Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

-Troika- posted:

Concern trolling: a made up term that means "I disagree with you but I'm too dumb to explain why".

Except it was explained in detail through out the storm of shitposting, only to be met by some bizarre combination of back pedaling and supposed puppetry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ9prhPV2PI

They'd have done better with a grumpy dog for Scalia

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Discendo Vox posted:

It's worth noting that Scalia has seniority- any justice removed other than Scalia would result in him operating as chief justice in the interim. Removing Scalia would put Kennedy in the hotseat, which would be potentially beneficial, but there are others I'd like off the bench first.

Not sure what you meant to say here, but that's not how the position of Chief Justice works. Chief Justice is a separate position to which a person must be nominated or confirmed. Roberts is Chief Justice, and so long as he is on the bench he remains Chief Justice, regardless of who else might step down or get removed. The only way Scalia would become interim Chief Justice is if Roberts stepped down, leaving the Chief Justice's seat vacant. In that case, Scalia would be Chief until confirmation of a replacement.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Discendo Vox posted:

It's worth noting that Scalia has seniority- any justice removed other than Scalia would result in him operating as chief justice in the interim.

:stonk: A sobering thought.

Wait, are you saying that if Thomas dies or whatever, then Scalia becomes CJ and Roberts gets bumped down?

Edit: beaten and answered. Never mind.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

Your suspicion is correct. He spoke at a friend's law school. She asked him if in light of his philosophies on textual originalism, he thought Marbury v. Madison's position on judicial review was wrongly decided, and if so, should the Supreme Court just pack it up? :smugdog:

He was not amused.

Too bad he would never give a serious answer on that one.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Randy Barnett has an originalist defense of Marbury that, if you're an originalist, is pretty strong: Jefferson understood "the judicial power" in Madison's draft to mean judicial review as we understand it, even though he was in France at the time, therefore the public understanding of "the judicial power" incorporated judicial review, therefore Marbury's cool

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Not My Leg posted:

Not sure what you meant to say here, but that's not how the position of Chief Justice works. Chief Justice is a separate position to which a person must be nominated or confirmed. Roberts is Chief Justice, and so long as he is on the bench he remains Chief Justice, regardless of who else might step down or get removed. The only way Scalia would become interim Chief Justice is if Roberts stepped down, leaving the Chief Justice's seat vacant. In that case, Scalia would be Chief until confirmation of a replacement.

I added Scalia instead of Roberts once- good eye- I'l correct it.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

So I was listening to Against the Grain on KPFA and I heard and interview with Rob Hunter who wrote the Jacobin Piece, "Waiting for SCOTUS" and I heard his bio blurb included "politics, free software, history, and science fiction. I recently completed a Ph.D. in political science" so what I'm wondering is what is his SA Username?

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

No idea, but that article is pretty lovely.

quote:

The Court’s conservatives began to reject the capacious understanding — arrived at during the New Deal — of Congress’ ability to regulate economic activity at the state level, striking down the Gun-Free School Zones Act and part of the Violence Against Women Act. (Exceptions were made for Congress’ ability to pursue conservative policy objectives, such as using federal law to undo state-level efforts to liberalize drug laws.)

quote:

It’s not too late — it’s never too late — to join in the search for a politics in which judicial interference with democracy is not only unnecessary but unthinkable.

"gently caress the Bill of Rights, I can't think of any repercussions except full communism, of course."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SCOTUS is holding a hearing Friday to determine if they will hear the Obamacare subsidies case. They will act before the DC Circuit rehearing occurs.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FlamingLiberal posted:

SCOTUS is holding a hearing Friday to determine if they will hear the Obamacare subsidies case. They will act before the DC Circuit rehearing occurs.

