Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

RCarr posted:

The big turrets absolutely mow down infantry. They stand no chance against it.

i mean the big slow firing one, not the machine gun variety

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The satellite dish one or the white cylinder? The white cylinder ones are really strong.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i mean the big slow firing one, not the machine gun variety

I'm talking about this one

It is instant death for any infantry in the area. Like I haven't gotten into one without getting 10-20 kills before dying.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The big, white cylinder turrets are amazing at killing infantry. They'll down in 1-2 hits and take a ton of punishment. They do overheat pretty quickly but you can easily get around that by pausing occasionally.

also the attackers can go behind the defender's deployment, get in a turret, and kill them as they spawn so that's a problem

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Manatee Cannon posted:

The big, white cylinder turrets are amazing at killing infantry. They'll down in 1-2 hits and take a ton of punishment. They do overheat pretty quickly but you can easily get around that by pausing occasionally.

also the attackers can go behind the defender's deployment, get in a turret, and kill them as they spawn so that's a problem

i guess i suck at it then

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Manatee Cannon posted:

People have begun to realize that both bases can access the other base underground, so there are now some pretty heavy indoor firefights going down.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

coyo7e posted:

People have begun to realize that both bases can access the other base underground, so there are now some pretty heavy indoor firefights going down.

Both bases?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Chemmy posted:

Both bases?
Both sides start near some tunnels which lead into the same base. The empire players just have to look for the tunnels and the rebels slowly get pushed back into them and respawn inside and then find out they can come up behind the empire and use their turrets.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

I played a bunch of games, and I'm not too enthused anymore. I'm going to watch streams after release and see what the other maps and modes are like to really decide (either way once Fallout 4 is in my hands that's all I'll be playing for a while) but the Hoth shitfest became really annoying to me.

The spawns are (who knew this was possible) even worse than BF4. As mentioned, if a Snowtrooper gets behind the Rebel spawns it's ridiculous. Also had a couple games where the Empire's finest started camping on top of the mountain the base is in, while my entire team just ignores them. There's no cover, and crouching doesn't work/help most of the time. I kept getting killed by splash damage, I guess? I mean, from my side I was crouched behind a rock and somehow the turret still killed me. Ewoks must have dug these trenches, they are ridiculously pointless. No cover from the front, or back, or sides. You could be having interesting, tactical fights in actual trenches, or actual positions to take and hold, but instead everyone runs around in the open, dying constantly (and then your Rebel teammates start hiding and shooting from cover and you lose anyway). The uplink stations could have been interesting places, like the giant radar towers on BF4, but instead it's a little stupid box you have to kneel in front of, in the open for a couple seconds, holding "x". :mediocre:

Driving AT-STs and AT-ATs was fun. Meanwhile, ol Johnny Reb ain't got poo poo to deal with all that firepower. Oh hey, you guys managed to get the uplinks on long enough? "beep beep everyone shoot at the walkers, ignore the Snowtroopers who now get to shoot you with impunity". I mowed down five or six players one time because they were all trying to damage the walker out there, in the distance. Almost every game I played, the Empire won. My first game, we won as the Rebels and one or two other times the Rebs won but it's already been acknowledged that they hosed that up, so they are going to try and fix the balance, I heard. I foresee more BF4 style nerfing over the next couple years and a constant tweaking of this damage and that damage, and more of the same bullshit where vocal whiners make them change something that doesn't actually need changed. Of course, if they didn't realize that having the Empire get AT-ATs and AT-STs while the Rebels get nothing and still have to run across wide open spaces to get to objectives that also have zero cover, (all the while under a time limit) and then have to direct all their attacks towards giant NPCs while the enemy team attacks them was poor game design, I'm not filled with confidence.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The AT-AT turret control is ridiculously OP. But if rebels know what they're doing and have poked around in the upgrade areas, they will have ion blast upgrades ready to RUIN teh AT-AT rq when its shields go down. One of those throwaway rocket pickups will take off 75-80% of an AT-ST's health as well. Let alone thermo detonators and sniper rifles (the sniper rifle is rad at taking out turrets in two shots).

Empire does seem to have a good advantage most of the time with a bunch of idiots running around though.

...Why are we not able to recline at all, by the way?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I had read somewhere that part of the reason it's so hard to win as rebels is that the level cap stops them from having more powerful anti-vehicle upgrades.

It seemed like on Friday the rebels were winning more games. You really need to work together. We got eight Y-wings on one uplink set, hit the AT-ATs with fire from the A-wings and dropped an AT-AT during the second set, leaving just one for the final set.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Is there a conquest mode in this game? To be honest I'll probably pick it up because a bunch of my friends are but it seems like it's going to be "Rush the game" which will get old after a few weeks

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjC70DRp7KE

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Chemmy posted:

I had read somewhere that part of the reason it's so hard to win as rebels is that the level cap stops them from having more powerful anti-vehicle upgrades.

