Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Pickle it and then grill it :dukedog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

hallo spacedog posted:

Sorry, I hadn't had time for a while to do this, but now here is my recipe for Soondubu!

This looks amazing! One of the most delicious things I've ever eaten was some sort of "seafood tofu soup" from a Korean restaurant I went into by mistake.

I went in alone looking for some dinner, thinking it was a Thai or pan-asian place (named Tofu house). It was 100% authentic korean, down to the Korean magazines at the counter. It was kinda off-peak hours so no one else was there.

I ordered the "tofu seafood soup". It was red, and chock full of seafood, and had the most delicious, meltingly smooth tofu in it, and just the correct amount of spicy.

It came with an egg, and the very nice Korean lady read my confusion and just dove right in and cracked it into my bowl to cook.

Was this soondubu?

The table was covered by what I know now to refer to as "banchan", dozens of tiny dishes. I wasn't sure what to do with it all ("Eat it? Put it in the soup?") but just dove in and enjoyed all of the little pickled veg, tiny fishes, and more things than I can remember. The waitress came over and gave a surprised "Oh!" which may have been surprise that I enjoyed it, or surprise that I was a pig - either way she came back with yet MORE delicious little things.

She also scraped the rice from my bowl onto a plate, then poured hot tea into the rice dish and scraped it up into a delicious mixture when I was done.

Everything was phenomenal and I think she was amused to have a clueless non-Korean enjoy all the food so much. Really one of the best meals I've ever had.

Hell, I don't know why I haven't gone back (except that it's about an hour bus ride away). I think I'll rent a car and go there for my birthday next week. So good.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
That sounds like soondubu to me. The seafood one is really good, I usually get it with pork and kimchi.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

This is why I love to go restaurant hunting alone. Nine times out of ten, if you have a group of people they won't go into a place like that and you miss out.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

That was totally 100% soondubu, it sounds like to me as well. The recipe I posted is a great 20-30 minute easy winter meal.
If you want to get really fancy with it you can buy a stone bowl at H-Mart and heat it on your stove.

Gravity: Maangchi has a pretty good japchae recipe, but I haven't made it more than 1-2 times. (http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/japchae)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

That sounds like soondubu to me. The seafood one is really good, I usually get it with pork and kimchi.

isn't it with pork and kimchi then called kimchi jjigae?

content:

made some oi-sobagi yesterday

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I've made maangchi's japchae about four or five times and can testify that it's pretty good. The leftovers hold up okay; there's a lot of water that leeches out overnight and gathers at the bottom, but I just pour it out. Doesn't seem to affect the taste at all.

^^ Love me some oisobagi. Unfortunately, the one container I bought from the super nice Korean couple who own the Asian food store nearby was super mushy. :( Is it supposed to be that way? I like my kim chi crunchy.

kinmik fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 8, 2014

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

kinmik posted:

I've made maangchi's japchae about four or five times and can testify that it's pretty good. The leftovers hold up okay; there's a lot of water that leeches out overnight and gathers at the bottom, but I just pour it out. Doesn't seem to affect the taste at all.

^^ Love me some oisobagi. Unfortunately, the one container I bought from the super nice Korean couple who own the Asian food store nearby was super mushy. :( Is it supposed to be that way? I like my kim chi crunchy.

It usually has a nice crunchy aspect to it; if you prefer kimchi like that, which I also am more fond of, I'm a big fan of gakdugi.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

EVG posted:

Was this soondubu?

Yep. Specifically haemul sundubu (해물 순두부). Haemul is seafood.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

GrAviTy84 posted:

isn't it with pork and kimchi then called kimchi jjigae?

content:

made some oi-sobagi yesterday

Ooh, cucumbers! I have to try that next time!

tehpango
Sep 27, 2005
Famicontra
I'm sure many of you have seen this, but I felt the need to post this awesome video.
[video type=""]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfJETqgWNK4&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Man Yam
Aug 31, 2004
Pickle. No! You pickle!

pandaK posted:

The kimchi that my grandmother makes always has that fresh and refreshing flavor and crunch to it that I just can't ever replicate and it makes me mad! It's literally grandma magic since I've gotten her recipe and method.