welp, bend over again poors, big daddy J-Rob gonna put you in your place. :smith:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is this the stupid case that tries to say that the federal exchange isn't a state exchange and is not eligible for subsidy?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah, the argument is that according to the letter of what is in the ACA, if a state refused to set up their own exchange, people in that state who have to use the federal exchange instead should not be allowed to get their plans subsidized. They claim the law says that a state exchange is the only way you can get your plan subsidized, which is ludicrous. But there are several right wing groups suing over Obamacare on issues like this because they believe if they find just the right weakness in the legislation, SCOTUS will act and then decimate the bill. Obviously if they decide to take this, it's not a good sign. But it would be kind of odd if Roberts did, since he basically saved the law from death two years ago.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Also it sounds like the most blatantly political rules-lawyering that would make them an absolute laughing stock if they actually cared about that. IANAL so maybe it has merit but from a layman's perspective the argument is absolutely absurd, especially considering the guy that wrote it says they are wrong (yes that wouldn't be the first time).

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Radish posted:

Also it sounds like the most blatantly political rules-lawyering that would make them an absolute laughing stock if they actually cared about that. IANAL so maybe it has merit but from a layman's perspective the argument is absolutely absurd, especially considering the guy that wrote it says they are wrong (yes that wouldn't be the first time).

One of the newish developments after the DC court decision is that people discovered video and audio of the guy who wrote it saying the opposite in January 2012 (after it was already passed but before HHS released their rules) complete with reasoning for why federal exchanges can't get subsidies. He has gone back on this and called it a "speak-o, like a typo". Not as important as what the law actually says or whether it's ambiguous, but it provides evidence that the situation isn't completely absurd.

I still see it as political lawyering, but they do have an argument.

The Gruber quote for context:

quote:

Questioner: You mentioned the health-information [sic] Exchanges for the states, and it is my understanding that if states don’t provide them, then the federal government will provide them for the states.

Gruber: Yeah, so these health-insurance Exchanges, you can go on ma.healthconnector.org and see ours in Massachusetts, will be these new shopping places and they’ll be the place that people go to get their subsidies for health insurance. In the law, it says if the states don’t provide them, the federal backstop will. The federal government has been sort of slow in putting out its backstop, I think partly because they want to sort of squeeze the states to do it. I think what’s important to remember politically about this, is if you’re a state and you don’t set up an Exchange, that means your citizens don’t get their tax credits. But your citizens still pay the taxes that support this bill. So you’re essentially saying to your citizens, you’re going to pay all the taxes to help all the other states in the country. I hope that’s a blatant enough political reality that states will get their act together and realize there are billions of dollars at stake here in setting up these Exchanges, and that they’ll do it. But you know, once again, the politics can get ugly around this.

A lot of the new briefs in these cases reflect this information.

esquilax fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 4, 2014

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
the other interpretation of that quote being "if you're a state and you don't set up your exchange, the federal government might not have theirs running" (which it didn't) "so your citizens might not get their subsidized health care"

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
serious question...isn't ALL constitutional litigation "rules lawyering"?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

the other interpretation of that quote being "if you're a state and you don't set up your exchange, the federal government might not have theirs running" (which it didn't) "so your citizens might not get their subsidized health care"

True, but the other audio doesn't really talk about timelines, just setting up exchanges or losing subsidies.

Since I didn't want to transcribe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbMmWhfZyEI

I think he was actually confused about the subsidies on the exchanges versus the other provisions around this, like medicaid expansion and the few million in subsidies for setting up an exchange.

Regardless of the truth, this is already playing a role in the legal debate.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Working example of rules lawyering:

My name in the subpoena is in all caps, my true name is in upper and lower case letters, therefore your subpoena is directed at a fictitious thrall of the federal government and I don't have to pay taxes, also the flag here has gold fringes so this is an admiralty court, YOU HAVE NO POWER OVER ME!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah, the argument is that according to the letter of what is in the ACA, if a state refused to set up their own exchange, people in that state who have to use the federal exchange instead should not be allowed to get their plans subsidized. They claim the law says that a state exchange is the only way you can get your plan subsidized, which is ludicrous. But there are several right wing groups suing over Obamacare on issues like this because they believe if they find just the right weakness in the legislation, SCOTUS will act and then decimate the bill. Obviously if they decide to take this, it's not a good sign. But it would be kind of odd if Roberts did, since he basically saved the law from death two years ago.