It seemed like on Friday the rebels were winning more games. You really need to work together. We got eight Y-wings on one uplink set, hit the AT-ATs with fire from the A-wings and dropped an AT-AT during the second set, leaving just one for the final set.

Rank locked items are dumb

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Holy poo poo Nick, Elite Dangerous made me a better pilot.

I was playing Paracel and there was an A10 JDAMing the poo poo out of us. The round was almost over, so I got in the Su-25 just to see if I could kill a battleboat, and I ended up behind him. He couldn't get away from me. All the fancy turns that used to confuse the gently caress out of me, didn't work.

thenicko33
Sep 2, 2011
hahahaha nice. yeah, a lot of flying poo poo ive noticed translates well from both games.

when we gonna start pirating? i just bought a big (hard) anaconda and I'm working on decking it out.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

i miss u~ :h:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think someone was asking over how expensive Battlefront's DLC would be, and it was recently announced that there would be a $50 season pass for it. So it's the same price as it was for BF3 and BF4. Probably gonna deter some people from picking it up any time soon.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/12/star-wars-battlefront-50-season-pass-announced

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I don't see myself buying Battlefront for full price at launch so........ I'm out.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yeah I doubt I'm going to love the other game modes enough to buy it right away. One of those game modes is just ship battles which I doubt I will ever touch.

I'll put my chips towards Halo 5 and Rainbow Six for the next few months. Probably wait for GOTY edition for Fallout 4.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Barometer posted:

The spawns are (who knew this was possible) even worse than BF4.
I haven't played a whole lot of shooter games but in general, are good spawns even possible? Back when I played Call of Duty people complained about spawns, and here you're complaining about them in Battlefield and Battlefront. I know for sure spawns in Battlefield can put you in a bad situation before you can deal with it or run away, but... Is there any actual modern game where spawns are actually good? Even in Battlefield where stuff is generally happening slower and there's more time to come up with a game plan and think about what's going on than COD, I get spawnkilled just as often as I kill some poor fool that spawned right in front of me.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 13, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ok so the spawns in Battlefront have a few issues. First off, you can't choose a spawn point. It's a binary decision between spawning on your partner (if you have one, they are alive, and aren't in a vehicle) and spawning at a random spawn point. Yeah, you read that right: there are no choices in map spawns. The spawn zones are static but you have no control over which one you're gonna get. This leads into the second problem: there is no out of bounds area for the attackers. You could totally run all the way back to the rear end end of the map as soon as the round started if it struck your fancy, but more likely you're gonna head to the other team's spawn and set up shop. A lot of the outdoors spawn zones for the defenders have turrets situated directly behind them which can be commandeered by the enemy team. The attackers also have sole access to the only ground vehicles in the AT-STs, which are remarkably efficient at murdering infantry. The only place I've ever seen that is easier to spawn camp is Laguna Alta in Bad Company 2, because the deployment had like three spawn locations and spawn protection was a joke.

like there are bad spawns, there are random spawns, and then there is this nightmarish hellscape from which there is no escape for the defending team

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 13, 2015

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

At least in Battlefield you can choose where to spawn and use your own drat judgement on whether or not it is a good one.

In Battlefront, you are hosed. You are gonna have no idea where you're gonna spawn next. Manatee and I pinpointed exactly which spots the Rebels spawn in their base and camped this poo poo out of it with an AT-ST and their own goddamn turret. It's Laguna Alta from BC2 all over again.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's like in BC2 when you were spawn locked by the other team and only had the deployment to spawn in. Though on the plus side, Walker Assault will move the deployment back periodically so you gotta work for your cheap kills at least a little bit. That's a step up from spawn locking with two attack helicopters, tanks, and their own AA gun like in BC2 conquest. Also you could spawn in the bunker instead of the death field.

I managed to outdo myself today and went 72-2 by abusing the spawn locations and the AT-ST. That's about as good as my best AT-AT round, and those things are functionally invincible. :v: The grenade launcher is absurd.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

yellowcar posted:

At least in Battlefield you can choose where to spawn and use your own drat judgement on whether or not it is a good one.

In Battlefront, you are hosed. You are gonna have no idea where you're gonna spawn next. Manatee and I pinpointed exactly which spots the Rebels spawn in their base and camped this poo poo out of it with an AT-ST and their own goddamn turret. It's Laguna Alta from BC2 all over again.

I spawned in the base as a stormtrooper and shot two rebels fighting another one of my guys right in the back, turned a corner and saw two more rebels spawn facing away from me. The spawns in Walker Assault are such a hot mess that this is more the norm than an exception.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Friar Zucchini posted:

I haven't played a whole lot of shooter games but in general, are good spawns even possible?

