Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Yeah, I've realised that it's actually gonna present some problems if I try to be that indiscriminate about it now that I've done A through E going by the basic system of "if ongoing, if in archives, mark as abandoned".

For one thing, something like Ironicus' Dungeons and Dragons thread, which has fallen into archives, is hard to really classify as anything. Did the campaign they were playing actually reach its conclusion? Was it really something that could finish?

For another, the various Dwarf Fortress LPs and Elder Scrolls LPs also don't really seem like you can instantly categorise them. Dwarf Fortress, to my knowledge, is a game that doesn't really have an ending at all, and the Elder Scrolls games have their main storyline and then a fucktonne of sidequests.

So I skipped over those and then saw the Fez LP near the top of the list of ongoing LPs beginning with "F". And I know that it actually did finish, but wasn't updated. So yeah, it's not a perfect system. I'm thinking it'll require more than one person and for whoever does it to have archives access. It just seems like without casting a wide net like what I was doing initially, the archive will never be up-to-date in that regard; and while most people will say something like that doesn't especially matter, I think it's fairly important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I think for things that don't necessarily have a finish, it's fair to say when the OP is done with it. I think there's some stuff where, particularly if I'm not familiar with the game, I'd end up leaving it or having to ask the OP/someone who was following it if they know.

I started working up from Z and it seemed like there weren't many that had been finished - I think pretty much everyone gets their stuff archived when it's done. I've got archives, so if you can get a list of the ones you did from your browser history or something, I'm happy to check the ones you set as abandoned and then fix it.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

e: ^ yeah, seems like archiving is generally done but I wouldn't really want to blanket that, either. I've seen people explicitly say 'yeah I don't think this is really worth archiving' before.

For those examples I tend to count them as 'finished' if the LPer says 'thread's over, I'm stopping here', rather than just not posting any more, even though in terms of content posts those things could be identical.

I agree it's a helpful thing to fill in, it's just that outside of doing a sweep of the list it's reliant on someone following the thread to notice when it finishes, or is clearly abandoned, to update it. It's difficult.

Polsy fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 29, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Blue Ghost posted:

That's what the first part of Big Oil is for. 8 Million total cash for about 6-8 minutes of work.

With the Super bowl on the horizon I've been thinking if there would be any merit to look at the Madden NFL games over the years (not all of them of course but maybe every fourth one or every time a new generation comes along).

I think that would make a good stream for someone who wanted to show off a game from each console generation the series has appeared on. It also has to include Madden Football 64, a game which had no NFL licensing despite the Playstation version having real teams, players and bowl game names.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I'm still glad to hear someone is taking up the daunting task of checking the whole LP list. Even if there are mistakes, those can always be corrected, so I'm glad the groundwork is being done.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'd advise anybody with LP's under their belt to at least go through the master list themselves and check on their own LP's just to make sure everything's good there. I noticed my current one wasn't added until I did so myself a few days ago. Just takes a couple minutes and simple to do, instructions are in the Sandcastle OP.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

MooCowlian posted:

I think for things that don't necessarily have a finish, it's fair to say when the OP is done with it. I think there's some stuff where, particularly if I'm not familiar with the game, I'd end up leaving it or having to ask the OP/someone who was following it if they know.

I started working up from Z and it seemed like there weren't many that had been finished - I think pretty much everyone gets their stuff archived when it's done. I've got archives, so if you can get a list of the ones you did from your browser history or something, I'm happy to check the ones you set as abandoned and then fix it.

Sure, if you gimme your Skype info, I'll add you and we'll get started on it when I've got a free day.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
I'd love to see an LP of Goblin Commander: Unleash the Horde (PS2/Gamecube era).

Mega64 posted:

I'd advise anybody with LP's under their belt to at least go through the master list themselves and check on their own LP's just to make sure everything's good there. I noticed my current one wasn't added until I did so myself a few days ago. Just takes a couple minutes and simple to do, instructions are in the Sandcastle OP.

Speaking of which, it might help to have this thread linked in the Sandcastle OP, since the one in there now is out of date.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Mega64 posted:

I usually just maintain my own LP entries in the master list. If I don't do it, who will? I can't rely on some random guy watching my thread to do it for me.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Should an abandoned thread where almost all of the images are broken still be added to the Master List for completeness' sake? Checking on my own LPs, I found my Path of Radiance LP and some other guy's extremely short-lived VLP attempt but not gandhichan's abandoned LP.

E: I am a stupid head. Disregard this.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 30, 2014

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Fedule posted:

Should an abandoned thread where almost all of the images are broken still be added to the Master List for completeness' sake? Checking on my own LPs, I found my Path of Radiance LP and some other guy's extremely short-lived VLP attempt but not gandhichan's abandoned LP.

E: I am a stupid head. Disregard this.