Sometimes my mother complains that her fresh kimchi was salted too long and hence not as crunchy. How long do you let your cabbage sit after salting? Depending on what she's making, mom will let the cabbage sit in salt anywhere from 4-6 hours to overnight and then soak/rinse in fresh water.

As for sugar, never had it in my kimchi, but from what I am told by friends and relatives, Korean food is made sweeter lately? My mother has a neighbor visiting from Korea and everything they make has tons of sugar in it.

Saeujut and 3-crab sauce for life yo!

Does anyone eat fried or boiled pork belly, samgyupsal dipped in saeujut? Best combination, tied with eating it wrapped in fresh kimchi. I need to go get some sliced pork belly.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Man Yam posted:

Sometimes my mother complains that her fresh kimchi was salted too long and hence not as crunchy. How long do you let your cabbage sit after salting? Depending on what she's making, mom will let the cabbage sit in salt anywhere from 4-6 hours to overnight and then soak/rinse in fresh water.

As for sugar, never had it in my kimchi, but from what I am told by friends and relatives, Korean food is made sweeter lately? My mother has a neighbor visiting from Korea and everything they make has tons of sugar in it.

Saeujut and 3-crab sauce for life yo!

Does anyone eat fried or boiled pork belly, samgyupsal dipped in saeujut? Best combination, tied with eating it wrapped in fresh kimchi. I need to go get some sliced pork belly.

Hmm, I usually let it sit for around 6 hours, so I'll try to reduce it by 2 hours and see how that goes.

Also grilled samgyupsal is great and all, but my favorite use for it is using a fatty cut and simmering them along with ramen or kimchi chiigae.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hey, speaking of. I don't do samgyeopsal at home much because it's a communal barbecue restaurant thing here, but I do make a lot of kimchi jjigae.

First, this recipe is not normal at all. I have combined things I found at several different jjigae places I liked, and my own ideas. If you want traditional jjigae, boil some samgyeopsal and kimchi in water for half an hour and throw in some tofu and mushrooms.

Ingredients:
Pork shoulder, cut into bite size cubes, with the huge hunks of fat removed (keep these)
Onions, sliced
Garlic, minced
Ginger, minced
Chicken stock
Kimchi. Most people use older, sour kimchi. I like it with regular kimchi, it's up to you.
Fish sauce
Sesame oil
MSG
Gochugaru
Gochujang
Potatoes
Tofu
Hard boiled eggs

I start by throwing the hunks of fat into the pan and letting them render a bit. Then I took them out and added in the pork shoulder, just to brown it. Remove and reserve.

Add some vegetable oil if you need to, then sweat your onions, add the garlic and ginger and fry until fragrant.

Add a little water and scrape the pork shoulder bits off the pan.

Now add your chopped up kimchi, stock (or a stock/water mix), a little sesame oil. It's strong and just for flavor, maybe a couple teaspoons. Gochugaru until it's spicy enough for you, a generous tablespoon or two of gochujang (not traditional, I like the flavor), give it a few shots of fish sauce and some MSG. Also put the chunks of pork fat in for flavor, take them back out at the end. Let it simmer for an hour and a half.

The long simmer gives it a nice color and flavor. Taste, adjust your spices. Add the potatoes. If you're cooking this for Koreans don't use potatoes, I don't know why but every Korean I know of is absolutely disgusted by the idea of potatoes in kimchi jjigae, like physical revulsion and refusing to even touch it. I don't understand, they're great in it and Koreans eat a lot of potatoes but anyway, keep it in mind. Cook them through. Put your pork back in to finish cooking it.

Add your cubed tofu and eggs. I like hard boiled quail eggs but only had chicken eggs around. If you like mushrooms this would be the time to add them.

