Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Yeah, I just read requests that make specifications such as "Sonic Battle should obviously be a VLP" and hope that there's room to negotiate. While we're on the topic of strange requests, why is the request for Eternal Sonata specifying the 360 version when the PS3 release is the same game with two more playable characters and a couple more dungeons/bosses to go along with 'em? I'm unaware if these changes make the game easier or more boring in some unknown way.
I guess the game WAS one of the first JRPGs that started embracing the whole semi-Freemium-booster-pack-DLC model, where you could buy things that were already in the game to avoid having hunt them down and earn them via the first and possibly longest musical matching trading side-quest. Maybe the PS3 release just includes that as default DLC and removes that whole backtracking-mandatory thing? I've no idea.

I've actually considered Eternal Sonata (Encore Mode is still pretty scary) but the game (or at least the PS3 version) has fail safes for the sidequest, where I think it hands you the last item before the key. You pretty much just get an extra accessory from doing it, although I cant remember what it is. (Fake edit: It's a spellbook. Increases magic by 10%)

There are parts in the trading quest that will actually give you an accessory for the next step, and it tends to make more sense to just stop and keep the good accessory, and just pick up the failsafe which isn't as good.

Of course, there's still the Encore mode only trading quest, cause one isnt enough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Yeah, I just read requests that make specifications such as "Sonic Battle should obviously be a VLP" and hope that there's room to negotiate. While we're on the topic of strange requests, why is the request for Eternal Sonata specifying the 360 version when the PS3 release is the same game with two more playable characters and a couple more dungeons/bosses to go along with 'em? I'm unaware if these changes make the game easier or more boring in some unknown way.
I guess the game WAS one of the first JRPGs that started embracing the whole semi-Freemium-booster-pack-DLC model, where you could buy things that were already in the game to avoid having hunt them down and earn them via the first and possibly longest musical matching trading side-quest. Maybe the PS3 release just includes that as default DLC and removes that whole backtracking-mandatory thing? I've no idea.

At least part of it is that some of these requests have gone unfulfilled for a loooong time, and so versions can be a little weird. There's also the thing that some requesters only state the platform they know of, which is perfectly understandable (Rogue Trooper, for example, was requested as the PS2 version, and, lo and behold, there are no differences between the PS2 and PC versions, so I LPed the poo poo out of that on PC, and the request was fulfilled).

Finally, there's things like my request for Scorpion Disfigured, which are not really meant as a serious request. Because seriously, Scorpion Disfigured is not a great game. Although I can understand some of them... I want to take the piss out of F.E.A.R. sometimes too.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

JamieTheD posted:

At least part of it is that some of these requests have gone unfulfilled for a loooong time, and so versions can be a little weird.

Yeah, in this particular case the PS3 version wasn't out when that was requested, in October 2008

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

After re-reading the Master List I was super surprised that Body Harvest, Halo 3, Halo: Reach, the Killzone Franchise and the Just Cause games hadn't been done. The issue there is I remember there being a Body Harvest LP back in like 2008 or something, but I could be completely wrong on that.

I think if someone wanted to do Just Cause 2 the time is about right for it, as the team is releasing a free multiplayer mod for the game(some three years after release) and it would be cool to see someone handle it the way Skippy Granola did Saints Row 3 with a rotating set of partners.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I see it's on the list, but I'd just like to clarify that Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City will need a group to make it interesting or fun. If the stars align and someone will do it on the 360, I would be thrilled to be a part of it, as I still love dicking around in co-op. (The multiplayer is full of cheap bullshit, don't do the multiplayer despite its interesting premise.) You also need to play at least on veteran difficulty because it turns on :siren:Friendly Fire:siren: which is essential in loving over your buddies.

If, god forbid, anyone does grant my wish, I can be reached on the 360 itself most reliably at my gamertag: DuCkSPANKER

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lazyfire posted:

After re-reading the Master List I was super surprised that Body Harvest, Halo 3, Halo: Reach, the Killzone Franchise and the Just Cause games hadn't been done. The issue there is I remember there being a Body Harvest LP back in like 2008 or something, but I could be completely wrong on that.