Could Roberts just want to punt this thing on standing? Standing in this case was never very clear to me.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

hobbesmaster posted:

Could Roberts just want to punt this thing on standing? Standing in this case was never very clear to me.

The 4th circuit agreed that they have standing, it's weird but it's solid.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

esquilax posted:

One of the newish developments after the DC court decision is that people discovered video and audio of the guy who wrote it saying the opposite in January 2012 (after it was already passed but before HHS released their rules) complete with reasoning for why federal exchanges can't get subsidies.

A lot of the new briefs in these cases reflect this information.

Sort of irrelevant though, as the opinion of one guy involved in drafting has nothing to do with Congress' views and everyone else in the world thought the opposite of that quote. I mean, yes, one person said it would work that way, but people deny climate change too. It's not even really legislative history in the standard meaning, and the current Court is suspicious of normal legislative history as an interpretive guide, much less this kind of external descriptive statement.

If they cite it in ruling against - which would surprise me - expect a pretty scathing dissent with lots of Scalia quotes about legislative history.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

ActusRhesus posted:

serious question...isn't ALL constitutional litigation "rules lawyering"?

Not in this thread.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"Rules lawyering" means you're acting like a lawyer in an inappropriate context. Arguing before a court is an appropriate context.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Kalman posted:

Sort of irrelevant though, as the opinion of one guy involved in drafting has nothing to do with Congress' views and everyone else in the world thought the opposite of that quote. I mean, yes, one person said it would work that way, but people deny climate change too. It's not even really legislative history in the standard meaning, and the current Court is suspicious of normal legislative history as an interpretive guide, much less this kind of external descriptive statement.

If they cite it in ruling against - which would surprise me - expect a pretty scathing dissent with lots of Scalia quotes about legislative history.

Yeah I agree, you elipsed out the part where I said that. What the chief architect of the bill said or thought is not as important as what the law actually says or whether it's ambiguous, but it does provide evidence that the resulting situation isn't completely absurd.

If Scalia were to use the quote, I have a feeling he would use it as an argument for textualism - using congressional intent and legislative history isn't useful and is unclear its very nature, because people hold different opinions and have their own thoughts.

haveblue posted:

"Rules lawyering" means you're acting like a lawyer in an inappropriate context. Arguing before a court is an appropriate context.
I can't speak for anyone else but I called it political lawyering because I don't believe the initial academic proponents of the "no subsidies" interpretation actually believed it was more than a typo or poor drafting. Though they may have convinced themselves as they developed their argument.

As opposed to, say, second amendment interpretation where both sides generally believe in their interpretations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
States rights prevent the federal government from offering a federal tax subsidy on a federal health insurance exchange.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Zivotofsky v. Kerry was argued yesterday - it's a pretty interesting case about State Department passport policy re: people born in Jerusalem.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

esquilax posted:

I can't speak for anyone else but I called it political lawyering because I don't believe the initial academic proponents of the "no subsidies" interpretation actually believed it was more than a typo or poor drafting. Though they may have convinced themselves as they developed their argument.

As opposed to, say, second amendment interpretation where both sides generally believe in their interpretations.

Pretty much all constitutional litigation involves arguments over the nuances of word choices in specific pieces of legislation to some degree or another.

And "poor drafting" is a pretty common reason for statutes to get overturned. If it's poorly written in such a way that it can be interpreted as unconstitutional and there isn't clear evidence of legislative intent to the contrary...then it's unconstitutional. This is an oversimplification, of course, but whining that someone is "rules lawyering" or "political lawyering" at SCOTUS is kind of like opening up an all you can eat buffet and whining when people go back for seconds.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

Zivotofsky v. Kerry was argued yesterday - it's a pretty interesting case about State Department passport policy re: people born in Jerusalem.