And serve. My preferred way is to fill the bowl about halfway with rice then jjigae on top of it. You can't see the rice but it's in there!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Man Yam posted:

The (only) recipe I've used says two hours before soaking. I find it to be pretty crunchy.
In fact, the white heart/spine of the leaves are my favourite part.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
Gonna make some Parsnip Kimchi because why the hell not? I'll let you know how it goes.

I made daikon kimchi (unfermented) with this recipe and it was rad.

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kkakdugi

Fried some up in a pan the next day with cubed potatoes, ground pork, onions, baby bok choi, and topped with a fried egg. highly recommended.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

Furious Lobster posted:

The worst Korean dish is Cheonggukjang; I am generally fine with fermented soybean products like natto for example but cheonggukjang takes the pungency to a new level that is just disgusting.

:aaa: I love me some cheonggukjang. But I totally see why people don't like it. There's just something about it for me that makes it so 맛있어.

I'm surprised no one mentioned anything about bibimbap! A shop in the Lotte around here makes some killer dolsot bibimbap :kimchi:

tynam
May 14, 2007

Timid posted:

:aaa: I love me some cheonggukjang. But I totally see why people don't like it. There's just something about it for me that makes it so 맛있어.

I recall smelling cheonggukjang for the first time on the first floor of a highrise apartment. The poo poo was being made 9 floors up. By the family I was tutoring for. Needless to say I skipped that day. I can't even imagine the reaction you'd get if you made it outside Korea.

Also, the Korean sashimi is referred to as hoe, pronounced "hweh". I wasn't very fond of it when I had it in Busan, but I was a stupid kid back then so what did I know.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

tynam posted:

Also, the Korean sashimi is referred to as hoe, pronounced "hweh". I wasn't very fond of it when I had it in Busan, but I was a stupid kid back then so what did I know.

I have heard that, unlike Japanese sashimi, Koreans like to eat hoe more freshly killed, so the flesh is in a kind of rigor mortis. It's tougher/harder, but that's just how it's preferred there apparently.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Koreans like chewy texture in general. Hoe (회) is usually from fresh fish swimming in the restaurant tank, not frozen. At the big fish market here you point at a fish in the tank and they cut it up and serve it to you. They also prefer flatfish for it, or others that we would consider trash fish. Frequently the bones are left in, but not always. I was told by a Korean hoe chef that the reason for this is that taking bones out is too much trouble for them to be bothered to do it.

I've had hoe many times (it's the standard meal when the boss takes you out to show off how rich they are) and never had any I liked. It's always chewy and flavorless. Koreans really like chewy and flavorless things, they're all over the cuisine.

Anyway the worst Korean dish is hongeohoe (홍어회), skate fermented in its own urine. It's the same thing as that rotten shark poo poo from Iceland.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 15, 2014

tynam
May 14, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I've had hoe many times (it's the standard meal when the boss takes you out to show off how rich they are) and never had any I liked. It's always chewy and flavorless. Koreans really like chewy and flavorless things, they're all over the cuisine.

It's not that they like flavorless things, they just like dousing everything in face-punching sauces. They definitely like the chewy stuff though, but some of that stuff is amazing. Jwipo roasted over fire and served with mayo is loving delicious with some beers.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

While we're on the topic, I just absolutely cannot stand beondegi, which is a snack made out of boiled silkworms. They don't even taste that bad, but the godforsaken smell is atrocious.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

tynam posted:

It's not that they like flavorless things, they just like dousing everything in face-punching sauces.

That doesn't explain stuff like ddeok, though. Some of it's good but most of it is just chewing on rubber. The technology for gum to retain flavor for more than 15 seconds hasn't reached Korea yet either, and I suspect there's a reason for that.

It's just different, if you were raised with it I'm sure it's enjoyable, but to the normal western palate chewing on a sea cucumber, which tastes like nothing and is probably tougher than a literal truck tire, is not enjoyable.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

When I was a teenager I went through this phase where I would buy yeot all the time. I like the taste but man is that stuff hard to eat.

tynam
May 14, 2007

pandaK posted:

While we're on the topic, I just absolutely cannot stand beondegi, which is a snack made out of boiled silkworms. They don't even taste that bad, but the godforsaken smell is atrocious.