I think if someone wanted to do Just Cause 2 the time is about right for it, as the team is releasing a free multiplayer mod for the game(some three years after release) and it would be cool to see someone handle it the way Skippy Granola did Saints Row 3 with a rotating set of partners.

I've been thinking about tackling Body Harvest or the Killzone Franchise (original trilogy and PSP game) after my other LPs wrap-up, because I unabashedly love both those games. My trouble with the Killzone franchise was I was planning on LPing it as if it were a lost work of Shakespeare. My original plan was to run it as an SSLP with videos for cutscenes to concentrate on the text and subtext of the game that I believe is there (and often gets passed over), but I know that one of the requests was for a VLP.

Hmm... Maybe I could do my original plan but provide videos as well for those interested?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Has anyone tried to mess with the requested Shinobido: Way of the Ninja? Outside of Japan, it was a PAL-only PS2 release. It's a potential goldmine of LP interaction (or a source of eternal suffering), because in addition to the videos of the missions (plot and generated), there could be voting on which mission to pick, what faction to serve, what shrooms to mix in the alchemy pots, and how to arrange the bear, the bushes and the fire pits in your Japanese garden (tower defence). Oh, and there's a mission editor, and a ton of pre-made challenges there as well.

ritcheyz
Dec 25, 2008

You've gotta be crazy
Gotta have a real need

Lazyfire posted:

Halo 3, Halo: Reach

I'm planning to do really in-depth completionist runs of every Halo game at some point in the future, because no one's shown off the immense amount of easter eggs and secrets those games have.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Drakenel posted:

someone will do it on the 360,

God damnit, I have the PS3 version and I made a promise I'd be part of the group that does this game :mad:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Lunethex posted:

God damnit, I have the PS3 version and I made a promise I'd be part of the group that does this game :mad:

Well, I do have a ps3, but no means of voice communication sadly. Else I'd just buy it for that.

Edit: Unless everyone was connected to skype to talk to get around the whole 'can't talk during loading screens' bit. Then I may be persuaded.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Drakenel posted:

Well, I do have a ps3, but no means of voice communication sadly. Else I'd just buy it for that.

Edit: Unless everyone was connected to skype to talk to get around the whole 'can't talk during loading screens' bit. Then I may be persuaded.

I'd imagine all of us would have a Skype call going and each of us using Audacity to record our own tracks and who ever is making the video we'll send those to him.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's already on the list but I'd really really like to see Hunter: The Reckoning for the X-Box LPed. Would work best as a multiplayer/multicommentator video LP.

That game just gets so god drat hard after the vampire boss that me and my friends could never beat it.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I found another one in the archives that's been lost to the sands of time - Metal Wolf Chaos's hosting is now entirely defunct.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

McKilligan posted:

I found another one in the archives that's been lost to the sands of time - Metal Wolf Chaos's hosting is now entirely defunct.

Nope. Don't forget the internet archive banner on top.

I just realized that this is on the list in the OP. It's been done, so it might as well be removed.

gatz fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 10, 2013

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I would like to see an LP of the Virtual On: Cybertroopers games, just to see all the content I could never manage in the drat Saturn game.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I was actually gearing up to do one of two lps. Demon Souls blind playthrough and Dead Island Blind/Interactive (if it is at least somewhat sandboxy) GoTY edition. Dead Island isnt in the master list archive and isnt requested in the main list. Any reason why it got taken down?

I dont know if Dark Souls has been beaten to death or not in here. Ive never seen it and picked it up on sale for like 5 bucks.

Which one should I tackle first or should I just look for a different game all together (I have Sniper V2 but Ive been playing that actually)
Either of these would be VLP/Commentary.