Don't see why it couldn't hurt. I recently added a LP I abandoned a few months ago just in case anyone ends up wanting to LP the game in the future and wants a reference point.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

frozentreasure posted:

Yeah, I've realised that it's actually gonna present some problems if I try to be that indiscriminate about it now that I've done A through E going by the basic system of "if ongoing, if in archives, mark as abandoned".

For one thing, something like Ironicus' Dungeons and Dragons thread, which has fallen into archives, is hard to really classify as anything. Did the campaign they were playing actually reach its conclusion? Was it really something that could finish?

For another, the various Dwarf Fortress LPs and Elder Scrolls LPs also don't really seem like you can instantly categorise them. Dwarf Fortress, to my knowledge, is a game that doesn't really have an ending at all, and the Elder Scrolls games have their main storyline and then a fucktonne of sidequests.

So I skipped over those and then saw the Fez LP near the top of the list of ongoing LPs beginning with "F". And I know that it actually did finish, but wasn't updated. So yeah, it's not a perfect system. I'm thinking it'll require more than one person and for whoever does it to have archives access. It just seems like without casting a wide net like what I was doing initially, the archive will never be up-to-date in that regard; and while most people will say something like that doesn't especially matter, I think it's fairly important.

There's also LPs that got "abandoned" but then the OP made a new thread to put new updates in since the old thread was in archives, such as Color Printer's ongoing Strong Bad's Cool Game for Awesome People LP.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

whitehelm posted:

There's also LPs that got "abandoned" but then the OP made a new thread to put new updates in since the old thread was in archives, such as Color Printer's ongoing Strong Bad's Cool Game for Awesome People LP.

I saw a couple of those when I did A through E, and if there was a new thread made after the old one fell into archives, it was on the list as well, so I listed the old ones as abandoned and left the new ones as ongoing. The threads that fell into archives would still count as abandoned, for categorisation purposes, I'm sure.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

While there is already a (very excellent) Dante's Inferno LP, it is kinda old. I'd kinda like to see a new one that takes a different approach towards the game. Maybe more analytic, or compare/contrast with the poem, or something.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Hey, no one's done a Wii U game yet. I'm sure Chip Cheezum has The Wonderful 101 covered eventually, but you know what else is a surprisingly good Wii U game that probably no one thinks about except for the occasional goon in the Wii U discussion thread? Lego City Undercover. It's surprisingly funny and witty in the same way that MySims Agents was, and it has enough unique features that aren't in other Lego games. There'd be a stumble in that the gamepad is used for some gamepad-specific things and there's no way to record from it that I know of, but that game needs to be shown off. Maybe it would inspire some more goons to pick it up and justify their Wii U purchase a tad. :v:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
A friend and I actually looked into doing Lego City, but the problem is that there's really nothing to say about anything other the missions. We found that there just really wasn't a whole lot to talk about when you're just loving around in the city, and that's what makes up about 90% of Lego City's playtime. I'm sure with better planning (having a route in mind, some conversation topics you want to hit, etc) you could make it work, but there is just so much stuff in that game that you'll run out of interesting things to say about it long before you're done.

E: That said, the game is really good and I'd love to see someone take a proper crack at it.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I can see that. It doesn't have to be 100% completion though - the LP could probably coast by on showing off the main story, some loving-around-in-the-city, some of the cool optional things, and so on. You probably don't have to show off getting every single token in the game.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So the family guy LP was abandoned. Has anyone taken it up or will take it up?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Herr Tog posted:

So the family guy LP was abandoned. Has anyone taken it up or will take it up?
How do you know it was abandoned and nope, no one will do that game.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Niggurath posted:

How do you know it was abandoned and nope, no one will do that game.

OP quoted a post about how the LP should end with the thread locked and then the OP locked the thread and said how he didn't wanna finish the game.

Someone has to do it for my pleasure.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Wild Knight posted:

I can see that. It doesn't have to be 100% completion though - the LP could probably coast by on showing off the main story, some loving-around-in-the-city, some of the cool optional things, and so on. You probably don't have to show off getting every single token in the game.

Oh god no, I wouldn't wish a 100% playthrough on anyone. I've been at it for over 40 hours and I still only have like 80% myself. :shepicide:

No, the problem is really that even with cutting out all the superfluous stuff, you're still looking a mountain of content that's pretty similar. For the sake of argument, we'll say that each main area gets a video for exploration and loving around, with some of the smaller stuff (like the bridges) combined into one video. That's still going to leave you with about 18 videos for the city, and that's assuming you only go through each area once. Because the of the way that jobs unlock in Lego City, you can't even show off everything until after you've beaten the game, so either you don't do any exploration videos until the postgame (which would get really samey really quickly) or you have to go back and revisit the areas when there really isn't a whole to say about them in the first place. It's unfortunate, but Lego City just isn't really set up in a way that makes for a good LP without heavy, heavy editing.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Wild Knight posted:

Hey, no one's done a Wii U game yet. I'm sure Chip Cheezum has The Wonderful 101 covered eventually, but you know what else is a surprisingly good Wii U game that probably no one thinks about except for the occasional goon in the Wii U discussion thread? Lego City Undercover. It's surprisingly funny and witty in the same way that MySims Agents was, and it has enough unique features that aren't in other Lego games. There'd be a stumble in that the gamepad is used for some gamepad-specific things and there's no way to record from it that I know of, but that game needs to be shown off. Maybe it would inspire some more goons to pick it up and justify their Wii U purchase a tad. :v:

I'm fully expecting pokecapn and co to do Sonic Lost World as the first Wii U game on the subforum.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Could someone LP Rune Factory 4 so I can live vicariously through them? With it being cancelled in EU it is probably the only way I am going to see it in action. Same with Shin Megami Tensei 4 as there is about 1% chance that is coming here too.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yeah, I don't a 3DS, so Shin Megami Tensei 4 is going to be one of the first SMT games I've missed in a while. Looking forward to that one being done.

MonotoneMorgan
Nov 20, 2013

The saddest day in Octavian's life was the day he was asked to shave his mustache.

Samael posted:

Could someone LP Rune Factory 4 so I can live vicariously through them? With it being cancelled in EU it is probably the only way I am going to see it in action. Same with Shin Megami Tensei 4 as there is about 1% chance that is coming here too.

Seriously!? I hate the region locking on the 3DS... such utter bs...
That or like with Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward it comes to the EU with no English dub track.

Either way, I look forward to SMT4 and RF4 if someone LPs it. Can I also request a narrative LP of Harvest Moon: A New Beginning 3DS?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm putting a request in for Starcraft 1. Turns out that all of the other ones were abandoned. :smith:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
RTSes seem to be cursed for LPs.

You know, that or they're a difficult genre of game to cover.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
It's been too long since there's been a Let's Play of Blood 2, the one Let's Play that exists has not been archived, and there's a Let's Play Bad Games thread that's pretty perfect for it.

I think it would also be pretty worth it to show off how much worse it's version of Lithtech is compared to the one used in Shogo, and how it had no actual goddamn programmers working on it.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Speaking of SMT stuff, I would like to see a new LP of Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2. The LP that exists right now was great when I read it but unfortunately many of the images are now missing from the archive. It was also done as a New Game+ run, and I'd like to see one from the start on a fresh file.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Speaking of SMT stuff, I would like to see a new LP of Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2. The LP that exists right now was great when I read it but unfortunately many of the images are now missing from the archive. It was also done as a New Game+ run, and I'd like to see one from the start on a fresh file.

Me too.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Me three. I love me some PS2-era SMT games, and the soundtrack in DDS was awesome.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Rome: Total War.

Serious and traditional LP showing off the game and doing some history stuff, I love the Scotsmen in Egypt type narrative LPs but those have been done and done well already, and the original Rome is awesome and what got me into the series.

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 9, 2014

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
I'd like to see someone LP Diablo 3 since apparently it's getting an expansion and has had most of it's big problems fixed now.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Smornstein posted:

I'd like to see someone LP Diablo 3 since apparently it's getting an expansion and has had most of it's big problems fixed now.

A major patch is going to drop around the same time as the expansion that will be changing up a lot of stuff, so we probably won't be seeing any serious plans for an LP until the expansion drops.

Melufa
Aug 14, 2011
Seeing as someone is currently doing another LP of SaGa Frontier that looks to be turning out well, I'd love for a proper LP of Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song. Both the previous attempts seemed to have died off really quickly, and its such an amazing game. Screenshot preferred as well.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

azren posted:

While there is already a (very excellent) Dante's Inferno LP, it is kinda old. I'd kinda like to see a new one that takes a different approach towards the game. Maybe more analytic, or compare/contrast with the poem, or something.

Doing an analytic compare/contrast of Dante's Inferno is my dream LP project. Someday...:gbsmith:

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Byzantine posted:

Doing an analytic compare/contrast of Dante's Inferno is my dream LP project. Someday...:gbsmith:

What's there to say? Didn't they just turn Dante's Inferno into a superficial hack & slash time-waster?

On another note, what's stopping you from doing the LP now?

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

I'd like to request a video lp of geist for the gamecube, I checked the master list and it was abandoned twice by the same guy.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

gatz posted:

On another note, what's stopping you from doing the LP now?

Nothing to record PS3 footage and a job with a currently bad schedule for LPing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Byzantine posted:

Nothing to record PS3 footage and a job with a currently bad schedule for LPing.
I had actually thought of doing a new Dante's Inferno LP, though I was worried about being sincerely lacking in the knowledge of the original poems. So if you ever were inclined to do it and coordinate something, I'd be more than happy to work with in recording and editing poo poo.

• Locked thread