Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weatie
Sep 9, 2012
I'm surprised all of you are still playing this, I've been on/off the past few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.
I play it off/on. I don't really get hooked, but it's a good way to relax and kill some time, and so far progress hasn't been so slow that I ever find myself feeling massively bored or anything.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

The new patch came an hour ago, and it's pretty sweet. Owls of Minerva in general stores for 10k each, a permanent, cheaper replacement for pet equips (can't switch which pet they're on, but apparently all pets will now come with item/meso loot?), alleged increased cube drop rates and tier-up chances, the cool guild revamp, a rare chance to get 100% golden hammer drops from bosses, soul weapons, and a mustache event! MUSTACHE EVENT!! The only bad part is a small nerf to Kishin (the Kanna skill that boosts spawn).

http://maplestory.nexon.net/news/updates/update-notes/00HnE

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

The guild revamping sounds awesome, and merging Family skills into it.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

As someone who mains a Kanna, the Kishin nerf is almost unnoticeable.

The guild system replacing the family system has one large drawback; you can only teleport to guild members. No more "Anyone in X's family, I need to tele! It's irrelevant in most cases, but still. Otherwise good changes all around.

Also if you've been doing the daily attendance, today was the day you get the Black Pendant for the item set for the achievement to get the Earth chair, which if you had all the others lets you get this hilarious monster:

(It's tradeable within the account and is perfect for the upcoming Blaze Wizard revamp)

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Eh. I was thinking about getting it, but it's so much work and there's nothing cool about it except for its size. Not worth the effort.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

It's a fuckin' giant sun. How is that not awesome?

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I'm thinking of picking this back up since I haven't played in a few years and I'm very bad at dota.

How's the goon presence in this game? I used to have a level ~130 Battle Mage on El Nido a few years ago and it was pretty fun because we had plenty of active people, if the community is still active, I'd love to join up since I'm finally free from University for the summer and I'm finding myself with lots of free time.

edit: I logged on and noticed my main character has 0 meso (I had at least 100m+ ), my other characters still have whatever funding I remember giving them almost 2 years ago...what happened? :(

Fano fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 16, 2014

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I'm tempted to try it again, too. I maxed out a Cygnus Knight (the archer one) and had started leveling a warrior juuust after Big Bang hit and Mechanics were the hot new thing, is there a good way to try and get myself up to speed on everything that's changed or just play the game?

One other thing: are cash shop things still temporary? Coming back and needing to spend money to revive a pet sounds as obnoxious as it ever did.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Minrad posted:

I'm tempted to try it again, too. I maxed out a Cygnus Knight (the archer one) and had started leveling a warrior juuust after Big Bang hit and Mechanics were the hot new thing, is there a good way to try and get myself up to speed on everything that's changed or just play the game?

One other thing: are cash shop things still temporary? Coming back and needing to spend money to revive a pet sounds as obnoxious as it ever did.

Basically literally everything has changed since then. Your Cygnus has been totally revamped, as have basically every other class.

Pets, actually, JUST got a revamp two days ago. Some pets are permanent (this has been a thing for a while) and pet equips are now pet skills, which cost less and are permanent for the pet. Other cash items are still temporary, though a lot of cosmetic items are both permanent and tradeable between characters if they haven't been equipped yet.

Fano posted:

edit: I logged on and noticed my main character has 0 meso (I had at least 100m+ ), my other characters still have whatever funding I remember giving them almost 2 years ago...what happened? :(

You probably got hacked and had anything of value stripped from your main character. A lot of times hackers won't bother with obviously secondary characters and just take the value from the main.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Nighthand posted:

You probably got hacked and had anything of value stripped from your main character. A lot of times hackers won't bother with obviously secondary characters and just take the value from the main.

Unlikely as all of my valuable equip items are intact :/

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I had that happen to one of my accounts before, a few years back. They didn't take any of my decent equips, though none of them were exactly godly at the time. Well, scratch that, they took two valuable rings, but that was it from equipment. They also took a couple of chairs and my raw mesos.