Soulex fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 10, 2013

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Soulex posted:

I was actually gearing up to do one of two lps. Demon Souls blind playthrough and Dead Island Blind/Interactive (if it is at least somewhat sandboxy) GoTY edition. Dead Island isnt in the master list archive and isnt requested in the main list. Any reason why it got taken down?

I dont know if Dark Souls has been beaten to death or not in here. Ive never seen it and picked it up on sale for like 5 bucks.

Which one should I tackle first or should I just look for a different game all together (I have Sniper V2 but Ive been playing that actually)
Either of these would be VLP/Commentary.

Wait are you doing Demon's Souls or Dark Souls? Either way there've been two LPs of either game. Demon's Souls has two highly informative runs whereas Dark Souls has an informative run and a blind run that is co-commentated by the best tour guides to the world of Dark Souls.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Whatever the newest one is.

I guess I should shelve that one then?

There is also Diablo 3 which Id like to do with a group. Id be willing to piece it together if needed. Though I am unsure how exciting a loot and grind game would be to watch.

I just want something people will watch mainly. Never done an LP but I have done videos via video games and the like (a la the Skate series and some Fifa).

Soulex fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 10, 2013

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Soulex posted:

Dead island was done in the bad games thread. Why it didn't get on the master list I don't know. And I don't know if it got archived either now that I think about it.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Look, just do whatever game you want to. Don't pay attention to people who tell you that you can't LP a game that's already been done before. It's best that you LP a game that you really like and have a lot to say about. Don't do LP for this reason:

quote:

I just want something people will watch mainly.

You will most likely be disappointed. LP is not a launching pad for popularity.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

gatz posted:

Look, just do whatever game you want to. Don't pay attention to people who tell you that you can't LP a game that's already been done before. It's best that you LP a game that you really like and have a lot to say about. Don't do LP for this reason:

You will most likely be disappointed. LP is not a launching pad for popularity.

Not trying to be popular or anything. Enjoyable content/gameplayight have been the right phrase.

Thanks for the advice. Ill sleep on it and start planning.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

Soulex posted:

Dead Island isnt in the master list archive and isnt requested in the main list. Any reason why it got taken down?

Dead Island was done in the Bad Games thread.

Edit: gently caress, Beaten.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Soulex posted:

Whatever the newest one is.

I guess I should shelve that one then?

There is also Diablo 3 which Id like to do with a group. Id be willing to piece it together if needed. Though I am unsure how exciting a loot and grind game would be to watch.

I just want something people will watch mainly. Never done an LP but I have done videos via video games and the like (a la the Skate series and some Fifa).

In terms of loot and grind games someone already requested the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games be done, which are pretty close approximations of a Diablo game.

The problem with those games, especially if you are running things solo, is that you need to be super interesting or have a lot of knowledge of lore or characters to keep from running out of things to talk about because you can only watch a dwarf kill rats for so long before it gets repetitive.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

gatz posted:

Nope. Don't forget the internet archive banner on top.

I just realized that this is on the list in the OP. It's been done, so it might as well be removed.

Alright, so within a span of about 4 posts I see "don't do Metal Wolf Chaos" and "do Metal Wolf Chaos anyway if you think it's fun" - should I just go ahead and do my own video LP?

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

vibratingsheep posted:

Alright, so within a span of about 4 posts I see "don't do Metal Wolf Chaos" and "do Metal Wolf Chaos anyway if you think it's fun" - should I just go ahead and do my own video LP?

Yes, but be aware that if the game has already been done, unless you're really funny/informative/bringing something new to the table, there might not be as much discussion since the game has already been LP'd.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

gatz posted:

Yes, but be aware that if the game has already been done, unless you're really funny/informative/bringing something new to the table, there might not be as much discussion since the game has already been LP'd.