That's a really interesting case. Reading the coverage on it, I wonder if the analysis would be different if, for example, rather than ZOMG ISRAEL!!!! the issue in question was a family from "Taiwan" not wanting to be documented as coming from "Chinese Taipei," and whether we would care as much about pissing off the Chinese as the Palestinians, or if that example was used in argument. (Too lazy to listen to full argument) But it seems we are somewhat picking and choosing when we choose to recognize a country's self-proclaimed sovereign borders and when we don't...which I suppose is the essence of executive foreign policy decision-making.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

ActusRhesus posted:

That's a really interesting case. Reading the coverage on it, I wonder if the analysis would be different if, for example, rather than ZOMG ISRAEL!!!! the issue in question was a family from "Taiwan" not wanting to be documented as coming from "Chinese Taipei," and whether we would care as much about pissing off the Chinese as the Palestinians, or if that example was used in argument. (Too lazy to listen to full argument) But it seems we are somewhat picking and choosing when we choose to recognize a country's self-proclaimed sovereign borders and when we don't...which I suppose is the essence of executive foreign policy decision-making.

That's something that the US wouldn't do. Might as well ask "what if someone wanted their passport to say they're from Aztlan."

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

hobbesmaster posted:

It turns out there is a doughnut where very poor people aren't required to get insurance, somewhat poor people qualify for a tax credit which bumps them into the required to get insurance bracket, but the subsidy they qualify for is less than the cost of insurance minus the tax credit, meaning that because of the tax credit, there are random people who are being forced to pay $50 a year for insurance which creates standing.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ActusRhesus posted:

Reading the coverage on it, I wonder if the analysis would be different if, for example, rather than ZOMG ISRAEL!!!! the issue in question was a family from "Taiwan" not wanting to be documented as coming from "Chinese Taipei," and whether we would care as much about pissing off the Chinese as the Palestinians, or if that example was used in argument. (Too lazy to listen to full argument)
That example came up in the argument. It's somewhat distinguishable (both the PRC and the ROC at least nominally claim all of China, and Taiwan is a place anyway, etc. etc.). The point was also made that "West Bank" could be made "Hebron" etc. based on the logic, and finally that this is the only time Congress has stuck its oar in.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

ulmont posted:

That example came up in the argument.

Well, nice to see my random trains of thought while avoiding real work are the stuff of high profile cases. There's hope for me yet.

Seriously though...went to Hong Kong Rugby Sevens one year. Got hammered. Cheered *loudly* for Taiwan. Took pictures of all the local PRC officials giving me the stank-eye. It was glorious.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 4, 2014

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ActusRhesus posted:

Well, given that there's a specific rule that Taiwan will be written on request (instead of China, which is what would be written if no request is made)...

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kalman posted:

Well, given that there's a specific rule that Taiwan will be written on request (instead of China, which is what would be written if no request is made)...

Which is the reverse of putting a disputed larger area on the passport.

quote:

JUSTICE GINSBURG:  I want ­­ and I must
8 interject at this point because you emphasize the Taiwan
9 example and it seems to me it's most distinguishable.
10 Taiwan and China maintained from the beginning there is
11 only one China, and so Taiwan is a place name.  It's a
12 region.  It's in no way recognizing, no ­­ there's no
13 question of recognition in the Taiwan event.
20  JUSTICE BREYER:  ­­ which I'd like an answer
21 to.  I don't think that Taiwan is a counterexample since
22 the policy of the State Department in that thing that's
23 FAM, which is the Foreign Affairs Manual, says pretty
24 clearly that if there's a dispute about the larger
25 power, i.e., China, you always can put in your passport
1 the smaller place of birth, like a city or I would think
2 your Taiwan.  So I don't hear the Department or I guess
3 I'm saying the experts saying that the Taiwan example
4 conflicted with their policy.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Except that you cannot put Taiwan, China on your passport.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Let's see what Obama and the dems have been saying about this recently, what with the elections and all.

....yeah I can't imagine why the dems are seen as ineffectual political garbage.

Radish posted:

I'd be shocked if more than a couple justices care about what the guy says beyond "write better next time" and I can't imagine his claim is going to be what sways anyone one way or the other.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Enjoy something lighter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Awww yeeeaah, the Sixth Circuit Splits on SSM.

The Dissenting judge even joked that the majority may have issues their opinion just to send it to the Supremes.