In any case, it's either that or you gave the money away or hid it somewhere last time you played and forgot about it.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Nighthand posted:

Basically literally everything has changed since then. Your Cygnus has been totally revamped, as have basically every other class.

Yeah I got on a level 30ish Wizard and my cold beam was a huge cleave that hit 3 times and did a billion damage and did some stacking debuff :psyduck:

Something about the UI really bugs me now, everything feels too pushy. Every character has a ton of blinking "Hey I'm helping!" guides and light bulbs and so on that won't go away when I just wanna see my new abilities and find things to punch. I guess I'll just roll a new character and take a look see at how the game feels now before I do anything.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Minrad posted:

Yeah I got on a level 30ish Wizard and my cold beam was a huge cleave that hit 3 times and did a billion damage and did some stacking debuff :psyduck:

Something about the UI really bugs me now, everything feels too pushy. Every character has a ton of blinking "Hey I'm helping!" guides and light bulbs and so on that won't go away when I just wanna see my new abilities and find things to punch. I guess I'll just roll a new character and take a look see at how the game feels now before I do anything.

I think the bulbs can be moved to the left? a little arrow or something to hide them...

If you start over at level one, the culture shock is less extreme yeah.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

You can hide them, yeah. It's worth it to keep checking in with Tot though, if you do his stuff occasionally he'll give you a free level. It's pretty easy to get to 70 in a few hours if you know where to go, even more so when a new class comes out and they have all sorts of bonus exp events.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
So from what I see all the special snowflake classes that aren't in a "group" give your other character special skills/stat ups if you link them. Is there any reason NOT to play one of these over anything else for the link skills, or is it just "yep there is absolutely no class balance here"

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

The classes aren't really balanced, but everything is strong enough to steamroll the majority of enemies you fight. At least it seems to be that way.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Yeah that's what I'm seeing, but I'm wondering if I'll be screwed down the line if it turns out I didn't level the classes that give out link skills.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Every single class has a link skill of some kind.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Oh good, so I'm okay with just making three explorers or what have you? The info on this game is really spotty, so I was confused.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

No, every class does not have a link skill. The only explorer with a link skill is Cannoneer. The other classes with link skills are Mercedes, Demon Slayer, Demon Avenger, Kanna, Hayato, Beast Tamer, Kaiser, Angelic Burster, Luminous, Phantom, the 3 Cygnus Knights that have been revamped, Mihile, Jett, and Xenon. Please excuse me if I forgot one or two! :cheeky:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Silento posted:

No, every class does not have a link skill. The only explorer with a link skill is Cannoneer. The other classes with link skills are Mercedes, Demon Slayer, Demon Avenger, Kanna, Hayato, Beast Tamer, Kaiser, Angelic Burster, Luminous, Phantom, the 3 Cygnus Knights that have been revamped, Mihile, Jett, and Xenon. Please excuse me if I forgot one or two! :cheeky:

Oh yeah. I forgot Explorers exist. I guess rebels don't have them either?

Why would anyone choose to be an explorer nowadays.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Explorers did just get revamped, and some of them were significantly buffed.

Link skills are valuable, so it's worth it to make classes when you can and level them up to at least 70, or 120 if you have the patience. The third tier link skill is at 210, which is a billion times more experience than 120, so don't bother on any except your main.

Here, have a link skills mini-guide:

In GMS you can only have 12 link skills on a given character. Thankfully this covers just about every skill you could want.

All link skills unlock at level 70 and upgrade at level 120. Some, not all, upgrade further at 210.

You can't stack link skills. The Mercedes link, that gives bonus experience, for example, can only be on a character once. Making a second Mercedes might allow you to have two characters with that link, but it's easy enough to just re-link the kill whenever you need it. The exception to this is the new revamped Cygnus Knights, that can stack up to 5 times, one for each knight.