I'm totally okay with that. Thanks for the clarification!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Also, in counterpoint, keep in mind the game was LP'd five years ago, and has to be accessed outside the regular archives. I think that's a case for saying you'll probably be okay retreading that ground.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Lance Streetman posted:

From what I've heard, the game had a lot of problems (mostly related to the combat and multiplayer), and felt rather half-assed compared to Level-5's other games. Plus it ends on a cliffhanger that leads to the second (equally disappointing) game. So that might be related to nobody LPing it.
I actually have no idea what the game's story, development, and reception was. The only thing I can recall from it was like, in 2008 or something, they released a gameplay video and the combat seemed to be a hybrid of real-time and turn-based choosing skills stuff. Why I recall it is because it was setting up to be this BIG EPIC LAND WAR thing and in the end the blond-haired protagonist activated a mechsuit and I was like, "loving seriously?"

And my curiosity never went away completely.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'd like to see a playthrough of Guardian Heroes on here. But, considering the different paths and stuff, it might actually work better as a Hybrid LP where people vote which path to take after watching the combat?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

gatz posted:

Admittedly, at this point high-quality videos would qualify as "bringing something new to the table."

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Admittedly, at this point high-quality videos would qualify as "bringing something new to the table."

I can do that!

TiamosLoren
Apr 20, 2013

ritcheyz posted:

I'm planning to do really in-depth completionist runs of every Halo game at some point in the future, because no one's shown off the immense amount of easter eggs and secrets those games have.

I'd be willing to lend a hand and join in for the LP's, especially when it comes to some of the easter eggs. If I recall (namely for Reach) it's very helpful if you have at least two players for some of the easter eggs that are available in the games. It also makes completing the game a bit easier on the head for things like Legendary runs because of the power of respawning (unless we're talking about using skulls).

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

I just remembered that, in the last thread, you recommended some original xbox game that was supposed to be like 'modern warfare before modern warfare' or something. Is that on the list?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

gatz posted:

I just remembered that, in the last thread, you recommended some original xbox game that was supposed to be like 'modern warfare before modern warfare' or something. Is that on the list?

You mean Shadow Ops: Red Mercury? No, I don't see it. It's another one that I was thinking about doing myself if no one took it because that is how I choose what to LP these days.

Edit: And if you want to play it on Windows and don't already have a copy you are hosed, no download service has it. I used to own an Xbox copy of it, but I'm about 100% sure I gave it to my brother with the original Xbox years ago and I know for sure that was all sold off.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 14, 2013

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I would like to request The puppeteer the game came out in September, and is one of the most charming games of the year.

My only concern is how it could be LP'd since theres a lot of talking in it.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
So I was checking out the archive and I notice that Coulis' LP of Castlevania Lords of Shadow was taken off blip. Is there any way to let him know of this? I was hoping to check out his opinions on the gameplay.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Highwang posted:

So I was checking out the archive and I notice that Coulis' LP of Castlevania Lords of Shadow was taken off blip. Is there any way to let him know of this? I was hoping to check out his opinions on the gameplay.

It's on the Internet Archive link in that page. Lots of people tend to miss those links though. Do people mistake the banner for an advertisement or something?

In other news, it's the Third Anniversary of Shinyness!

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!

VoidBurger posted:

If you want a quick fix for Outlast, you may want to check out Kamoc's archived stream of it. I guest commentated on both, and ChipCheezum joined us in episode 2.

Sorry to say that it's not really scary at all, it's mostly pretty stupid. Here's the absolute highpoint of the stream (NSFW):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=667JFnDqqJE

Awesome! I will check that out. Thanks.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

pichupal posted:

It's on the Internet Archive link in that page. Lots of people tend to miss those links though. Do people mistake the banner for an advertisement or something?

In other news, it's the Third Anniversary of Shinyness!

Its directly below the message telling people to turn off adblock, so I'm assuming that's a placeholder for what the ad should be. Odds are if thats the case then yeah I'd imagine people mistake it for an ad as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Avernum can probably be removed considering the existence of the excellent Exile 1 LP. Avernum's a remake of the remake of that game, but story/environment-wise it's quite similar, and the combat (i.e. the main thing the [re]remake does differently) isn't really the focus of such LPs.

• Locked thread