medical practitioners, including pediatricians, from asking parents what kind of safety precautions do the parents take in securing their firearms. The Eleventh Circuit held 2-1 that Florida is exercising legitimate regulation of the medical profession. Astounding.
I imagine the argument goes something along the lines of "Free speech means the government cannot come after you for saying something." Which is different from the government forcing you to say something. The doctor cannot (ideally), under free speech, be prevented from or punished for saying "I am forced to give you this pamphlet on informed consent, but in my professional opinion the content is bullshit", but he still has to give them the pamphlet because of regulations.

That you are forced to disclose something if you hold certain jobs or provide certain services is hardly unique to doctors. It's just that usually the stuff you have to disclose makes sense (like say a judge recusing himself due to bias if he personally knows a defendant) and is not political propaganda.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Jagchosis posted:

I'm just curious, why haven't laws like those been struck down on First Amendment grounds? I know the real reason but I'm curious what the legal argument is because that seems to severely restrict the free speech rights of the abortion providers.
The argument used to justify them is the same used to justify laws banning gay conversion therapy for minors, ie: that the doctors' conduct in this case is a form of treatment, not only speech.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Everblight posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

*deep breath*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So what does this have to do with Hobby Lobby? It's individuals making claims (not corporations), and its against state RFRAs (not the federal one). Wouldn't their argument be just as good if Hobby Lobby came out the opposite way?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's a really bad argument, and an abuse of the first amendment, probably.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

esquilax posted:

So what does this have to do with Hobby Lobby? It's individuals making claims (not corporations), and its against state RFRAs (not the federal one). Wouldn't their argument be just as good if Hobby Lobby came out the opposite way?
Part of the Hobby Lobby decision rested upon the court's judgment that the HL's owners' belief that certain contraceptives were abortifacients was the compelling issue (not whether or not the drugs actually are abortifacients). I believe they're trying to make a connection between that and the CoS's sincere belief that the "informed consent" abortion laws are bullshit.

Yeah, it's a stretch.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That gun law and doctor bill is gross. So basically you're criminalizing doctors doing their job. Great work.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FlamingLiberal posted:

That gun law and doctor bill is gross. So basically you're criminalizing doctors doing their job. Great work.

No, they're protecting the precious second amendment from nosy doctors and their puppet masters in the gun theft government.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
She sees us! She likes us! :allears:

Ginsburg on Notorious R.B.G.: “It’s something that I enjoy”

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
drat, just came here to post that. I love how she corrects Katie right from the get-go "Uh, look here, bitch - I've been a big deal on the Internet for a while now."

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

AtraMorS posted:

Part of the Hobby Lobby decision rested upon the court's judgment that the HL's owners' belief that certain contraceptives were abortifacients was the compelling issue (not whether or not the drugs actually are abortifacients). I believe they're trying to make a connection between that and the CoS's sincere belief that the "informed consent" abortion laws are bullshit.

Yeah, it's a stretch.

Hobby Lobby really didn't rest on the owners' beliefs about how certain contraceptives acted. The United States conceded that the four contraceptive methods in question could prevent implantation of a fertilized egg when used correctly.

10th Circuit posted:

There is an ongoing medical debate as to whether some of the contraceptive methods relevant to this case act by preventing implantation or fertilization. Compare e.g., Physicians for Reproductive Health et. Amicus Br at 12-13 with rear end'n of Am. Physicians & Surgeons et al. Amicus Br. at 12 and n21. This is relevant because Hobby Lobby and Mardel object to forms of contraception that prevent uterine implantation, but they do not object to those that prevent conception. For purposes of this appeal, however, there is no material dispute Both the government and the medical amici supporting the government concede that at least some of the contraceptive methods to which the plaintiffs object have the potential to prevent uterine implantation.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

:allears:

Made me check the referenced Tumblr page and I saw this:

Which timed nicely with a Vox article. The portraits on dollar bills are decided by the Secretary of the Treasury so I think the only way to oppose a change would be to pass a law. C'mon Obama, give the Treasury Secretary the order.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The CoS's suit is also doomed because Alito was quite clear that the religious exemption only applies to beliefs that he, Sam Alito, happens to share.