The skills:

Angelic Buster: A 10-second buff with a 90-second cooldown, it just straight increases your damage. 60% at link level 1.

Beast Tamer: A mixed bag of boss damage, crit rate, hp and mp percentage increases.

Cannoneer: A flat boost to all stats, not percentage.

Demon Avenger: A percentage boost to damage (5% at link level 1).

Demon Slayer: A percentage boost to boss damage.

Hayato: A flat non-percentage boost to all stats and weapon attack.

Jett: Some bullshit random boost of various stats you can re-roll with cash items, it's garbage.

Kaiser: A percentage boost to max HP.

Kanna: A percentage boost to damage, same as -- and stacks with -- demon avenger.

Luminous: A percentage boost to defense ignore.

Mercedes: A percentage boost to exp gained. Get this first, it makes leveling everything else easier.

Mihile: A buff with a 180-second cooldown that gives you 100% stance, i.e. monster attacks don't knock you around.

Phantom: A percentage boost to critical hit rate.

Cygnus Knights: A flat percentage boost to abnormal status and elemental resistance, stacks up to five times.

Xenon: A percentage boost to all base stats.

Zero: A two-part percentage boost that increases your defense ignore and decreases your damage taken. Note: this link doesn't level in the normal way, it's tied to storyline quest drops.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Apparently JMS is making the third Sengoku class. Current rumblings are that it's a thief or an archer - second hand sources claim that she 'throws' her attack, which probably means thief, ranged thief at that.

Doesn't really matter much, but hey, figured someone might be excited.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Meanwhile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LaEWnvzuEI

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Oh god its 2.5D :swoon:
Nexon, why did you have to make a decision like that that will actually draw me into the game :negative:

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Horizontal Tree posted:

Oh god its 2.5D :swoon:
Nexon, why did you have to make a decision like that that will actually draw me into the game :negative:

The second I saw it was grid based I suddenly realized that oh no, I actually want to play this game and I was filled with fear.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

That is so adorable. :allears: Now the question is how much of it is rendered vs. how much of it is actual gameplay? Bio, it's your turn to step up. :cheeky:

Edit: Bio said it's all actual gameplay! Hype has liftoff!

Silento fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 23, 2014

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I was briefly excited until it turned from a 2D to an isometric view. :rip:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'm honestly not all that hyped for Maplestory 2. The only reason I keep coming back to 1 is because of nostalgia for when I used to play it in elementary school, back when something like Pirates being announced got the entire school talking about how awesome that is. :v:

Weatie
Sep 9, 2012
I just love the way it looks, the combat just makes it look like more fun to me and also the fact that it's getting released worldwide. What I want to know is if they're going to give players of the original game any sort of bonus upon start up.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I hope they add a bit more detail onto all the blocks, it looks very bland considering how pretty Maplestory can get with its fancy backgrounds and the like.

Weatie
Sep 9, 2012
Here's a preview Zelkova posted on the Ayame class that's getting released soon in JMS. As someone who loves to play a marksman, it kinda ticks me off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XphtMPm4Sbs

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Maplestory 2 class: Heavy Gunner

Weatie
Sep 9, 2012
I'm actually pretty curious to seem what the rest of the classes are going to be, and if there's going to be any sort of hat/bandanna for playing early on in the game like the first one.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

There is nothing more you can ask for in a kMMO than a hat to keep your head swaggin'.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Nighthand posted:

Maplestory 2 class: Heavy Gunner

I'm already hyped for this game. :iamafag:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

http://maplestory.nexon.net/news/updates/update-highlights/00Hr9

Cash shop share event!

Fil, if you see this can you get on irc?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I just redownloaded this abomination again, anyone in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I'd be interested to play this game again I guess. From what I can see there's perm NX cash shop items now? Because I need to look the pretiest and I don't want to buy stuff every 3 months v:v:v There's no limited characters currently available for creation is there?

• Locked thread