I think that's a common theme with lots of Korean food. Smells like poo poo but tastes pretty good.

Grand Fromage posted:

That doesn't explain stuff like ddeok, though.

Hence the sauce drenching, like ddeokbokki. I really don't see any flavorless aspect to Korean food unless you pick it apart and eat it in a way it wasn't really intended to be consumed. I did grow up eating Korean food though, so I'm probably biased as hell.

Korean gum is terrible, absolutely agree there. Just chew on some dried squid instead! That was actually the weirdest thing I experienced in Korean movie theaters - the smell of dried squid everywhere instead of popcorn.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

tynam posted:

Hence the sauce drenching, like ddeokbokki. I really don't see any flavorless aspect to Korean food unless you pick it apart and eat it in a way it wasn't really intended to be consumed. I did grow up eating Korean food though, so I'm probably biased as hell.

Possibly. Every expat who lives here would recognize "chewy and flavorless" as a common Korean thing. I don't mean the white ddeok for soups/ddeokbokki, I mean the dessert stuff or songpyeon that taste like nothing. At best they have a little squirt of honey that goes away within a second and then you're just chewing.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Most ddeok blows but I think songpyeon has a really great filling in it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The yellow powder stuff is pretty good, I don't know what the name of it is.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Grand Fromage posted:

The roasted soybean powder stuff that tastes kind of nutty? In Japanese at least it's kinako but no idea of the Korean name.
That stuff is great. I made kinako ice cream with soy-sauce-salted butter caramel sauce last summer, and it was amazing.

Man Yam
Aug 31, 2004
Pickle. No! You pickle!

Grand Fromage posted:

I love the yellow powder ddeok, I also like the brown powder (I think it's ground barley?) ddeok. Mom has a ddeok machine at home, but she says making ddeok is a pain in the rear end, and cleaning the ddeok machine is a task fit for Hercules.

As for plain ddeok, green or white, flat squares with ridges, I remember dipping it in sugar and then eating it, must be microwaved or fried first.

edit: mom also fries up the kombu, less than 30 seconds each side in some oil, that you use for making dashi and then sprinkles it with sugar as a snack. I tried it and it is really good.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

hallo spacedog posted:

I have heard that, unlike Japanese sashimi, Koreans like to eat hoe more freshly killed, so the flesh is in a kind of rigor mortis. It's tougher/harder, but that's just how it's preferred there apparently.

Yeah, this is pretty accurate. AFAIK, the Japanese let the fish sit/ferment a bit so the flesh becomes softer, while Koreans like it fresh as possible for the chewiness. When you eat sashimi in Japan, the meat sort of melts in the mouth, because that's what the Japanese prefer. In Korea, people want a firm texture, so you have chefs serving you fish that's literally been filleted minutes before. Koreans equate firmness/chewiness with freshness with 회, so unless you go to a legitimate, traditional Japanese restaurant, that's the kind you'll get.

As for the "flavorless" part - I agree with the poster some posts above me in saying that you guys are probably not eating it right. Gwang-uh (flatfish) is kinda flavorless, but that's because you're supposed to eat it with soysauce+wasabi or with cho-gochujang. Tuna belly is pretty savory but expensive. And none of you have had raw abalone (jeonbok) or sea pineapple (meong-gae), apparently, because those two are pretty strong in flavor. The latter feels like Poseidon himself is slapping your tongue if you get a fresh enough one.

I'm also a fan of squid and 고등어(dunno what it is in English) sashimi, but it's less commonly available.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Archer2338 posted:

고등어(dunno what it is in English)

For any other non-Korean speakers, that's Pacific chub mackerel.

e: scroll down

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 16, 2014

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Archer2338 posted:

And none of you have had raw abalone (jeonbok) or sea pineapple (meong-gae), apparently, because those two are pretty strong in flavor. The latter feels like Poseidon himself is slapping your tongue if you get a fresh enough one.