None of that kooky nonsense about blood transfusions, or vaccines, or haram or anything else that those weird cults which aren't Catholic or mainline Protestant believe.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

KernelSlanders posted:

Hobby Lobby really didn't rest on the owners' beliefs about how certain contraceptives acted. The United States conceded that the four contraceptive methods in question could prevent implantation of a fertilized egg when used correctly.
Hmm...not sure where I got that idea then. My mistake.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

AtraMorS posted:

It's been repeated uncritically in many op-eds and even some news articles on the topic. This LA Times article for instance.

quote:

Medical experts say that while this is in the realm of scientific possibility, it is not how such contraceptives work. They are designed to prevent fertilization in the first place. But, as the court said, only the Greens’ beliefs matter here.

I would hardly fault anyone for believing the media, although it's quite common for SCOTUS reporting to miss what was and wasn't actually at issue in a case.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

AtraMorS posted:

I don't blame you, that characterization is really popular in blogs, clickbait and news sources. In general, when a story might fit a popular narrative (in this case "conservatives are anti-science and anti-woman"), it's more important than the actual facts of the case.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
It's worth noting that the American Association of Physicians and Surgeons is a bunch of reactionary cranks who nobody in the medical establishment, research or otherwise, takes seriously and so their amicus brief being cited by the 10th circuit as evidence of one side of an "ongoing medical debate" is kinda sad.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Isn't their chance of stopping implantation on the same level of how certain over the counter medicines can also stop implantation?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Isn't their chance of stopping implantation on the same level of how certain over the counter medicines can also stop implantation?

I'm not sure about exact chances but yes stuff like Ibuprofen can also do it. That's why the government admitting that there's a chance is like Lloyd in Dumb and Dumber getting excited for his one in a million chance with Mary only this time it's taken as a legitimate reason to oppose something that actually reduces abortions in a statistically significant way instead of being comically idiotic.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Radish posted:

I'm not sure about exact chances but yes stuff like Ibuprofen can also do it. That's why the government admitting that there's a chance is like Lloyd in Dumb and Dumber getting excited for his one in a million chance with Mary only this time it's taken as a legitimate reason to oppose something that actually reduces abortions in a statistically significant way instead of being comically idiotic.

The FDA label on Plan B literally says that it can prevent implantation though. Ibuprofen's does not.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The FDA's probably shouldn't.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/06/health/research/morning-after-pills-dont-block-implantation-science-suggests.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

It's like climate control where the debate has been muddied to the point where you have the scientific side and the "I believe it's this way" side and we have to pretend that they are equivolent and then it gets political. Legally it may be much more in favor of Hobby Lobby but realistically it's very clear that the case for being against Plan B because it causes potential abortions is incredibly bad and is only being held because of the ridiculous belief argument and the RFRA allowing people to get around facts in order to enforce their beliefs (this being a misogynistic agenda) on others.

I really don't see how logically it's not like saying you won't pay for any medication that has a non-zero chance of killing the patient through extreme complications since you are against suicide.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
If anyone that hated McCullen v. Coakley wanted some silver lining to the ruling, here you go:
http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/08/03/4048491/wake-judges-ruling-to-dismiss.html

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The government had a sound legal strategy for conceding the effects of the drugs at issue. Not everything need be analogized to a Jim Carrey film.

The N&O article should probably also be taken with a grain of salt- it's mostly wishful thinking from civil libertarians. It's historically been a pretty easy task to distinguish government legislatures from generic public property in terms of the public interest being served by speech/protest restrictions.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 7, 2014

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

US legal question for you lot, how can you be convicted of both murder and manslaughter at the same time if there's only one victim? :confused:

Jury rejects self-defence claim, convicts Detroit homeowner of murdering Renisha McBride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
A single act can break multiple laws. The general idea of going for multiple charges is that if they couldn't get murder, they might still get manslaughter, which is easier to prove. Conversely a conviction of murder doesn't preclude a lesser conviction as well.

There's also stacking as much poo poo as possible to gain leverage for a plea bargain and probably other reasons I don't even know about