That's a valid question and as I don't write code and make games, I'm not certain how hard it is to implement things like "do not spawn in line of sight of enemy". On a map like Hoth, that would mean you'd never spawn, haha. Spawning on another player means you're more likely to be in a dangerous situation and times like that it's understandable to me to appear with an enemy next to you (or in my case, behind you, every time). I think having areas that are relatively safe is key. The maps themselves need to have been made with that in mind, instead, I think it's more an afterthought. On that Hoth map it's like "OK the Rebels spawn behind this rock, durrr" with no thought given to how the Snowtroopers are easily (they know there are jetpacks in this game, right?) going to be there, above it, behind it, and to either side. It's probably the worst spawn place possible and yet, that's what they went with. There's a large base right nearby, full of hallways and doors you could spawn behind, safely. They could have added a couple more tunnels to the outside, and had there be an upper terrace, maybe, as well as more of a hillside to come out of.The map could have had actual man-sized trenches (that connected to the base) with doors that you could spawn out of, with so many options it would be much harder for the enemy team to be able to spawn trap/camp you, not to mention if you were deciding which one to spawn from you could avoid dying repeatedly to the same camper. The easiest fix I can think of would be one where the possible spawn sites were all hidden from general view and there were a lot of them and you only spawn in ones that have no enemies nearby. Really, that Hoth map should have been made with the idea that the Rebels are all coming out of the base to defend it, not suddenly appearing out in the middle of the tundra.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Fall patch is out soon, get your shotgun spam in while there's still time.

I hope they buff the LAV, it's criminally underpowered.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I hope they buff the LAV, it's criminally underpowered.
That's what I thought until I realized you can shoot your TOW, swap to your 25mm and shoot that and still aim your TOW at the same time. When I figured that out I realized it was really not that bad.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Friar Zucchini posted:

That's what I thought until I realized you can shoot your TOW, swap to your 25mm and shoot that and still aim your TOW at the same time. When I figured that out I realized it was really not that bad.

Naw still the weakest vehicle in the game. I'm surprised if anyone can get any kills with it.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Naw still the weakest vehicle in the game. I'm surprised if anyone can get any kills with it.

Um... I'm really not that great, but last I checked, 32/13 was really not that bad. And that's counting like half the game where I got my poo poo pushed in tryna play infantry. It's all about tactics, don't just rush in and expect to be immortal because you've got a 25 millimeter autocannon. Pick your fights, pay attention to where enemies are and know the difference between "nobody here" and "all my friendlies are dead cause three quarters of the enemy team happens to be here."

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/battlereport/show/32/655592076160812096/1485146718/

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 18, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

canister shell on the lav is absolutely amazing and you're a fool if you take anything else imo

the lav is bad at anti tank stuff but just stop playing it like that and you realize that it's actually really good for infantry, and can even fight off air vehicles if you can manage to get an angle on them

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

the lav is bad at anti tank stuff but just stop playing it like that and you realize that it's actually really good for infantry, and can even fight off air vehicles if you can manage to get an angle on them
I'm frankly better against tanks with the LAV than against air, and also better against tanks with an LAV than with an MBT. Might be just because of the TOW cooldown/restock/reload/whateverthefuck time, but the fact that I can aim the TOW and shoot my twenty-five at the same time and pretty much immediately let loose with another TOW once my 25 is empty means anything on the ground is dead pretty drat quick. When it comes to tanks I mostly just use the HMG/sabot to snipe helicopters and that's about it, for the most part.

edit: Although... there was that random match on Giants of Karelia where I was drunk and somehow managed to achieve air supremacy with a LAV and TOW's within the first three minutes of the game...

So many helicopter carcasses.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 18, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the aa tank with zunis is literally better at killing tanks than the lav is with the tow

the lav is seriously the worst anti tank option out of the armored vehicles, which is why using it for that is silly when it's so good at killing infantry

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
You're all so incredibly wrong, the LAV is the weakest vehicle in the game. It is absolutely impossible to go positive in that piece of poo poo.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Mail, stop telling lies on the internet that is so '03.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I've spent almost 10 hours in the LAV so I think I'd know this.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you'd think but here we are

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I pretty much just shoot a TOW missile at anything that moves and follow up with the 25 before it hits and try to keep moving so I'm harder to hit and it seems to work alright. :shrug:

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Just drive over people it's big and heavy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I mean, it's pretty much perfect as is. Good against infantry, decent against planes, will lose one on one with a tank. You can beat a tank with good tactics, or better numbers. but for it to be able to kill a tank by itself would be both unrealistic, and bad for balance. I try to stay a bit behind the infantry, and use the zoom to suppress and kill infantry, or assist in taking down a tank. If there isn't a tank, it can handle itself. It's either going to be fighting infantry, which it's better than, another LAV. so even, or a worse vehicle (or AA, but that's the greatest against everything, and also the greatest).

• Locked thread