Oh god sea pineapple/sea squirt. I'd call it Poseidon jizzing in your mouth. Abalone I've had at sushi places, never much liked it.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

For any other non-Korean speakers, that's Pacific chub mackerel.

I think it's any mackerel. Fish names can be somewhat nonspecific. Like the name for cod can apparently be used for all sorts of things that definitely are not cod, in my unfortunate experience.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I have a Korean colleague at work and went to lunch with him yesterday at a local Korean joint in town. I was pretty boring and just got the kalbi (which was delicious). We got about eight hundred plates along with our order with side dishes on them ranging from boiled potatos, to little salads, to some sort of vegetable mix that was like hyper garlic flavored, etc. All good stuff.

There was also this little plate of what looked like flat rectangular pieces of white uncooked pasta or something. My friend said this was pressed fish and is super common. Have you guys had this stuff? What is it exactly? I actually quite liked it a bunch and wanted to see how I could go about getting some.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

orphean posted:

I have a Korean colleague at work and went to lunch with him yesterday at a local Korean joint in town. I was pretty boring and just got the kalbi (which was delicious). We got about eight hundred plates along with our order with side dishes on them ranging from boiled potatos, to little salads, to some sort of vegetable mix that was like hyper garlic flavored, etc. All good stuff.

There was also this little plate of what looked like flat rectangular pieces of white uncooked pasta or something. My friend said this was pressed fish and is super common. Have you guys had this stuff? What is it exactly? I actually quite liked it a bunch and wanted to see how I could go about getting some.

Its called odeng in Korean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamaboko

For more information. Its usually cooked with soy sauce and some other stuff, slightly sweet as a result.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Shadowhand00 posted:

For more information. Its usually cooked with soy sauce and some other stuff, slightly sweet as a result.

I really love those flat fried ones they always have at Korean restaurants, and the big satsuma-age from Japanese oden as well.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Shadowhand00 posted:

It can also be referred to as 어묵 or "eo-mook". This is what I've been hearing it referred to as nowadays at least in a push for Koreans to stop using words for things that are derived from other languages.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

orphean posted:

I've seen it frozen at the local H-Mart, though they also have it 'fresh' (and with those hot peppers that are soooo good.)

At the very least try bibimbap, that's one of the more 'accessible' dishes in Korean cuisine; even my mom likes it.

Specialist
Jan 5, 2005
Dr. Sweet Baboo

orphean posted:

:):hf::)

I get it in packages of rectangular sheets labeled 'Fish Cake' in the freezer at my Korean market, but I've seem it in other shapes as well. I like the sheets because I can cut them to size and the flat package stores well. They also thaw pretty quickly and I can usually pry off one or two sheets at a time without much fuss.

I like Aeri's basic recipe, but her spicy one is good, too.

Cizzo posted:

It can also be referred to as 어묵 or "eo-mook". This is what I've been hearing it referred to as nowadays at least in a push for Koreans to stop using words for things that are derived from other languages.

That's really interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Specialist posted:

That's really interesting.

Also hilarious since literally 60-70% of Korean vocabulary is from Chinese. Basically everything modern (and things Koreans clearly must've had words for already, like game and orange--I don't understand why they're loanwords) is directly from English. In North Korean they're often from Russian instead. Tilting at windmills. Probably just specifically targeting Japanese loanwords, though I've never heard eomuk before here in the southeast. It's always odeng.

Other ones that come to mind: udong is udon, ramyeon is ramen (mostly in the instant noodle context), donkkaseu is tonkatsu, soba and takoyaki are used without alteration. Chobap is sushi, which is interesting because it's translating the concept instead of just using the word. Cho is short for sikcho, vinegar, and bap is cooked rice. I've also seen susi used occasionally.

• Locked thread